2011-'12 MLB hot stove and off season thread

Shortline Bus

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not really surprising about the Houston move, but I still think that it is a mistake to have two Texas teams in the same league, let alone, the same division. They could've moved the Rockies or Padres instead as those have no major 'rivalries' and then they could've moved Houston to the NL West.

As I said before: I hate Interleague, but Interleague every day for everyone is fair as everyone will have to play each team at least once [hopefully] and that's fine by me. Still not thrilled about the longer playoff format.

Also was reading the blogs of the Houston papers. About 60-70% of Astros fans who commented on their poll/blog strongly opposed the shift. A few even said they would no longer watch MLB.

Being fair after finishing the '11 season with 106 losses the worst season in the team 50-year history, their fanbase is in bottom 1/3 of all of MLB.

I agree that either the D'Back's, Rockies(my personal choice) or Padres could have shifted to the AL.

And to Kamen. 20th Century MLB where the american and national league did not play each other other than the world series 'died' in June 1997 when interleague started or when the Brewers went to the NL. MLB is basically now IMO almost the same as the NFL where the former two rival leagues are now basically conferences of the American and National Divisions.

I don't hear any complaints when the Seahawks a decade ago went from the AFC to the NFC in the NFL. Or after the AFL merger in 1970, that the Browns, Steelers and Colts (then in Baltimore) switched to the AFC.

A bigger change IMOmmore than realignment and the Astros is the addition of 2 more wild card spots.(one in each league)

In both the AL and NL the 2 wild cards will now be facing each other before the playoffs in a 1-game play-in game. Hopefully now we can settle the DH issue once and for as well. So in a nutshell MLB will survive.

If MLB could've contracted 2 teams, there wouldn't even be a need for every day interleague or the shift of the Astros to the AL.

I understand the point of the 2nd WC team, but this year showed that all that 'historics/hysterics' would never have happened if the teams fighting for that final spot knew they had a do or die 1-game match. Plus Why should weaker divisions get a pass when WC winners may have already had hurdles of their own? THat's why they would be better off making 2 divisions [split the Central to the east or west] and then they can have their 2 WC teams.

This MLB hot stove update is presented by McDonald's. Well according to several sources the 'new leader at the clubhouse' to be the next Red Sox Skipper, the last managerial opening for the 2012 season is Bobby Valentine?:confused::eek:

Most of you know already know Valentine not only as an MLB analyst for ESPN,

but also former skipper of the Rangers and Mets. So to the MLB fans out there what you think of Bobby V. taking over as the leader of "Red Sox Nation?:eek:

If Boston needs a manager, they need one that will light a fire on those players. Francona's too laid back, which was good for when he was hired (in 2004). Nowadays, these Sox need a no-nonsense guy, like Larry Bowa.

Welcome back Lenin. So what your reaction to MLB realignment in 2013 with the Astros going to the AL West? and a new 1-game 'wild card' play-in game?

Ha, you wish. I want Francona to the Mets. Screw Collins!

Yes Francona is one of the best skippers in all of MLB and if he wants it will get a job no later than start of 2013 season.

With that said, unless i been a sleeping beauty, I don't think the 2012 Mets whether they have Reyes or not have the 'ready made' lineup the 2004 Red Sox had. You know '2' future HOF starters in Pedro and Schilling on your staff.

Plus '1' Should be Hall of Famer Offensive star in Manny(not sure he getting due to his suspected PED's involvement)headling on your team that ends up winning the world series helps alot. Don't think your Mets have any player close to those '3' mentioned great players right now.:eek::(

Ha, you wish. I want Francona to the Mets. Screw Collins!

I'd prefer keeping Collins with the Mets since he's a no-nonsense guy, something the many young players the Mets have need. Besides, he actually calls the big stars out (I'm looking at you Jose Reyes).

And the winner of the 2011 American League MVP is?:eek::confused:

Justin Vanlander. The Tiger superstar ace makes history as the first starter to win an MVP since Roger Clemens in 1986. As i state MLB needs to have a new award for offensive player of the year.(batters only) This would just like say the NBA or NHL who both have post season awards for players who led their league in scoring for instance. MVP should allowed to anyone who helped their make the playoffs or have a good season.

With that said, IMO Vanlander desevred it. Without him, the Tigers don't even win 75 games. So yes on occasion, a starting pitcher should win a MVP. Great few days for Valander who also won just the Cy Young award.

