Soaking the Rich will not solve Spending Problem

R68 Subway Car

Yes and you seem to forget that money can easily change a person's personality and the way they act.

You can say that again!

Oh please. You're going to sit here and tell me that if you won the lottery that your life wouldn't change one bit? You wouldn't go out and get either a fancier apartment or house??? Come on now. Let's be real. I've always preferred the nicer things in life even as kid and perhaps that's due to my parents spoiling me as a single child. I didn't get everything that I wanted, but I got most of what I wanted. The thing is they also taught me to appreciate the simple things in life, and that hard work is needed if you want things in life. However, that doesn't mean that my personality has remained the same now that I'm earning well as a young professional when compared to say my college days where I had my odd jobs (private tutoring, etc.) on the side. When you start earning a certain amount of money, generally the more you earn the more you spend. It's only natural.

You start to frequent certain high end restaurants, go to exclusive places and so on.

That's his whole point! What in the world are you talking about? Did you read his post correctly?

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You can say that again!

That's his whole point! What in the world are you talking about? Did you read his post correctly?

I read it, but there are people here talking about how they wouldn't change and all of this and how much they don't want to turn into the folks with dough. He said "people" change as if to imply that he wouldn't change if he got money and so my question to him was who is he kidding if he doesn't think that he isn't going to change if he came into money?

I read it, but there are people here talking about how they wouldn't change and all of this and how much they don't want to turn into the folks with dough. He said "people" change as if to imply that he wouldn't change if he got money and so my question to him was who is he kidding if he doesn't think that he isn't going to change if he came into money?

Oh ok now I get it. I know I said I would never change either, but most times than none, the money does go your head.

I'm still the same old me personality-wise, but I do things a little different, and my attitude is somewhat "enhanced," if you will.

Oh please. You're going to sit here and tell me that if you won the lottery that your life wouldn't change one bit? You wouldn't go out and get either a fancier apartment or house??? Come on now. Let's be real. I've always preferred the nicer things in life even as kid and perhaps that's due to my parents spoiling me as a single child. I didn't get everything that I wanted, but I got most of what I wanted. The thing is they also taught me to appreciate the simple things in life, and that hard work is needed if you want things in life. However, that doesn't mean that my personality has remained the same now that I'm earning well as a young professional when compared to say my college days where I had my odd jobs (private tutoring, etc.) on the side. When you start earning a certain amount of money, generally the more you earn the more you spend. It's only natural.

You start to frequent certain high end restaurants, go to exclusive places and so on.

If that was supposed to be an argument against what I said....

Anyway I'm not saying there's anything wrong with it. But I've seen people change for the worst once money comes around. They forget what it was like before they had a lot. I come into money I'll still walk my ass into a white castle and order the usual.

This part of it is not necessarily true.... If I were to come into some serious money, I would not start eating at high end restaurants.... My diet (or lack thereof) is not gonna change because I have more money..... My personality won't change b/c I have more money.... As an introvert, that is absolutely absurd to me....

In sayin that, It's almost like you're implying you're supposed to change who you are as a person... Realize that everyone aint into the high class lifestyle & what it brings; you can still be a low key type of dude & hold bank.... and I'm not talkin about on no illegal BS either....

If you think every rich cat is up in some 5 star restaurant all suited up, toastin that fiiine wine w/ his cohorts *ping*, tippin waitors 50's & up, you are mistaken.... If you're an outgoing person, yeah that'll appeal to you.... If you take on that lifestyle b/c you feel you have something to prove to society, or yourself, you'll start taking on that lifestyle - and this one goes back to that point about not being used to having money.....

Oh shit, I just won the lotto.... whoop, goodbye domino's pizza, goodbye pizza hut....

Hello Le Bernardin, Hello Jean Georges...

yeah right.......

For the record, that wasn't a correction, that was just a variation of the saying "It's not what you know, it's who you know".

For example, if you're talking to a friend who believes that you can get a good job based on skill alone:

You: It's not who you know.

Friend: Exactly

You: It's what you know.

Yeah, sayin "whom" adds more emphasis....

I'm big on adages/sayings, so I heard that variant of it as well....

