Horrible Weekday Service on the B46

Q33toLaGuardia

Wish I could've taken a picture of Eastern Parkway and Utica Avenue (SB) yesterday during PM rush hour ---- when I pulled into the stop, the entire block was waiting for the 46, and of course I was the first bus to pull in with an already packed steady mob. Smfh

Having Fun on B46 ? B)

Want to know why you were the first bus on Eastern Parkway ?

Driver play games ...

Having Fun on B46 ? B)

Want to know why you were the first bus on Eastern Parkway ?

Driver play games ...

Nah, no one was playing games; 3 buses just pulled out of the stand, and there were 4 buses behind me all jammed packed cause we picked up a nice load at Fulton Street. I only saw these guys playing games on the B49 during line training.

Nah, no one was playing games; 3 buses just pulled out of the stand, and there were 4 buses behind me all jammed packed cause we picked up a nice load at Fulton Street. I only saw these guys playing games on the B49 during line training.

49 is the game capital of the Flatbush, but next time when you go by decalb ( going south from the bridge) on 46, look in your mirror and you will see decalb bus pull out right behind you ;)

I like 49, but those game playing idiots is what probably going to make me pick something else.

since when they got B46's goin to Eastern Pkwy around 4pm?

managed to hop on one this afternoon comin home from the den'iss (dentist).....

I think it just started this pick because now there's more buses than ever starting and ending over there from about 330 to 730 pm.

since when they got B46's goin to Eastern Pkwy around 4pm?

managed to hop on one this afternoon comin home from the den'iss (dentist).....

That shuttle has been there for a while. I believe that one does three or four round trips between Eastern Parkway and Kings Highway.

49 is the game capital of the Flatbush, but next time when you go by decalb ( going south from the bridge) on 46, look in your mirror and you will see decalb bus pull out right behind you ;)

I like 49, but those game playing idiots is what probably going to make me pick something else.

I thought the B2/31 was the capital. lol There's a guy, who line trained me, with 27-years doing the B31 for the last 7 years, and it's sweet as sugar. You wouldn't think those runs would exist at Flatbush with the amount of work we do on the other lines, ya know? haha. But, I suppose for us rookies, the B49 will have to do. I'd choose late work if I could there, like the last run, but may not be possible with Sun, Sat RDOs built-in.

I've done the southbound B46 from the bridge and haven't noticed a major issue at all. When I worked it on Monday afternoon/evening I was actually on time; I went into Fulton Street and Eastern Parkway 4 minutes up so I don't get caught up. I got to the Plaza maybe about 7 minutes down.. and had an Hybrid. :-D

I thought the B2/31 was the capital. lol There's a guy, who line trained me, with 27-years doing the B31 for the last 7 years, and it's sweet as sugar. You wouldn't think those runs would exist at Flatbush with the amount of work we do on the other lines, ya know? haha. But, I suppose for us rookies, the B49 will have to do. I'd choose late work if I could there, like the last run, but may not be possible with Sun, Sat RDOs built-in.

I've done the southbound B46 from the bridge and haven't noticed a major issue at all. When I worked it on Monday afternoon/evening I was actually on time; I went into Fulton Street and Eastern Parkway 4 minutes up so I don't get caught up. I got to the Plaza maybe about 7 minutes down.. and had an Hybrid. :-D

Acela, you should should never be 4 minutes up, no matter where you are

Eastern parkway got dispatcher and i have seen car on Fulton couple of times.

Right. Some operators think it's cool to be able to keep a schedule and they think that running late and getting hammered (or killed, slammed, smashed, bombed, etc) makes them inferior one way or another, but the fact of the matter is that you take chances when you run hot and whatnot. Try to look at it like "this schedule belongs to the authority and the passengers (at least passengers that actually care about local/limited bus schedules since they're often virtually meaningless), not to me, so I don't care if I run late."

One thing about the job is that your job is to simply drive the vehicle and collect fares (unless you're on a SBS route, in which case fare collection is not your responsibility). They don't treat you any differently if you keep a schedule, and I don't think any bus operator should bend over backwards to try to keep a schedule when it's so hard to do on local/limited bus routes where everyone has to pay one at a time and there are so many variables that control the length of the trip.

It's a system that only works properly if everybody exhibits perfect behavior when in fact nobody is perfect. If I drop my change or metrocard on the floor, the trip is delayed. If I don't put change in the farebox 'quickly enough', the trip is delayed. If 10 people that normally don't get on my bus queue up behind me because I took too long to pay, the trip is delayed. It's very unpredictable and unreliable, especially when dealing with high-volume routes like the B46. Keeping a schedule on these routes requires quite a bit of thinking that they're not paying you for, so I'd say don't stress it. I think it requires too much energy.