This is how I think of it. The position player plays for almost the entire season. The (starting) pitcher plays only 25 to 35 games a year. The position player has more chances (in 162 games) to help the team or screw up . The pitcher only has those 25 to 25 games to help or screw the team. So looking at it from this perspective, the pitcher is more valuable to the team.

This is how I think of it. The position player plays for almost the entire season. The (starting) pitcher plays only 25 to 35 games a year. The position player has more chances (in 162 games) to help the team or screw up . The pitcher only has those 25 to 25 games to help or screw the team. So looking at it from this perspective, the pitcher is more valuable to the team.

I think the mvp system does not need to change. Just create a player of the year for position players/closers only. IMO Bautista and or Ellssbury should be rewarded something with an Offensive player of the year in the AL. Vanlander was the MVP (most valuable player) as without him even pitching in only say 35 games, his starts made a difference between the Tigers making the playoffs or finishing at .500 with only 81 wins.

2011 NL MVP is Ryan Braun

As the 'new' 21st Century Robin Yount aka "Mr. Brewer" Braun had a great year and was IMO a good pick. The Dodgers Mr. Kemp could have also been picked and you still look good. Again this is why MLB needs to create a "player of the year' award in which Mr. Kemp nearly winning the offensive "Triple Crown" should be POY and Mr. Braun as MVP.

As the 'new' 21st Century Robin Yount aka "Mr. Brewer" Braun had a great year and was IMO a good pick. The Dodgers Mr. Kemp could have also been picked and you still look good. Again this is why MLB needs to create a "player of the year' award in which Mr. Kemp nearly winning the offensive "Triple Crown" should be POY and Mr. Braun as MVP.

I was watching Clubhouse Confidential on MLBN and Brian Kenny mentioned about a different award. The MOP or Most Offensive Player should be awarded to the best offensive player if their team did not make the playoffs. Then again I don't know much about that Hank Aaron award either. Ryan Braun definitely deserved the award though I thought Rihanna's ex was going to win it.

I was watching Clubhouse Confidential on MLBN and Brian Kenny mentioned about a different award. The MOP or Most Offensive Player should be awarded to the best offensive player if their team did not make the playoffs. Then again I don't know much about that Hank Aaron award either. Ryan Braun definitely deserved the award though I thought Rihanna's ex was going to win it.

Actually (no joke!:P) I worked with Brain Kenny as an Intern in the late 1990's at WRNN-TV Regional News Network when he was the station's lead sportscaster.:cool:

I agree with Kenny and whoever suggeted it. It should be made to the best offensive of any team playoff or not. The NFL and even NHL has awards for offensive and defensive players and Goalie(Hockey only)of the year in addition to MVP. So why not MLB have a player of the year aka offensive player of the year? Call it the Hank Aaron if anyone likes. That way players like Bautista, Elsbury or Kemp can get rewarded.

Plus since we going to Interleague all season long in 2013, i think all of the post season awards should for all of MLB.

Rookie of the Year

Manager of the Year

Cy Young

MVP

Player of The Year

Relief Pitcher of the Year

And allow broadcasters to vote as well since many towns in MLB only have '1' newspaper in that city.

Now it's seems to be a done deal. ESPN, the Boston Globe and other media sources stated that last night (Tuesday 11/29/11)the Red Sox and Bobby Valentine have agreed to terms on the former Mets skipper to be the team's next manager.:eek:

Red Sox select Bobby Valentine as manager - Extra Bases - Red Sox blog

Meanwhile a couple of days ago, the Toronto Blue Jays announced a logo/uniform change with designs smilar to their 'oringal era' from 1977-appx. 1996 in which they won '2' world series.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LP_R92MGwWQ&feature=related

Now with Mr. Valentine now offically manager in red sox nation, the winter meetings in Dallas will start shortly. Most recent rumors has Fielder going to Cubs and "King Albert' going to the Fish or maybe resiging in St Louis.

Any "A" or "B" list free agent should the Yanks, Mets or your local team go after?

Burhele is the only one worth looking at. No damn way I'm paying CJ Wilson $40 million more then what Burnett gets.

Also, the Yankees really should look into the trade market for an ace.. Burhele is a number 3 starter in the ALE.

Agree 100% buddy. Burhele if the Yanks sign him might even be a #2 starter. Remember he a very good (he picthed a perfect game a couple of years back)that could be an ace but he injury prone.

The Red Sox really also could use Burhele and would insantly at least #2 starter as well.

Wilson benefited from pitching for probably the most explosive offensive team in MLB last season. Not sure he a NY or big market i.e Boston, Philly or LA type of guy.

Archived