Dear mta, since we know you read the forums: S83 fall pick 2011

SIR North Shore

FYI... I plan on going to speak before them on Wednesday and one of the things on my agenda is the creation of the S83. I'm going to propose it as cost neutral in that you could simply turn some S53s into S83s and shift some buses where there is excess in terms of service. :cool:

I will soon have to start riding the S53 again, and it's only gotten slower over the years. Please add a S53 limited (s83) for the Fall 2011 Pick! -_-

They won't do this because the S93 is the official limited of the S53! I agree the S83 is necessary, but I doubt they will have 2 LTD's for 1 local.

FYI... I plan on going to speak before them on Wednesday and one of the things on my agenda is the creation of the S83. I'm going to propose it as cost neutral in that you could simply turn some S53s into S83s and shift some buses where there is excess in terms of service. :cool:

you are only suppose to speak about agenda items only

They won't do this because the S93 is the official limited of the S53! I agree the S83 is necessary, but I doubt they will have 2 LTD's for 1 local.

Actually the S93 is a Limited-stop variant of the S53, and the MTA considers the S93 its own independent route from the S53, just like the S89 is independent from the S59.

And to the OP, it is way too early for the MTA to consider an S83 by September. If an S83 were to come to fruition, you would have known roughly about two months ago.

Remember: Richmond Avenue. -_-

you are only suppose to speak about agenda items only

There's no other time to suggest this. They're not going to have a meeting specifically regarding the S53, so there's no point in waiting.

I'm well aware of this, but I'm going to try to speak about anyway. They may let me do so since I'll keep it short and sweet.

Exactly. They let me do it last year (then again, I'm just a high school student, so they might've been a little easier on me)

Remember: Richmond Avenue. -_-

There's no other time to suggest this. They're not going to have a meeting specifically regarding the S53, so there's no point in waiting.

Exactly. They let me do it last year (then again, I'm just a high school student, so they might've been a little easier on me)

Remind me again of how many minutes I have to speak? I'll work on drafting something tonight when I get in so that I can practice and see how long I go.

Ideally I would like to propose three things that IMO could be cost neutral:

1. Running later service on the X1, X10 and X17 by simply pulling buses during times in which there is less demand, probably going towards Manhattan. I for one would be willing to have hourly service later on into the evening say during the week or the weekend if it meant having service later on Saturdays and Sundays. Those buses would be well used thus generating more revenue.

2. Pulling select S53s and turning them into S83s. I don't think I'll even suggest extending anything yet. We need limited stop service first, which would greatly improve the commute for folks going to Bay Ridge or other places on Staten Island.

3. Provide reverse limited stop service on select local buses like the S48. Those buses are becoming more and more crowded and the demand is certainly there for it at least during rush hours.

Do you think I need to suggest which buses to pull? I feel like they should be able to see that on their own and figure out which buses to pull from where and adjust that accordingly.

Remind me again of how many minutes I have to speak? I'll work on drafting something tonight when I get in so that I can practice and see how long I go.

Ideally I would like to propose three things that IMO could be cost neutral:

1. Running later service on the X1, X10 and X17 by simply pulling buses during times in which there is less demand, probably going towards Manhattan. I for one would be willing to have hourly service later on into the evening say during the week or the weekend if it meant having service later on Saturdays and Sundays. Those buses would be well used thus generating more revenue.

2. Pulling select S53s and turning them into S83s. I don't think I'll even suggest extending anything yet. We need limited stop service first, which would greatly improve the commute for folks going to Bay Ridge or other places on Staten Island.

3. Provide reverse limited stop service on select local buses like the S48. Those buses are becoming more and more crowded and the demand is certainly there for it at least during rush hours.

Do you think I need to suggest which buses to pull? I feel like they should be able to see that on their own and figure out which buses to pull from where and adjust that accordingly.

There is a two minute speaking limit (I know it's short), but like I said, if you're really explaining the details, they'll let you go on past the limit.

I would definitely make the suggestion for which lines to pull the buses from. It'll make it that much easier, since they'll know which lines to look at first.

I have a feeling that they think that the Richmond Avenue routes are crowded with schoolchildren, since they run buses every few minutes. It'll probably make them rethink the amount of service provided if you mention those routes specifically.

