Can SAS Phase 1 do the job?

The (N) will run express when the first phase of the Second Avenue Subway opens and the (Q) is sent up to 96th Street. You know why? The Astoria Line can't be handled by the (N) alone so the (W) or something similar will most certainly have to be brought back. This is why I often refer to the (W) as not a dead line, but a line that has went dormant till 2016 when it would be reincarnated.

Or they could just add some trains on the (N). And I think we should have 2 broadway express's when the SAS opens. What about the (R) and (N).

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Doesn't mean you can around insulting people the way you like. Hey you don't see me insulting you, and I am certain you don't go around in the outside world insulting people. If you do that is very saddening, and next it doesn't have to happen in our lifetimes. It will happen someday which is what I am trying to point out, but you seem to be ignoring what I am trying to tell you. Other people got it you don't?

Doesn't mean you can around insulting people the way you like. Hey you don't see me insulting you, and I am certain you don't go around in the outside world insulting people. If you do that is very saddening, and next it doesn't have to happen in our lifetimes. It will happen someday which is what I am trying to point out, but you seem to be ignoring what I am trying to tell you. Other people got it you don't?

No, I'm a very nice person. But when people speak nonsense I try to explain to them the answer. Yet they keep pushing there opinion.

Adding to the (N) will give extra service to people, but it won't speed up the time of a person's commute which I have had been trying to point out for the last few times I have had been mentioning it.

MTA does not care how fast it would take. They only care that it gets someone to there location.

Adding to the (N) will give extra service to people, but it won't speed up the time of a person's commute which I have had been trying to point out for the last few times I have had been mentioning it.

Well nothing's reallllly gonna speed up the commute. I suggested 2 broadway express's. You know what I cant get about express's and locals; The 8th Ave Line below 14th St.

Then you would need two local services which is what I pointed out when you move something to the express tracks. You would be declining the people that live at local stations train service, and I certainly don't want to argue about this anymore, because then there would be a whole fight and words will be thrown everywhere which isn't a good thing especially since I like peace rather then war.

Then you would need two local services which is what I pointed out when you move something to the express tracks. You would be declining the people that live at local stations train service, and I certainly don't want to argue about this anymore, because then there would be a whole fight and words will be thrown everywhere which isn't a good thing especially since I like peace rather then war.

This is NOT an arguement. How about a <N> (Express) and a (N) (Local).

Won't work as I have pointed out. Diamond services does designate express service, but it would mean the same letter service, and therefore everything has to be split in two resulting in a nightmare. It's like bringing back the <Q> it just won't work, and I don't want to hurt your feelings, but the (MTA) got rid of the double letters in 1986 to get rid of confusion. I doubt the (MTA) will ever bring them back.

Astoria is 30 minutes from Midtown. And that's on a slow day. Its not exactly Howard Beach. (lol)

Won't work as I have pointed out. Diamond services does designate express service, but it would mean the same letter service, and therefore everything has to be split in two resulting in a nightmare. It's like bringing back the <Q> it just won't work, and I don't want to hurt your feelings, but the (MTA) got rid of the double letters in 1986 to get rid of confusion. I doubt the (MTA) will ever bring them back.

Is the N a double letter? I don't think so. Well it run via the (N) line and only during rush hours. I think your thinking it's a (W).

It won't work as I have explained. You would have to split the amount of trains running into two. The (Q) which let's just say for example would have 500 trains if it was just the (Q). If you bring a <Q> you would have to give 250 trains to the <Q> resulting in less service to people. This won't work out too well as now you would only have 250 trains running on the (Q), and you have 250 trains running on the <Q>. It would be a disaster in the making.

I am amazed to see the vast majority of posts in this thread are off topic. The OP did not ask for anyone to make extensions to the 2nd Avenue subway or rearrange the Broadway and Astoria lines as if the service is ready.

The question is not WILL Phase 1 do the job or HAS Phase 1 done the job? It's CAN Phase 1 do the job? Everyone should be able to give a Yes or No answer that can be elaborated on by their peers. My answer is of course NO.

The Lexington Avenue line may be the only one to serve the East Side but that is not the only reason why it is overcrowded. There are several reasons that I will list and SAS Phase 1 will do nothing to solve these problems.

1. The (4), (5) and (6) trains get lots of ridership in the outer boroughs. When trains are coming into Manhattan already crowded the situation doesn't look good.

