What Kind of Ethnic People Ride Long Island Bus?

FamousNYLover

I was wondering what kind of ethnic ride on Long Island Bus.

I also want to know which ethnics go to/from where in Nassau County.

Minorities are overrepresented in the ridership of LI Bus. A lot of the hubs tend to be in areas that have a lot of minorities (like the Hempstead Transit Center and Freeport/Hicksville LIRR stations), so I would guess that a lot of them get off there.

I would guess that:

* Hempstead, Roosevelt (N40/N41/N43), Elmont (N1/N2/N8), and Baldwin (N35) to an extent would have a lot of Blacks

* Hicksville, Freeport, and Glen Cove would have a lot of Hispanics.

* The areas along Northern Blvd would have a lot of Asians, as well as the areas by the N25 (New Hyde Park).

I would assume that a lot of Whites take the N57/N58. The buses that go south out of Hicksville would probably see a lot of White riders, but considering the fact that the areas they go through are like 90% White, they are still underrepresented.

A lot of buses pass through the hubs I mentioned, so the people who live in those areas and use the buses are probably mostly minorities, but I'm sure there are some Whites who transfer from the LIRR.

I mean, this is all just a guess. I'd assume you'd know better than me considering that you ride LI Bus more often.

I know what you meant, but be careful how you ask that question....

in general, hispanics dominate the ridership of most the LIB routes.... It is no accident that there is no bus service due east of glen cove, and north of brookville.... any huge gaps you see on the LIB map, are the more affluent parts of Nassau County... majority white people that live in those areas.... East of like Merrick, or East Meadow, is where you start seeing more white ppl. using LIB's; not near as many hispanics on buses as there are west of that point/area....

if you're wondering, you'd be very hard pressed to find a LIB route that has a significant Asian riderbase.... I can't think of one....

^^ however, don't let that be a deterrent to riding in other areas out there.... If you have a specific question, PM me & I'll try to shed insight on what you may (really) want an answer to....

hope that helps....

From my observations of LI Bus:

-Most riders are minorities, by race, age, or income.

-Mostly the poor working in service jobs/in stores.

-South of Hicksville routes (N50, N73/74, N80/81) are mostly the elderly/disabled, mostly whites.

-Hispanics are dominant in Central Nassau. (Hempstead, Glen Cove, Freeport)

-Of course LOTS of NCC students.

-LIRR commuters are VERY underrepresented. In fact, the buses at Hicksville that connect with the peak-of-the-peak LIRR trains out of NYP are WAY emptier than the before-6PM trips. In fact, the only time I see lots of standees on the N79 is reverse peak (EB) in the morning. Exception to this would be the routes that connect with the subway.

I would assume that the lower ridership the route, the more whites there are.

Also, as compared to NYCT bus, a LOT more cash payers and those with insufficient fare MetroCards.

in general, hispanics dominate the ridership of most the LIB routes.... It is no accident that there is no bus service due east of glen cove, and north of brookville.... any huge gaps you see on the LIB map, are the more affluent parts of Nassau County... majority white people that live in those areas.... East of like Merrick, or East Meadow, is where you start seeing more white ppl. using LIB's; not near as many hispanics on buses as there are west of that point/area....

if you're wondering, you'd be very hard pressed to find a LIB route that has a significant Asian riderbase.... I can't think of one....

^^ however, don't let that be a deterrent to riding in other areas out there.... If you have a specific question, PM me & I'll try to shed insight on what you may (really) want an answer to....

hope that helps....

what route are white bus route

hope that helps....

Out of curiosity, do you think that there should be a bus route serving Oyster Bay? I mean, there is some activity along the Rt. 106 corridor (of course, this is judging by Google Maps). Maybe one of the routes coming from Hicksville could be extended north.

That looks like the only part of Nassau that doesn't have bus service that isn't a really wealthy area.

I also think that service in the Glen Cove area could be expanded. Maybe the N21 can be extended to the waterfront, and the N27 could go down Forest Avenue to Locust Valley.

