NICE Planned Service/Schedule Changes

tvega961

As a off & on regular rider of the N20/21, i can make comments about the route.

I compared the schedule changes & its not too bad at all. The cuts aren't very noticeable. Minor cuts on the limtied. Some adjustment on lengthening the route or shortening it. The current schedule is out of whacked a little imo. I noticed sometimes there isn't enough buses and other times 2-4 buses comes at once which is annoying to say the least. Its combination of scheduling issues & delays causing all this.

Weekend schedule seem to be an increase in service. I notice the lenghening its routes as well.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a off & on regular rider of the N20/21, i can make comments about the route.

I compared the schedule changes & its not too bad at all. The cuts aren't very noticeable. Minor cuts on the limtied. Some adjustment on lengthening the route or shortening it. The current schedule is out of whacked a little imo. I noticed sometimes there isn't enough buses and other times 2-4 buses comes at once which is annoying to say the least. Its combination of scheduling issues & delays causing all this.

Weekend schedule seem to be an increase in service. I notice the lenghening its routes as well.

Right and all that people can say is "This is a disaster, Told you so, Mangano Sucks, they should have kept the MTA". They're adjusting service to demand, and they're still running more service for less money. Edited by N6 Limited

I understand that the N23 and N27 schedules might be coordinated for passengers to continue in the SAME direction. However, there's a minimal wait to reverse direction on the other days of the week. I'm only talking about adjusting the Saturday schedule by two minutes. It seems easier to change the N27 schedule to always arrive ahead of the N23 since the Roslyn Station is the most important time point on the route for N27. I don't know if N27 interlines with N21 in Glen Cove. If it does, it could make the schedule adjustment more difficult.

I look forward to NICE's response and will post it here.

Here's NICE's repsonse:

All the April 8th timetables are currently on our website. The new April 8th schedules will be available at Hempstead and Mineola by Wed. April 4th. Regarding typo correction, all corrections will be aplyed to the next timetables printed.

They are not running more service. The service is less and the cuts are evident. Maintenance is a mess, I mentioned the N22 fiasco I was on last week in another thread then I hear from a coleague that a road sup was dealing with 2 broke down buses on old country road when he was sideswiped by another bus that hit one of the buses because the steering failed. I can guarantee their MDBF and Trips complete % is below 90%. Or how about on Saturday when 4 N20s showed up and 3 didn't start back up. Adding two minutes to a route when buses are 10-15 minutes late isn't going to help especially when cutting headways. It's a 15 minute wait for a bus in flushing during the midday and yet 20-25 mins seems the norm. The N6X is a cut in service, you think the crowds at Elmont Ave just disappeared? Or Meachem or a dozen other stops going to be skipped? The N6 local is doomed. On paper and in theory they are small but in reality, these are major.

They are running more than the MTA would have been at this point in time. LIB has always had break down issues,they've inherited those buses. Bunching is a major issue, it seems that everytime I use the N6 they're late and bunched, quite irritating.

The N6X is a cut in running time/milage, but moves just as many people. On Paper it makes sense, everyone going the distance to the Subway or Hempstead will be in the Express bus which will leave room in the Local to pick up everyone else, we shall see.

They are not running more service. The service is less and the cuts are evident. Maintenance is a mess, I mentioned the N22 fiasco I was on last week in another thread then I hear from a coleague that a road sup was dealing with 2 broke down buses on old country road when he was sideswiped by another bus that hit one of the buses because the steering failed. I can guarantee their MDBF and Trips complete % is below 90%. Or how about on Saturday when 4 N20s showed up and 3 didn't start back up. Adding two minutes to a route when buses are 10-15 minutes late isn't going to help especially when cutting headways. It's a 15 minute wait for a bus in flushing during the midday and yet 20-25 mins seems the norm. The N6X is a cut in service, you think the crowds at Elmont Ave just disappeared? Or Meachem or a dozen other stops going to be skipped? The N6 local is doomed. On paper and in theory they are small but in reality, these are major.

I gather you're a NICE operator?

Nah, I was using them buses and a coleague of mine knows that road sup. that was hit. If I remember correctly in 2009 and 2010 LIB had a tremendous MDBF and much improved % trip completed. True about more service now then if the MTA was operating they would have gone ahead to cut those services. All I'm saying is that Veolia has been given a tough card to handle but by no means should anybody be praising Mangano and what is going on with Nassau County. I'm not buying the N6X, we will have to wait and see.

botton line. If NICE is doing this with LESS money than mta, NICE is doing an outstanding job.

