Need info on the G train

nyctransit

Hi all!

I'm a regular commuter of the subway but my commute is primarily on the 7/E/N lines. I have started a new part time job in downtown brooklyn, and would need to commute from Queens. I have been using the 7 train and then transferring to 2/5 at Grand Central , but this seems to be a long route and takes me over an hour. I looked up the subway map and 'discovered' the G line.

So what's up with the G line? How safe is it? anything that I need to know? I would get in at court square and get off at Hoyt street.I'm a little worried to take the G line but looks like that's the fastest option for me.

Any info would be helpful to me, I"ll post back if I get further questions on my mind.

THANK YOU:)

Hi all!

I'm a regular commuter of the subway but my commute is primarily on the 7/E/N lines. I have started a new part time job in downtown brooklyn, and would need to commute from Queens. I have been using the 7 train and then transferring to 2/5 at Grand Central , but this seems to be a long route and takes me over an hour. I looked up the subway map and 'discovered' the G line.

So what's up with the G line? How safe is it? anything that I need to know? I would get in at court square and get off at Hoyt street.I'm a little worried to take the G line but looks like that's the fastest option for me.

Any info would be helpful to me, I"ll post back if I get further questions on my mind.

THANK YOU:)

Perfectly fine, yea there may be one or two bad stations, but many of the stops are served by yuppies and eastern Europeans so its fine, especially if you are headed all the way to Hoyt-Schmemerhorn Sts from Court Square. As is the general rule with the rest of the Subway, stay alert and be safe.

Well the (G) is a Crosstown Line which means it's a subway line that isn't supposed to go to Manhattan at all. It seems to be a good option for you since you work outside of Manhattan. Just watch out for the length of the train. I have had heard, and experienced that passengers like us can sometimes miss the (G) train, because it's only 4 cars long instead of the standard 8 car length in the NYC Subway so you should best be standing in the center of the platform and not at the ends.

Well he should be fine at those two stops, the C/R is in the last car on these trains, not the middle like you may be accustomed to. At Court Sq, head toward the front of the station (headed toward Brooklyn) but there should almost always be a train there, if not two trains as the (G) generally runs on time (since it's by itself most of its route). At Hoyt, the (G) stops in the center of the platform so yeah, be smack in the middle of that station on the way back to Queens.

Oh yeah btw, if you ever see an (F) at the (G) platform at Hoyt, feel free to get on it and ride it up to Court, it was a rerouted (F) over the (G) crosstown line because of some blockage somewhere between Jay and Manhattan.

Hi all!

Hi, welcome to NYCTF. Sorry for this to be my first post to you, but your post didn't make much sense.

You say you transfer at Grand Central for the (2)/(5), but only the (4)(5)(6)(7)(S) stop there.

Then you say you could transfer at Hoyt, but the (A)(C) stop there. Would you mind telling me where your job is located? I'd like to give you proper directions involving the (G).

I am overwhelmed at the response here . Thank You guys.

forestglen, yeah, i"ll primarily be using it to return from brooklyn at around 8 PM.

roadcruiser, this train has just 4 cars? WOW, that sounds cool :P

lilbluefoxie,

Yeah,I"ll be getting of at Hoyt-Schmemerhorn.

twotimer,

what is C/R? Conductor? Please pardon my ignorance so if C/R is conductor then it would be safer to ride in that car, right?

So do we have the F train in jay street/Hoyt street then?

Ckhaleel,

Yeah, I take the 7 from my home, transfer to the 5 at grand central and get off at borough hall. I mistyped the 2 train!! It does not stop at Grand Central. Sorry about that confusion.

I work near the borough hall station(2.5 line) and yes, I see the A,C stops too. I could take pretty much any train in that area but, to me, G seems the fastest option to get me to queens. The others will go through manhattan,right?

So what train would you suggest me?

