Not so good news for Coach USA Riders in Jersey City & Bayonne.....

Pablo M 201

Trans-Hudson Express has posted their intent on discontinuing their bus services at Midnight on November 6, 2011.

The notice is written as such:

Public Notice

Trans-Hudson Express, Inc. DBA Red & Tan Tours, which is the operator of Bus Routes #4 and #99-S, authorized by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration in MC-324537 and US DOT Docket No. 701300, hereby serves notice of it's intent to discontinue service on both these Bus Routes effective at Midnight on November 6, 2011.

Trans-Hudson Express, Inc. DBA

Red & Tan Tours

349 First Street

Elizabeth, NJ 07206

This is not a good look.....

The writing has been on wall with this one for a long time.

just axe the 4 done the 4 is utterly useless

As a daily rider of the 4, I have to say that your statement is totally, completely, utterly false.

The 4 and the 81 mirror each other for the most part in Jersey City, but the 4 has more ridership than the 81. Two reasons for that, the 4 serves one more main neighborhood than the 81 (which is where I fall into the line) and the 4 serves Newport Mall.

All NJT will probably do is make changes to the 81 line for buses to serve the Lafayette neighborhood and Newport Mall. This isn't the first time the 4 has been threatened to be cut so NJT has seen this one coming.

As a daily rider of the 4, I have to say that your statement is totally, completely, utterly false.

The 4 and the 81 mirror each other for the most part in Jersey City, but the 4 has more ridership than the 81. Two reasons for that, the 4 serves one more main neighborhood than the 81 (which is where I fall into the line) and the 4 serves Newport Mall.

All NJT will probably do is make changes to the 81 line for buses to serve the Lafayette neighborhood and Newport Mall. This isn't the first time the 4 has been threatened to be cut so NJT has seen this one coming.

OHH OK that makes sense. but isn't the 4 a duplicate of 81???

Pablo, what do you think will NJT will do with the 10/99S should it end for good?

JFK Blvd south of Journal Square and into Bayonne is a very busy corridor so it will not be left dark. More than likely, NJT might step in and run bus service there. They might make other changes necessary as well. Gotta keep an eye on pieces of information as they come out.

they pretty much made the 10 replace the 99s since i live right there on jfk no 99s but they got the sign up still on the bus stops like been gone since the summer and only made 1 return last month around the beginning of september then after that poof no 99s after that just 10 journal square bound and 10 nyc bound

let NJT take em over already sheesh

Yeah, right. NJT barely is doing anything right with the money and equipment that they have. The 99S/10 is a 24/7 route, and the only route that gets people to Jersey City and lower Union City after the 123 is over, and don't take that for granted. That line for that bus is very lengthy, especially at the early AM hours. NJT only has the 62, 139, 159, 190, and the 559 as the only 24/7 dedicated lines. First off, NJT would get the buses back since they're NJT owned, but who gonna drive them? If NJT brings the people in that drives those lines, the amount of money needed for training them to be NJT baptized is a lot too. Where would the garage be? Would the R/T garage become a NJT garage? Mind you that the garage, if I remember correctly, also has the 24 and 44 lines in Newark, so that's out of the question. So, are they going to do 50/50 with the line: Greenville and Meadowlands?

Too many questions and what-if's that need to be answered if R/T goes bye bye bye next month.

Yeah, right. NJT barely is doing anything right with the money and equipment that they have. The 99S/10 is a 24/7 route, and the only route that gets people to Jersey City and lower Union City after the 123 is over, and don't take that for granted. That line for that bus is very lengthy, especially at the early AM hours. NJT only has the 62, 139, 159, 190, and the 559 as the only 24/7 dedicated lines. First off, NJT would get the buses back since they're NJT owned, but who gonna drive them? If NJT brings the people in that drives those lines, the amount of money needed for training them to be NJT baptized is a lot too. Where would the garage be? Would the R/T garage become a NJT garage? Mind you that the garage, if I remember correctly, also has the 24 and 44 lines in Newark, so that's out of the question. So, are they going to do 50/50 with the line: Greenville and Meadowlands?

Too many questions and what-if's that need to be answered if R/T goes bye bye bye next month.

split with meadowlands,greenville and fairview. I am aware of the crowds for 10/99S so that is a money making opportunity right?? How the hell can that not make money?? ur telling me an additional rte can't be added to that garage that has 24 and 44 don't believe that for a second.

NJT has more 24/7 lines the 551,552,553,554,505,501 and 507

Bus company Red & Tan will cease operating their #99S and #4 buses starting in November, an action that could leave commuters scrambling to find alternative routes to work.

The #99S bus starts in Bayonne, travels up JFK Blvd. through Jersey City and ends at Port Authority bus terminal in New York. The #4 bus travels from Merritt Street to Newport Centre in Jersey City. The two lines will crease to exist after November 6.

Jim Rutheford, general manager for Red & Tan and four other bus companies under the umbrella of Coach USA, confirmed the decision this morning. He said low ridership is to blame.

"We've been struggling with these lines for several years," Rutherford said. "Certainly the economy hasn't helped us."

Rutherford declined to give actual ridership figures.

Red & Tan currently operates three lines, the two that are being halted as well as a #10 bus that runs from Third Street in Bayonne to Journal Square.

