NICE Planned Service/Schedule Changes

tvega961

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My younger cousin got interviewed by some guy from newsday. My cousin took the 9:30 am n20 out of flushing. When he got to Hicksville , he waited at the stop and an n79 bus pulled up. The bus was the same operator he claims as the n20 BO. I saw the pic and it was bus #1824.

If anyone was on the 9:30 am bus n20 that left Hicksville please tell me the number to verify if the n20 is now interlining with the n79. He claims he took 1824 in the morning on the n20 based on what he says.

My younger cousin got interviewed by some guy from newsday. My cousin took the 9:30 am n20 out of flushing. When he got to Hicksville , he waited at the stop and an n79 bus pulled up. The bus was the same operator he claims as the n20 BO. I saw the pic and it was bus #1824.

If anyone was on the 9:30 am bus n20 that left Hicksville please tell me the number to verify if the n20 is now interlining with the n79. He claims he took 1824 in the morning on the n20 based on what he says.

Does anyone know if the n20 will interlink with the 79. What I have to say is that my cousin sometimes exaggerates about stuff. (Man I wish my Cousin didn't share the same name as me) I saw schedules inside a building full of schedules all over. N6 that I was on BTW was packed that It flagged from Queens to Herricks Road. Man that was nice.

Does anyone know if the n20 will interlink with the 79. What I have to say is that my cousin sometimes exaggerates about stuff. (Man I wish my Cousin didn't share the same name as me) I saw schedules inside a building full of schedules all over. N6 that I was on BTW was packed that It flagged from Queens to Herricks Road. Man that was nice.

We should be able to figure it out from looking at the schedule. If the N79 and N24 have long layovers in Hicksville, it's a good bet they interline.

Easy way to find the interlinings: make a chart!

Saturdays

:00 N79 Hicksville

:00 N22 Jamaica

:01 N20 Flushing

:10 N73 Wantagh

:15 N22 Hicksville

:30 N24 Hicksville

:30 N22 Jamaica

:30 N73 Hicksville

:40 N79 Huntington

:45 N22 Hicksville

:47 N20 Hicksville

:53 N24 Jamaica

Sundays:

:09 N22 Hicksville

:14 N20 Flushing

:28 N24 Hicksville

:38 N20 Hicksville

:39 N22 Hicksville

:45 N79 Huntington

:55 N79 Hicksville

Note that N49/80/81 can't be factored in because they have different terminal locations.

Easy way to find the interlinings: make a chart!

Saturdays

:00 N79 Hicksville

:01 N20 Flushing

:10 N73 Wantagh

:15 N22 Hicksville

:30 N24 Hicksville

:30 N73 Hicksville

:40 N79 Huntington

:45 N22 Hicksville

:47 N20 Hicksville

Sundays:

:09 N22 Hicksville

:14 N20 Flushing

:28 N24 Hicksville

:38 N20 Hicksville

:39 N22 Hicksville

:45 N79 Huntington

:55 N79 Hicksville

Note that N49/80/81 can't be factored in because they have different terminal locations.

I was busy working on my state tax return and didn't have time to prepare a chart. I have to modify your good work by showing the arrival and departure times of the buses at Hicksville. If an departing N79 leaves before an arriving N79, the departing N79 has to come from somewhere else.

Below is my SATURDAY analysis.

N79 arrives Hicksville at :00 and leaves at :40

N24 arrives Hicksville at :30 and leaves at :53

N22 arrives Hicksville at :15, leaves at :30; arrives at :45. leaves at :00

N73 arrives HIcksville at :30 and leaves at :10

N20 arrives Hicksville at :47 and leaves at :01

The running times on N20, N22, and N24 average 75 minutes. Recovery time is usually 10% of running time which would be about 8 minutes for each. I SPECULATE that N22 turns on itself. Yes, the layover is 15 minutes with recovery of 8 minutes. However, it's easier to remember a departure time if it's clockface, which in this case is :30 and :00. N24 and N73 BOTH arrive at :30. Either N24 OR N73 turns to the next N79 which leaves at :40. However, even with 8 minutes recovery time on the N24, if anything goes wrong, it will leave late on the N79. I SPECULATE that the N24 turns on itself. I also SPECULATE that the N20 turns on itself. I SPECULATE that the arriving N73 goes out on the next N79 at :40. Running time is 35 minutes so recovery time would be 4 minutes, enough time for a 10 minute interline. I SPECULATE that the arriving N79 goes out on the next N73. N79 running time is about 40 minutes for recovery time of 4 minutes, enough time for a 10 minute interline.