By the way, were you able to make the chart showing the demographics of the different routes (in NYC)?

From my observations of LI Bus:

-Most riders are minorities, by race, age, or income.

-Mostly the poor working in service jobs/in stores.

-South of Hicksville routes (N50, N73/74, N80/81) are mostly the elderly/disabled, mostly whites.

-Hispanics are dominant in Central Nassau. (Hempstead, Glen Cove, Freeport)

-Of course LOTS of NCC students.

-LIRR commuters are VERY underrepresented. In fact, the buses at Hicksville that connect with the peak-of-the-peak LIRR trains out of NYP are WAY emptier than the before-6PM trips. In fact, the only time I see lots of standees on the N79 is reverse peak (EB) in the morning. Exception to this would be the routes that connect with the subway.

I would assume that the lower ridership the route, the more whites there are.

Also, as compared to NYCT bus, a LOT more cash payers and those with insufficient fare MetroCards.

Many of my LI white friends say the buses are TOO infrequent for them to use they say they will use em more if they ran better but you can't run like crap and expect the mainstream to use it. Think about it the majority of LI nassau ppl are white in order for the network to be efficient you have to serve the white ppl with adequate service in order for the lines to work. Therefore the low ridership doesn't surprise me. You can't run a bus network that only works for 1 out of 10 nassau ppl that is stupid

Minorities are overrepresented in the ridership of LI Bus. A lot of the hubs tend to be in areas that have a lot of minorities (like the Hempstead Transit Center and Freeport/Hicksville LIRR stations), so I would guess that a lot of them get off there.

I would guess that:

* Hempstead, Roosevelt (N40/N41/N43), Elmont (N1/N2/N8), and Baldwin (N35) to an extent would have a lot of Blacks

* Hicksville, Freeport, and Glen Cove would have a lot of Hispanics.

* The areas along Northern Blvd would have a lot of Asians, as well as the areas by the N25 (New Hyde Park).

I would assume that a lot of Whites take the N57/N58. The buses that go south out of Hicksville would probably see a lot of White riders, but considering the fact that the areas they go through are like 90% White, they are still underrepresented.

A lot of buses pass through the hubs I mentioned, so the people who live in those areas and use the buses are probably mostly minorities, but I'm sure there are some Whites who transfer from the LIRR.

I mean, this is all just a guess. I'd assume you'd know better than me considering that you ride LI Bus more often.

N57/58 is old people and hispanics.

Out of curiosity, do you think that there should be a bus route serving Oyster Bay? I mean, there is some activity along the Rt. 106 corridor (of course, this is judging by Google Maps). Maybe one of the routes coming from Hicksville could be extended north.

That looks like the only part of Nassau that doesn't have bus service that isn't a really wealthy area.

I also think that service in the Glen Cove area could be expanded. Maybe the N21 can be extended to the waterfront, and the N27 could go down Forest Avenue to Locust Valley.

Oyster Bay is relatively isolated. To get to Glen Cove or Hicksville, one must drive on roads along which there's nothing but trees and mansions. (similar to N20 nonstop portion which is very expensive)

Extending the N27 up Forest Ave to Locust Valley RR is a good idea. The N21 can be brought up Dosoris Ln to Old Tappan Rd.

What there should be is a new route that runs like this:

Start Syosset LIRR station

South Jackson Av to Jericho Tpk

West Jericho Tpk to Mineola Bl

Mineola Bl to Mineola

As a connector, the N48/49 would terminate at Route 25 just west of the cloverleaf with 106/107 7 days a week (there's a place for a U-turn there)

If anything, Oyster Bay can use a neighborhood shuttle with cutaway vans that are timed to meet improved LIRR service. Or if the MTA doesn't want to improve LIRR service, they could run shuttles to Syosset (and thus connect to the rest of the county via my proposed route). But I don't think connecting it to other places is really a high priority.

