NABI compared to NOVA..(Question)

MiXxDiDdY

"Alright, so I know NOVAs and NABI's are both 40ft long, but why does it seem like NOVA's have way more space, way more seats, and way more standing capacity than the NABI transits?! I hope i'm not the only one who noticed this but can somebody tell me the exact number of seats on NABI, compared to a NOVA, and standing room as well. thanks!"

Our Novas have 33 seats although the maximum seats they can have are 36. Since I've never been on a NABI bus I can't give a critique on them or their specifications.

"Hmmm. that's the thing. I believe the seating on NJT's Novas are configured a lil differently than MTA's. Seems like NJT's Novas also had more space. Idk. I could just be seeing things though."

"Alright, so I know NOVAs and NABI's are both 40ft long, but why does it seem like NOVA's have way more space, way more seats, and way more standing capacity than the NABI transits?! I hope i'm not the only one who noticed this but can somebody tell me the exact number of seats on NABI, compared to a NOVA, and standing room as well. thanks!"

Because of the body frame of the RTSs, they offer quite a bit more space than an Orion or NABI.

According to my training book, a NABI has one less seat than a NOVA. Nova's have 43 while the NABI's (Both Transit and Suburban) have 42. The other difference is the standee capacity. NABI Suburbans cah hold 15 standees while the Transit can hold 20. A Nova can hold 22 standees.

Because of the body frame of the RTSs, they offer quite a bit more space than an Orion or NABI.

Ahh that explains it. I was always thinking it was all the sideways "bench" seats the Novas have (2 in the front, and like 4 in the back), compared to NABIs only having like 4, which are all in the front. I always thought that was why Novas looked so spacious.

According to my training book, a NABI has one less seat than a NOVA. Nova's have 43 while the NABI's (Both Transit and Suburban) have 42. The other difference is the standee capacity. NABI Suburbans cah hold 15 standees while the Transit can hold 20. A Nova can hold 22 standees.

Ha! Never would've expected just a 1 seat and 2 standee difference. Thanks for the info though!

You're welcome. I guess I'm too much of a nerd/geek/dork about these things. Heh.

Yeah your a nerd if you gota bring out the book hahahahahha lol.

Lol I had to bring out my notebook(Keep notes just incase) today because I had a wheelchair.

Yeah your a nerd if you gota bring out the book hahahahahha lol.

Lol I had to bring out my notebook(Keep notes just incase) today because I had a wheelchair.

I bring out the bus map every time I go to NJ!!!!! o and I have em on my laptop!!! I lost count of the amount of schedules I have for SEPTA rtes now dont even get me started on NJT pdfs on my phone!!!!

you're not the only one... it does *feel* like NJT's NABI's are wider/bulkier on the outside, and offers a bit more space on the inside

somethin like the difference (in outward appearance, at least) b/w a caravan & an SUV like a Chevy Tahoe....

Crazy enough, when the NABI came to the north garages first, most drivers thought it was SHORTER than the Nova's. Until someone actually sized it up was when people stop thinking it was smaller.

How is the 84 line??? what lines in hudson county are the most reliable and which ones bunch alot??? Which ones need to become gobus rtes???

How is the 84 line??? what lines in hudson county are the most reliable and which ones bunch alot??? Which ones need to become gobus rtes???

Actually, the local routes in Hudson County don't necessarily need a limited stop service like GoBus. It would not be too beneficial.

80 & 87, I really can't give a good answer since I only been on it seldom. Yet, when the 87 starts in Hoboken, it's a crowd at times. At least 20-30 people at Hoboken Terminal. By the time it gets to Congress Street, it picked up another 10-15 more.

81 - I only took it once but it wasn't bad. Not crowded.

82 - Driven it in the PM rush. It's not bad. One trip is a issue, and it's when Dickerson HS is out for the day. The bus will get full in a hurry. SUPER STANDING ROOM.

