Occupy Wall Street Statistics - Why They're Upset and Why EVERYONE in America Ought to Be Too

SubwayGuy

I mean at the age of 30 many folks haven't accomplished what I have or seen or experienced what I have and for that I am very fortunate. I don't care about what the next guy makes so long as I get what I need to make and that's my point. I mean I'm happy having my expensive lunches and dinners out at a $100.00 a pop or whatever and as long as I can travel, eat well and do the things that I want to do, that's good enough for me.

You know Via if everyone was more like you we would live and a sad and more depressing place.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What the deuce?? What exactly are you trying to say??? :confused::confused:

I understand your doing Well, Great, am happy am for you, am glad you get to live the american Dream, but for others is american nightmare with no hope of having a better future them self's or there family's, even if they work hard it's still not enough, your are saying I don't care about what the next guy makes is just ignorant, I want the next guy have better pay so they can keep up with the cost of living and have a better life so they can spent there money witch helps the economy.

Am glad that you are doing that, going to out eating expensive lunches and dinners, that helping the local economy, I hope you tip your waiters. but others can't afford it.

But a little advice, try make your own lunch and dinner at home 2 or 3 time a week so you can save your money just in case if you do lose your Job or a tragedy may happen,travel bills or when the time comes, tax day.B)

What the deuce?? What exactly are you trying to say??? :confused::confused:

I understand your doing Well, Great, am happy am for you, am glad you get to live the american Dream, but for others is american nightmare with no hope of having a better future them self's or there family's, even if they work hard it's still not enough, your are saying I don't care about what the next guy makes is just ignorant, I want the next guy have better pay so they can keep up with the cost of living and have a better life so they can spent there money witch helps the economy.

Am glad that you are doing that, going to out eating expensive lunches and dinners, that helping the local economy, I hope you tip your waiters. but others can't afford it.

But a little advice, try make your own lunch and dinner at home 2 or 3 time a week so you can save your money just in case if you do lose your Job or a tragedy may happen,travel bills or when the time comes, tax day.B)

Oh please... I don't need a lecture on how to spend my money. I'm not the one who has been living beyond their means for years. I take public transportation and don't own a car, which saves me a good $600 - 800 a month right there so that I can splurge on other luxuries, so I don't need you to tell me how to manage my money. Oh and I also do cook at home when I choose to do so, which I think I'm entitled to choose for myself. You're 24? Well at your age I had two jobs so that I could live financially the way that I wanted to. I've always worked for what I wanted and never looked for handouts and I am certainly entitled to eat out as many times a week as I so choose, especially since you're not paying for it.

This is exactly what I'm talking about. Our society is obsessed with telling people how they should live and spend their money. Meanwhile you're so busy giving me advice... I hope your financial house is in order. I doubt that your credit is as good as mine, which is clearly a sign of someone that knows how to manage their finances.

Everybody is so concerned with the rich and upper middle class and how they spend their money and meanwhile these same people can't even manage their own money. Please. What a joke. ;) The rich didn't force folks to take out loans for mortgages that they couldn't afford.

I can eat a $100.00 lunch or a $12.00 and be satisfied just the same, so please. I don't need to be told how to spend my money. Worry about yourself.

Oh please... I don't need a lecture on how to spend my money. I'm not the one who has been living beyond their means for years. I take public transportation and don't own a car, which saves me a good $600 - 800 a month right there so that I can splurge on other luxuries, so I don't need you to tell me how to manage my money. Oh and I also do cook at home when I choose to do so, which I think I'm entitled to choose for myself. You're 24? Well at your age I had two jobs so that I could live financially the way that I wanted to. I've always worked for what I wanted and never looked for handouts and I am certainly entitled to eat out as many times a week as I so choose, especially since you're not paying for it.

This is exactly what I'm talking about. Our society is obsessed with telling people how they should live and spend their money. Meanwhile you're so busy giving me advice... I hope your financial house is in order. I doubt that your credit is as good as mine, which is clearly a sign of someone that knows how to manage their finances.

Everybody is so concerned with the rich and upper middle class and how they spend their money and meanwhile these same people can't even manage their own money. Please. What a joke. ;) The rich didn't force folks to take out loans for mortgages that they couldn't afford.

I can eat a $100.00 lunch or a $12.00 and be satisfied just the same, so please. I don't need to be told how to spend my money. Worry about yourself.

True and it's unfortunate, but demonizing the rich won't solve this problem entirely.

It's not about demonizing the rich, it's about beating down the doors and walls and windows of government until government does the responsible thing and provides clear tax penalties to corporations for using a plutocratic pay scale and outsourcing production jobs, and clear tax advantages to companies that pay employees fairly based on their value to the organization and maintain production here in the US.

