Can SAS Phase 1 do the job?

1939_IND_Second_System.jpg

Back then we were made of money.

Phase 1 of the SAS will have very little effect on the IRT Lexington Lines and Phase 2 will not really help the (4),(5), and (6) lines, either. As someone pointed out earlier those lines are already crowded before they enter Manhattan during the am rush. They start to have crowds lessen at 59th St and at GCT. Therefore Phases 1 and 2 only benefit those East Side riders who commute to/from those areas. They will have the option of boarding either service to head to the CBD. The problem with the SAS phases 1 and 2 is it does nothing for eastern midtown or Wall Street workers below 63rd St and Lex. Yes, phase 1 can do the very limited job it's set up for but without phase 2 and especially phases 3 AND 4 online ASAP it's destined for a grade of D. Just my opinion. Carry on.

I agree. And that's why an (RT) is a great idea! Getting people to Wall Street.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No it's not. It will just jam up trains on the Broadway Line, and I already explained why the (MTA) got rid of the double letters. They will not use a double letter ever again. You have plenty of other letters to chose from including the (H), (I), (K), (O), (P), (T), (U), (V), (W), (X), and (Y), but they won't use a double letter.

I agree. And that's why an (RT) is a great idea! Getting people to Wall Street.

Except that it would be a long, local ride from the UES to the Wall Street area. It will also be subject to switching delays because it would have to merge with the (R). Those two issues would be plenty of reason for Wall Street-bound East Side riders to stick with the overcrowded (4) and (5) trains.

Here this morning (7/12/11)Daily News on a major milestone as the 1st part of SAS is bulit.

MTA close to awarding contract for Second Avenue subway tracks, signals and communications

BY Pete Donohue

DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Tuesday, July 12th 2011

"There's light at the end of the Second Ave. tunnel.

The MTA soon will award a contract to install tracks, signals and communications equipment - the backbone of subway service - in East Side tunnels carved out of Manhattan bedrock.

It's one of the last major construction contracts the Metropolitan Transportation Authority expects to award for the first leg of the Second Ave. subway, which will feature new stations at 96th, 86th and 72nd Sts.

"The Second Ave. subway is no longer just a blueprint - we've made enormous progress and we're committed to getting it done," MTA spokesman Jeremy Soffin said.

The first segment of the line is scheduled to open in December 2016. Carrying more than 200,000 weekday riders, it will provide relief for the overcrowded Lexington Ave. line.

After 72nd St., Second Ave. trains will curve west to 63rd St. and Lexington Ave. for transfers to the F line. Second Ave. line trains then will head south beneath Seventh Ave. and Broadway before entering Brooklyn.

One of the two tunnels between 96th and 63rd Sts. has been completed, Michael Horodniceanu, president of MTA Capital Construction, said. The second tunnel is about two-thirds complete, he said. Funding remains a concern, Gene Russianoff of the Straphangers Campaign said.

The MTA needs $942 million to complete the first leg of the $4.451 billion project. That number could grow if the federal government doesn't come through with all the funding it has promised."

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2011/07/12/2011-07-12_2nd_ave_subway_to_contract_for_tracks.html

That would reduce train service on the Sea Beach Line. It won't be helpful to anyone. Also I don't think there is much need for a second service like a (W) on the Sea Beach Line. The West End Line needs it more ever since we lost the (Mx).

Nah even though I live on the west end... I would give the (W) over to the sea beach. More ridership I think.

I think we all know what the answer to that is.

The answer is a resounding YES!!!!

To quote Die Hard 2:

Flight Attendant - "We're just like British Rail, love. We may be late, but we'll get you there."

The irony is the plane crashes just after that...

No it's not. It will just jam up trains on the Broadway Line, and I already explained why the (MTA) got rid of the double letters. They will not use a double letter ever again. You have plenty of other letters to chose from including the (H), (I), (K), (O), (P), (T), (U), (V), (W), (X), and (Y), but they won't use a double letter.

I choose ( K )

The (MTA) handled a (W) what's so bad about a K (RT)

Nah even though I live on the west end... I would give the (W) over to the sea beach. More ridership I think.

I always thought the West End had higher ridership than the Sea Beach. For 24 years, it had the (Mx) supplementing the (B)/(W)/(D). Meanwhile, the Sea Beach had just the (N) for all that time (except for the six weeks following the terrorist attacks on 9/11/01 when the (Mx) replaced the (N) which had been suspended due to the damage in the subway in the WTC area).

Well, West End has the ability to turn back the train at both 9th Av and Bay Pkwy. So in that sense it was a bit more flexible than Sea Beach with just around Kings highway.

With more stops I would think West End has a slight edge over Sea beach as well.

Theres a few more places its just those two the most common. Also, west end has more stations and runs thru dense neighborhoods.

Can we analyze WHY its taking so long?

Partially safety regulations, since doing things the safer way always takes longer, partially the mess of pipes and conduits below 2nd avenue, and because there's only 1 TBM.

• 1 month later...
Can we analyze WHY its taking so long?

One reason: money. 4 years ago the SAS was supposed to open in 2013. However, the ONLY reason why this date was pushed back was because the (MTA) was consistently denied funding for their Capital Program which is used to build the SAS. 2007-2013 would not be as bad a timeframe to build one phase of the SAS as 2007-2017 is. If the project were fully funded from Day 1 it would lower the possibility of running out of schedule contingency (delay management), quicken the pace of construction and labor, and speed up buying contracts. We would have seen a later opening date in the event of delays or cost overruns. The same goes for ESA. We could have seen these projects open up in two years if only we had the money.

Also, the (MTA) was in the process of pursuing 5 capital projects at once while groundbreaking took place for the SAS. In the future, these projects are all projected to be finished so more money would be dedicated to building the SAS. Phase II wouldn't take nearly as long as Phase I did, and if by some unholy act of God the (MTA) actually had money at their disposal, work on two phases at the same time. But that's just a pipe dream...

Partially safety regulations, since doing things the safer way always takes longer, partially the mess of pipes and conduits below 2nd avenue, and because there's only 1 TBM.

It's not so much the fact that there's only 1 TBM. The second tunnel is only about 2 weeks away from being finished, but the station caverns remain under construction. The tunnel boring is the simplest part of opening the subway line; it's building the stations, communications, systems, etc. that really takes the time.

But the question is: Can Whitehall Street (keep in mind that it only has 1 track handle 12-15 TPH turning there, and would the (R) risk getting backed up as (W) trains pull into the station?

Maybe a solution would be to send some (W) trains to terminate at, say 9th Avenue when the service gets backed up.

One track alone can't handle 12-15 trains per hour effectively. It would be best to have half the rush-hour (W)'s (six to eight trains per hour) continue past Whitehall in service to Brooklyn.

Archived