Rutherford suggested #99S riders can use the #10 and get into New York using PATH trains, while riders of the #4 bus can look to NJ Transit's Light Rail and #81 bus.

split with meadowlands,greenville and fairview. I am aware of the crowds for 10/99S so that is a money making opportunity right?? How the hell can that not make money?? ur telling me an additional rte can't be added to that garage that has 24 and 44 don't believe that for a second.

NJT has more 24/7 lines the 551,552,553,554,505,501 and 507

It cost money to make money. You add more routes, you need more drivers, you have to train to drivers. The extra buses cost money to gas up. You need more mechanics. You cant just add more routes without knowing how things work. You cant just expect them to interline and change all runs in a flash. You need to hire more drivers.

Just like when we had that 510. We didnt have enough drivers to do the 510, so we went to Newton Av which had extra drivers.

In this case extra drivers will need to be hired. Unless they hire those drivers which I high doubt since NJT hire new drivers daily. What those drivers wiill be told is they will have to apply to NJT and wait, or just head over to community coach or whatever.

Low ridership on the 4? Man, that's a low blow. They need to do checks on that line.

Hopefully NJT will make changes on the 81 to at least bring every other run through the Lafayette area and also serve Newport Mall. The light rail station locations are not convenient enough as alternatives for #4 riders.

Low ridership on the 4? Man, that's a low blow. They need to do checks on that line.

Hopefully NJT will make changes on the 81 to at least bring every other run through the Lafayette area and also serve Newport Mall. The light rail station locations are not convenient enough as alternatives for #4 riders.

Well what is the difference between the 99S and the 10??? the 4 plz just reroute 81 or 1 and enhance em to account for increased ridership. extend one of em to newport mall done.

How do you know 4 has more ridership than 81?? where is the data???

ok you are not kidding about the light rail though however I am not surprised those lines were getting axed if most of a rte duplicates it is DOOMED to get axed reguardless of ridership. They are just using this as an excuse since they know NJT will try to compensate

ok 10 and 99s differ yes both goes the same way but 10 is a local route how they set up the 99s NY bound just pick up when heading to bayonne just drop off passengers im guessing thats why for low ridership also what they wanted pretty much make the 10 the back bone of the 99s had a Journal Square then a NY bound 10 bus via heights and square to new york so if when that cut happens 4 and 99s to be gone there will be the 10 left which means more packed then ever like i live right there where route 10 passes going to Bayonne and Square/New York no matter what packed so that'll be more buses running on the 10 which is prob why they also doing this cut BS

ok 10 and 99s differ yes both goes the same way but 10 is a local route how they set up the 99s NY bound just pick up when heading to bayonne just drop off passengers im guessing thats why for low ridership also what they wanted pretty much make the 10 the back bone of the 99s had a Journal Square then a NY bound 10 bus via heights and square to new york so if when that cut happens 4 and 99s to be gone there will be the 10 left which means more packed then ever like i live right there where route 10 passes going to Bayonne and Square/New York no matter what packed so that'll be more buses running on the 10 which is prob why they also doing this cut BS

if 99s had high ridership why cut it?? heck why not make 99S open door LIMITED STOP version of 10????

I can't figure the schedule which is 10 and which is 99s???

Well what is the difference between the 99S and the 10???
The 10 is local JFK Blvd, the 99S was pick up to NYC and drop off to Bayonne.

the 4 plz just reroute 81 or 1 and enhance em to account for increased ridership. extend one of em to newport mall done.
Easier said than done. The 1 doesn't need to be touched.

How do you know 4 has more ridership than 81?? where is the data???
Clearly you missed when I said I ride the 4 everyday. In the morning rush hours, all of these 4 buses are packed (same with the 81 when picking up in Jersey City, so obviously Ocean Avenue is busy). The evening rush, the way they set up the schedule is all screwed up and they set it up for failure like they've done to routes in the past that they cut.

Now the 4 off peak hours, still a busy line because it goes where people want to go, Newport Mall. Also, many people depend on the 4 in Lafayette.

You think these guys are gonna have route data lying around on the ready? Pssssshhhh Man, this is Red & Tan, those guys be up to no good at all times.

The changes that need to be made to the 81 are minor and NJT was at the ready a few years ago when the 4 almost got cut.

ok you are not kidding about the light rail though however I am not surprised those lines were getting axed if most of a rte duplicates it is DOOMED to get axed reguardless of ridership. They are just using this as an excuse since they know NJT will try to compensate
They were already compensated from monthly pass user counts.

And of course I was not kidding about the light rail. You're preaching to the choir man, I've been around for a long time following the Jersey City bus network, and some longer than myself.

They were already compensated from monthly pass user counts.

And of course I was not kidding about the light rail. You're preaching to the choir man, I've been around for a long time following the Jersey City bus network, and some longer than myself.

He means that if they cut the service, NJT will try to run extra service on that corridor to compensate for the loss of the R & T line.

In any case, he has a point that the 99S could become a limited along JFK Blvd.

if 99s had high ridership why cut it?? heck why not make 99S open door LIMITED STOP version of 10????

I can't figure the schedule which is 10 and which is 99s???

99s is more of a rush hour route then a regular route low because of the pick up NY bound and drop off Bayonne bound

Archived