What do you guys use to clean your computers?

Via Garibaldi 8

Hey, wondering what everybody uses to clean their computers? Particularly their screens? I actually have my new laptop (the keys area) covered with plastic wrap until I can find a plastic cover that's specific to my laptop. LOL My old laptop I would just take the keyboard apart and clean it as needed.

The screens I've been wiping them with those eye-glass material wipes, forgot what they were called, also often slightly damped.

Keyboards, inside the system I usually use those air-compressed canisters to air out the dust.

Never had a problem.

Hey, wondering what everybody uses to clean their computers? Particularly their screens? I actually have my new laptop (the keys area) covered with plastic wrap until I can find a plastic cover that's specific to my laptop. LOL My old laptop I would just take the keyboard apart and clean it as needed.

Don't mean to steer this thread away but what laptop did you get? I'm assuming it's somewhat new. I'm in the market for a good laptop. I've been looking at HP notebooks the past few days.

- keyboards, I go old school on.... I disassemble the keys, get a big enough tupperware bowl, fill it w/ soap & water, then dump all the keys inside...... close the lid & shake it around.... let it sit for about 1/2 hour..... shake it again, then individually wipe off each key....

as for the "body" of the keyboard, I wrap a paper towel around a wet-wipe (don't apply the wet wipe directly) & clean any remnants of dust, food particles, etc. accordingly....

- monitors, I was taught to use a mixture of alcohol & water.... not tap water, but boiled water (of course you let it cool down before applying)... I have a couple old t-shirts I use as rags around the crib, so I use the less dirty ones to apply to the screen.... paper towels damage the screen (I learned that the hard way w/ my first laptop)

- inside the tower, it's good ole air in a can..... I ditched the small paintbrush method

I have the tower hang upside down b/w two tables (acting like a "bridge" b/w the tables, so to speak) & just spray away...... only problem w/ this is, all the dust falls on you...

----------------------------------

as far the laptop keyboard, I actually have saran wrap around the keys... it's a practice I continued w/ from my first laptop....

Don't mean to steer this thread away but what laptop did you get? I'm assuming it's somewhat new. I'm in the market for a good laptop. I've been looking at HP notebooks the past few days.

lol... I always buy Fujitsu laptops... The first one was a Fujitsu and so is this one. This is the E751. Runs at about $1,149.00. Fujitsu laptops are pricier because one they're Made in Japan and two because they tend to last a while. I actually have barely used this one because I still use the other one at home. The new one I use in the office and so far I like it. It's just the operating system that I am still "adjusting" to to say the last. :) If you like HP laptops I say stick with what you like. Fujitsu laptops come with the bare bones so you have to pay for Microsoft Office, as they only give you a trial version. You're basically paying for the computer more than anything, so if you're one of those software bundle types a Fujitsu probably won't go w/your style. I personally love the design of Fujitsu laptops and they're unique IMO. They also are one of the few manufacturers that still supply discs to reformat your hard drive as opposed to getting software off of the web. :cool:

- keyboards, I go old school on.... I disassemble the keys, get a big enough tupperware bowl, fill it w/ soap & water, then dump all the keys inside...... close the lid & shake it around.... let it sit for about 1/2 hour..... shake it again, then individually wipe off each key....

as for the "body" of the keyboard, I wrap a paper towel around a wet-wipe (don't apply the wet wipe directly) & clean any remnants of dust, food particles, etc. accordingly....

- monitors, I was taught to use a mixture of alcohol & water.... not tap water, but boiled water (of course you let it cool down before applying)... I have a couple old t-shirts I use as rags around the crib, so I use the less dirty ones to apply to the screen.... paper towels damage the screen (I learned that the hard way w/ my first laptop)

- inside the tower, it's good ole air in a can..... I ditched the small paintbrush method

I have the tower hang upside down b/w two tables (acting like a "bridge" b/w the tables, so to speak) & just spray away...... only problem w/ this is, all the dust falls on you...

----------------------------------

as far the laptop keyboard, I actually have saran wrap around the keys... it's a practice I continued w/ from my first laptop....

LOL... I do the same thing w/keyboards... I take them apart and clean them up with a soapy paper towel and then dry them with a slightly moist Bounty and that does the trick. The keyboard on the inside I just use a slightly soapy/moist Bounty paper towel and that does the trick once I dry it with a paper towel.

As for the monitor I find that using Bounty for my office monitor works fine. I actually use a little soapy Bounty and wipe it and then moisten another Bounty paper towel and dry it and it works like a charm and no scratches either, but I wouldn't use any other paper towel on it. For this laptop however, I don't think paper towel is a good idea, even Bounty because the screen is one of those glossy screens as opposed to the flat panel in my office which has that sort of film on the screen.

I bought these nice little cloths from this laptop store up in Seattle and they specialize in all sorts of laptop accessories that are 100% Made in USA, which is hard to find these days. :( I got my laptop bag from there too and it very reasonably priced and 100% American made. My only problem with these cloths are that they leave sort of like a residue or rather you can see where the screen was wiped. I'm trying to figure how I can clean this laptop screen so that no residue is left behind and it doesn't look like it was cleaned. I used paper towels on my old Fujitsu too and yeah I agree, with the scratches on the glossy screen, BUT it didn't leave any residue and the screen would be perfectly spotless, so there is my dilemma... :(

For laptop screens, I like to remove the bezel and clean with a barely damp rag or napkin. Tissues are too fibrous and will leave marks all over the place. Drying the screen immediately after wiping is key to avoiding water spots.

The insides of my desktop I clean out with an air compressor...my 130psi shop pump, to be specific. Suspending the PC with the open end down and aiming the airgun into it will loosen up everything and allow gravity to take over. Take specific care to clean the fans out and make sure that they are spinning freely (and that they aren't stuck or gummed-up.)

