2011-'12 MLB hot stove and off season thread

Shortline Bus

BREAKING NEWS:

Miami Marlins and Jose Reyes agree to a 6 year, $106 million deal

Marlins reportedly reach deal with free-agent shortstop Jose Reyes | MLB.com: News

Marlins reportedly reach deal with Reyes

By Joe Frisaro / MLB.com | 12/04/11 9:40 PM EST

DALLAS -- Marlins officials are expected to arrive at the Winter Meetings on Monday afternoon. By the time the club exits Dallas on Thursday, it would like to have locked up a deal to bring All-Star Jose Reyes to Miami.

ESPN's Buster Olney reported Sunday that Reyes and the Marlins have agreed to a contract. FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal reported that the deal is worth $106 million over six years.

Mets general manager Sandy Alderson said Sunday that if the reported contract terms are correct, New York would not match the offer.

The Brewers are also courting the 28-year-old free agent, and they present real competition for the Marlins. The Mets also are expected to talk with Reyes' representatives at the Winter Meetings in hopes of retaining him.

Reyes became the first Mets player to win the batting title, coming off his .337 season with a .384 on-base percentage.

If the Marlins are able to sign Reyes, they would move Hanley Ramirez to third base.

Along with Reyes, the Marlins are actively coveting starting pitching. Mark Buehrle is a high priority, but the veteran left-hander is seeking a no-trade clause, which is something the Marlins don't generally do. That could hold up a possible deal.

As for C.J. Wilson, the Marlins are making an aggressive push. Money isn't believed to be an issue; it is a matter of if the lefty wants to leave Texas for Miami.

The Marlins are also expected to announce the signing of former Padres closer Heath Bell on Monday.

I wish Jose Reyes the best with the Marlins. His time with New York will not be forgotten.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They were gonna eventually get rid of him though.... probably more of a salary dump than anything...

The Marlins of all teams though ???

Then again, that franchise is makin a serious push w/ these signings in tryin to become a little more competitive.... Well that, and tryin to draw more fans than crickets to their new ballpark out in Miami......

Not really that surprised. I figured the Mets were too scared of his injury history to go more than 4-5 years. I just hope they can get someone to justify people showing up while the team stays around 3rd place.

At least the Fish did not go nuts and top the Crawford contract he got with the Red Sox. Sure like almost everyone in MLB or pro sports, he overpaid. With that signing Reyes *when healthy* is a top 10 player in all of baseball.

The injury issue is a big concern. Reyes is a huge upgrade but they still could use a slugger and a good #1 or #2 starter to become at least a possible wild card contender. Prince Fielder and Mr. Albert I am sure are now listening.:eek:

The Mets have signed RHPs Frank Francisco and Jon Rauch, and have traded CF Angel Pagan to the Giants for OF Andres Torres and RHP Ramon Ramirez.

Mets revamp 'pen with two signings, SF trade

Amazin's ink Rauch, Francisco, deal Pagan for Torres, Ramirez

By Anthony DiComo / MLB.com | 12/06/11 11:22 PM EST

DALLAS -- In a stunning succession of rapid-fire moves, the Mets fortified their bullpen Tuesday by acquiring three new relievers in the span of roughly one hour. The Mets have signed right-handers Jon Rauch and Frank Francisco to free-agent contracts and traded for right-hander Ramon Ramirez of the Giants, according to multiple people with knowledge of the situation.

The trade with San Francisco also includes a swap of outfielders Angel Pagan and Andres Torres.

The Mets have not officially confirmed any of the transactions, which are pending physicals. Rauch's deal is for one year at a reported $3.5 million; Francisco's is for two at $12 million.

With those deals in place, the Mets filled their most pressing roster need -- bullpen help -- within two days of losing free-agent shortstop Jose Reyes to the Marlins. Rauch, Francisco and Ramirez all possess varying degrees of end-game experience; when asked who will close in 2012, one Mets official said: "We're going to let the guys compete for it, for sure."

"That was one of our big goals was to rebuild the bullpen," said the official, who requested anonymity because the transactions are not yet official.

And so after blowing saves at what general manager Sandy Alderson called "a spectacular rate" down the stretch last season, the Mets now possess what they hope are three worthy solutions.

