Petition started to restore lost bus service in Mid and Southern Brooklyn

Via Garibaldi 8

After writing to several representatives last month about the loss of local and express bus service across the city, I finally heard back from one of them. Senator Golden's office wrote to me this morning about the petition that has been started to fully restore weekend service to the X27 and X28.

Restoration of lost service to the B2 and B31 is currently being looked into as well. I wrote back to the Director of Community Affairs who works in Senator Golden's office, inquiring about the need to fully restore the lost B4 service as well, which has had a severe impact on the economy of Sheepshead Bay IMO and has forced me to significantly change my travel patterns when visiting friends back in my old neighbourhood or running my normal errands that I do down there. I know I certainly do not spend as much money down there as I used to because of the lack of bus service in the area. Before the cuts, I would run my errands and then go and relax at a restaurant somewhere and have drinks or whatever, but now I just run my errands and jump back on the BM3. If we can successfully restore some of this lost service to Mid and Southern Brooklyn, I will then push to have other service restored as well, but for now my focus has been on the X27, X28, B2, B4 and B31.

In the meantime, she sent me a petition to sign for the X27 and X28. If anyone is interested in signing it, please feel free to PM me. Thanks. :cool:

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
After writing to several representatives last month about the loss of local and express bus service across the city, I finally heard back from one of them. Senator Golden's office wrote to me this morning about the petition that has been started to fully restore weekend service to the X27 and X28.

Restoration of lost service to the B2 and B31 is currently being looked into as well. I wrote back to the Director of Community Affairs who works in Senator Golden's office, inquiring about the need to fully restore the lost B4 service as well, which has had a severe impact on the economy of Sheepshead Bay IMO and has forced me to significantly change my travel patterns when visiting friends back in my old neighbourhood or running my normal errands that I do down there. I know I certainly do not spend as much money down there as I used to because of the lack of bus service in the area. Before the cuts, I would run my errands and then go and relax at a restaurant somewhere and have drinks or whatever, but now I just run my errands and jump back on the BM3. If we can successfully restore some of this lost service to Mid and Southern Brooklyn, I will then push to have other service restored as well, but for now my focus has been on the X27, X28, B2, B4 and B31.

In the meantime, she sent me a petition to sign for the X27 and X28. If anyone is interested in signing it, please feel free to PM me. Thanks. :cool:

Not to beat a dead horse but in case of compromise for restoring here what should happen since I used to live in SW Brooklyn.

1)Restore Saturday service on the X27/28 running every hour appx. 7am-11pm.

2)B31 does not need overnight service IMO. The (B31) was a ghost town on runs between 1-5am even with 30-60 minute headways. With gas prices going up the (MTA)can't afford to cut back on buses with *zero* ridership.

3)restore full time 7-day (B2) including weekends. Weekdays the (B2) should run 530am-1am. Saturdays 6am-Midnight and Sundays 8am-11pm.

4)Maybe the most dumb service cut of the doomsday June 2010 service was with the (B4). As I said before the B4 should run at all times between Narrows/78th in Bay Ridge and the Sheapshead Bay station. Extend it to Knapp Street Weekdays-Saturdays until Midnight and Sunday Nights until about 10pm.

Just my takes.

Not to beat a dead horse but in case of compromise for restoring here what should happen since I used to live in SW Brooklyn.

1)Restore Saturday service on the X27/28 running every hour appx. 7am-11pm.

2)B31 does not need overnight service IMO. The (B31) was a ghost town on runs between 1-5am even with 30-60 minute headways. With gas prices going up the (MTA)can't afford to cut back on buses with *zero* ridership.

3)restore full time 7-day (B2) including weekends. Weekdays the (B2) should run 530am-1am. Saturdays 6am-Midnight and Sundays 8am-11pm.

4)Maybe the most dumb service cut of the doomsday June 2010 service was with the (B4). As I said before the B4 should run at all times between Narrows/78th in Bay Ridge and the Sheapshead Bay station. Extend it to Knapp Street Weekdays-Saturdays until Midnight and Sunday Nights until about 10pm.

Just my takes.

Just to be clear, the goal of X27/X28 riders is to restore full weekend service to what we had before the cuts. I don't know if 30 minute headways are necessary, but I do think that Saturday and Sunday service is needed for both lines, so this petition is for nothing less than that.

As far the B31 goes, the (MTA) has provided NO alternative for over night service, and there is nothing serving Gerritsen Beach over night. They wouldn't even consider re-routing the B3. You cannot leave a community with no transportation at all in the entire neighbourhood. I can personally vouch for how long of a walk it is for folks in Gerritsen Beach with no B31 service, as I have friends who live near Lois Ave, which is at the end of Gerritsen Beach.