Bottom line: N79 and N73 interline at Hicksville.

(I'm really sticking my neck out on this.) Back to proofing my state income tax return which isn't as exciting.

Edited by nostalgia

I just found this article about the state budget providing a little extra funding to Nassau and Suffolk's transit systems: http://blog.tstc.org/2012/04/06/state-budget-could-bolster-li-transit-systems/

I wonder what cuts would be restored if the money went to Nassau (as in, which ones are a priority). Or maybe they think SCT needs it more, and they could use it to help fund Sunday service.

BTW, was that you who posted the comment N6 LTD?

I just found this article about the state budget providing a little extra funding to Nassau and Suffolk's transit systems: http://blog.tstc.org...ransit-systems/

I wonder what cuts would be restored if the money went to Nassau (as in, which ones are a priority). Or maybe they think SCT needs it more, and they could use it to help fund Sunday service.

Article states Nassau gets $4M. Cuts are supposed to close $7M shortage. I'd hold onto all of it and see if cuts will realize $7M in savings. $4M should go to cover any shortage in saving $7M. With so many comments about broken down buses, perhaps the funds should go for maintenance. It makes no sense to restore cuts. That's only putting off the inevitable.

I just found this article about the state budget providing a little extra funding to Nassau and Suffolk's transit systems: http://blog.tstc.org...ransit-systems/

Yeah I made that comment, lol.

Article states Nassau gets $4M. Cuts are supposed to close $7M shortage. I'd hold onto all of it and see if cuts will realize $7M in savings. $4M should go to cover any shortage in saving $7M. With so many comments about broken down buses, perhaps the funds should go for maintenance. It makes no sense to restore cuts. That's only putting off the inevitable.

Exactly! As for maintenance, those O5's were always breaking down under LIB, so it's either Orion makes crap buses, and/or LIB's maintenance practices.

Bus riders adjust as NICE system changes

http://www.newsday.c...anges-1.3649524

Returning from his job in Jericho Sunday, Mike Sax hoped to quickly catch the N20 bus to Hicksville, then the N49 on his way home to Baldwin.

His timing was almost perfect -- for the schedule he'd come to know.

But Easter Sunday was the first day of major service changes in Nassau's bus system, and because his buses' departures had shifted, Sax walked from Hicksville's Broadway Mall to the Long Island Rail Road hub, then waited an hour for his connection.

"I'm 0-for-2 in figuring this out," said the 40-year-old security guard, noting the two lines in which he narrowly missed hourly departures. "I want to believe that this will help people, but for now I'm a skeptic."

The changes on some NICE Bus lines are meant to close a $7 million budget gap while providing better service for almost a third of the system's nearly 35,000 riders. Weekday express routes were added to and from Queens, while lesser-used lines were cut for nonpeak hours.

NICE officials say they were able to make the changes without wholly eliminating any of the line's 48 routes. They point out that the new N6 and N22 express routes, to and from Jamaica and Flushing, respectively, could cut travel time up to 20 minutes each way.

Rodney Benny, a dietitian from Uniondale, frequently takes the N6 into Queens, and said he welcomes the express.

"That would make things much easier," he said Sunday, waiting for a bus at the Hempstead Transit Center. "It helps with people's time management, that's for sure."

Minutes earlier, Benny studied the service change summary posted on the wall. He nearly didn't realize that his bus now stops at a different bay.

"I'm sure if people don't come in and look at the signs, they could be late for work," he said with a laugh.

Back in Hicksville, Julia Arteaga and her 12-year-old son, Jose, awaited the N24 bus to Roosevelt Field mall. Jose thumbed through a stack of newly revised bus schedules, soaking up all the changes.

"He already knows everything," Julia Arteaga said. "He collects all the timetables."

So what was his verdict?

"We're really not that hurt by it," Jose said, noting most of the lines his family rides are expanding. "But other people are going to have to find alternatives, and there aren't always alternatives."

