Just asking for Opinion (no bashing please)

pjbr40

As stated in title above, just asking for opinions without any bashing on this particular topic that I like to hear.

Since a lot of commuters are complaining of either tunnel works or elevated structure works. Which way you think the subway should be good to run around? Underground or Elevated?

Let em complain.... They'll stop when their behinds are sitting on those very trains once they are in service....

To answer your question though (well, what I think you're asking anyway... since it's worded funny)

I'd say/prefer subways be constructed underground, before/over the constructing & propping up of el's.....

I have no idea what you are talking about....

Yea, can you clarify on what you mean?

Basically: "Do you prefer elevated lines or subway tunnels?"

I favor elevated lines since they are cheaper to build, and their construction time is much much shorter than drilling a tunnel into the earth.

Basically: "Do you prefer elevated lines or subway tunnels?"

I favor elevated lines since they are cheaper to build, and their construction time is much much shorter than drilling a tunnel into the earth.

Oh ok........ The only thing that makes me like one over the other is the fact that I can use my phone on the El's. Other than that it makes me no dirrerence.

I prefer elevated lines as a railfan, but, objectively speaking I know that underground lines are more advanced, cause less of an obstruction and are generally quicker. Not to mention that many people outside the railfan community believe the elevated lines are an eyesore, like my cousin. We were once in Astoria last year, during my visit, and he told me that if it were up to him he would tear down the elevated lines, because they're an eyesore. I told him that elevated lines make NYC great (in my opinion)..

Being From Chicago, I've been exposed to both.

As a commuter, it would make sense to run them underground. However, when I visited NYC in December, I quickly lost my sense of direction since I often forgot what direction I was heading towards. (especially in Queens and Brooklyn).

Either one has it's pros and cons, a system with only one type would be next to impossible. It is true that elevated lines are prone to snow storms, high winds and public concern. Same goes for underground system which is susceptible to floods, high costs including maintenance, and difficulty of access. In New York, having only one of two is impossible. Lets take southern Brooklyn for example, where most of the lines are not underground, the reason for that is high water table, which eliminates any possibility for underground subway line. Now imagine if Manhattan still had all of the El lines, a motorists' nightmare come alive. That, and countless other reasons, is why we (and most systems worldwide) have both.

I still don't fully get what the OP is asking...

If it's simply about which one I'd prefer riding along, it makes absolutely zero difference to me..... I can't even gather myself to want to come up with listing pro's & con's of either... that's how insignificant a preference b/w the two are to me, as a rider.....

As stated in title above, just asking for opinions without any bashing on this particular topic that I like to hear.

Since a lot of commuters are complaining of either tunnel works or elevated structure works. Which way you think the subway should be good to run around? Underground or Elevated?

O this is an easy one. I would rather complete underground for 1 main reason. Elevated tracks are like normal buildings, they take up space. Underground however, is out of sight, out of mind. When I say this, I mean that there is more room for progress; Elevated routes get in the way of this.

If you have his the books, you would know that back in the day, pretty much all of the subway was elevated. And also the commuter rails too. Over time, they are switching to underground.

There are no major structures underground (Besides Government Bases, Water Lines, etc.) that prevent major construction. Above ground, there are tons of buildings. Also, you can create longer routes underground than above the ground (THIS GOES FOR NY ONLY).

O don't get me wrong it is much easier and less time consuming to build an elevated route. Underground route construction really is hectic; Tearing up roads, detouring traffic, the deal.

I go with underground.

Archived