83 - Very busy line, IMO, from Hackensack to JC. The best thing they did was add Sunday service, especially with the new Wal-Mart on Tonnelle Ave in North Bergen

84 - Bergenline Avenue will always be a pain in the ass. From 60th to 49th street, it can take 25 minutes instead of 10 during parts of the afternoon, the rush during the weekdays. ALL DAY SATURDAY and SUNDAY from 1pm to 8pm from 60th to 32nd Street, BRING A BOOK. BRING A IPOD. BRING A DATE TO MAKE OUT ON THE BUS. BRING SOMETHING. It'll take the bus a HOUR - 75 minutes to get to 32nd. You got the damn Dollar buses, the 22, & the 159. It's a mess. You got double parked cars. You got idiots that want to stop traffic to look instead of keeping traffic going. It's a mess. Note, from what the older drivers told me before the dollar vans came into existance, the 84 used to run ever 5 minutes. It was that severely crowded. The Park Avenue service that is there now, it wasn't like that years ago. In actually, the 84 added more Park Avenue service now than what they had before. Take a look:

OLD:

http://classic-web.archive.org/web/20030410075307/http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/bus/T1084.pdf

NOW:

http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/bus/T0084.pdf

85 - Summit Avenue is a goldmine for passengers, as the 83 is. The difference is the 85 runs later than the 83, which comes to play to the Super Walmart in Secaucus. The last 85 leaves from there at 1:12 am, DAILY. It's a big line. So big that every Sunday that I used to do it, I hated it. Not because of the route, because you got so many damn people. Two round trips, the fairbox turns in about $500. You have 90% cash fares, 8% transfers, and 2% monthly passes. (That's my opinion). The best thing NJT did was add service on weekends to ease the overcrowding, because it was so bad. I had to tell passengers that I can't take them because I had a full bus. By the time I got to Walmart, I went from 70 passengers inside (Including children sitting on parents laps) to 3. I am not kidding. THREE. That's how significant the Walmart move was. And with the hours that the 85 was operating, it made it more significant. Example:

OLD: When the old MILL CREEK MALL WAS STILL OPEN until 2007

http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/bus/T0085.pdf'>http://classic-web.archive.org/web/20030914192749/http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/bus/T0085.pdf

CURRENT:

http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/bus/T0085.pdf

86 - Busy during the Rush for people wanting to get from JC to Union City, especially people from Exchange Place. 86 Changed SO MANY TIMES in the last 10 years, it was hard to keep up. For one, the 86 used to operate VIA BERGENLINE, not PARK AVENUE on some trips, and end at 91st Street. That changed years later to where it is now, where the line ends on 49th and Bergenline. It was only Late August 2007 when NJT stop having the 86 end on 91st Street during the PM rush, and having all 86 buses stop and start at the Bergenline Lightrail Station.

89 - That line doesn't get crazy busy but it gets heavy at times, especially druing the weekends and the rush, especially for people taking the PATH as ppl dont want to wait for a 126. If they see a 22 or a 89, they'll hop on it since it'll go down Washington Street.

121- Meh. BS Line really. Not really heavy.

122 - Secaucus Cul-de-sac: BUSY. It's amazing how many people wants that bus from the Cul-de-sac when I did it.

123 - BUSY. BUSY. BUSY.

124 - Prison line. ******** from UPS tried to attack a fellow driver because a undercover NJT officer arrested 2 passengers for fare evasion.

125 - Snotty line. Nice line, snotty people.

126 - THE LINE FROM HELL! Someone once asked me why don't they have artics on this line. It would be a nice idea on the rush hour, especially if it was a three door Volvo like the old days. I've done this line on a Flex, Nova, MCI, and NABI. Love the line but it's crazy at times.

127 - Great line, hate gate 230 at PABT. So many times drivers come so close to scraping the bus because of the super tight gate.

128 - Wow. LOL. Busy line. Bus leaves every 2 minutes during the morning at times. Tells you how serious it is.

129 - SNOT-VILLE. Some nice people but some jerks. I mean, I got spat on the face because I arrived at a destination 2 minutes late. The other passengers that got off cursed the dude out but I wanted to go ahead and do some power rangers moves on the jerk.

