Peak fare question

Marctalky1

I dont think there is a need for peak fare.

Service is usually cut on holidays to weekend service. I dont see a purpose for peak fare if trains on some lines would run every 45min to 1 hour.

Maybe SOME holiday they can add some higher fares, such as New Years. But this will anger passengers.

I think it would be a little unfair to make holiday weekends peak fare times. Many people who are shopping will only take Metro-North or Long Island Rail Road that one time, compared to a peak rider who commutes into the city every day and takes up seats daily. Using the same logic, would summer weekend trains heading out to Freeport and Jones Beach be considered peak, too?

Plus, raising fares may deter people from shopping in general which would not be good for the malls and such.

WMATA has a 3-tiered fare system.

Regular fare:

Weekdays start-7:30, 9:00-9:30, 15:00-16:30, 18:00-19:00

Weekends start-24:00

Peak fare:

7:30-9:00, 16:30-18:00 weekdays

Reduced fare (not the same as senior fare, which is 1/2 regular fare):

Weekdays 9:30-15:00, 19:00-end

Weekends 24:00-end

For example, a trip from Shady Grove to Metro Center would cost $5 regular, $5.20 peak, $2.75 reduced, and $2.50 senior.

No thank you :tdown:

My family and I took the LIRR back on Thanksgiving... $8.25 for a off-peak one-way ticket to Long Beach... all the trains were packed... and there's the lovely 20-minute wait at Jamaica for a Brooklyn-bound train...

Make a dedicated holiday schedule, and maybe we'll talk.

Nassau county is one of the richest counties in america I think they can afford to pay it.

Marctalky no offense but you sound way off base and never travel much. Yes Nassau is one of the richest counties in the USA. However have you been to places like Hempstead, Roosevelt just to name a couple of towns where not everyone is driving a Lexus or Mercedes. Every town even if the town has rich residents there always someone living at or near the poverty line.

In addition I use Metro North semi regular. I live in Dutchess County upstate and many people here not far from rich. Sorry dude wrong idea and way off base on expanded peak fare service as not everyone using LIRR and even Metro North is related to Bill Gates, Oprah or Warren Buffett.

The only way the (MTA) should be expanded peak fare service to/from NYC(mainly Penn Station, 125th Street, Grand Central and the Brooklyn LIRR stations)on Metro North and LIRR is if Metro North created overnight 24/7 service, Meaning Metro North could then charge a small (i.e $1.00) overnight fee similar to the DC Metro does for late evening service on Friday/Saturday Nights..

Other than the current fare stucture is fine since train service is more frequent during rush hours. Rest of time almost all other LIRR/Metro North rider waits as much as 1-hour for train service all day every day. Let keep it as it is.

Nassau county is one of the richest counties in america I think they can afford to pay it.

That is the sad part so is montgomery county,MD yet montgomery county,MD has a VASTLY SUPERIOR SYSTEM IN EVERY WAY. A completely superior bus network and still being one of the richest counties in america probably richer than nassau too. PLUS their ridership is MUCH higher than nassau's embarrasing 100,000 ridership count. To make things even more embarassing Montgomery county has only 971,777 residents. Nassau has 1.3 million yet Montgomery county,MD has nearly 10 TIMES THE RIDERSHIP!!!!!!!! Even more!!! There is no excuse for the poor ridership in nassau NONE. Nassau has the LIRR which is literally the largest commuter rail in the country. Buses are supposed to connect to LIRR well and the subway. Montgomery county,MD only has WMATA and shitty MARC as feeders to montgomery Ride-on and with a smaller population there is just no excuse for the lame performance of LIB in nassau. Ohh the ppl are rich most people are not poor there blah blah I CALL BS on the rich excuse!!!!!!!

Sorry to be off topic

Marctalky no offense but you sound way off base and never travel much. Yes Nassau is one of the richest counties in the USA. However have you been to places like Hempstead, Roosevelt just to name a couple of towns where not everyone is driving a Lexus or Mercedes. Every town even if the town has rich residents there always someone living at or near the poverty line.

In addition I use Metro North semi regular. I live in Dutchess County upstate and many people here not far from rich. Sorry dude wrong idea and way off base on expanded peak fare service as not everyone using LIRR and even Metro North is related to Bill Gates, Oprah or Warren Buffett.

The only way the (MTA) should be expanded peak fare service to/from NYC(mainly Penn Station, 125th Street, Grand Central and the Brooklyn LIRR stations)on Metro North and LIRR is if Metro North created overnight 24/7 service, Meaning Metro North could then charge a small (i.e $1.00) overnight fee similar to the DC Metro does for late evening service on Friday/Saturday Nights..

Other than the current fare stucture is fine since train service is more frequent during rush hours. Rest of time almost all other LIRR/Metro North rider waits as much as 1-hour for train service all day every day. Let keep it as it is.

Well said

What I am trying to say is why can't the MTA make extra money when a lot of people ride the trains.

That's not the point of peak fares. Peak fares are meant to discourage casual riders during rush hour, so that those who have to take the trains during that time(commuters) can fit on the train. The railroad wants as many people as they can get during the weekends.

In the upcoming months and years look for increased weekend service.

What I am trying to say is why can't the MTA make extra money when a lot of people ride the trains.

They already make more money when more people ride the trains.

The expense to run a train is the same regardless if 1 person rides or 500. Now lets say the average passenger count on any given off peak train is 200 people. Now during the holiday season the average count rises to 400, that will calculate into 200 additional fares paid for regardless if it's peak or off peak.

Using you philosophy, no matter when there is increased ridership fares should be higher. Example: NY Yankee home games. During games there are additional trains running. Just because of additional trains doesn't mean there are additional fares. Heck, on the weekends for someone traveling from GCT or 125, they get the cheap city fare rate of $3.75. If you raise fares in these circumstances you will only push people away to ride the subway.

Another example is New Years Eve. While there is addition Metro North service on New Years Eve (running straight through morning) is it really necessary to charge people more? Let's not push them away so they drive as many would not be in the condition to do so.

I'm all for ways on making more money but leave the regular fare system the way it is. If anything maybe raise the family fare across the board. Currently a child between 5 and 11 can ride with an adult at 75 cents. Raise that even $1 and they would still be getting a bargain. Expensively since some of the older male "children" are growing facial hair.

Peak fares are put in place for passengers to pay for the extra trains that are run during the rush hours. It would not make sense to charge people extra for trains that run every hour (even longer for branch line trains such as the Danbury that runs every THREE hours on weekends).

peak fare? since LIRR cut the service in half, even when I have a monthly pass, I don't even want to take it. I've driven far more than ever since the schedule changed not long ago

This is one of my pet peeves when this line comes up. Its same as some people who states all NYers or Manhattan residents or Nassau are wealthy.... some kind of false image that all NYers lives are like TV shows like Sex in the City.

Archived