New York City Subway Route Riddles

BM5 via Woodhaven

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree with two timer. it is hard to come up with a riddle. Sometime when you think it only answer but didn't realize a possibility of another.

riddle

As of right now i only touch Queens for one stop. Who am I ? most of you should get this.

Hold off on your riddle for now. It is NX's turn. If he passes, you can go.

nx express you are correct with (L)

Riddle i had before that i couldn't hold my water

I only have one stop in Queens. Who am I?

It the (L) at Halsey street. According to the map and history three quarters of station is in Queens. Moslty Manhattan bound and half of eastern Carnarsie Bound. train.

The (1)? Pass if correct..

Incorrect. The (1) has trips starting/ending at 238th (and 137 as well). Don't go by the map on the (L), because another map would have the entire station in Brooklyn, with the Queens border "buried" deep in the graveyard. That's why I never asked that question because that too is a bit leaky.

I'll go.

Please. If you hate me so much, and value that other service along our segment together, I'll just go to my brother's terminal, or to a friends terminal, but if I go to my friend's my cousin sometimes heads there to torment me. What's a cousin that keeps trying to avoid me. I meet my cousin more than once. I don't want to hear my cousin so I just go my own path, but sometimes I get diverted but if I do, I stall my cousin.

Who am I, the sufferer?

Who is my idiotic cousin?

Who is my Brother?

Who is my friend?

Please. If you hate me so much, and value that other service along our segment together, I'll just go to my brother's terminal, or to a friends terminal, but if I go to my friend's my cousin sometimes heads there to torment me. What's a cousin that keeps trying to avoid me. I meet my cousin more than once. I don't want to hear my cousin so I just go my own path, but sometimes I get diverted but if I do, I stall my cousin.

Who am I, the sufferer?

Who is my Brother?

Who is my friend?

------------------

Who I am? The #5 line

Who is my idiotic cousin? The #3 line

Who is my brother? The #2 line

Who is my friend? The #4 line.

Several transit fans have expressed their dislike of the #5 line, saying that is simply duplicates other services, and "goes nowhere" on its own. Also for a while the MTA suspended the #5 route on weekends for weeks on end for G.O's.

Plenty of transit fans have expressed their love of the #4 line which gets 24/7/365 service, fairly quick trains, and is often seen as the useful express service on Lexington Avenue.

The brother's terminal is Flatbush Avenue, while the friend's terminal is Utica Avenue. The #5 route rarely if ever had its own sole terminal in Brooklyn. Sometimes #5 trains are sent to or originate from the New Lots terminal where the #3 calls home. The #3 and the #5 meet only on certain stops, with the #3 traveling the westside but not the Bronx, while the #5 travels the eastside on Lexington Avenue. When #5 trains are diverted to the westside, riders become fearful and crowd the #3 line because it is not a usual line that is expected.

Just my thoughts.

Mike

Who am I, the sufferer?

Who is my Brother?

Who is my friend?

------------------

Who I am? The #5 line

Several transit fans have expressed their dislike of the #5 line, saying that is simply duplicates other services, and "goes nowhere" on its own. Also for a while the MTA suspended the #5 route on weekends for weeks on end for G.O's.

Plenty of transit fans have expressed their love of the #4 line which gets 24/7/365 service, fairly quick trains, and is often seen as the useful express service on Lexington Avenue.

The brother's terminal is Flatbush Avenue, while the friend's terminal is Utica Avenue. The #5 route rarely if ever had its own sole terminal in Brooklyn. Sometimes #5 trains are sent to or originate from the New Lots terminal where the #3 calls home. The #3 and the #5 meet only on certain stops, with the #3 traveling the westside but not the Bronx, while the #5 travels the eastside on Lexington Avenue. When #5 trains are diverted to the westside, become fearful and crowd the #3 line because it is a usual line that is expected.

Just my thoughts.

Mike

This is a great riddle & a well-thought out answer. Mike: Pass or go?

Who am I, the sufferer?

Who is my Brother?

Who is my friend?

------------------

Who I am? The #5 line

The brother's terminal is Flatbush Avenue, while the friend's terminal is Utica Avenue. The #5 route rarely if ever had its own sole terminal in Brooklyn. Sometimes #5 trains are sent to or originate from the New Lots terminal where the #3 calls home. The #3 and the #5 meet only on certain stops, with the #3 traveling the westside but not the Bronx, while the #5 travels the eastside on Lexington Avenue. When #5 trains are diverted to the westside, riders become fearful and crowd the #3 line because it is not a usual line that is expected.