And for the reverse-peak S98 service, one way to reduce costs is by cutting some reverse-peak S48 runs back to Richmond Avenue (so east of Richmond Avenue would see 7-8 minute service at the limited stops, and west of Richmond Avenue would see 15 minute service reverse-peak)

I'm well aware of this, but I'm going to try to speak about it anyway. They may let me do so since I'll keep it short and sweet.

Good luck. Personally I would just gotten signature from SI residents, get a local political offical and SI advance involved first before going to the (MTA) board.

Personally this is what the new "S83" should work in regard to the current (S53) and (S93) routes.

(S53) gets slightly less service during most of the day(routing stays the same) to accomdate changes the addition of a new "S83" limited.

(S93)is increased to running all day weekdays appx. 6am-10pm and Saturdays 7am-7pm and extended to Richmond Ave/Victory. All Times off-peak Weekday middays appx. 10am-3pm also 8pm-10pm(last bus leaves Bay Ridge)and Saturdays buses run every 30 minutes.

"S83" limited runs daily. Weekdays appx. 6am-10pm Saturdays 7am-9pm and Sundays 8am-8pm. Runs along current (S53) route between Pt Richmond Bus Terminal and Bay Ridge. All stops between Pt Richmond and Forest/Broadway.

"S53" becomes a 'local' with every other bus terminating at Victory/Clove.

The S53/83 would similar to the Q44/Q20 on Main St and the Q53/21/11 combos in Queens.

In addition the "S83" would run along the (S79) between Clove/Hylan and Bay Ridge with 1st/last stop in SI at Hylan/SI expressway service road.

When "S83" is not running the "S53" makes all stops. The "S53' overnight headways is increased to every 30 minutes.

reactions?

Good luck. Personally I would just gotten signature from SI residents, get a local political offical and SI advance involved first before going to the (MTA) board.

Personally this is what the new "S83" should work in regard to the current (S53) and (S93) routes.

(S53)headways stays the same but changes are made with addition of a new "S83".

(S93)is increased to running all day weekdays appx. 6am-10pm and Saturdays 7am-7pm and extended to Richmond Ave/Victory. All Times off-peak Weekday middays appx. 10am-3pm also 8pm-10pm(last bus leaves Bay Ridge)and Saturdays buses run every 30 minutes.

"S83" limited runs daily. Weekdays appx. 6am-10pm Saturdays 7am-9pm and Sundays 8am-8pm. Runs along current (S53) route between Pt Richmond Bus Terminal and Bay Ridge. All stops between Pt Richmond and Forest/Broadway.

"S53" becomes a 'local' with every other bus terminating at Victory/Clove.

The S53/83 would similar to the Q44/Q20 on Main St and the Q53/21/11 combos in Queens.

In addition the "S83" would run along the (S79) between Clove/Hylan and Bay Ridge with 1st/last stop in SI at Hylan/SI expressway service road.

When "S83" is not running the "S53" makes all stops. The "S53' overnight headways is increased to every 30 minutes.

reactions?

Uh, these are supposed to be cost neutral ideas remember???? :eek: Also, the S53 is not that long to have buses terminating at Victory & Clove. There is enough ridership to support limited and local stop service past there.

Uh, these are supposed to be cost neutral ideas remember???? :eek: Also, the S53 is not that long to have buses terminating at Victory & Clove. There is enough ridership to support limited and local stop service past there.

True. With that said, ideally (i know this would cost money)this is not be a foamer lol. This is what the actual routing should of a S53/83/S93 should be right now based on ridership patterns based on bus/railfanning in SI IMO.

Even on weekends the (S53)is often SRO from my recent ridings on weekends mainly between Bay Ridge and Victory/Clove until late in evening. The bulk of the ridership is between Victory and Clove so that why i suggest it. There no place at ideally Forest/Bway to terminate buses so it has to be either Victory/Clove or go the full route.

And there not enough ridership on Sundays for SI college students to run the "S93" even with a couple of classes. Thus why i think the existing (S62) to/from "S53" and possibly "S83 limited is fine.

Great ideas everyone and good luck Via trying to get the MTA to listen. This is something that is needed more than anything else right now except maybe a train line.

The S53 is already slow during middays but OH MY GOD IS THIS BUS SLOW during the AM rush hour! Multiple times, it took an hour and 15 minutes from Forest to 86th. With the right B/O, normal traffic conditions & not too crowded of a ride but still SRO, that trip can be done in 30 minutes flat, so this is something that needs to be addressed by the MTA.