The B2 should also be fully restored. IMO, Mid and Southern Brooklyn are always short ended when it comes to public transportation as it is and transportation is generally more spread out in those areas, so I have to disagree with you on most fronts. These local buses serve folks who don't have any subway service within walking distance, nor any other real alternatives and nothing less than headways of 30 minutes should be restored. If the (MTA) has money to waste on real estate deals, etc. then they can find the money to restore service to communities that have no other alternatives. That is what their primary function is supposed to be and if they need to make cuts, make it in the overbloated staff that they have, not on the backs of communities that need the service. Cuts to service should always be the last thing on the table.

The (B31) and (B2) for restoring full 7-day or even 24-hour service is a better argument. However The X27/28 was dead on almost all trips on Sundays. I refuse to have my fare raised to $3.00 to pay for service that a handul of people use. Wasting gas when prices are now $4.00-plus a gallon that matter now in running buses.

If the X27/28 gets Sunday service then so should the (BM1) and (BM2) and X-17 which is related on this case.

Saturday X27/28 should never been cut which I agree. Sunday service had zero riders. Garbaldi you very stubborn and this is about being fair. I even blasted the (MTA) for running the BM2 on Sundays so this is not an anti-Brooklyn thing.

Just to be clear, the goal of X27/X28 riders is to restore full weekend service to what we had before the cuts. I don't know if 30 minute headways are necessary, but I do think that Saturday and Sunday service is needed for both lines, so this petition is for nothing less than that.

As far the B31 goes, the (MTA) has provided NO alternative for over night service, and there is nothing serving Gerritsen Beach over night. They wouldn't even consider re-routing the B3. You cannot leave a community with no transportation at all in the entire neighbourhood. I can personally vouch for how long of a walk it is for folks in Gerritsen Beach with no B31 service, as I have friends who live near Lois Ave, which is at the end of Gerritsen Beach.

The B2 should also be fully restored. IMO, Mid and Southern Brooklyn are always short ended when it comes to public transportation as it is and transportation is generally more spread out in those areas, so I have to disagree with you on most fronts. These local buses serve folks who don't have any subway service within walking distance, nor any other real alternatives and nothing less than headways of 30 minutes should be restored. If the (MTA) has money to waste on real estate deals, etc. then they can find the money to restore service to communities that have no other alternatives. That is what their primary function is supposed to be and if they need to make cuts, make it in the overbloated staff that they have not on the backs of communities that need the service. Cuts to service should always be the last thing on the table.

The (B31) and (B2) for restoring full 7-day or even 24-hour service is a better argument. However The X27/28 was dead on almost all trips on Sundays. I refuse to have my fare raised to $3.00 to pay for service that a handul of people use. Wasting gas when prices are now $4.00-plus a gallon that matter now in running buses.

If the X27/28 gets Sunday service then so should the (BM1) and (BM2) and X-17 which is related on this case.

Saturday X27/28 should never been cut which I agree. Sunday service had zero riders. Garbaldi you very stubborn and this is about being fair. I even blasted the (MTA) for running the BM2 on Sundays so this is not an anti-Brooklyn thing.

You can call it stubborn if you like, but the restoration of service would benefit me personally. Not only that, but this issue with the (MTA) goes further than that for me. They've always got money to burn on wasteful projects, but when it comes to providing service to the more suburban parts of the city they're quick to cut the service. To be honest with you, my goal is also to push for Sunday service for the BM1 and BM3 and BM4 as well with Mr. Golden, since he represents those areas of South Brooklyn too, so don't be surprised if there is a ruckus started for that either. However, Rome wasn't built in a day, so I'm going little by little and focusing on the most pressing issues one at a time. As much as you may disagree with the full restoration of the X27 and X28, the fact of the matter is it has a chance to be pushed through mainly because of folks like me and the residents in those areas who are determined to get it back. :tup:

I too believe that the X17 should run on Sundays and it should be extended to run past 20:30 on Saturday evenings.

You can call it stubborn if you like, but the restoration of service would benefit me personally. Not only that, but this issue with the (MTA) goes further than that for me. They've always got money to burn on wasteful projects, but when it comes to providing service to the more suburban parts of the city they're quick to cut the service. To be honest with you, my goal is also to push for Sunday service for the BM1 and BM3 and BM4 as well with Mr. Golden, since he represents those areas of South Brooklyn too, so don't be surprised if there is a ruckus started for that either. However, Rome wasn't built in a day, so I'm going little by little and focusing on the most pressing issues one at a time, and the X27 and X28 has a chance to be pushed through mainly because of folks like me and the residents in those areas who are determined to get it back. :tup:

For that matter Garbaldi let bring back the X29 and have Sunday BM4 when during weekdays that do not get that much ridership outside of rush hours. Plus run all Staten Island and Queens, Bronx and Brooklyn express buses 24/7 just for you. Plus rename them the Garbaldi express lines.:eek:

While the rest of NYC bus/subway riders will have $4.00 basic fares. Or the option of driving with $4.-$5 fares.