A safe bet could be taking the (G), getting off Hoyt-Schermerhorn, then transfer to a Manhattan-bound (A) or (C) train, and get off at Jay St-MetroTech and walk to Borough Hall, since those two stations are very close to each other. OR, at Jay St, you can continue your trip to a Manhattan-bound (R) and get off at Court St, and follow the exit signs, since Court St. and the Borough Hall stations are directly connected to each other. Hope I helped :P

Oops im sorry. Yeah c/r is conductor. Dont expect a (F) at hoyt, just understand that u can take it if it shows up on the (G) line.

Smh whoever said the G dont stop at hoyt.

I didn't mean to insinuate that, I was just stating that the (A)(C) stopped there so she knew where she was going :tup:

A safe bet could be taking the (G), getting off Hoyt-Schermerhorn, then transfer to a Manhattan-bound (A) or (C) train, and get off at Jay St-MetroTech and walk to Borough Hall, since those two stations are very close to each other. OR, at Jay St, you can continue your trip to a Manhattan-bound (R) and get off at Court St, and follow the exit signs, since Court St. and the Borough Hall stations are directly connected to each other. Hope I helped :P

Ckhaleel,Thanks! Yes, that was helpful! I'm ok with walking from Hoyt-Schermerhorn too,may take me 10 mins.

My main concern is the G train ride though:confused:. I found the station pretty shady. So was worried about the commute to LIC from hoyt.

I ride the (G) train all the time since it's my home line. As most people already mentioned that the (G) train is your best option. I ride the (G) train all hours of the day and it's a safe ride to and from Queens since it's a 20 minute ride from Court Square to Hoyt-Schermerhorn Streets. By the way welcome to the forums.

I ride the (G) train all the time since it's my home line. As most people already mentioned that the (G) train is your best option. I ride the (G) train all hours of the day and it's a safe ride to and from Queens since it's a 20 minute ride from Court Square to Hoyt-Schermerhorn Streets. By the way welcome to the forums.

It really isn't that bad. Whenever I go to my cousin's house, I use the Myrtle-Willoughby Avs station at all hours of the day and night (and that station is in the middle of 2 housing projects, (I go to 1 of them)

Isn't nothing more really to add, if you're a tad nervous or uneasy about the trip, go to the 1st car (motorman's car) or the last car (conductor's car). BUT at nights, you're best best is the 1st car since there isn't a conductor

I live off the G and ride it all hours of the day- never felt unsafe. The stations that people mentioned were "bad" aren't anymore. Clinton Hill has become so expensive that most hipsters/college kids cant afford to live in the prime area of the neighborhood anymore- they've all moved to the Bedford-Nostrand, Myrtle-Willoughby and Flushing stops and its becoming super gentrified really fast. I lived off the Myrtle stop about 6 years ago and I think it was a bit more sketchy then especially at night. But honestly, its changed tremendously.

My only warnings are a) it is a short train. Go to the middle of the platform or you'll miss it. and :P it doesn't come all too often compared to other trains. Check the schedule. People complain constantly about the G train-They don't realize that it has a schedule that it sticks to pretty well. Just means extra planning (i.e. I know I have to leave the house each am in time to catch the 7:50 train from my stop or the next one wont be along until about 8:02).

Ckhaleel,thanks.

Daniel, thanks to you too.

bknightshadow, i'm happy to met a fellow commuter :P. I'm just wondering if the cars run empty,literally empty:eek:?

thanks for ur warm welcome too

FamousNYlover, haha :)

Freshpond, that's a relief to hear. yes, i am a little nbervous but ur idea about riding in the first car sounds good! that should be a little less scary to me.

38thstreetyard, yep, will have to keep a check on service announcements

R68, thank you. sounds good to me

knh, i will have to work around the G train schedule I believe.

twotimer,good to hear :)

sospectacular,

hmm,i'm yet to travel in a 4 car train. sounds exciting to me :)

Friends, I'm actually wondering if the G train would be the fastest route for me from downtown brooklyn? or is it better to go into manhattan(grand central) and transfer to my train home(7 train). I don't mind multiple transfers, just concerned about the time.

Thank You for your inputs.

Archived