Also, the S93 is it's own route and does nothing for the majority of S53 riders. I've mentioned this before but I would turn the S93 into a local route on Victory Blvd.

Okay, so SINorth, checkmate, cartmann, LRG and anybody else who is interested, here are my proposed stops from Port Richmond to Bay Ridge and from Bay Ridge to Port Richmond. For now I've left out the extension to 59th st since I doubt it would fly.

S83 Limited Stop Service: Port Richmond to Bay Ridge

All local stops to Forest Avenue then the following limited stops:

-Clove Rd & Bement Ave

-Clove Rd & Victory Blvd

-Clove Rd & Howard Ave

-Clove Rd & Richmond Rd (no stop at Clove Rd & Targee St)

-Grasmere Station

-Clove Rd & Hylan Blvd

-Sand Lane & McLean Ave

-Lily Pond Ave & McLean Av

-Ft. Hamilton Pkwy & 92nd St

-Ft. Hamilton Pkwy & 86th St

-5th Ave & 86th St

-4th Ave & 86th St

S83 Limited Stop Service: Bay Ridge to Port Richmond

Makes the following stops in Brooklyn after 4th Ave & 86th St:

-4th Ave & 90th St

-92nd St & Ft. Hamilton Pkwy

Makes the following stops in Staten Island:

-Lily Pond Ave & McLean Ave

-Sand Lane & McLean Ave

-Clove Rd & Hylan Blvd

-Grasmere Station

-Clove Rd & Targee St

-Narrows Rd North & Richmond Rd

-Clove Rd & Howard Ave

-Clove Rd & Victory Blvd

-Clove Rd & Bement Ave

-Broadway & Forest Ave

All local stops thereafter

Basically there would be 12 stops between Forest & Bway in both directions. I would mimic the S93 stops in Brooklyn to keep things fast. Thoughts?

P.S. SINorth, I would leave the S93 the way that it is. It is clearly targeted for college students who need a quick commute. I have used the line in the mornings when I didn't want to take the S53 all the way to Hylan Blvd and it is really quick and not nearly as crowded.

Okay, so SINorth, checkmate, cartmann, LRG and anybody else who is interested, here are my proposed stops from Port Richmond to Bay Ridge and from Bay Ridge to Port Richmond. For now I've left out the extension to 59th st since I doubt it would fly.

-Clove Rd & Bement Ave

-Clove Rd & Victory Blvd

-Clove Rd & Howard Ave

-Grasmere Station

-Clove Rd & Hylan Blvd

-Sand Lane & McLean Ave

-5th Ave & 86th St

-4th Ave & 86th St

-4th Ave & 90th St

-Sand Lane & McLean Ave

-Clove Rd & Hylan Blvd

-Grasmere Station

-Clove Rd & Targee St

-Clove Rd & Howard Ave

-Clove Rd & Victory Blvd

-Clove Rd & Bement Ave

-Broadway & Forest Ave

Basically there would be 12 stops between Forest & Bway in both directions. I would mimic the S93 stops in Brooklyn to keep things fast. Thoughts?

P.S. SINorth, I would leave the S93 the way that it is. It is clearly targeted for college students who need a quick commute. I have used the line in the mornings when I didn't want to take the S53 all the way to Hylan Blvd and it is really quick and not nearly as crowded.

But perhaps it might be time to visit the idea of making the S93 an all-day Limited route on weekdays (i.e., introduce midday service)?

But perhaps it might be time to visit the idea of making the S93 an all-day Limited route on weekdays (i.e., introduce midday service)?

Perhaps, but we're talking about a completely different idea. The S83 would provide true limited stop service for S53 riders along the entire S53 route. The S93 is its own separate route.

Perhaps, but we're talking about a completely different idea. The S83 would provide true limited stop service for S53 riders along the entire S53 route. The S93 is its own separate route.

While in my earlier comments on this topic I believe in both expanding current (S93) and creating at least a Monday-Saturday all day proposed "S83" and both could be succcesful right now, i say this.

I agree with Garibaldi 100% that creating the "S83' as the limited stop version of the (S53) is much important this moment than expanding the (S93) to all day weekday service.