That really cool.

B2, B4: Yes, yes yes!!!

B31: If only we can make it cost-neutral, as its network coverage.

x27, x28: NO. Nobody rode the buses, esp on Sunday, it's not worth restoring them. There's always alternates.

BM Sunday service??? No!!! They're already horrendously inefficient on Saturdays, that's why the MTA reduced their operating hours.

For that matter Garbaldi let bring back the X29 and have Sunday BM4 when during weekdays that do not get that much ridership outside of rush hours. Plus run all Staten Island and Queens, Bronx and Brooklyn express buses 24/7 just for you. Plus rename them the Garbaldi express lines.:eek:

While the rest of NYC bus/subway riders will have $4.00 basic fares. Or the option of driving with $4.-$5 fares.

That really cool.

LOL... Yeah, well it would be one of the FEW times that suburban areas in the city were actually given an abundance of service by the (MTA). I don't see anyone complaining about the abundance in staff though. That's rarely seen as a problem. Let's instead attack the suburban communities and rob them of their basic transportation services, instead of cutting the fat of the high ups. As for the X29, I think the BM3 serves as a sufficent alternative. If anything it could be extended to the former X29 terminus via Neptune Avenue.

x27, x28: NO. Nobody rode the buses, esp on Sunday, it's not worth restoring them. There's always alternates.

BM Sunday service??? No!!! They're already horrendously inefficient on Saturdays, that's why the MTA reduced their operating hours.

You're right, there's always alternatives. The problem is that the (MTA) provides none. LOL

Being fair Amtrak, the X27/28 did had 'descent' ridership on Saturdays. Plus most of the stations on the (D)(N) and (R) in SW Brooklyn are not ADA accessible for the huge Senior/Disabled communities down there.

Thus Only Saturday X27/28 service should be restored.

How about restoring Coney Island service to the (B64). I didn't mind the flip-flop of the (B1) WB termini, but screwing them out of service to Stillwell was just ridiculous

Agreed. That other than restoring full 7-day (B4) service to Sheapshead Bay should be more urgent than even restoring at least Saturday X27/28 service.

How about restoring Coney Island service to the (B64). I didn't mind the flip-flop of the (B1) WB termini, but screwing them out of service to Stillwell was just ridiculous

The B64 flip flop was completely ridiculous and yes, it should be restored fully. :tup: Like I said, I'm doing a little at a time, so we have to wait and see how this X27/X28 thing goes first as that has some steam behind it. The B2 and B31 restoration is just talk.

Would the restoration of the B37 count as South Brooklyn service? I'm surprised that wasn't brought up. At least give it service from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. weekdays only, the B63 is a nightmare and not everyone can take the train because none of the stations south of Atlantic/Pacific have ADA.

Would the restoration of the B37 count as South Brooklyn service? I'm surprised that wasn't brought up. At least give it service from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. weekdays only, the B63 is a nightmare and not everyone can take the train because none of the stations south of Atlantic/Pacific have ADA.

The B37 was somewhat addressed via re-routed buses in Bay Ridge. The argument was that it heavily used in Fort Hamilton/Bay Ridge, but yes, I do agree that the B37 could be restored as well for South Brooklyn.

The B2 should also be fully restored. IMO, Mid and Southern Brooklyn are always short ended when it comes to public transportation as it is and transportation is generally more spread out in those areas, so I have to disagree with you on most fronts. These local buses serve folks who don't have any subway service within walking distance, nor any other real alternatives and nothing less than headways of 30 minutes should be restored. If the (MTA) has money to waste on real estate deals, etc. then they can find the money to restore service to communities that have no other alternatives. That is what their primary function is supposed to be and if they need to make cuts, make it in the overbloated staff that they have, not on the backs of communities that need the service. Cuts to service should always be the last thing on the table.

I agree with you about the b2 being fully restored, but from a person who has done the last run on the b31 for one pick I think the mta made the right decision in cutting over night service on the 31. after 10pm i would ride empty from gerritsen beach to the train station and a majority of people i picked up from the train station got off at or before avenue u. only 3-5 people would be on my bus after that and would get off at any stop from seba ave to lois until 12am. My last trip leaving the train station at 105am I would pick up no one going past avenue u except for a train op once in a blue. The hawk used to be practically empty the entire night. I say why even bother trying to reroute the b3 overnight to add service there if no one is really going to use it.

I would also support a B64 Coney Island resumption.