A future member of nyctf? lol

So according to the article, the N6 and N22 now go to Flushing. Thats news to me!

They point out that the new N6 and N22 express routes, to and from Jamaica and Flushing, respectively, could cut travel time up to 20 minutes each way.

So according to the article, the N6 and N22 now go to Flushing. Thats news to me!

You're one of those riders who don't pay attention to service changes! :P

We have hell this morning here on the 79 and 22. People stopping the bus to ask questions people not knowing the new times. I can't wait to see what's going to happen at roosevelt field.

Report everything to us!(Please :D ) All NICE riders this week should be "i-reporters"! LOL

They point out that the new N6 and N22 express routes, to and from Jamaica and Flushing, respectively, could cut travel time up to 20 minutes each way.

I was going to point that out as well, but neither route goes to Flushing, especially the N22 which is what the "respectively" denotes. Edited by N6 Limited

8 24 n35 was late 8 40 n43 was early you had n23 whowing up and people waiting in the first bay for the n15 today all at rooevelt field. I did see 2 n22xs 2 n24s to hicksville 16x and n45 blocking the bays so I can't wait to see what's going to happen when I go to hempstead later. If im just going to the broadway mall is it worth the risk to take the 16 to the 49 or just walk from the train station in hicksville. Also forgot to mention is people still think that n79 go to westbury rf and mineola too.

is NICE really on the new schedule? the very early morning n20/n21 was all out of whacked. buses seem appeared to come in 15 min too early or was it 15 min too late.....of course then a bus pile appeared to come in all at once. Traffic can not be the cause as there is very little traffic at about 6am or so.

Nothing irritates me more is when there is one bus packed to near overflow while next two buses is almost empty. The other week also pissed me off too. The LTD bus was running late. The bus had a few people on it, it didn't stop as I flagged it down. The driver waved his hand for the bus behind me. The bus behind me was packed full of people & made more stops. I should have called to complained the driver, it is unexcusable not to make your stops if he is late or not. /rant

Edited by sirtiger

I saw the 8:51am N6 Express to Hempstead (Last Express of the AM rush). There was one person on board. There were two Locals after it a few mins later, within 2 mins of each other, but neither was packed.

This evening will be interesting with most N6 Expresses leaving from 179th street when virtually everyone trying to catch the N6 gets off at 169th street. Can we say packed locals , light expresses?

is NICE really on the new schedule? the very early morning n20/n21 was all out of whacked. buses seem appeared to come in 15 min too early or was it 15 min too late.....of course then a bus pile appeared to come in all at once. Traffic can not be the cause as there is very little traffic at about 6am or so.

Nothing irritates me more is when there is one bus packed to near overflow while next two buses is almost empty. The other week also pissed me off too. The LTD bus was running late. The bus had a few people on it, it didn't stop as I flagged it down. The driver waved his hand for the bus behind me. The bus behind me was packed full of people & made more stops. I should have called to complained the driver, it is unexcusable not to make your stops if he is late or not. /rant

Yeah there are new timetables for the routes. Go to nicebus.com or call and complain, It sucks being flagged by a bus that is not full only for the next bus to be packed.

and people waiting in the first bay for the n15 at Roosevelt field.

nice didn't mention any bay changes with their service change announcements. We found out because "Q23 Central Term" had a System Map with the diagram on the back. But then again, they should have seen the new signs. Edited by N6 Limited

I saw the 8:51am N6 Express to Hempstead (Last Express of the AM rush). There was one person on board. There were two Locals after it a few mins later, within 2 mins of each other, but neither was packed.

This evening will be interesting with most N6 Expresses leaving from 179th street when virtually everyone trying to catch the N6 gets off at 169th street. Can we say packed locals , light expresses?

Yeah there are new timetables for the routes. Go to nicebus.com or call and complain, It sucks being flagged by a bus that is not full only for the next bus to be packed.

nice didn't mention any bay changes with their service change announcements. We found out because "Q23 Central Term" had a System Map with the diagram on the back. But then again, they should have seen the new signs.

The system map on NICE's website doesn't show specific Hempstead bay assignments; just the routes that service the Transit Center.