Just my thoughts.

Mike

You got the sufferer right: The (5)

The idiotic Cousin (2)

The brother : (4)

The friend: (3)

The (5) is inconsistent the way it is. People would prefer the (2) better in the Bronx and in Brooklyn The cousin is the (2) since the Bronx and Brooklyn Sections are almost the same. However, the Manhattan Section is different.

The Brother is the (4). They operate together from 149 street to Bowling Green or Franklin Avenue. The (3) is really more of a reliever for the (2). The (5) goes to either Utica Avenue hence the brother term for the (4). The (5) can also go to New Lots Avenue hence the reason of the (3) being a friend, however the (2) also goes to New Lots Avenue. The (5) in the Bronx makes 5 stops by itself. Some (5) trains however go to 238 street/Nereid Avenue, stalling the (2) at the station before Nereid Avenue.

Mike, I'll be nice and let you the option to pass or Go.

I'm a weird station

They built me to be a terminal

They built me to handle LIRR trains

Then they changed their minds

They built me to connect to two bridges

Then they decided to connect me to a third bridge

While I'm being built they changed their minds, again

Then they decided to connect me to the south

Then they decided to sever me from one bridge

Sometimes I am north, then the center, now I guess I'm south

Then my neighbor next door expanded leaving me un-even

I've been neglected for years, the poster child of decay

Now I'm a wreck when I used to be a contender

Who am I?

You got the sufferer right: The (5)

The idiotic Cousin (2)

The brother : (4)

The friend: (3)

The (5) is inconsistent the way it is. People would prefer the (2) better in the Bronx and in Brooklyn The cousin is the (2) since the Bronx and Brooklyn Sections are almost the same. However, the Manhattan Section is different.

The Brother is the (4). They operate together from 149 street to Bowling Green or Franklin Avenue. The (3) is really more of a reliever for the (2). The (5) goes to either Utica Avenue hence the brother term for the (4). The (5) can also go to New Lots Avenue hence the reason of the (3) being a friend, however the (2) also goes to New Lots Avenue. The (5) in the Bronx makes 5 stops by itself. Some (5) trains however go to 238 street/Nereid Avenue, stalling the (2) at the station before Nereid Avenue.

Mike, I'll be nice and let you the option to pass or Go.

Not to stray off topic, but I really think the Eastern Pkwy. Line would work better if the (5) ran Local, and the (2) Express. They could do it, because all the Local stops were added into the FIND map on the (5).

I'm a weird station

They built me to be a terminal

They built me to handle LIRR trains

Then they changed their minds

They built me to connect to two bridges

Then they decided to connect me to a third bridge

While I'm being built they changed their minds, again

Then they decided to connect me to the south

Then they decided to sever me from one bridge

Sometimes I am north, then the center, now I guess I'm south

Then my neighbor next door expanded leaving me un-even

I've been neglected for years, the poster child of decay

Now I'm a wreck when I used to be a contender

Who am I?

Definitely something about the (J)(M)(Z). I am going to have to say Essex/Delancey Street. But then again, Chambers Street seems pretty legit to be the answer. It seems to be the ideal terminal, and I can see those inner tracks being put to LIRR use. But Essex/Delancey, because it has plenty of tracks, and 2 are unused I think.

Not to stray off topic, but I really think the Eastern Pkwy. Line would work better if the (5) ran Local, and the (2) Express. They could do it, because all the Local stops were added into the FIND map on the (5).

Switching on Eastern Parkway (combined 50 tph in one direction) is something you really want to avoid if possible. Check the track map.

(J) at Chambers, used to connect to the Manny B (Nassau Loop), and the LIRR used to run trains out of there (there's that Rockaway branch again) for a short period of time (looked that piece up, knew the other parts). The rise at the end of Chambers st was an abandoned attempt to connect the station to the Brooklyn Bridge above. Its the south terminal for the (J) now on weekends, it used to be about midway when the (Mx) went down to Bay Parkway, and it was the north terminal for those <R> bankers specials.

http://www.columbia.edu/~brennan/abandoned/chambers.html

Archived