320 - HAVE CHANGE. $50 won't cut it if you're doing a 8 hour run. $100 will BARELY help. And I mean singles, five's, and a shit load of coins. That line CARRIES, even when taking back to Secaucus.

159/156 - Line carries, and I pray for the driver at times. You get on Bergenline, you get drunks, prostitutes, and idiots. One girl wanted to do the driver one time while the bus was full. Driver brushed her off, and this was the 1am trip. That tells you something, eh?

181 - Not bad, one of my favorites. It carries but not as it used to. If some of ya remember, this bus used to start at Hoboken as a 4 Zone trip to the GWB. For whatever reason, it stopped back in 2006 I believe.

188 - My Favorite :) I used Nova's, NABI's, MCI 40's and 45's with that line. I miss that line a TON. Best line I ever did. Nice, quiet, 90% have exact change which is nice, and never really had a problem.

80 & 87, I really can't give a good answer since I only been on it seldom. Yet, when the 87 starts in Hoboken, it's a crowd at times. At least 20-30 people at Hoboken Terminal. By the time it gets to Congress Street, it picked up another 10-15 more.

81 - I only took it once but it wasn't bad. Not crowded.

82 - Driven it in the PM rush. It's not bad. One trip is a issue, and it's when Dickerson HS is out for the day. The bus will get full in a hurry. SUPER STANDING ROOM.

83 - Very busy line, IMO, from Hackensack to JC. The best thing they did was add Sunday service, especially with the new Wal-Mart on Tonnelle Ave in North Bergen

84 - Bergenline Avenue will always be a pain in the ass. From 60th to 49th street, it can take 25 minutes instead of 10 during parts of the afternoon, the rush during the weekdays. ALL DAY SATURDAY and SUNDAY from 1pm to 8pm from 60th to 32nd Street, BRING A BOOK. BRING A IPOD. BRING A DATE TO MAKE OUT ON THE BUS. BRING SOMETHING. It'll take the bus a HOUR - 75 minutes to get to 32nd. You got the damn Dollar buses, the 22, & the 159. It's a mess. You got double parked cars. You got idiots that want to stop traffic to look instead of keeping traffic going. It's a mess. Note, from what the older drivers told me before the dollar vans came into existance, the 84 used to run ever 5 minutes. It was that severely crowded. The Park Avenue service that is there now, it wasn't like that years ago. In actually, the 84 added more Park Avenue service now than what they had before. Take a look:

OLD:

http://classic-web.archive.org/web/20030410075307/http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/bus/T1084.pdf

NOW:

http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/bus/T0084.pdf

85 - Summit Avenue is a goldmine for passengers, as the 83 is. The difference is the 85 runs later than the 83, which comes to play to the Super Walmart in Secaucus. The last 85 leaves from there at 1:12 am, DAILY. It's a big line. So big that every Sunday that I used to do it, I hated it. Not because of the route, because you got so many damn people. Two round trips, the fairbox turns in about $500. You have 90% cash fares, 8% transfers, and 2% monthly passes. (That's my opinion). The best thing NJT did was add service on weekends to ease the overcrowding, because it was so bad. I had to tell passengers that I can't take them because I had a full bus. By the time I got to Walmart, I went from 70 passengers inside (Including children sitting on parents laps) to 3. I am not kidding. THREE. That's how significant the Walmart move was. And with the hours that the 85 was operating, it made it more significant. Example:

OLD: When the old MILL CREEK MALL WAS STILL OPEN until 2007

http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/bus/T0085.pdf'>http://classic-web.archive.org/web/20030914192749/http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/bus/T0085.pdf

CURRENT:

http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/bus/T0085.pdf

86 - Busy during the Rush for people wanting to get from JC to Union City, especially people from Exchange Place. 86 Changed SO MANY TIMES in the last 10 years, it was hard to keep up. For one, the 86 used to operate VIA BERGENLINE, not PARK AVENUE on some trips, and end at 91st Street. That changed years later to where it is now, where the line ends on 49th and Bergenline. It was only Late August 2007 when NJT stop having the 86 end on 91st Street during the PM rush, and having all 86 buses stop and start at the Bergenline Lightrail Station.