Francisco, 32, saved 17 games for the Blue Jays with a 3.55 ERA last season, striking out 53 batters and walking 18. He teamed at the back of Toronto's bullpen with Rauch, 33, with whom the Mets agreed to terms earlier Tuesday evening. The tallest player in Major League history at 6-foot-11, Rauch owns a 3.82 career ERA over nine seasons with the White Sox, Nationals, D-backs, Twins and Jays.

Ramirez, 30, will join those two in New York. He was part of a committee that subbed for Giants closer Brian Wilson down the stretch last season, amassing four saves in five chances. Since a midseason trade to the Giants in 2010, Ramirez has posted a 2.07 ERA with 81 strikeouts and 37 walks.

In sum, the three new relievers represent New York's most significant bullpen overhaul since the Mets signed Francisco Rodriguez and traded for J.J. Putz and Sean Green at the Winter Meetings in 2008.

Like that overhaul, this renovation included a swap of ancillary players, shipping Pagan west in exchange for Torres and Ramirez. As recently as Monday afternoon, both Alderson and manager Terry Collins had spoken highly of Pagan as the team's center fielder and leadoff man in 2012, despite earlier indications that the club might not even tender him a contract.

Within the organization, there was genuine concern over Pagan. One year after breaking out with a .290 average, 11 home runs and strong center field play, Pagan hit just .262 with seven home runs in 2011 while appearing to regress defensively. In trading him, the Mets will no longer be on the hook for an arbitration ruling that could have valued his services as high as $5 million.

They will, however, owe arbitration money to Torres, 33, who made $2.2 million last season, and to Ramirez, who made $1.6 million. Like Pagan, Torres struggled to match a breakout season last year, mustering a .221 average and four home runs for the Giants after his 16-homer campaign in 2010.

Regardless, Torres will almost certainly take over for Pagan both in center field and at the leadoff position, where he appeared 78 times last season. Often subbing for the injured Reyes at the top of New York's order last season, Pagan on multiple occasions expressed his desire to hit lower in the lineup.

Combined, Tuesday's moves represent something a consolation for losing Reyes, whom the Marlins inked to a six-year, $106 million contract on Sunday evening. Because the Mets never intended to sign a replacement shortstop, Alderson indicated Sunday that he was planning on allocating much of the team's resulting cash to fortifying the bullpen.

It was by far the club's most pressing concern. Despite playing their home games in one of the league's foremost pitcher-friendly parks, Mets relievers ranked 28th in the Majors with a 4.33 ERA last season, combining to blow 24 saves. Bobby Parnell in particular struggled down the stretch as he auditioned to become the team's future closer, blowing four of his final seven save opportunities. Though the Mets should still enter next season with some combination of Parnell, Tim Byrdak, D.J. Carrasco and Manny Acosta in their bullpen, they have already completely revamped the group.

Now, Alderson's focus shifts to signing an affordable starting pitcher and filling out his bench on a budget. Given the cost savings of trading Pagan, the Mets used only about half their offseason money on Tuesday's moves. They should still be able to afford a starter and several supporting players without issue.

If nothing else, the new acquisitions should help ease the emotional sting of losing Reyes, who will be at the Hilton Anatole on Wednesday for his introductory news conference with the Marlins.

And so in that sense, in the span of one frantic hour on Tuesday, the Mets began the process of moving on.

Now Miami is looking to get Prince Fielder and trade Hanley Ramirez

Now surprised it's more than likely "King" Albert will stay and finish his carrer as a redbird. I can picture Prince as a Marlin. IMO Fielder will sign with either the Fish, Cubs or Rangers. And outside shot he stays with the Brewers.

The Angels?:confused::eek: According to sources Mr. Pujols has this morning agreed in verbal with contract with the Angels.

All of sudden the Rangers now got a serious challenge from Anaheim for the AL West crown in 2012.

Not to mention CJ Wilson also is rumored to sign with the SoCal club as well.