-Clove Rd & Bement Ave

-Clove Rd & Victory Blvd

-Clove Rd & Howard Ave

-Grasmere Station

-Clove Rd & Hylan Blvd

-Sand Lane & McLean Ave

-5th Ave & 86th St

-4th Ave & 86th St

-4th Ave & 90th St

-Sand Lane & McLean Ave

-Clove Rd & Hylan Blvd

-Grasmere Station

-Clove Rd & Targee St

-Clove Rd & Howard Ave

-Clove Rd & Victory Blvd

-Clove Rd & Bement Ave

-Broadway & Forest Ave

I like it...I always thought the S83 should bypass Arrochar making no stops between Clove/Hylan and Brooklyn, but I won't object to your routing proposal.

The only issue stemming from all of this is the layover space at 86th Street...the S79 was moved across Fourth Avenue because of that...the S53, S79 and S93 sharing layover space prior to September 2009 was crazy. That's why I supported the extension of the S53/79/93 to 59th Street. No other buses would have to share layover space. The entire blocks between 61st and 59th Street can have the four bus routes and won't have to share with the B1 like the S79 does at 86th.

Guess my insight isn't really needed here, since the SI crew here's got it downpacked... lol.... But I'll still say, in general, yes, it's high time they instantiate a FULL S53 LTD (numerate it w/e ya like).... It (the current 53) definitely has the usage, and the route is way too slow b/w Pt Richmond & Hylan, alone, never mind the stint in Arrochar.....

Good Luck.

I like it...I always thought the S83 should bypass Arrochar making no stops between Clove/Hylan and Brooklyn, but I won't object to your routing proposal.

The only issue stemming from all of this is the layover space at 86th Street...the S79 was moved across Fourth Avenue because of that...the S53, S79 and S93 sharing layover space prior to September 2009 was crazy. That's why I supported the extension of the S53/79/93 to 59th Street. No other buses would have to share layover space. The entire blocks between 61st and 59th Street can have the four bus routes and won't have to share with the B1 like the S79 does at 86th.

I agree, but I'm not sure they'll go for it. I'll give it some thought tonight as I prepare my drafts. Remember I'm trying to squeeze three topics into 2 minutes of speech... I may have to ditch the S48 idea.... :P I think I had that idea in mind too originally, but I can forsee too much overcrowding on the local buses over in Arrochar. McLean Ave does get a decent load there, as does Lily Pond Ave, so they would also benefit from the limited stops there.

True. With that said, ideally (i know this would cost money)this is not be a foamer lol. This is what the actual routing should of a S53/83/S93 should be right now based on ridership patterns based on bus/railfanning in SI IMO.

Even on weekends the (S53)is often SRO from my recent ridings on weekends mainly between Bay Ridge and Victory/Clove until late in evening. The bulk of the ridership is between Victory and Clove so that why i suggest it. There no place at ideally Forest/Bway to terminate buses so it has to be either Victory/Clove or go the full route.

And there not enough ridership on Sundays for SI college students to run the "S93" even with a couple of classes. Thus why i think the existing (S62) to/from "S53" and possibly "S83 limited is fine.

The fact that buses aren't really SRO north of Victory Blvd doesn't mean much. Think of it this way (just making up random numbers):

If there are 50 people on the bus when it reaches Victory Blvd, and 15 people get off to transfer to the Victory Blvd routes, there are 35 people remaining, which is roughly a seated load. At Forest Avenue, say another 20 people get off to transfer to the S48.

So the point is that there is definitely demand up to Forest Avenue, because that is a very concentrated stop (a lot of people get off there vs. just one or two).

The issues of terminating there could be worked out later (I don't see where you could terminate the buses at Victory Blvd either, but I guess they used to terminate there, so it could be worked out)

-Clove Rd & Bement Ave

-Clove Rd & Victory Blvd

-Clove Rd & Howard Ave

-Grasmere Station

-Clove Rd & Hylan Blvd

-Sand Lane & McLean Ave

-5th Ave & 86th St

-4th Ave & 86th St

-4th Ave & 90th St

-Sand Lane & McLean Ave

-Clove Rd & Hylan Blvd

-Grasmere Station

-Clove Rd & Targee St

-Clove Rd & Howard Ave

-Clove Rd & Victory Blvd

-Clove Rd & Bement Ave

-Broadway & Forest Ave

If the S53 were to be cut back to Forest Avenue, I would say that your plan is fine. However, if the S53 is going to go all the way to Port Richmond, I would say to keep it limited the whole way.

If there isn't demand in Port Richmond (I don't know what the official numbers are, but in the afternoon, the only big stop is Port Richmond Avenue/Harrison Avenue), the S53 can terminate at the S54 terminal by Richmond Terrace.