Sorry to be dispassionate about it, but that's how it is.

Right. Some operators think it's cool to be able to keep a schedule and they think that running late and getting hammered (or killed, slammed, smashed, bombed, etc) makes them inferior one way or another, but the fact of the matter is that you take chances when you run hot and whatnot. Try to look at it like "this schedule belongs to the authority and the passengers (at least passengers that actually care about local/limited bus schedules since they're often virtually meaningless), not to me, so I don't care if I run late."

Running a schedule on time is part of the job. It's not about being cool....it's about doing your job to the best of your ablities. Too many guys out here have a "IDGAF" attitude which is why we have the problems we have as B/O's. Personally if you can't run a schedule you shouldn't be a B/O. Yes their are some runs that have scheduling problems but alot of guys are just dragging ass.

They don't treat you any differently if you keep a schedule, and I don't think any bus operator should bend over backwards to try to keep a schedule when it's so hard to do on local/limited bus routes where everyone has to pay one at a time and there are so many variables that control the length of the trip.

You will get treated differently. They will be on your ass all the time....especially if your one of the "weak sisters" who runs late on every line they work. We have guys like that at Peter Pan and I can't even begin to describe the treatment they get from the passengers,other drivers and dispatch. If your scared to drive the bus then you really should'nt be in the seat.

Keeping a schedule on these routes requires quite a bit of thinking that they're not paying you for, so I'd say don't stress it. I think it requires too much energy.

We are getting paid for it. It's not that hard to run a schedule ontime once you figure out the mechanics of a particular route. Problem is,too many guys don't care to learn.

The folks at Peter Pan have to fight for every passenger. Slowpokes result in phone calls to the company and in extreme cases, missed trips. Of course, one of my favorite lines is "dead customers aren't repeat customers", but that doesn't mean throwing the schedule out the window.

'89 Liberty MCI & Olegkha,

No one is trying to keep schedule, because it's impossible for the most part with the paddles given on the 46, especially rush hour.. However, you can do the 4 minutes up at Eastern Parkway and Fulton Street, the SLD will allow it because they know those are extremely heavy stops. You cannot do this elsewhere. Not a fan of running hot. lol

Right. Also I wasn't trying to promote the IDGAF attitude, but as y'all may or may not know, the MTA's modus operandi is that they never want you to run hot. They don't care if it means running late. They only want you late or on time and issue violations for running hot if you get caught too often or run too hot.

When I said it's not your job to kill yourself trying to keep a schedule, I was being specific to MTA and to local/limited buses because the running time you get on these routes tends to suck. I didn't mean that one should turn into Mr. Hyde, drag the road, and let scheduled followers pass you to do all the work while you ride them all the way up and down the line. That's dirty.

'89 Liberty MCI & Olegkha,

No one is trying to keep schedule, because it's impossible for the most part with the paddles given on the 46, especially rush hour.. However, you can do the 4 minutes up at Eastern Parkway and Fulton Street, the SLD will allow it because they know those are extremely heavy stops. You cannot do this elsewhere. Not a fan of running hot. lol

Yes current SLD may allow it, but what if there is supervisor in the area who is booking the same line ? or what if regular SLD has a diarrhea and has to book off sick ? His replacement does not know or care about the 4 minutes that are allowed. In that case you are going to be written up and it will stick when you go see the boss.

Its best to stick with what we were taught.."this is the only job that will pay you more to be late" I was damn near 20 mins late on the Bx21 (It was my first time lol) but I operated safely and that means more to the authority than keeping a schedule and driving like a maniac.

When I said it's not your job to kill yourself trying to keep a schedule, I was being specific to MTA and to local/limited buses because the running time you get on these routes tends to suck.

I drove transit in CT. Outside of bad weather or a road closure, I was always able to run my schedule +/- 5mins. Even now at Peter Pan I can run my schedule within 15 minutes even on Fridays. You don't have to drive reckless, just drive with a purpose.

Its best to stick with what we were taught.."this is the only job that will pay you more to be late" I was damn near 20 mins late on the Bx21 (It was my first time lol) but I operated safely and that means more to the authority than keeping a schedule and driving like a maniac.

Youngblaze, You're a rookie....your expected to run late, it's part of the learning process. As you gain more experience they will be on your ass more to run on schedule. And once your been around awhile you won't want to get paid for being late, you want to punch out when your suppose to. My run pays just under 60 hours a week....I'm happy with that, I don't want anymore.

You just started line training, correct?

Archived