Angels offer Albert Pujols 10 years, at least $210 million

Looks like the Angels just signed Albert Pujols, Shortline:

Pujols agrees to 10-year deal with Angels

Iconic slugger set to depart Cardinals for AL West club

By Alden Gonzalez and Matthew Leach / MLB.com | 12/08/11 10:15 AM EST

DALLAS -- The Angels have agreed to a contract with Albert Pujols, the best free agent available this offseason and arguably the greatest player of this era, sources told MLB.com on Thursday.

The deal, according to Jon Heyman of MLB Network and Ken Rosenthal of FoxSports.com, is for 10 years, includes a full no-trade clause and could reach $260 million. That would rival the record-setting 10-year, $275 million contract Alex Rodriguez signed with the Yankees in December 2007.

The Angels have not commented on or confirmed the signing. They had surprisingly surfaced in reports on Wednesday linking them to Pujols -- a former Cardinal -- for the second time in 24 hours, with a baseball source confirming to MLB.com that their intentions were indeed serious.

Pujols, a nine-time All-Star and three-time National League Most Valuable Player, weighed a 10-year offer from the Marlins earlier this week and had a counter offer to consider from the Cardinals, with whom he had spent all of his 11 Major League seasons. St. Louis' offer was for nine years and a little less than $200 million, according to a report by ESPN.com.

He turned down an offer from the Cardinals prior to Spring Training, which he had set as a deadline for negotiations, saying he would not discuss a new contract during camp or the regular season.

The first baseman, who will be 32 next month, has a career .328 average with 445 home runs. His career on-base-plus-slugging percentage is 1.037, which leads all active players, and he has led the Major Leagues in slugging and OPS three times and in runs scored five times.

Alden Gonzalez and Matthew Leach are reporters for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

If this is true, what will happen to Kendrys Morales and Mark Trumbo? I hope the Cardinals picks up one of them.

Perhaps trade bait, get some other solid, positional players.

They've also added a native Californian, LHP C.J. Wilson:

Angels land both Pujols and Wilson

Iconic slugger departs St. Louis; lefty goes home to West Coast

By Alden Gonzalez and Matthew Leach / MLB.com | 12/08/11 11:04 AM EST

DALLAS -- The Angels' huge Winter Meetings splash didn't stop with Thursday's stunning agreement with Albert Pujols. They also came to terms on a deal with free-agent left-hander C.J. Wilson.

The deal with Pujols, according to Jon Heyman of MLB Network and Ken Rosenthal of FoxSports.com, is for 10 years, includes a full no-trade clause and is worth between $250 million-$260 million. That would rival the record-setting 10-year, $275 million contract Alex Rodriguez signed with the Yankees in December 2007.

The agreement with Wilson, formerly of the Rangers, is for $77.5 million over five years, a source confirmed.

The Angels have not commented on or confirmed either agreement. They had surprisingly surfaced on Wednesday in reports linking them to Pujols for the second time in 24 hours, with a source confirming that their intentions were indeed serious.

"I can't handicap what this means for the Angels, but certainly when you end up with all the best players in the game in your division, that's not what you want," A's assistant general manager David Forst said.

Pujols, a nine-time All-Star and three-time National League Most Valuable Player, weighed a 10-year offer from the Marlins earlier this week and had a counter offer to consider from the Cardinals, with whom he had spent all of his 11 Major League seasons. St. Louis' offer was for nine years and a little less than $200 million, according to a report by ESPN.com. Other reports said it was for 10 years and $220 million.

The Marlins were very interested suitors but they backed off on Wednesday and instead signed left-hander Mark Buehrle to a four-year, $58 million contract.

Wilson's name had been attached to the Marlins, too, but when it came down to it, the Newport Beach, Calif., native decided to return to the West Coast and remain in the American League West.

After being converted from a reliever to a starter, Wilson went 31-15 with a 3.14 ERA over the past two seasons for the Rangers, who went to the World Series both years. Wilson struggled in the playoffs, however, going 1-5 with a 4.82 ERA in 10 games, nine of them starts. He pitched well in both of his World Series starts, though he took the loss in each.

"The division just got significantly better," Rangers assistant GM Thad Levine said. "A team we have tremendous respect for and has been our main competition just got better. The challenge in the American League West just got bigger. But we feel our team is up for the challenge."