This part of it is not necessarily true.... If I were to come into some serious money, I would not start eating at high end restaurants.... My diet (or lack thereof) is not gonna change because I have more money..... My personality won't change b/c I have more money.... As an introvert, that is absolutely absurd to me....

LOL.. You an introvert??? I find that hard to believe. At least based on your personality on here.

In sayin that, It's almost like you're implying you're supposed to change who you are as a person... Realize that everyone aint into the high class lifestyle & what it brings; you can still be a low key type of dude & hold bank.... and I'm not talkin about on no illegal BS either....

If you think every rich cat is up in some 5 star restaurant all suited up, toastin that fiiine wine w/ his cohorts *ping*, tippin waitors 50's & up, you are mistaken.... If you're an outgoing person, yeah that'll appeal to you.... If you take on that lifestyle b/c you feel you have something to prove to society, or yourself, you'll start taking on that lifestyle - and this one goes back to that point about not being used to having money.....

Oh shit, I just won the lotto.... whoop, goodbye domino's pizza, goodbye pizza hut....

Hello Le Bernardin, Hello Jean Georges...

yeah right.......

I personally think that money forces one to change their ways whether they want to or not to some degree. Look at those basketball players. You don't see them living in the hood once they make it big. Sure, they're still pretty ghetto going to their regular spots to eat and such back in the hood or whatever and the hood never leaves them, but they are changed to some degree.

They buy the BMW or the Mercedes or whatever to show off their wealth to entire world (LOL), put on all of the bling bling and do certain things that a rich hood rat would do. LOL No, they're not classier and they don't switch from Domino's to eating at chic places like Jean-Georges, Cipriani or Le Bernardin, but they do change somewhat.

It's funny that you brought up Jean-Georges. I worked with them a few years back on a translation project and was invited for lunch at their restaurant Downtown. You made me remember that I need to take my contact up on her offer. :cool:

Lol, no you're completely right. It's like when you see a Lambo outside McDonald's -- I figure you've got old school money, which will go to those fancy spots, and new money, whose is gonna live just like he used to. And if we're talking about suddenly getting rich, that's new money, and nothing's gonna change.

Oh and for the record, Domino's Pizza is holy stuff. I love that place.

A so called "Eye-talian" eating Domino's... Smh :eek:

LOL.. You an introvert??? I find that hard to believe. At least based on your personality on here.

I've stated that I'm not a people person quite a few times on here....

Anyway, an introvert communicates better through writing... It gives him/her (more) time to think before they actually say/send something.... It frustrates me to hear someone talk before they think; usually nonsense spews out as a result of it....

I personally think that money forces one to change their ways whether they want to or not to some degree. Look at those basketball players. You don't see them living in the hood once they make it big. Sure, they're still pretty ghetto going to their regular spots to eat and such back in the hood or whatever and the hood never leaves them, but they are changed to some degree.

They buy the BMW or the Mercedes or whatever to show off their wealth to entire world (LOL), put on all of the bling bling and do certain things that a rich hood rat would do. LOL No, they're not classier and they don't switch from Domino's to eating at chic places like Jean-Georges, Cipriani or Le Bernardin, but they do change somewhat.

It's funny that you brought up Jean-Georges. I worked with them a few years back on a translation project and was invited for lunch at their restaurant Downtown. You made me remember that I need to take my contact up on her offer. :cool:

I believe grown men & women don't up & change who they genuinely are....

It's like....

- You can take the hood brotha out the hood, but you can't take the hood out the hood brotha....

- You can't turn a ho into a housewife...

- Only simps turn jumpoffs into wifeys

(any man that's about somethin doesn't go out seeking low class, low quality women to have as an armpiece - at least if he doesn't have some type of superiority complex)...

- You don't bring a wild ass lion into a home & expect it to become domesticated - you don't go from RRROOAARR to meowwwwww.... lmfao....

Furthermore, they're forced to change certain aspects of their being (some of their mannerisms, ways, etc) b/c that's what the lifestyle entails.... The hood dude strikin it rich leaves for safety reasons (that's a whole 'notha discussion I don't wanna get into on here).....

