• St Louis Car R40M
    • Budd R32/A
    • St. Louis Car R42
    • Alstom R160A
    • Kawasaki R160B
    • St. Louis Car R38
    • Pullman Standard R46
    • St. Louis Car R44

So wait, why did the R46s get the glass panels removed while the R44 retains its?

Seems just a decision made in the rebuild at the time perhaps by the rebuilding shop. The R44s have painted silver on the panel where the R46 have the paint removed.

There's difference in similar cars like the R40M/R42. The interiors of the R40s have painted walls where the R42 has metal walls.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Seems just a decision made in the rebuild at the time perhaps by the rebuilding shop. The R44s have painted silver on the panel where the R46 have the paint removed.

There's difference in similar cars like the R40M/R42. The interiors of the R40s have painted walls where the R42 has metal walls.

Also, another difference is the rollsign.

that is what makes the R40Ms better than the R42s. the metal on the R42s are dirty, broken and rusted while the painted R40M interiors seem to be in fairly good shape and the exteriors are much less rusted. in fact, i think i know why the R42s are in such bad shape. they spent nearly 20 years on the Jamaica Line, which is suseptible to graffitti and vandals, not to mention East New York does not know how to maintain their cars. the truth is some Jamaica riders have now complained the R160s over there are now in horrible shape.

The R40Ms were also at East NY after the GOH for at least 10 years before they were transferred to the Brighton Express in 2002. I remember most of them were on the Z and M.

Yes, this is confirmed thru past car assignments that can be found on TheJoeKorner's site. They were transferred when the R143s were all in place on the L. Then the slants on the L were shifted to Coney Island Yd and some of the R42s were sent to the J which displaced the Mods to Coney Is Yd.

• 3 weeks later...

The R32's are my favorite. I wish there were one or two original R32's still around. What I mean, is with the blue interior, metal straphangers and the bar in the center of the upper part of the window. R27/30's are my second favorite IND/BMT cars. The R33/36 World Fair cars are my favorite IRT cars.

this is my new best to worst list:

1. R32

2. all R160s

2. R62

3. R62A

4. R68A

5. R68

6. R143

7. R40M

8. R46

9. R142/142A

10. R40 slant

11. R38

12. R42

13. R44

Strange how your No. 8 is R46 and the last on your list is the R44. The strange thing is, they are similar cars in appearance and there are few technical differences between them.

Strange how your No. 8 is R46 and the last on your list is the R44. The strange thing is, they are similar cars in appearance and there are few technical differences between them.

there are plenty of differences between an R44 and R46, and those differences make the R46s MUCH better than the R44s. the R46s are cleaner, have a better looking car body, and do not have many of the technical problems that still plague the R44s.

i rank the R40Ms a lot higher than the R42s even though they are similar in appearances because R40Ms have a better looking interior and are much less rusted than the R42s.

i rank the R68s and R62As lower than their kawasaki counterpart because they tend to be dirtier.

there are plenty of differences between an R44 and R46, and those differences make the R46s MUCH better than the R44s. the R46s are cleaner, have a better looking car body, and do not have many of the technical problems that still plague the R44s.

i rank the R40Ms a lot higher than the R42s even though they are similar in appearances because R40Ms have a better looking interior and are much less rusted than the R42s.

i rank the R68s and R62As lower than their kawasaki counterpart because they tend to be dirtier.

Did you know that for the past four months the R44s MDBF has been higher than the R46?

Did you know that for the past four months the R44s MDBF has been higher than the R46?

i do not care about MDBF. MDBF is not everything. in fact, if i recall, the Phase II R32s had the worst of 2006. idk which one it is for this year, but it is probably the R38s or R40 slants since they are going first.

He's right. The R38s have a much higher MDBF than the R32s, R40/Ms, and R42s, but are still going to be reefed first. The R40s most definitely have the worse MDBF, never the R38s.

thanks for finally agreeing with me. just because a car has a high MDBF does not necessarily mean it is good. you have to take other factors before deciding when to retire a subway car, such as the other technical and mechanical features, the condition of the car bodies, and how the public feels about them. R38s and R40s are going first because of their deteriorating structure and lack of appreciation from riders. since i always waited for an R32/38 on the (A) and usually got the latter while it was using R32/38/44s, i actually enjoyed riding the R38s until i realized how dark and dirty they truly were when they began running exclusively on the (C). R44s make the R38s look like powerhouses.

But you gotta admit, the R38s caused the least problems among the R32-R42. If the R38s were still on the B today, they would be ten times better than those slants running there. I bet you, they would even last a lot longer. The Fulton is filled with bums that make R38s their home all the time; the R38s weren't always that dirty.

I love the R160B Seimens sets, R143's, R160A's, R142A's, R68A's, R62/A's (no preference beteween A and non-A), R32's and R46's. A weird thing with me is that while I love the R160A's, I don't really like the R160B Alstoms. There is some difference that I can't really point out that make the R160A's better in my opinion. The R68's are not my favorites, but I don't dislike them, same with R142's. R40M's and R40 slants are ok in my opinion, I have my good thoughts and bad thoughts of them, but I do not mind riding them. I really dislike R44's for their looks and heating and A/C. While I do hate the R44's... I'll admit the ride is fantastic! Another thing I like about the R44's is when they are stopping with a lot of force from a high speed, I love the way it sounds on the inside! Its like a soft scream! Thats all I will miss of them. R42's. ugh. I hate them. 2nd worst cars in the subway in my opinion. Dirty, rusty, falling apart, ugly, and graffiti ridden. R38's. Worst subway car in my opinion. Its even in worse shape than the R42's, more rusty, uglier, VERY DARK and VERY DEPRESSING INTERIORS, dirtier, louder, need i say more. If I has to give order best to worst

1)R160B Seimens

2)R143

3)R160A

4)R142A

5)R160B Alstom

6)R32

7)R46

8)R68A

9)R62/A

10)R68

11)R142

12)R40M

13)R40 Slant

14)R42

15)R38

I'd like to modify my list.

1) R160B Siemens

2) R160B Alstom/R160A

3) R143

4)R32

5) R46

6) R68/R68A

7)R40 Slant

8)R62/R62A

9)R142A

10)R40M

11) R142

12) R44

13)R42

14)R38

But you gotta admit, the R38s caused the least problems among the R32-R42. If the R38s were still on the B today, they would be ten times better than those slants running there. I bet you, they would even last a lot longer. The Fulton is filled with bums that make R38s their home all the time; the R38s weren't always that dirty.

What lines did the R38s run on in the past?

What lines did the R38s run on in the past?

R38s entered revenue service on the (F) line and mostly ran on the Culver and West End lines.

the beige floor panels is what makes the R38s suceptible to dirt and grime and the interiors are poorly light because they still have the illuminated advertisements

The MTA was stupid enough to replace the Coney Island R42s with black floors when they knew those were going down the ocean before the R38s. the black floors should've been given to the R38s instead.

i honestly do not know why the Coney Island R42s were the first cars to be reefed. they were not as rusted and did not get beaten up and vandalized with graffitti and scrachitti like their MK counterparts. i personally enjoyed riding them and always having them mix in with the R40Ms.

I think the MTA's retirement plan was first with MDBF, then condition of the cars. Remember, the first R40s, R32 Phase II, R32 GE, and CI R42s had the worse MDBF as well as some maintenance flaws.

now you know why i hate the R42s. even though a report showed the CI R42s did have the lowest MDBF of 2005 and 2006, they shined like new. now that they are gone, the remaining R42s are truly horrible to look at.

Archived