Pujols turned down an offer from the Cardinals prior to Spring Training, which he had set as a deadline for negotiations, saying he would not discuss a new contract during camp or the regular season.

Cardinals officials were unavailable for comment on Thursday, the final day of the Winter Meetings.

The first baseman, who will be 32 next month, has a career .328 average with 445 home runs. His career on-base-plus-slugging percentage is 1.037, which leads all active players, and he has led the Major Leagues in slugging and OPS three times and in runs scored five times.

He hit .299 with 37 homers and 99 RBIs last season, and that was considered a down year. Previously, he had 10 straight seasons in which he hit at least .300 with at least 30 homers and 100 RBIs.

Pujols' deal with the Angels could be the second- or third-richest in Major League history. Rodriguez's first free-agent contract, a $252 million deal made with Texas in January 2001, ranks second.

The Angels will have to move some pieces around, considering they have a capable young first baseman in Mark Trumbo and a recovering one in Kendrys Morales. A multitude of options are on the table.

The Angels were negotiating with both Wilson and Pujols deep into Wednesday night. Throughout the offseason, they were expected to have between $15 million-$20 million to spend on additions. The Pujols deal, with an average annual value of at least $25 million, put them over that budget, but the team has sent a clear message that it's ready to win now.

Alden Gonzalez and Matthew Leach are reporters for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

I'm not so sure Pujols wanted to be the figurehead of a franchise in a new city (Miami Marlins)....

However, I did think he was gonna end up leaving St. Louis.....

What I will say though, Pujols to the Angels makes sense....

He won't make them an instant contender, but he does provide instant offense to a team that had a rough time scoring runs on any consistent basis...... The Angels had a bunch of base hitters, but no one really that provided that "pop", so to speak.....

I'm not so sure Pujols wanted to be the figurehead of a franchise in a new city (Miami Marlins)....

However, I did think he was gonna end up leaving St. Louis.....

What I will say though, Pujols to the Angels makes sense....

He won't make them an instant contender, but he does provide instant offense to a team that had a rough time scoring runs on any consistent basis...... The Angels had a bunch of base hitters, but no one really that provided that "pop", so to speak.....

I already have my world series pick, Angels vs Phillies. A friend of mine said Texas/Florida

I can compare this as if Jeter left the Yanks.

I lost a lot of respect for Pujols today. The Yankees didn't give what Jeter wanted, but Jeter still took his deal to stay a Yankee. Pujols didn't get what he wanted, so he bolted to LA. I was always inclined to think that Pujols would accept a hometown discount while Fielder would bolt to the AL to become someone's DH or 1B. Maybe not.

I can compare this as if Jeter left the Yanks.

I lost a lot of respect for Pujols today. The Yankees didn't give what Jeter wanted, but Jeter still took his deal to stay a Yankee. Pujols didn't get what he wanted, so he bolted to LA. I was always inclined to think that Pujols would accept a hometown discount while Fielder would bolt to the AL to become someone's DH or 1B. Maybe not.

Not to be mean but if someone offered you $250 guaranteed million dollars, I don't think you would reject it. Yes I understand that Albert is an icon in St. Louis but this was all business. I just hoped Albert at least did what Torii Hunter did before signing with the Angels, just say show me the money. I honestly thought Pujols was gonna stay as a Cardinal since he's from Missouri. Let's look at Straight edge C.J. Wilson. He took a "hometown discount" to sign with the Angels. He lives in SoCal and he left more money on the table from the Miami Marlins.

Not to be mean but if someone offered you $250 guaranteed million dollars, I don't think you would reject it. Yes I understand that Albert is an icon in St. Louis but this was all business. I just hoped Albert at least did what Torii Hunter did before signing with the Angels, just say show me the money. I honestly thought Pujols was gonna stay as a Cardinal since he's from Missouri. Let's look at Straight edge C.J. Wilson. He took a "hometown discount" to sign with the Angels. He lives in SoCal and he left more money on the table from the Miami Marlins.

Actually "Albert" is from the DR. It's just that he re-located to the St. Louis area after he became a US citizen early in his carrer.

Could not say it myself.:tup: 98% of us will take the extra $50 million.

FYI. This contract is the 2nd richest in MLB history after A-Rod.

Archived