I'm not up here stating/implying that NO aspect of your life will change when you come up on money..... but to infer to me that I'm gonna start eatin at high class spots & attempt to gain entry into some popular spot I never cared to venture to even when I dreamed of gettin money.... Nah, that doesn't fly AFAIC....

I've stated that I'm not a people person quite a few times on here....

Anyway, an introvert communicates better through writing... It gives him/her time to think before they actually say/send something....

Well I see your point. I'm not exactly a people person either to be honest, although I do find that annoying people are drawn to me. :mad: I'm sure you can relate to some degree... But yeah I know what you mean. You've got your group of friends or whatever and that's how you do it. I wouldn't necessarily call myself introverted though because I love going out and such and can strike up a convo provided that the people that want to chat are cool, but I also enjoy spending time by myself, probably because I'm an only child. I mean if a buddy of mine calls me up and says let's go have some drinks which happens a lot actually when I'm hanging out with my friends (hanging out on the fly I mean), well sure I'm down for it, but my day won't be destroyed drinking alone that's for sure.

I'm not very trusting of folks because they always seem to have some sort of angle and I always want to be a step ahead to f*ck them over before they get a stab at me.

I believe grown men & women don't up & change who they genuinely are....

It's like.... You can take the hood brotha out the hood, but you can't take the hood out the hood brotha.... You can't turn a ho into a housewife... Only simps turn jumpoffs into wifeys... You don't bring a wild ass lion into a home & expect it to become domesticated - you don't go from RRROOAARR to meowwwwww.... lmfao....

Furthermore, they're forced to change certain aspects of their being (some of their mannerisms, ways, etc) b/c that's what the lifestyle entails.... The hood dude strikin it rich leaves for safety reasons (that's a whole 'notha discussion I don't wanna get into on here).....

I'm not up here stating/implying that NO aspect of your life will change when you come up on money..... but to infer to me that I'm gonna start eatin at high class spots & attempt to gain entry into some popular spot I never cared to venture to even when I dreamed of gettin money.... Nah, that doesn't fly AFAIC....

Yes, I think we can both agree that at least some aspect of their lives change.

Well I see your point. I'm not exactly a people person either to be honest, although I do find that annoying people are drawn to me. :mad: I'm sure you can relate to some degree... But yeah I know what you mean. You've got your group of friends or whatever and that's how you do it. I wouldn't necessarily call myself introverted though because I love going out and such and can strike up a convo provided that the people that want to chat are cool, but I also enjoy spending time by myself, probably because I'm an only child. I mean if a buddy of mine calls me up and says let's go have some drinks which happens a lot actually when I'm hanging out with my friends (hanging out on the fly I mean), well sure I'm down for it, but my day won't be destroyed drinking alone that's for sure.

I'm not very trusting of folks because they always seem to have some sort of angle and I always want to be a step ahead to f*ck them over before they get a stab at me.

Yes, I think we can both agree that at least some aspect of their lives change.

Ambiverted....

Sometimes I get thrown into that category too.... Major difference is, I need my time alone.... When I get away from people I don't wanna be around, I feel that huge weight being lifted off my shoulders... it's like one exhale that feels good enough to take the place of 50 exhales (lol)... that's the best I can describe it.....

I don't start conversations, but I have a nact for, and can sure as hell keep one goin if I'm in the right mood & if it's something that interests me - this is what draws ppl to me.... That much is evident in my posting habits alone here....

The trust thing, oh of course... you always gotta be 10 steps ahead of folks, or else you'll get walked all over on... especially when it comes to....

Money !

Ambiverted....

Sometimes I get thrown into that category too.... Major difference is, I need my time alone.... When I get away from people I don't wanna be around, I feel that huge weight being lifted off my shoulders... it's like one exhale that feels good enough to take the place of 50 exhales (lol)... that's the best I can describe it.....

I don't start conversations, but I have a nact for, and can sure as hell keep one goin if I'm in the right mood & if it's something that interests me - this is what draws ppl to me.... That much is evident in my posting habits alone here....

The trust thing, oh of course... you always gotta be 10 steps ahead of folks, or else you'll get walked all over on... especially when it comes to....

Money !

lol...

I was never spoiled as a child, I learned the value of hard work. I feel better when I earn the things I want. Gives you a nice feeling of self-pride.