89 - That line doesn't get crazy busy but it gets heavy at times, especially druing the weekends and the rush, especially for people taking the PATH as ppl dont want to wait for a 126. If they see a 22 or a 89, they'll hop on it since it'll go down Washington Street.

121- Meh. BS Line really. Not really heavy.

122 - Secaucus Cul-de-sac: BUSY. It's amazing how many people wants that bus from the Cul-de-sac when I did it.

123 - BUSY. BUSY. BUSY.

124 - Prison line. ******** from UPS tried to attack a fellow driver because a undercover NJT officer arrested 2 passengers for fare evasion.

125 - Snotty line. Nice line, snotty people.

126 - THE LINE FROM HELL! Someone once asked me why don't they have artics on this line. It would be a nice idea on the rush hour, especially if it was a three door Volvo like the old days. I've done this line on a Flex, Nova, MCI, and NABI. Love the line but it's crazy at times.

127 - Great line, hate gate 230 at PABT. So many times drivers come so close to scraping the bus because of the super tight gate.

128 - Wow. LOL. Busy line. Bus leaves every 2 minutes during the morning at times. Tells you how serious it is.

129 - SNOT-VILLE. Some nice people but some jerks. I mean, I got spat on the face because I arrived at a destination 2 minutes late. The other passengers that got off cursed the dude out but I wanted to go ahead and do some power rangers moves on the jerk.

320 - HAVE CHANGE. $50 won't cut it if you're doing a 8 hour run. $100 will BARELY help. And I mean singles, five's, and a shit load of coins. That line CARRIES, even when taking back to Secaucus.

159/156 - Line carries, and I pray for the driver at times. You get on Bergenline, you get drunks, prostitutes, and idiots. One girl wanted to do the driver one time while the bus was full. Driver brushed her off, and this was the 1am trip. That tells you something, eh?

181 - Not bad, one of my favorites. It carries but not as it used to. If some of ya remember, this bus used to start at Hoboken as a 4 Zone trip to the GWB. For whatever reason, it stopped back in 2006 I believe.

188 - My Favorite :) I used Nova's, NABI's, MCI 40's and 45's with that line. I miss that line a TON. Best line I ever did. Nice, quiet, 90% have exact change which is nice, and never really had a problem.

does that site lets you see all the other old schedules? :cool: i wanna see them.. haha

:eek::eek: interesting and i ended up finding some old 1 schedules ah such memories when it used to go to All Jersey Cinema :angry::P going there alot ah so much fun it sucks they closed it

I use to go to that movie theater ALL the time! I miss it. Sucks when it closed. They should totally reopen a movie theater there. Always made a trip out of it, because I was not too far from Communipaw & Grand bus stop for the Exchange Place branch #1, I always took that to theater, watched a movie, after the movie took the first #1 heading towards Penn Station, PATH back to Jersey City and then a bus home. Was an awesome way to spend a saturday.

I use to go to that movie theater ALL the time! I miss it. Sucks when it closed. They should totally reopen a movie theater there. Always made a trip out of it, because I was not too far from Communipaw & Grand bus stop for the Exchange Place branch #1, I always took that to theater, watched a movie, after the movie took the first #1 heading towards Penn Station, PATH back to Jersey City and then a bus home. Was an awesome way to spend a saturday.

hooray another person that went there haha :cool: and yeah they should so the 1 can go to that area again :angry:

Actually, the local routes in Hudson County don't necessarily need a limited stop service like GoBus. It would not be too beneficial.

If anything, that's what the HBLR is for. But, if I can say, if NJT wanted to make a GoBus, please let it be on the 88 - MAN that route can use some express service since it's ALWAYS late!

Archived