It's also about deficit reduction, and those that are so greedy as to keep for themselves rather than pay their workers slightly more and take a cut SHOULD be taxed because their failure to pay their workers slightly more (combined with increasing production in this country) is what is holding this country back economically and forcing so much of lifestyle to be financed by debt (when speaking about the general public).

Hey well you're just not in the right position yet I guess because folks that deal with hedge funds usually earn alright. Those are the type of folks I see in La Fonda del Sol there in Grand Central in their European suits and such drinking $12.00 glasses of wine and such, which I do as well. :cool:

You're right...I'm not where I want to end up but I have a plan to get there and it's actually reasonable in light of the current economy. I can blow $100 on a meal too, if I'd like, though most times I'd prefer not to. But it's not because I'm "rich" it's because I manage my money well, and when I want something I save for it. I believe in living debt free with the exception of a fixed rate home mortgage (maybe someday, the market sucks now), or a car loan, and the possible exception of a student loan if I ever have kids and college is still a decent investment in the future (it's the next bubble so it may well not be by then).

However the folks I am bashing on here are the ones who overwork their employees, and have 10 people doing the work of 15, who freeze their pay the second something goes wrong and continue to compensate themselves richly, and buy five figure bottles of Macallan for them and their backslapping friends at so called "business" meetings so that the expense is tax deductible.

Well when I said 70 - 80k I didn't mean sharing or living a shoe box either.

Nor did I when I countered. A one bedroom apartment on the UES runs, generally speaking, $1,800 to $2,700 a month depending on location, doorman, building amenities, etc. Someone making $40,000 in a year could conceivably afford the cheaper end of that scale, provided they were willing to make other sacrifices and managed their money well.

LOL I mean I'm probably going to get a large studio with an alcove, or a 1 bedroom apartment when I move to Riverdale, as I know that I'll be looking at $1,100 to $1,200.00 a month in rent, but I'm not spending more than that because I need to save to buy an apt and I refuse to pay someone else's rent. :mad: However, I don't want to live in some claustrophobic shoe box called an apartment either. I mean I had a one bedroom apartment in Florence when I lived in Italy and I had plenty of room and I was paying about $1,400.00 a month in rent for that place.

If that's the case, Riverdale's a good place to go.

Yeah well you know something... My salary has actually gone up the last few years although last year was a down year because of the recession in that my bonus was smaller, but I still earned slightly more than the previous year oddly enough because I had received a raise earlier on.

That's good but remember many people have not. One of the biggest issues with corporate pay structure is that people ought to be compensated based on their value to the organization. Is a CEO really worth 300-500 employees? Can the CEO do that amount of work? Does the CEO directly generate that much income for the business? If the answer (which it is), is no, then the CEO is overpaid. And every dollar that overpayment for the CEO creates and income disparity that only grows over time, and sucks the purchasing power out of America, and gradually hollows out the economy until it is a simple shell - which is what banking and financial services have become...an exercise in making paper profits out of nowhere because there aren't many real profits to be had out there. But every so often people overextend to get there, and that's when the house of cards collapses. And it just happens over, and over, and over...every few years a new crash, until we either bite it with a big one and nothing ever comes back...or we just get so worn out by the up and down we fail to notice the value of our dollars slowly getting eaten away over the long haul.

And that's bad economics.

True and it's unfortunate, but demonizing the rich won't solve this problem entirely.

It's not about demonizing the rich, it's about beating down the doors and walls and windows of government until government does the responsible thing and provides clear tax penalties to corporations for using a plutocratic pay scale and outsourcing production jobs, and clear tax advantages to companies that pay employees fairly based on their value to the organization and maintain production here in the US.

It's also about deficit reduction, and those that are so greedy as to keep for themselves rather than pay their workers slightly more and take a cut SHOULD be taxed because their failure to pay their workers slightly more (combined with increasing production in this country) is what is holding this country back economically and forcing so much of lifestyle to be financed by debt (when speaking about the general public).

Hey well you're just not in the right position yet I guess because folks that deal with hedge funds usually earn alright. Those are the type of folks I see in La Fonda del Sol there in Grand Central in their European suits and such drinking $12.00 glasses of wine and such, which I do as well. :cool:

You're right...I'm not where I want to end up but I have a plan to get there and it's actually reasonable in light of the current economy. I can blow $100 on a meal too, if I'd like, though most times I'd prefer not to. But it's not because I'm "rich" it's because I manage my money well, and when I want something I save for it. I believe in living debt free with the exception of a fixed rate home mortgage (maybe someday, the market sucks now), or a car loan, and the possible exception of a student loan if I ever have kids and college is still a decent investment in the future (it's the next bubble so it may well not be by then).