Makes sense. So how would the neighborhood cirulcator run? Back and forth between Northern Blvd and the LIRR station, or would be be demand-responsive?

For the N21, I was thinking of extending it down Landing Road to end by Morgan Memorial Park. It seems as if the density is higher in that area (grid-like vs. cul-de-sacs)

By the way, were you able to make the chart showing the demographics of the different routes (in NYC)?

Honestly the only bus route I see that can possibly serve oyster bay is N81 via S oyster bay rd giving up hicksville but with N79 connections it's a sacrifice and a risk. The N50 can go to rte 106 en rte to oyster bay but it still needs to merge with N14 so it can act as a cross-town for Centennial ave corridor that has ALOT of activity some rush hr N50's can stay on long beach rd to help N15 indirectly. But all others travel via N14 routing to rockville centre. Sorry but rte 106 has very little activity I have been to oyster bay its a ghost town on weekends and at off-peak hours it only sees activity for ppl heading to places by the LIRR. The line that will have the highest ridership potential for oyster bay is actually the N35 cause if extended it would have to go through the colleges thus gaining that additional student ridership. In addition the side effect will be more LIRR riders and less cars as students will use LIRR to westbury for N35 rather than drive LIE the N35 will capture the student riders making the line more cost-efficient plus the country club riders should the N35's routing be placed carefully and strategically if done wrong the line will fail if done correctly the rewards will be VERY HIGH!!!!!! ONE problem this will only work if the breakdown problem is brought under control as ppl WILL NOT be willing to make a million transfers PERIOD. Veolia should be able to solve the problems so these changes become practical. I already talked with you checkmate about N58 and N20 service you know full well oyster bay alone is NOT enough to garner a healthy ridership base at all.

Oyster Bay is relatively isolated. To get to Glen Cove or Hicksville, one must drive on roads along which there's nothing but trees and mansions. (similar to N20 nonstop portion which is very expensive)

Extending the N27 up Forest Ave to Locust Valley RR is a good idea. The N21 can be brought up Dosoris Ln to Old Tappan Rd.

What there should be is a new route that runs like this:

Start Syosset LIRR station

South Jackson Av to Jericho Tpk

West Jericho Tpk to Mineola Bl

Mineola Bl to Mineola

As a connector, the N48/49 would terminate at Route 25 just west of the cloverleaf with 106/107 7 days a week (there's a place for a U-turn there)

If anything, Oyster Bay can use a neighborhood shuttle with cutaway vans that are timed to meet improved LIRR service. Or if the MTA doesn't want to improve LIRR service, they could run shuttles to Syosset (and thus connect to the rest of the county via my proposed route). But I don't think connecting it to other places is really a high priority.

I am impressed with the jericho route maybe it can be done by endibg N8 at linden blvd and 235th street then have it use nassau blvd from hempstead tpk en rte to mineola then go on ur proposed route. Originally I wanted to throw shortline a bone by giving them a jericho tpk route which would be open door and garner high ridership giving them an excuse to enhance service between westchester and LI using their OWL trips and such with timed transfers with hampton jitney at jericho to increase potential ridership and bring in a megabus type intercity service to LI the shortline LI rte will however no longer go beyond nassau as a result eliminating the suffolk stops. But that I admit is too extreme and cowardly. Your idea however makes more sense while mine is a huge gamble and has too many unknowns!!!! Your idea is bold and direct. I learned from N58 that line is not compatible with N80/81 but has the ability to be it's own by going to huntington via northern blvd this is meant for travellers going straight through therefore can't serve old northern like N20/21 it has to be different and have a short travel time otherwise it would fail to attract ridership.

Makes sense. So how would the neighborhood cirulcator run? Back and forth between Northern Blvd and the LIRR station, or would be be demand-responsive?

For the N21, I was thinking of extending it down Landing Road to end by Morgan Memorial Park. It seems as if the density is higher in that area (grid-like vs. cul-de-sacs)

You know, I never thought about demand response. It usually isn't the first thing to come to mind in Nassau. But it could work like RI's FLEX system: have the demand response be a certain area, and then scheduled pickups at the transfer center (in this case Syosset).

