WiFi on platforms by Year's End?

RoadifyDan

So now instead of staring at the crumbling walls, dead rats, and sketchy homeless people, I can pull out my expensive electronics and become a prime target for a robbery. Fantastic.

That's your own choice bub.

As for Wi-Fi, I think its a brilliant idea, and far too long coming. Slowly but surely the (MTA) is improving things to bring them into the 21st Century. Though, keep in mind we still have stuff from the 19th Century in our system... Might take a lot more work.

As for Wi-Fi, I think its a brilliant idea, and far too long coming. Slowly but surely the (MTA) is improving things to bring them into the 21st Century. Though, keep in mind we still have stuff from the 19th Century in our system... Might take a lot more work.

I agree - almost every other transit agency in the country is either above ground or provides wifi to underground customers. Time for the MTA to step up to the plate.

What's different about someone stealing a cell phone as you're walking down the street?

Thats yours as well. Look at all the money is spending on stuff not needed.

What is this system gonna turn into? A Coffee shop? If you want free internet, go to the Library, Starbucks, or pay for it at home or steal it from someone who has unsecured network. This system is to move people, not have people sit on the floor, train or what ever for internet all day.

Besides, when you connect to a Wifi network, you need to be within the location of the Wifi signal or else it disconnects you. Dk how this is gonna work.

Yeah its upgrading us to New Tech.. But we need to spend money wisely...

Now that Walders is gonna be out by the end of the year, things ill change here... What ill happen to the 2nd Avenue Subway (P1)?

The MTA talked about adding phone service and now wifi... smh.. Thats too much..

If they wanna add Wifi, fine.. Maybe the new Fulton Transit Center, Grand Central or Penn, any major stop. But every station? Nope. Not a good idea..

More junk, more money we have to pay for this with fare.. Yeah the Governor may have stepped in to pause all this, but that doesn't mean it ill work for long.

Security... Another issue.. The (MTA) tells us to keep our electronics secured.. Now i pull it out.. Someone wants to rob me.. Especially crime ain't good in the city and subway.

This is a total waste of money, they should fix the tiles and the ceilings and spend the money on cleaning up the stations.
this doesnt coast the MTA a thing, AT&T is paying for this and being that its an outside vender they pay the MTA money for using the system so this would help the MTA with raising money and funds for other projects we need.

this doesnt coast the MTA a thing, AT&T is paying for this and being that its an outside vender they pay the MTA money for using the system so this would help the MTA with raising money and funds for other projects we need.

And why would AT&T be paying for this? What are they getting?

And why would AT&T be paying for this? What are they getting?
wow im sorry too say this but thats how they do it, if you use this system too work your own business you have too pay, AT&T is the company that did the bid too do this work and they won it so they will pay for the work and for using the system, what they get out of it is customers using there service underground. so far only AT&T is doing this work no one else is.

Time for hackers to hack that Wifi underground.. Yeah im really sure the Network will be unsecured so any hacker can break into information..

Im also sure there will be people entering credit/debit info and then you can expect a lawsuit against T/A about this..

A lot of people dk how to keep there joint secured...

Another reason for an idiot to walk off the platform onto the tracks because they wasn't paying attention. Its already annoying as soon as a train gets outside everyone and they momma starts the convos on the cells.

It's creative population control, nothing wrong with that.

You guys are thinking far too simple-mindedly here. This is not some unsecured network run by the (MTA). It is a private company that's setting up the system within the Subway system and capturing a market, over 8 million people a day. If it doesn't cost the (MTA) a dime, why shouldn't they do it?

Time for hackers to hack that Wifi underground.. Yeah im really sure the Network will be unsecured so any hacker can break into information..

Im also sure there will be people entering credit/debit info and then you can expect a lawsuit against T/A about this..

A lot of people dk how to keep there joint secured...

it wouldnt be any different than using it above ground, if you do anything like that you shouldnt do it over a wifi access and if you do its on you. its no different at all.

Guest lance25

You know, it's a bit disconcerting seeing all this aversion to bringing cell phone access and WiFi to the underground stations. Just because you don't use your cell phone underground, that doesn't mean everyone doesn't as well. I'm sure there are plenty of folks who'd like to access the internet or make a phone call while on the train for business or whatever. And for those who will say this will encourage more loud talkers on the trains, how is that any different from the school kids or the mothers with the baby-mama-drama who feel the need to yell at their friends/relatives/whatever when they're sitting right next to each other? Surely, that can't be all that different.

I could understand if the (MTA) was ponying up the money for this project, then sure, I'd agree the money could be spent elsewhere. However, that's not the case here, not by a long shot. In fact, the (MTA) is actually expected to make $30 million in ten years from this excursion, which will be paid for entirely by Transit Wireless. TW pays for the equipment, wireless providers pay for the service, (MTA) gets share of profits. Now in terms of dollars and cents, why shouldn't the (MTA) do this?

it wouldnt be any different than using it above ground, if you do anything like that you shouldnt do it over a wifi access and if you do its on you. its no different at all.

Fine then, lets bring a table underground, have some coffee and take out out laptops. Pretty much, even none subway riders will pretty much chill in hot ass subway stations for some free internet lol.

So now instead of staring at the crumbling walls, dead rats, and sketchy homeless people, I can pull out my expensive electronics and become a prime target for a robbery. Fantastic.

I understand youre being humorous, but technology doesn't mean you don't pay the attention to your surroundings. Ive used my expensive gizmos and gadgets on public transportation (like this afternoon's (E) train) without being targeted because I knew what was going on.

And lets face it, anyone who walks and stares at their phone and not where theyre walking deserves to get mugged.

Archived