However the folks I am bashing on here are the ones who overwork their employees, and have 10 people doing the work of 15, who freeze their pay the second something goes wrong and continue to compensate themselves richly, and buy five figure bottles of Macallan for them and their backslapping friends at so called "business" meetings so that the expense is tax deductible.

Well when I said 70 - 80k I didn't mean sharing or living a shoe box either.

Nor did I when I countered. A one bedroom apartment on the UES runs, generally speaking, $1,800 to $2,700 a month depending on location, doorman, building amenities, etc. Someone making $40,000 in a year could conceivably afford the cheaper end of that scale, provided they were willing to make other sacrifices and managed their money well.

LOL I mean I'm probably going to get a large studio with an alcove, or a 1 bedroom apartment when I move to Riverdale, as I know that I'll be looking at $1,100 to $1,200.00 a month in rent, but I'm not spending more than that because I need to save to buy an apt and I refuse to pay someone else's rent. :mad: However, I don't want to live in some claustrophobic shoe box called an apartment either. I mean I had a one bedroom apartment in Florence when I lived in Italy and I had plenty of room and I was paying about $1,400.00 a month in rent for that place.

If that's the case, Riverdale's a good place to go.

Yeah well you know something... My salary has actually gone up the last few years although last year was a down year because of the recession in that my bonus was smaller, but I still earned slightly more than the previous year oddly enough because I had received a raise earlier on.

That's good but remember many people have not. One of the biggest issues with corporate pay structure is that people ought to be compensated based on their value to the organization. Is a CEO really worth 300-500 employees? Can the CEO do that amount of work? Does the CEO directly generate that much income for the business? If the answer (which it is), is no, then the CEO is overpaid. And every dollar that overpayment for the CEO creates and income disparity that only grows over time, and sucks the purchasing power out of America, and gradually hollows out the economy until it is a simple shell - which is what banking and financial services have become...an exercise in making paper profits out of nowhere because there aren't many real profits to be had out there. But every so often people overextend to get there, and that's when the house of cards collapses. And it just happens over, and over, and over...every few years a new crash, until we either bite it with a big one and nothing ever comes back...or we just get so worn out by the up and down we fail to notice the value of our dollars slowly getting eaten away over the long haul.

And that's bad economics.

He am glad that you work hard for it but there is no shame to accept help,I was on public assistants before I was a doorman, now live good not perfect put good to pay the bills,rant and food and still help family and friends.

If everyone had a decent wages and more Jobs to offer to college students and average people in this country we wouldn't be talking about how the rich make now would we. and credit no, I take cash B)

Am just try to help, if you know how to manage your finances, Awesome.

but As I said before there is nothing wrong with accenting help, but that up to you if you don't want to.

He am glad that you work hard for it but there is no shame to accept help,I was on public assistants before I was a doorman, now live good not perfect put good to pay the bills,rant and food and still help family and friends.

If everyone had a decent wages and more Jobs to offer to college students and average people in this country we wouldn't be talking about how the rich make now would we. and credit no, I take cash B)

Am just try to help, if you know how to manage your finances, Awesome.

but As I said before there is nothing wrong with accenting help, but that up to you if you don't want to.

Yeah well I live by that principle also. The only real debt that I have is my student loans and the smaller one will be paid off by early next year. With the interest rates that I have on those (locked in at 2%) there is no need to run and pay them off when I can make money off of my money investing and doing other things to generate more income for me at a higher interest rate, so not all debt is bad, but yes I get your point. Debt free is a nice feeling.

As for the eating out thing, well it's all about choices. I live in the suburbs and don't drive and those two things right there allow me to afford luxuries that others can't afford. Even with all of the cabs that I take, it is still far cheaper than owning a car and it also gives me more flexibility. One less headache to worry about. A colleague of mine lives in Yorkville and she is always complaining about her rent going up every year and I think to myself well hey, you want to live in Yorkville so that's a sacrifice that you make. Meanwhile I live in the suburbs and my expenses are far lower. It's not always about how much you earn but how much your expenses are. Quite frankly, I really have no desire to live in the city. I'm in the city just about everyday anyway, and I prefer suburban living more. No annoying tourists to deal with and I can feel like I'm in an actual neighborhood. I don't get that feeling in the city, even in the more residential neighborhoods. Hanging out in the city is fine, but I could never live there, even if it was the Upper East Side.

I suppose they could, but I think would be pretty dumb to do so. I mean the general rule is that your rent/mortgage should be about a 3rd of your gross salary. In my case my rent is well below a third of my gross salary. :cool:

Yeah well I live by that principle also. The only real debt that I have is my student loans and the smaller one will be paid off by early next year. With the interest rates that I have on those (locked in at 2%) there is no need to run and pay them off when I can make money off of my money investing and doing other things to generate more income for me at a higher interest rate, so not all debt is bad, but yes I get your point. Debt free is a nice feeling.