The boundary could be W Shore Rd-Main St-Mill River Rd-25A-Cove Rd.

ONE problem this will only work if the breakdown problem is brought under control as ppl WILL NOT be willing to make a million transfers PERIOD. Veolia should be able to solve the problems so these changes become practical. I already talked with you checkmate about N58 and N20 service you know full well oyster bay alone is NOT enough to garner a healthy ridership base at all.

I know, but I figured I'd ask here in case anybody else had a different opinion. I mean, Oyster Bay is a pretty isolated area.

You know, I never though about demand response. It usually isn't the first thing to come to mind in Nassau. But it could work like RI's FLEX system: have the demand response be a certain area, and then scheduled pickups at the transfer center (in this case Syosset).

The boundary could be W Shore Rd-Main St-Mill River Rd-25A-Cove Rd.

That could work.

1) Nah, I don't think a bus route should go up there either way.... leave them w/ their RR service....

2) I agree w/ service expansion w/i Glen cove; N21 (or the N27) should actually serve (more of) Glen cove, instead terminating where they currently do - which is too much of an inconvenience/hassle for folks to get to...

3) I haven't touched that wordpad file since the time before the last time you PM'd me.....

Many of my LI white friends say the buses are TOO infrequent for them to use they say they will use em more if they ran better but you can't run like crap and expect the mainstream to use it. Think about it the majority of LI nassau ppl are white in order for the network to be efficient you have to serve the white ppl with adequate service in order for the lines to work. Therefore the low ridership doesn't surprise me. You can't run a bus network that only works for 1 out of 10 nassau ppl that is stupid

I agree w/ the general logic, but in reality, it's not the way things are out there.... There's a much bigger problem than efficiency, timeliness, headways, and all the other tangibles, in regards to bus service.....

The bus, in Nassau county is viewed as a third-class mode of transportation, and it is treated as such.... forget upper class whites, you aint gettin middle class whites to give up the car to the LIRR, or the car itself, for the bus to the LIRR, or the bus, period.... not happening.....

the irony is, bus routes in nassau county where most of its riders are white, those are the routes that get more service than they deserve..... like Amtrak7 said, the lower the ridership is, the more whites in the area where those buses serve.....

So I'm not buying what your friend is selling.... buses can run on 5 min. headways & they still wouldn't consider the idea of "taking the bus".... it's a stigma sort of thing; you are seen as poor if you take the bus....

1) Nah, I don't think a bus route should go up there either way.... leave them w/ their RR service....

2) I agree w/ service expansion w/i Glen cove; N21 (or the N27) should actually serve (more of) Glen cove, instead terminating where they currently do - which is too much of an inconvenience/hassle for folks to get to...

3) I haven't touched that wordpad file since the time before the last time you PM'd me.....

I agree w/ the general logic, but in reality, it's not the way things are out there.... There's a much bigger problem than efficiency, timeliness, headways, and all the other tangibles, in regards to bus service.....

The bus, in Nassau county is viewed as a third-class mode of transportation, and it is treated as such.... forget upper class whites, you aint gettin middle class whites to give up the car to the LIRR, or the car itself, for the bus to the LIRR, or the bus, period.... not happening.....

the irony is, bus routes in nassau county where most of its riders are white, those are the routes that get more service than they deserve..... like Amtrak7 said, the lower the ridership is, the more whites in the area where those buses serve.....

So I'm not buying what your friend is selling.... buses can run on 5 min. headways & they still wouldn't consider the idea of "taking the bus".... it's a stigma sort of thing; you are seen as poor if you take the bus....

interesting but would you still be seen as poor if you use a bus that is FAST and like a nassau express if routes like N73/74 were marketed better or differently where their travel times are out there for all to see. Like More direct crostowns you can't just lay down and not try my korean firend suffered shitty suffolk service at SCT's hands due to not having a car I felt sorry for her and emailed her a bunch of schedules

interesting but would you still be seen as poor if you use a bus that is FAST and like a nassau express if routes like N73/74 were marketed better or differently where their travel times are out there for all to see. Like More direct crostowns you can't just lay down and not try my korean firend suffered shitty suffolk service at SCT's hands due to not having a car I felt sorry for her and emailed her a bunch of schedules

Would someone still be seen as poor if they used a bus that's fast? huh?

