Fastest Route

R160

Starting: Borough Hall/Jay St. MetroTech

Ending: 71st Av - Forest Hills

So I need to get from my school to Forest Hills as soon as possible. I came up with several ideas, but not sure which is fastest.

(A) from Jay St-MetroTech to 42nd St-PA and transfer to (E)

(F) from Jay St-MetroTech to Forest Hills (or maybe (F) to Lafayette to (D) 45-50 Sts and back to (F)

(4)(5) from Borough Hall to 42 St-GC where either;

1) (6) to 51st and transfer to (E) OR

2) (7) to Court Sq and transfer to (E)

(2)(3) from Borough Hall to 42 St-TS and use connection to (E)

(R) to 34 St and transfer to (F)

(2) to Park Place and transfer to (E) at WTC

Which is fastest or is there another option?

Starting: Borough Hall/Jay St. MetroTech

Ending: 71st Av - Forest Hills

So I need to get from my school to Forest Hills as soon as possible. I came up with several ideas, but not sure which is fastest.

(A) from Jay St-MetroTech to 42nd St-PA and transfer to (E)

(F) from Jay St-MetroTech to Forest Hills (or maybe (F) to Lafayette to (D) 45-50 Sts and back to (F)

(4)(5) from Borough Hall to 42 St-GC where either;

1) (6) to 51st and transfer to (E) OR

2) (7) to Court Sq and transfer to (E)

(2)(3) from Borough Hall to 42 St-TS and use connection to (E)

Which is fastest or is there another option?

It does not make sense to take (D) if you take (F) which goes directly from Jay St to Forest Hills.

Keep in mind Court Sq (7) Station is closed until April at all times.

I also prefer (A)(C) to (E).

I'd go for the one seat ride with the (F). Not only do you not waste time waiting for additional trains and walking through station complexes to get to the other train, it's not that many more stops than the other options.

(F) - 17 stops

(A)+(E) - 16 stops

(4)(5)+(6)+(E) - 11 stops

(4)(5)+(7)+(E) - 12 stops

(2)(3)+(E) (42nd St)- 15 stops + one long ass walk

(2)(3)+(E) (Park Pl) - 19 stops

(R)+(F) - 19 stops

The only other option I would even consider would be the (4)(5) to 42nd, transfer for the (6) to 51st, transfer to the (E). Those trains run every minute or so during rush hour so you won't need to worry about waiting, the only thing is that the (4)(5) can experience terrible delays during the morning rush when I'm headed downtown. There's also almost zero probability of you getting a seat.

If there's no train traffic then I think that the one I just mentioned will be faster than the (F), but not by much. However, there's been times when it's been so bad that it's taken 15 minutes to get from 14th Street to Brooklyn Bridge on the express, so I wouldn't trust the (4)(5)(6) lines at all.

I'd go for the one seat ride with the (F). Not only do you not waste time waiting for additional trains and walking through station complexes to get to the other train, it's not that many more stops than the other options.

(F) - 17 stops

(A)+(E) - 16 stops

(R)+(F) - 19 stops

The only other option I would even consider would be the (4)(5) to 42nd, transfer for the (6) to 51st, transfer to the (E). Those trains run every minute or so during rush hour so you won't need to worry about waiting, the only thing is that the (4)(5) can experience terrible delays during the morning rush when I'm headed downtown. There's also almost zero probability of you getting a seat.

If there's no train traffic then I think that the one I just mentioned will be faster than the (F), but not by much. However, there's been times when it's been so bad that it's taken 15 minutes to get from 14th Street to Brooklyn Bridge on the express, so I wouldn't trust the (4)(5)(6) lines at all.

very insightful post.

I would also recommend the (F) one-seat ride.

Another alternative that takes the same amount of time is the (G) (!) to the (E). However, waiting for the (G) is a killer.

If the (G) stopped at queens plaza station..i would consider that route as well..however the wait for the (G) at hoyt-schermerhorn can be painful like NX stated

When I'm traveling b/w hobby shops; from chinatown to 71st/continental (virtually the same commute from downtown bk.), what I do is take the Q from Canal to 57th or 59th/lex for the R... then get off at Queens Plz. & wait for the E or the F.... usually takes around 35-40 mins; it's never been longer than an hour, I can tell you that much....

---------

Of the options you presented, I'd immediately toss out anything involving the 2/3 & the A.... the more west you head towards in manhattan, the more you prolong your commute....

So you're left w/ the Lex. av line option & the 6th av line option.... I wouldn't bother w/ the 4/5 to the (6 or 7) b/c it's too much walking to go from platform-to-platform... from 51st st on the 6 to lex/53rd on the E and especially from court sq. on the 7 to 23rd/ely on the E....

Me personally, I hate the F local stint in manhattan just as much as I hate taking the R local stint in manhattan, so I can't see myself doing the first or the last options you listed either.... But if you're dead set on just the ones you listed, you may as well just take the F all the way to 71st/continental.....

Someone mentioned the G.... I wouldn't bother w/ that; that's the 2nd worst option next to taking the 2/3 to the E....

Guest lance25
I typed it in to google maps and it says the fastest way is the (4) to the (6) to the (E).

Unless you like walking through long, winding passageways, just take the (F). No need to over-complicate things by hopping on the Lex and transferring at 51 St/Lexington Av-53 St. Whatever time you're saving on a slightly faster train is lost in transferring.

If the (G) stopped at queens plaza station..i would consider that route as well..however the wait for the (G) at hoyt-schermerhorn can be painful like NX stated

oh i know that...i just don't like the walk from Court Square to 23rd st Ely station

Agreed! Doing that wait 5 times was enough for me. I can't imagine doing it twice a day.

And yet no one bothered to mention the time savings since you don't have to go through Manhattan.

And yet no one bothered to mention the time savings since you don't have to go through Manhattan.

....because it aint significant enough to make a difference worth mentioning...

I'm not sure how often you take the G, but that line always had a tendency to lag along the entire route... not uncommon for a trip to take almost a 1/2 hour b/w downtown brooklyn & queens....

I have taken the (G) train many times from Brooklyn to Queens and vice versa, you're not saving that much time due to the multiple stops in Brooklyn that it goes through. Now if the (G) had less stops, I would totally agree.

One reason to just take the F-train, is that if you're a student, you could always use the time traveling on the F-train to READ. To read your text books, to get some studying done, etc. What student has NEVER had to do some "last minute stuff"?

The other options really don't allow that kind of time management to go on - since you're always transferring from train to train.

Since none of the proposed options is very much greater than each other, just take the F-train. Get some reading done, relax yourself both before and after class.

Mike

(F) - 17 stops

(A)+(E) - 16 stops

(R)+(F) - 19 stops

Rule of thumb for this post: add about 3 to 5 stops for every plus sign you see in between the bullets. You can see the (F) will get you there the fastest.

If I took the (F) and transferred to the (D) my hope would be that I pass another (F) before 47-50 Sts.

The (D) is only express for 2 stops on 6th ave...not worth it imo

Oh, you definitely wont. You might actually lose the (F) you originally were on in the process if you waited any time at all for the (:((D).

Generally, the one seat ride is faster than all transfer options (which is why there is great importance put on that "one seat ride" on transit fansites), unless the transfer was across the platform and the destination was served by the original service you were on and the one you transfered to.

Archived