As for the eating out thing, well it's all about choices. I live in the suburbs and don't drive and those two things right there allow me to afford luxuries that others can't afford. Even with all of the cabs that I take, it is still far cheaper than owning a car and it also gives me more flexibility. One less headache to worry about. A colleague of mine lives in Yorkville and she is always complaining about her rent going up every year and I think to myself well hey, you want to live in Yorkville so that's a sacrifice that you make. Meanwhile I live in the suburbs and my expenses are far lower. It's not always about how much you earn but how much your expenses are. Quite frankly, I really have no desire to live in the city. I'm in the city just about everyday anyway, and I prefer suburban living more. No annoying tourists to deal with and I can feel like I'm in an actual neighborhood. I don't get that feeling in the city, even in the more residential neighborhoods. Hanging out in the city is fine, but I could never live there, even if it was the Upper East Side.

I suppose they could, but I think would be pretty dumb to do so. I mean the general rule is that your rent/mortgage should be about a 3rd of your gross salary. In my case my rent is well below a third of my gross salary. :cool:

Two jobs... Almost everyone I knew at Walmart worked a second job, even our assistant manager, who did a part-time nurse gig...

Lol when even your assistant managers complain about their pay there's something really, really, really wrong

Yeah, but that was by choice. Even now I still look for part-time work here and there (though of late of I haven't done any part-time work in over a year) not because I need it but because I enjoy earning money. That second part-time paid quite nicely. I taught on the side and earned $25/hr for each class that I taught (2 hour sessions) and I usually had two classes a week which were usually small groups (usually one Spanish group and one Italian group), so that was $400.00 a month from that minimum and I still got paid if the class was cancelled. I also did office work and usually worked about 6 - 8 hours a week max. and that paid about $600.00 a month, so that gave me a $1000.00 a month to play with at the age of 24. Sometimes I didn't even have to do anything in the office, but I always got my $600.00 a month. :cool: And believe me it was nothing difficult either. Just had to be there in the office to set up everything and afterwards I would play music and browse the internet and relax. :cool:

Yeah, but that was by choice. Even now I still look for part-time work here and there (though of late of I haven't done any part-time work in over a year) not because I need it but because I enjoy earning money. That second part-time paid quite nicely. I taught on the side and earned $25/hr for each class that I taught (2 hour sessions) and I usually had two classes a week which were usually small groups (usually one Spanish group and one Italian group), so that was $400.00 a month from that minimum and I still got paid if the class was cancelled. I also did office work and usually worked about 6 - 8 hours a week max. and that paid about $600.00 a month, so that gave me a $1000.00 a month to play with at the age of 24. Sometimes I didn't even have to do anything in the office, but I always got my $600.00 a month. :cool: And believe me it was nothing difficult either. Just had to be there in the office to set up everything and afterwards I would play music and browse the internet and relax. :cool:

Just wondering if you paid taxes on that side money or not.

Two jobs... Almost everyone I knew at Walmart worked a second job, even our assistant manager, who did a part-time nurse gig...

Lol when even your assistant managers complain about their pay there's something really, really, really wrong

True. With that said, many Wal-Mart stores across America are having 'waiting lists' for any type of jobs.:eek:

Like I've said before, national governments are unable to realistically tax major corporations because they'll just find haven elsewhere in a nation with different tax laws. I'm sure China would welcome Walmart's headquarters with open arms.

Like I've said before, national governments are unable to realistically tax major corporations because they'll just find haven elsewhere in a nation with different tax laws. I'm sure China would welcome Walmart's headquarters with open arms.

They would still have to pay U.S taxes even though there company is overseas,but that doesn't matter cause there are loop holes in there two.

Not with that recent pork incident Walmart had over there

Since when is it a crime to make more money than other people?

And what exactly do these protestors want? Do they want the government to tax the rich more and give these poor people who are doing nothing all day but lying down in a park free money?

It's not the rich people's fault for them deciding to get a degree in history or literature or whatever other worthless thing they chose. And how about instead of parking their lazy asses in a park all day and night, they go out and actually make an effort to find a job? If they're this desperate then I'm sure that there's a McDonalds or Burger King somewhere in the tri-state area that will hire them, even if it does mean minimum wage.

They're mad that there are people making more money than they can even fathom so they want the government to take their money and redistribute that to the poor. Oh wait, what was the name for that again? Oh yeah, socialism. They want to completely destroy the foundations of this country which is based on capitalism, and the American Dream, and change it into a socialistic nation because they're throwing a tantrum about how people are making millions while they're too lazy to even go out and apply some effort.

Archived