I don't really want a fancy house/apartment, just something I can express myself freely with. I'm actually more worried about the interior than the size of my house, it's got to look nice and reflect who I am, some nice artist-inspired furniture would be perfect, I can't have the generic sofa/coffee table looking furniture, it's why I have a generous interest in the furniture IKEA makes, very interesting selection.

Hell, I don't need a fancy restaurant, Jackson Hole (especially the one in Manhattan with the jukebox in it) and Dallas BBQ are among my favorites, they're all I need, along with some good friends!

I was never spoiled as a child, I learned the value of hard work. I feel better when I earn the things I want. Gives you a nice feeling of self-pride.

I don't really want a fancy house/apartment, just something I can express myself freely with. I'm actually more worried about the interior than the size of my house, it's got to look nice and reflect who I am, some nice artist-inspired furniture would be perfect, I can't have the generic sofa/coffee table looking furniture, it's why I have a generous interest in the furniture IKEA makes, very interesting selection.

Hell, I don't need a fancy restaurant, Jackson Hole (especially the one in Manhattan with the jukebox in it) and Dallas BBQ are among my favorites, they're all I need, along with some good friends!

Amen to Jackson Hole and BBQs. BTW the Jackson Hole on Bell Blvd in Queens has a jukebox ,too.

LOL You don't want something generic, so you go to IKEA?? Their furniture is the epitome of generic :eek:

But what if a man's pursuit of happiness IS making lots and lots of money? Human history shows this is almost always true, especially in this country.

Then that person needs to find a better metric to value their life.

Because a good economic system allows for income disparity but keeps it from becoming too egregious so that the overall health of the economy grows.

A CEO who makes $10 million a year. If that CEO makes $9 million a year, and that company uses the remaining $1 million to hire 20 employees at $50,000 / year.

1)The CEO, if he makes $10 million a year, does not spend much of it.

2)The CEO, if he makes $9 million a year, still does not spend much of it. But the 20 employees making $50,000 spend most of what they make. If much of goods and services are "made in USA" or "USA based" then that spurs economic growth (or at least prevents economic shrinkage) by maintaining demand through compensating the middle class.

I am simply advocating individual and corporate tax policy that creates an incentive for companies, who have a fiduciary duty to their shareholders to provide maximum value for the shareholder investment, to collectively begin to bring compensation into line in the manner of example #2 above for the health of the overall economy, the American consumer, American worker, and middle class.

In other words, you hate being successful??? :confused:

There is nothing wrong with earning a lot of money nor with having the desire to do so. It seems like many folks don't have the balls to take that big leap and make it happen and that's the beauty of capitalism. The go getters go out and make the money and haters stand back and look for handouts from those making the money.

No one's looking for a handout. Stop parroting other people who say this.

The middle class gets NO handouts. Yet every year, their dollars become more and more worthless because the government prints money and takes out debt from ENEMY foreign nations like China to keep the economy afloat through bailouts and stimulus.

And the banks that caused the crisis are paying their executives record salaries and record bonuses.

If you call that the "beauty" of capitalism you're delusional.

You're missing the point. The reverse happens you gotta adjust too. You don't make as much, you gotta spend less. Bye bye fancy restaurants, hello McDonald's and cheap diners. It is what it is.

Somehow it's a "crying shame" when the rich have to adjust back to their old ways (or adjust to new ways as a "not-that-rich-person") but when middle class people got laid off, and saw their paychecks cut in half or more and their healthcare eliminated or premiums doubled, that was OK because they were "living above their means"? (quotes applied selectively)

Time to end the double standards.

I'm surprised no one here on both sides (esp. SubwayGuy) quoted this famous line by U.S. Supreme Court Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr, who stated in his dissenting opinion in the case Compania General De Tabacos De Filipinas v. Collector of Internal Revenue, 1927 that

"Taxes are what we pay for a civilized society."

Excellent quote, and completely relevant. I'm sick to death of these "low-tax" promoters... there's honestly no greater form of selfishness.

And I'm gonna take credit when I said "In a civilized world, you pay taxes" a little while back... ;)

Yeah well in a "civilized" world people aren't overtaxed either... B)

Archived