2. Nearly EVERY stop along the line is a heavily used stop. Reducing ridership along a stretch of 4 stops won't help when 16 others are bursting at the seams.

3. There is a huge portion of the Upper East Side (Lex, Park, Madison, Fifth) that doesn't stand to benefit from SAS. All of those riders will continue to frequent the Lexington Avenue line.

4. When the (4), (5) and (6) lines are running without delays the frequent service will still make some people think twice about converting to SAS. At current headways waiting for a (6) saves you 4 minutes over a (Q) and let's also add the fact that the (Q) will take a while to get from Lex Av-63rd to 57th St-7th Av. At the end of the day you could have UES residents in the SAS part of town continuing to ride the Lexington Av line.

I think the SAS would serve a different clientele from the Lex Av Line since it goes further deep into Midtown and connects to a Queens Blvd express train in the (F).

As for Light Rail on 2nd Av (or on any north-south street in Manhattan), it wouldn't work. If NIMBYs along the East Side have complained about the SBS itself, the buses on the M15 SBS, the bus lanes, and the new bike lanes heading to the Turtle Bay, they would be much worse with light rail.

I am amazed to see the vast majority of posts in this thread are off topic. The OP did not ask for anyone to make extensions to the 2nd Avenue subway or rearrange the Broadway and Astoria lines as if the service is ready.

The question is not WILL Phase 1 do the job or HAS Phase 1 done the job? It's CAN Phase 1 do the job? Everyone should be able to give a Yes or No answer that can be elaborated on by their peers. My answer is of course NO.

The Lexington Avenue line may be the only one to serve the East Side but that is not the only reason why it is overcrowded. There are several reasons that I will list and SAS Phase 1 will do nothing to solve these problems.

1. The (4), (5) and (6) trains get lots of ridership in the outer boroughs. When trains are coming into Manhattan already crowded the situation doesn't look good.

2. Nearly EVERY stop along the line is a heavily used stop. Reducing ridership along a stretch of 4 stops won't help when 16 others are bursting at the seams.

3. There is a huge portion of the Upper East Side (Lex, Park, Madison, Fifth) that doesn't stand to benefit from SAS. All of those riders will continue to frequent the Lexington Avenue line.

4. When the (4), (5) and (6) lines are running without delays the frequent service will still make some people think twice about converting to SAS. At current headways waiting for a (6) saves you 4 minutes over a (Q) and let's also add the fact that the (Q) will take a while to get from Lex Av-63rd to 57th St-7th Av. At the end of the day you could have UES residents in the SAS part of town continuing to ride the Lexington Av line.

You're forgetting one very crucial thing... we will also use the SAS because WE WILL NOT BE ALL SQUASHED TOGETHER. For the (6) train sometimes you can't even get on the first one that comes sometimes, on all of the station on the Upper East Side. Hey if we actually have the possibility of getting a seat then we'll definitely use it. I don't care if my commute on the train is 5 minutes longer, it's 5 minutes I'm saving of walking.

And like I said before, many of us are turning to privately run services that run down the FDR because we'd rather spend an extra $4 to get a seat and avoid walking over half a mile.

You're forgetting one very crucial thing... we will also use the SAS because WE WILL NOT BE ALL SQUASHED TOGETHER. For the (6) train sometimes you can't even get on the first one that comes sometimes, on all of the station on the Upper East Side. Hey if we actually have the possibility of getting a seat then we'll definitely use it. I don't care if my commute on the train is 5 minutes longer, it's 5 minutes I'm saving of walking.

Normal (and generally rational) commuters think only of efficiency.

Yeah let the (Q) go to 125 and leave astoria alone with the (N) only. Just add in 2-3 trains..

(Q)(N), doesn't matter, either way the one that is the Broadway express will go up to the SAS since the express is the only direct connection to 63rd St.

Personally I think it should be the (N) since it has fewer stops and tends to be a bit infrequent [so the current 4 stops vs 9 would make the (N) much shorter]. The (Q) could probably handle Astoria by itself, if the MTA doesn't want to bring back the (W).

(Q)(N), doesn't matter, either way the one that is the Broadway express will go up to the SAS since the express is the only direct connection to 63rd St.

Personally I think it should be the (N) since it has fewer stops and tends to be a bit infrequent [so the current 4 stops vs 9 would make the (N) much shorter]. The (Q) could probably handle Astoria by itself, if the MTA doesn't want to bring back the (W).

Your definately right.

Archived