In all of my laptops, every few months I like to disassemble the fan/heatsink and clean it out. Laptops tend to get dustier due to the fact that they're on your lap, in your bag, left on the floor...you get the point.

Keyboards...I take them apart and remove each key and clean them all with a toothbrush. Yes, i'm serious about a clean keyboard.

I tried taking the keys apart on my old keyboard and the cleaning solution got into a few cracks and it wrecked parts of the keyboard. My right arrow would make a dash and move my cursor down a line. The 3 and 9 on the number pad did not work. It finally succumbed a year later.

If I was technically skilled enough to take my laptop apart to clean it, I would.

Suspending the PC with the open end down and aiming the airgun into it will loosen up everything and allow gravity to take over.

....which is why I don't leave everything in while doing it.

what I will say though is, leaving it right-side up (or sideways) does nothin more than circulate dust within the tower itself...

Anyway, w/ me, the drives come out... power supply, out... individual cards (especially), out.... cables, out, the fan is the first thing I disassemble.... only thing left in is the mobo... with most of the dust blown out, then & only then do I take out the heatsink & start to clean off the cpu.....

-------

What a lot of ppl. may not realize is that, the front panel also hoards a lot of dust....

it's the last place that's usually checked....

I tried taking the keys apart on my old keyboard and the cleaning solution got into a few cracks and it wrecked parts of the keyboard. My right arrow would make a dash and move my cursor down a line. The 3 and 9 on the number pad did not work. It finally succumbed a year later.

If I was technically skilled enough to take my laptop apart to clean it, I would.

The keyboards I can do myself... You just have to be careful w/certain keys, like the space key, enter key, tab key, backspace key, etc., because those you can break and you can't use too much liquid. You don't even need a cleaning solution. Damp a Bounty paper towel into some soapy water then make sure that the paper towel isn't dripping water and just wipe where needed once all of the keys are out, but the key thing is to ensure that the paper towel is only damp and not dripping with water.

Keyboards for me - I use suran wrap over them. That way I know nothing is getting into the gaps and I don't need to worry about dirt and stuff getting in. Much easier than to pry off each and every key.

LOL... I've resorted to that with my new laptop... I haven't gotten around yet to ordering a keyboard cover that's specific to this laptop yet, so for now I use the plastic wrap. Just changed it yesterday. :cool:

Keyboards for me - I use suran wrap over them. That way I know nothing is getting into the gaps and I don't need to worry about dirt and stuff getting in. Much easier than to pry off each and every key.

LOL... I've resorted to that with my new laptop... I haven't gotten around yet to ordering a keyboard cover that's specific to this laptop yet, so for now I use the plastic wrap. Just changed it yesterday. :cool:

(on your) desktop or laptop?

AFAIC, it's too much of a hassle to try to saran wrap around each key on a desktop keyboard (since the keys protrude more)... on a laptop it's easier b/c all you have to do is wrap it around the keyboard "half" of the laptop itself.....

AFAIC, it's too much of a hassle to try to saran wrap around each key on a desktop keyboard (since the keys protrude more)... on a laptop it's easier b/c all you have to do is wrap it around the keyboard "half" of the laptop itself.....

AFAIC, it's too much of a hassle to try to utilize saran wrap around each key on a desktop keyboard (since the keys protrude more)... on a laptop it's easier b/c all you have to do is wrap it around the keyboard "half" of the laptop itself.....

I just use Scotch tape here and there to keep it in place though because it doesn't stay in place all that well IMO.

AFAIC, it's too much of a hassle to try to utilize saran wrap around each key on a desktop keyboard (since the keys protrude more)... on a laptop it's easier b/c all you have to do is wrap it around the keyboard "half" of the laptop itself.....

I just use Scotch tape here and there to keep it in place though because it doesn't stay in place all that well IMO.

I use scotch tape as well. WHen the adhesive starts to go, I just stick on another tape next to it to hold it in place. I generally don't want to go thru the hassle of replacing the wrap until at least 3-4 months.

Actually, it's not quite as big a hassle for the keyboard [usb port plugged into the laptop - since i got tired of the laptop keys]. I 'tuck' the wrap over the row of keys to ensure I have enough space when typing. this way it won't tug on the tape on the edges when pressing on a number of keys at once.

Since this is an 'ergonomic' keyboard [split in half], I had to use a bunch of smaller wraps, but in the end i covered all the keys and have no problems typing on it.

[i guess I'll have to post a pic of my 'wrap job', but that can be forever since I'm so backed up on my picture editing. I got stuff from August that I haven't finished yet and I don't have much free time now.]

For my laptop, covering it was very strait forward since all the keys are flat and in a rectangle layout.

I use scotch tape as well. WHen the adhesive starts to go, I just stick on another tape next to it to hold it in place. I generally don't want to go thru the hassle of replacing the wrap until at least 3-4 months.

Actually, it's not quite as big a hassle for the keyboard [usb port plugged into the laptop - since i got tired of the laptop keys]. I 'tuck' the wrap over the row of keys to ensure I have enough space when typing. this way it won't tug on the tape on the edges when pressing on a number of keys at once.

Since this is an 'ergonomic' keyboard [split in half], I had to use a bunch of smaller wraps, but in the end i covered all the keys and have no problems typing on it.

[i guess I'll have to post a pic of my 'wrap job', but that can be forever since I'm so backed up on my picture editing. I got stuff from August that I haven't finished yet and I don't have much free time now.]

For my laptop, covering it was very strait forward since all the keys are flat and in a rectangle layout.

Archived