The Orion VIII "4G"

East New York

NYC Transit Forums Exclusive

There are two new Orion projects that will soon get under way. The first of which is the all new Orion VIII. The Orion VIII designation was previously used for the articulated project, which has been pushed back. That bus will now be designated the Orion IX.

So what is the Orion VIII now???

The Orion VIII is the current designation for the next generation 40 foot low floor. Building off the third generation Orion VII, (which has the best Altoona record of any bus in history) the new bus is sure to be a game changer!:P

• 3 weeks later...
So is the Orion 8 going to look like the NG or are they gona change up the design?

Yeah that's what I want to know too cause the way you said it, it sounds like it'll be another version of the NG/3G and I hope it's an all new design.

• 1 month later...
Where do you get your info from? I hope this is true because I am hearing of a rumor that SEPTA is VERY interested and may purchase these buses. :eek::confused:

I get my info from quite a few places as I work in this industry. Most of which comes directly from the source.

Where do you get your info from? I hope this is true because I am hearing of a rumor that SEPTA is VERY interested and may purchase these buses. :eek::confused:

thats an interesting rumor. i too follow SEPTA and all they seem to like now are New Flyers. I recall them once testing one of NYCT's Orion VIIs, then ordering New Flyer hybrids.

On a side note, do you know of which K-Car is this year's Christmas Trolley?

thats an interesting rumor. i too follow SEPTA and all they seem to like now are New Flyers. I recall them once testing one of NYCT's Orion VIIs, then ordering New Flyer hybrids.

On a side note, do you know of which K-Car is this year's Christmas Trolley?

One of them is 9104. I don't know the other one. its 90xx....

• 4 months later...

The Orion 8 was right around the corner.

Fun Fact - the Orion 8 engineering and design were complete. The first 8 was to start production in just 2 months!

Soo... no Orion VIII? Not even under MCI?

MCI is going to be making Setra buses, they arent going to have Orion. There is another company researching the possibility of aquiring all the finished engineering data for the 8.

I truely believe there is more to this than we know, yet. I have a hard time believing the powers to be decided a company making profits should close it's doors. IMHO this will be part of a bigger restructuring/rebranding strategey, (again IMHO) the Orion name will live on!

The Orion 8 was right around the corner.

Fun Fact - The Orion 8 engineering and design were complete. The first 8 was scheduled to start production in just 2 months!

I truely believe there is more to this than we know, yet. I have a hard time believing the powers to be decided a company making profits should close it's doors. IMHO this will be part of a bigger restructuring/rebranding strategey, (again IMHO) the Orion name will live on!

Keep in mind I never thought America would lose an iconic brand like Pontiace either... lol

MCI is going to be making Setra buses, they arent going to have Orion. There is another company researching the possibility of aquiring all the finished engineering data for the 8.

That is very interesting! There's nothing like using someone's else's design and profiting off of it, see what money can do!?!

I wish I had the money, earlier this month I was thinking if I won the powerball I'd start a bus manufactorer! Too bad I didn't win powerball!

Oh yeah, there is definitely a lot more to it than what was made public. As far as the Orion name and brand itself, it very well might be dead. The company thats looking into the engineering has no plans to actually use the structure of the bus or the Orion name.

Any notable differences about the VIII that you could share? B)

I was told the only main difference would have been some sheet metal. The underpinnings of the bus are the same as the E10/3G's.

That would have been an interesting departure from Orion's traditional practice - the move to a new model number always signaled a major new design, even to the point where the VII had multiple generations and externally looked completely different by the end.

The thing here is that the 3G was the best bus to come out of Orion. So all of the things that made that bus great were incorporated into the new design. The 9 was to be the articulated version of the 8, which were both based off the 7.

The guys at Daimler are smart, and they were thinking long term. When they realized they got it right with the 3G, that's when they decided that an artic could finally be produced, but it would need a fresh look. So instead of making the 8 an artic, they decided to update the look completely, and basically come out with the 4G.

The way I read it was that MCI would be selling Setra and doing all the warranties/parts services sales? Setra's would still be made in Germany.

Archived