As for the B37, a weekday-only, reduced-span, half-hourly Third Avenue service may work, depending on how the ridership was north of Bay Ridge Av.

I agree with you about the b2 being fully restored, but from a person who has done the last run on the b31 for one pick I think the mta made the right decision in cutting over night service on the 31. after 10pm i would ride empty from gerritsen beach to the train station and a majority of people i picked up from the train station got off at or before avenue u. only 3-5 people would be on my bus after that and would get off at any stop from seba ave to lois until 12am. My last trip leaving the train station at 105am I would pick up no one going past avenue u except for a train op once in a blue. The hawk used to be practically empty the entire night. I say why even bother trying to reroute the b3 overnight to add service there if no one is really going to use it.

Because there are no nearby alternatives. I think the B2 does have the B100 nearby, but I don't how long that runs. With the B31 however, there is nothing, if someone really needs the B31, they are sh*t out of luck.

I would also support a B64 Coney Island resumption.

As for the B37, a weekday-only, reduced-span, half-hourly Third Avenue service may work, depending on how the ridership was north of Bay Ridge Av.

Why not just re-route it (the B37) north of Bay Ridge Avenue to an area where it would be used more?

Because there are no nearby alternatives. I think the B2 does have the B100 nearby, but I don't how long that runs. With the B31 however, there is nothing, someone really needs the B31, they are sh*t out of luck.

B100 runs weekdays appx. 530am-1230am Saturdays 6am-1230am and Sundays 8am-8pm if memory is correct. Saturday headways is every 15-20 minutes and Sundays every 30-60 minutes. Maybe someone here can confirm.

I wonder if customers in SI will follow suit? Restoring weekend service on the (S54) and the (S76). I'm not sure about the (S42)

I have written to Congressman Grimm about service that has been lost on Staten Island as well and have made requests for limited stop service on the S53 and other requests as well like the S54 and the restoration of the X16, but it takes them a while for them to get back to you. I would expect to hear something in the next few weeks.

Because there are no nearby alternatives. I think the B2 does have the B100 nearby, but I don't how long that runs. With the B31 however, there is nothing, someone really needs the B31, they are sh*t out of luck.

Gerristean is not a poor area like East NY or neighborhoods in the South Bronx. While I realize this is not a superrich area either like the Upper East Side, I am sure most folks over there can afford a cab.

My Point is running a bus in an area when no one uses it, in era of high gas prices, is just as a waste as the (MTA) 1,000 managers on staff at their offices at Broadway or Madison Ave.

I can't comment on the X27 and x28, but the B2 isn't needed 24 hours a day. Weekends, probably, but nights no.

You can argue low ridership overnight for many local bus lines, but the question is do you slash all of them and leave communities with no alternatives in a city where people are dependent overall on public transportation?? I personally don't think so. Now I had said that B9 didn't warrant overnight service, but I think there are other alternatives nearby like the B6 and such. I guess I question how much should be cut and where does it stop. People do have to get around. We also can't forget that people do work at night and I'm sure that some of the eliminated overnight service has caused hardship for many riders in general. I think that in order to justify eliminating service, reasonable alternatives should be given.

Gerristean is not a poor area like East NY or neighborhoods in the South Bronx. While I realize this is not a superrich area either like the Upper East Side, I am sure most folks over there can afford a cab.

My Point is running a bus in an area when no one uses it, in era of high gas prices, is just as a waste as the (MTA) 1,000 managers on staff at their offices at Broadway or Madison Ave.

This is exactly my gripe with the (MTA). Their attitude seems to be that more affluent middle class areas like Gerritsen Beach can afford to lose service because folks can afford a cab, even if that cab is causing families economic hardship. It is economic politics at its finest and that is why I am pushing to get service restored in areas such as Gerritsen Beach and Sheepshead Bay. The (MTA) can't tell folks what they can't and cannot afford just because of where they live. They shouldn't be making cuts based on that, but that seems to be the case. Meanwhile, folks like me who have an unlimited Metrocard are being forced to not be able to go certain places because there is no service to those areas. Of course I can afford car service, but why should I have to pay for car service when there is public transportation that goes to these places? In sum I am paying more for less.

You can argue low ridership overnight for many local bus lines, but the question do you slash all of them and leave communities with no alternatives in a city where people are dependent overall on public transportation?? I personally don't think so. Now I had said that B9 didn't warrant overnight service, but I think there are other alternatives nearby like the B6 and such. I guess I question how much should be cut and where does it stop. People do have to get around. We also can't forget that people do work at night and I'm sure that some of the eliminated overnight service has caused hardship for many riders in general. I think that in order to justify eliminating service, reasonable alternatives should be given.

Youre right. Run the B100 at night, since the two lines run a block from each other until Flatbush Avenue. There you have your viable alternative.

Archived