And I agree with keeping the S83 serving Grasmere. The S53 would become too crowded if it were the only bus serving the Grasmere SIR station.

I've decided that I'll go tomorrow to discuss the S93. I want to explain my plan to extend it to Arlington and provide more network coverage in the process (by serving the SIE service road), and I'll discuss adding midday and Saturday service (the Saturday service would use the S62 trips that start/terminate at CSI, with a few trips added in the AM and PM rush).

But as Shortline Bus said, if it comes down to one or the other, I'd definitely say to implement the S83 7 days per week. The S93 would benefit me more (one-seat ride), but if the S83 made the trip faster, it wouldn't be so bad.

But like I said, the cost of either service shouldn't be much.

If I have time, I might discuss the possibility of the S62 short-turns being extended to Richmond Avenue. I believe it is based out of Yukon now (When I was on the S92, I saw an S62 go out of service and turn onto Richmond Avenue towards Yukon), so it would literally cost nothing.

The layover space shouldn't be too much of an issue, as a lot of the S83 trips would be former S53 trips. In the (unlikely) event that there is an issue with layover space, I would have the S83 take over the current S93 stop, and I would shift the S93 to the other side of the street, behind the S79 (the S79 stops between 87th Street and 86th Street, so the S93 would stop between 88th Street and 87th Street).

If the S53 were to be cut back to Forest Avenue, I would say that your plan is fine. However, if the S53 is going to go all the way to Port Richmond, I would say to keep it limited the whole way.

If there isn't demand in Port Richmond (I don't know what the official numbers are, but in the afternoon, the only big stop is Port Richmond Avenue/Harrison Avenue), the S53 can terminate at the S54 terminal by Richmond Terrace.

And I agree with keeping the S83 serving Grasmere. The S53 would become too crowded if it were the only bus serving the Grasmere SIR station.

No, I think you need the S53 and S83 serving Port Richmond. There appears to be a pretty good crowd whenever I do use the S53 at Forest Avenue or the stop above it near the SI Zoo depending on my mood. Part of my goal to ensure that local buses can also move better as well and don't get overcrowded.

I've decided that I'll go tomorrow to discuss the S93. I want to explain my plan to extend it to Arlington and provide more network coverage in the process (by serving the SIE service road), and I'll discuss adding midday and Saturday service (the Saturday service would use the S62 trips that start/terminate at CSI, with a few trips added in the AM and PM rush)

A word of advice. Pick one or two topics and focus on them, keeping in mind that you've only got 2 minutes to speak. If you run all over the place like I saw in the clip, they'll just dismiss you. It was even hard for me to follow you! lol I would practice what you want to discuss tomorrow and such this way you can stay focused and get out what you want to say. :P

No, I think you need the S53 and S83 serving Port Richmond. There appears to be a pretty good crowd whenever I do use the S53 at Forest Avenue or the stop above it near the SI Zoo depending on my mood. Part of my goal to ensure that local buses can also move better as well and don't get overcrowded.

A word of advice. Pick one or two topics and focus on them, keeping in mind that you've only got 2 minutes to speak. If you run all over the place like I saw in the clip, they'll just dismiss you. It was even hard for me to follow you! lol I would practice what you want to discuss tomorrow and such this way you can stay focused and get out what you want to say. :P

A decent crowd gets on at Castleton Avenue/Broadway (Which would still be served by the local), but I agree that they should serve Port Richmond.

You can have the limited stops (both ways) at:

Broadway/Forest Avenue

Broadway/Cary Avenue

Broadway/Castleton Avenue

Castleton Avenue/Clove Road

Castleton Avenue/Jewett Avenue

Port Richmond Avenue/Harrison Avenue (it's a short block north of Castleton)

then local stops to Richmond Terrace (there's only one or two, and they're lightly used so it won't make much of a difference. Plus, there's no traffic lights in that section, so you don't have the problem of a bus missing a green light to pick up passengers)

And those are pretty much the two topics: Saturday service on the S93 and an extension to Arlington.

The S93 does not need to be extended.

And what exactly is supposed to fill the gap between Victory Blvd and Forest Avenue? I proposed a new route (the S82) that would serve the area, but I think a short extension is a lot cheaper than a new route (even though the S82 would fill a different need)

Plus, as a person who's walking a mile to CSI to catch the S93, I think it's needed.

Archived