Another Student Metrocard Question....

Hi peeps, I have another question regarding the Studenent Metrocard. Plus maybe some B/O's can shed light on this.

Starting last week on my bus home my student metrocard recived that negative beep from the farebox each time I dip it in. On the farebox it says "too many". What does it mean?:confused:

Hi peeps, I have another question regarding the Studenent Metrocard. Plus maybe some B/O's can shed light on this.

Starting last week on my bus home my student metrocard recived that negative beep from the farebox each time I dip it in. On the farebox it says "too many". What does it mean?:confused:

That's happened to me a few times.

Your Student MetroCard has 3 rides per day on it (or 4 if you live far away from school). When you exceed those 3 rides, it will say "Too Many", and it is up to the bus driver whether or not to let you on.

That happened to me during 9-11 attack.

After eye doctor appointment, I use my Student MetroCard to get on M106, got free transfer to downtown (:P©.

There was no train because of incident.

I was still urge to go to HSES, so I went to 96th St which did not come.

Then I got free transfer to M5 Limited at Riverside Drive/97th St on sardine bus to 72nd St Station.

Then took M57 bus to 57th St/10th Av.

Used up all.

After school, my mom came and M31 came perfect timing.

However, I used up all my Student MetroCard for subway that did not come and it was TOO MANY.

After school, my school bus couldn't come because it was base out of Queens and since my mom paid with her MetroCard, and B/O did not say anything when I went with mom.

That happened to me during 9-11 attack.

After eye doctor appointment, I use my Student MetroCard to get on M106, got free transfer to downtown (:P©.

There was no train because of incident.

I was still urge to go to HSES, so I went to 96th St which did not come.

Then I got free transfer to M5 Limited at Riverside Drive/97th St on sardine bus to 72nd St Station.

Then took M57 bus to 57th St/10th Av.

Used up all.

After school, my mom came and M31 came perfect timing.

However, I used up all my Student MetroCard for subway that did not come and it was TOO MANY.

After school, my school bus couldn't come because it was base out of Queens and since my mom paid with her MetroCard, and B/O did not say anything when I went with mom.

LMAO@ sardine bus.

That's happened to me a few times.

Your Student MetroCard has 3 rides per day on it (or 4 if you live far away from school). When you exceed those 3 rides, it will say "Too Many", and it is up to the bus driver whether or not to let you on.

Actually my Student Metrocard has a total of 9 rides on it. Lately I have been using it 7 times so that leaves two rides left. I'll double check tomorrow to see how much rides are left before my bus home.

Actually my Student Metrocard has a total of 9 rides on it. Lately I have been using it 7 times so that leaves two rides left. I'll double check tomorrow to see how much rides are left before my bus home.

Does that include transfers?

How many students keep quarters & conventional MetroCards on hand in case of emergencies?

I keep a regular card on hand all the time. I've needed to use it more than a few times, whether I ran out of rides or it was late.

How many students keep quarters & conventional MetroCards on hand in case of emergencies?

I have legs that haven't failed on me, either to walk to my destination or jump the turnstile.

I have legs that haven't failed on me, either to walk to my destination or jump the turnstile.

Same here. About five times this year. I usually ask but if he/she says no, as soon as the train comes I'm hoppin'.

Jump the turnstile?? And why can't the $2.25 fare be paid?? I was in high school not that long ago and when I stayed out late, I just paid the fare and that was that. You are risking getting hit with a $60.00 fine or whatever it costs these days. A friend of mine got busted doing that when we were back in high school and had to pay a nice fine several times more than the fare. Maybe I'm missing something, but the whole thing makes no sense.

Does that include transfers?

Good point. I've managed to sqeeze 6 rides out of my Student MetroCard by using the transfers.

Not me.

Jump the turnstile?? And why can't the $2.25 fare be paid?? I was in high school not that long ago and when I stayed out late, I just paid the fare and that was that. You are risking getting hit with a $60.00 fine or whatever it costs these days. A friend of mine got busted doing that when we were back in high school and had to pay a nice fine several times more than the fare. Maybe I'm missing something, but the whole thing makes no sense.

It is a $100 fine, so in order to break even from a fine, you need to jump the turnstile 47 times without getting caught.

There was only really one time when I was out late on the subway, so, although I could've jumped the turnstile, I explained my situation to the Station Agent, just in case there was a cop hiding behind a pole or something like that.

On the bus, it happened a couple of times, but at least on the buses, there aren't any undercover agents, so there is very little risk of getting caught (the worst that could happen is that the B/O refuses to let you on and you wait for the next bus)

Let's not turn this into a farebeating discussion.

It is a $100 fine, so in order to break even from a fine, you need to jump the turnstile 47 times without getting caught.

There was only really one time when I was out late on the subway, so, although I could've jumped the turnstile, I explained my situation to the Station Agent, just in case there was a cop hiding behind a pole or something like that.

On the bus, it happened a couple of times, but at least on the buses, there aren't any undercover agents, so there is very little risk of getting caught (the worst that could happen is that the B/O refuses to let you on and you wait for the next bus)

Let's not turn this into a farebeating discussion.

Yeah, I thought they increased it... No, not turning it into a farebeating discussion. Just trying to understand the logic in jumping the turnstyle for $2.25 as opposed to a $100.00 fine.

Because the risk of getting caught is relatively low. They have the cops hiding out at certain stations, but the risk is still relatively low.

With that in mind, if I don't have a valid MetroCard on me, I'm not the type of person to risk a fine. I'll either ask the station agent so they can vouch for me if a cop sees me, or I'll try to take a parallel bus route.

Because the risk of getting caught is relatively low. They have the cops hiding out at certain stations, but the risk is still relatively low.

With that in mind, if I don't have a valid MetroCard on me, I'm not the type of person to risk a fine. I'll either ask the station agent so they can vouch for me if a cop sees me, or I'll try to take a parallel bus route.

Don't they do crackdowns and such, like they'll focus on several stations and have undercover cops there?

I just simply don't feel like paying, call me a prick :cool:

I think there's a special student Metrocard for kids taking night or weekend classes.

Actually, that is where OPT needs to be careful as to where they send out cards to ensure that the proper program is set.

Also, if you use a Student MetroCard on the wrong day on the subway, a police officer can write a summons.

Well now, you see checkmate has always argued that making the fare cheaper would cut down on farebeating. As you've shown there are those that just don't want to pay.

Your right, I really could care less if the fare was 10 cents. with those 10 cents I could buy a laffy taffy or some other candy.

I remember when I took the (4) at Fordham Road, I used my student metrocard back in 2006 and an undercover cop stopped me. He asked for my metrocard and my I.D. and so I gave it to him and then he let me go. He must have thought the card was not mine or I looked too old to use a student metrocard. I was a senior in high school, just under 18 years old.

Archived