If english isn't your first language, you need to let ppl. know, because nothing said in this post was sensical.....

and I'm not Korean.

Would someone still be seen as poor if they used a bus that's fast? huh?

If english isn't your first language, you need to let ppl. know, because nothing said in this post was sensical.....

and I'm not Korean.

ehh I give up the only thing that can be done is make service more direct and convenient that's it. There is nothing that can be done disregard my earlier post. I dropped that argument Is there anything that can kill the stigma??

ehh I give up the only thing that can be done is make service more direct and convenient that's it. There is nothing that can be done disregard my earlier post. I dropped that argument Is there anything that can kill the stigma??

yeah...

and to answer that question.... As long as you have the "keeping up with the jones' mentality", and the middle class moving out of LI the way that they are, I would say there's nothin that can be done.....

LIB, err, veolia, in the future is gonna have to have 100% of their focus on catering bus service to the lower & lower middle class folks..... hate to say it like this, but in order for bus service to flourish out there, they're gonna have to cater to a specific class of people.....

yeah...

and to answer that question.... As long as you have the "keeping up with the jones' mentality", and the middle class moving out of LI the way that they are, I would say there's nothin that can be done.....

LIB, err, veolia, in the future is gonna have to have 100% of their focus on catering bus service to the lower & lower middle class folks..... hate to say it like this, but in order for bus service to flourish out there, they're gonna have to cater to a specific class of people.....

Well hampton jitney is used by upper middle class if jitney were to have a LIE LI express service within LI maybe they can get more LI ppl out of their cars.

Well hampton jitney is used by upper middle class if jitney were to have a LIE LI express service within LI maybe they can get more LI ppl out of their cars.

That's true, but HJ is a private operation.....

As far as public transportation though,. I don't see b/w what two areas/points where you can run a public intra-express Nassau or Suffolk route, whose riderbases (that are more middle class) aren't already tapped by the LIRR...

you would have to make it, at the very least, cheaper than the RR to even come close to getting a significant amt. of ppl. out of their cars-to-the-RR, or cars period.....

The MTA does neglect intra LI users, I'll give you that.....

The MTA does neglect intra LI users, I'll give you that.....

True, but there still are lots of those users! I see tons of intra-LI ticket purchases at Hicksville, from KO to Kings Park to Port Jeff to Carle Place to Wantagh.

True, but there still are lots of those users!

yup.... Exactly the reason I brought it up !

This whole white people not liking fast buses discussion is passing me by, but separately iirc, isn't HJ one of those halfie programs where they run private service and then separately are the operators for a state bus service? Not sure what the story is with Veolia though what with their many markets and such.

The white ppl. not liking fast buses thing QJT brought up, is something I already dismissed....

Anyway, not sure if this answers your question, but AFAIK:

- you have the HJ charter buses that run b/w NYC & the north or south fork....

- you have those local buses/routes out there in eastern Suffolk like the S92, 10c, etc. that SCT contracted out.... wasn't even thinking about them in that last reply of mine....

I guess you can look at it like a half public/half private operation.....

This whole white people not liking fast buses discussion is passing me by, but separately iirc, isn't HJ one of those halfie programs where they run private service and then separately are the operators for a state bus service? Not sure what the story is with Veolia though what with their many markets and such.

I meant white ppl not liking SLOW buses NOT fast buses. I think HJ could have ran an intra LI service heck one of the lines can devour the N50 but without heading to bellmore it goes on centinnial instead en rte to long beach or rockville centre seriously they have to at least try

Archived