MTA Set to buy eight blizzard-busting snowblowers, but delivery could take nearly a year

Harry

The (MTA) is buying eight monster Snowthrowers — diesel-powered machines that clear train-stalling snow drifts from the tracks.

They will arrive just in time for winter. Next winter.

Maybe.

The Snowthrowers probably won’t all be delivered until the spring of 2013, according to a Metropolitan Transportation Authority document.

Read more: MTA set to buy eight blizzard-busting* Snowthrowers, but delivery could take nearly a year* - NY Daily News

post-1-133288582672_thumb.jpg

post-1-133288582672_thumb.jpg

So, you get 8 massive snowthrowers. Excuse my ignorance, but where in the City do you launch 2 foot plus drifts too??? Where off the El's?? Over the side onto the streets or apartment houses. We have trouble up here getting rid of that much snow. Cannot imagine down there..!!

So, you get 8 massive snowthrowers. Excuse my ignorance, but where in the City do you launch 2 foot plus drifts too??? Where off the El's?? Over the side onto the streets or apartment houses. We have trouble up here getting rid of that much snow. Cannot imagine down there..!!

Elevated lines can't accumulate snow. Snow doesn't pile up on the tracks up there. Usually strong winds shut down elevated lines. Only places where it's needed would be open cuts like the Sea Beach Line (N), and surface lines like the Ninth Avenue station on the West End Line.

Roadcruiser1, thanks for that. I didn't realize snow doesn't collect on the Els. Shows how long it's been since I have been to the city! Ok, so how is it remove in the open cuts? Where is it blown too, the cuts are basicly ditches with 3 or 4 tracks, right? I work for VT's AOT and we have a few places similar to "cuts" in shallow valleys that we ocasionally use a large blower usually used for the Airport. But we have space to throw it. Is there a place with photos of snow removal in cuts? Thanks!!:tup:

Roadcruiser1, thanks for that. I didn't realize snow doesn't collect on the Els. Shows how long it's been since I have been to the city! Ok, so how is it remove in the open cuts? Where is it blown too, the cuts are basicly ditches with 3 or 4 tracks, right? I work for VT's AOT and we have a few places similar to "cuts" in shallow valleys that we ocasionally use a large blower usually used for the Airport. But we have space to throw it. Is there a place with photos of snow removal in cuts? Thanks!!:tup:

Here you go Greg: The video shown here is a snow plow train clearing the tracks on the Brighton Line (Q line) which is an open cut. Looks like the snow is being blown into the residents backyard. Unfortunately for this resident the pressure from the snow shooting out from the train broke their windows earlier.

Also a photo:

167138_489325869090_250313209090_6317454_4092091_n.jpg

Thanks for the video Jamacia Line, guess that answers my question. I can see some windows being blown in. To see people actually shoveling by hand is quite amazing in this day and age, but when you get buried by big snow it need's doing. In my plowing days, I have removed a few mailboxes and blew a screen door apart with snow. Its the battle with Winter.B)

Archived