Overall in my book NICE is getting a solid B- with no budget cut or not considerations. MTA was sort of a C+ overall. As said earlier its marginally better.

botton line. If NICE is doing this with LESS money than mta, NICE is doing an outstanding job.

Overall in my book NICE is getting a solid B- with no budget cut or not considerations. MTA was sort of a C+ overall. As said earlier its marginally better.

Right. People are not looking at the full scope. NICE was hired to run a more efficient bus service with less money and so far they're doing exactly what they were contracted to do. All of these people who are saying that we were "promised" no service changes for a year are talking out of their hole. They're screaming because of reduced frequencies when the MTA would have had NO buses on many routes. I understand people rely on the bus, I used to rely on the bus heavily, but even I know I shouldn't expect a bus company to run a bus just for me because I want to go somewhere. If they have to reduce frequencies so that there are more people on each bus then it's completely logical. Edited by N6 Limited

Well, these explanations doesn't justify why NICE didn't cut the n73/80/81 which should be gone to Peak Only in the first place, I see what they are trying to do is loosen up ridership so they could justify their next cuts coming calendar year 2013, however the main people who should get the blame is Edward Mangano and Peter Schmitt, the two people who should be voted out the next election cycle.

About the N80/N81, Peter Schmitt was probably behind the off hands approach to those lines. The Long Island Bus Riders Union needs to mention THAT to the media. "Why were those sparsely used routes spared?" The N73/74 got frequency reductions. From what I gather from the contract:

1)They can eliminate up to 6 low use routes in the first six months. Reducing routes to peak only periods isn't a full cut so I'm not sure how that's counted.

2) The service report card and budget must be reviewed and reported to Nassau County every Quarter. (or something like that)

3) Service cuts that are more than 25% of a route's service must be looked over and approved by the County Transit Board (whatever they're called). So technically they can probably reduce service up to 24% on routes as necessary, per quarter, without being bothered. (Except for politicians and the Long Island Bus Riders Union trying to get their names out there).

I saw the new route stickers on the bus signs.

They're made to cover the LIB route information rows. The route number is on the left side similar to how they are on the Bus Schedules. I think the lower case "N" was orange and the route number is blue. The destination under it in smaller all caps blue letters. Miscellaneous information on the lower right side in orange letters.

-Some signs on Old Country Road closer to the Wantagh Parkway already have "n24" stickers covering the N78/N79.

-NCC has some "n51" stickers saying "weekdays only".

-Oak Street has "n23" and "n27" stickers. They look something like this: (getting myself familiar with the new board)

------------------------------------------------------

n27

HEMPSTEAD-------------------Peak hours only

n23

---------------------------------Mid-day, nights

HEMPSTEAD-------------------------and weekends

Edited by N6 Limited

n27

HEMPSTEAD-------------------Peak hours only

n23

---------------------------------Mid-day, nights

HEMPSTEAD-------------------------and weekends

For some reason, I don't really like the smaller writing.

I wonder how will N27 turns around at Roslyn Station and how will N24/N78/N79 will turn around?

Click on the schedules and look at the maps though it's not clear how the N27 turns around. From what I remember. Railroad Avenue is probably wide enough to turn the N27 around.

Does anyone notice though that the last n79 of the night on Saturday Will Operate to Mineola
Yeah, the N79 does that now, they're keeping it in there.
I wonder how will N27 turns around at Roslyn Station and how will N24/N78/N79 will turn around?
Click on the schedules and look at the maps though it's not clear how the N27 turns around. From what I remember. Railroad Avenue is probably wide enough to turn the N27 around.

It looks like the N27 can cut through the parking lot and loop around.

It actually shows on the System Map and theN24, N78/N79 schedules how the buses turn around.

Edited by N6 Limited

Q23: I don't know why that bus isn't included on the N24 schedule as well. It just mentions it on the N79 schedule that it continues to Mineola.

It is on the N24 schedule, its the 11PM bus from Hicksville on Saturdays. On the N79 Schedule it says "The 10:25 [pm, from Walt Witman Mall] n79 will continue to Mineola as n24 Departing Hicksville at 11:00PM" Edited by N6 Limited

Letter: NICE bus cuts hurt Nassau students

http://www.newsday.c...dents-1.3634433

Nassau Community College students will be affected by the cuts that Veolia Transportation has presented ["NICE: Minimal impact in bus service changes," News, March 25]. Several lines will have services discontinued or reduced. For students at Nassau, that means more waiting, transfers and stress.

No one wants to pay more for anything, that's human nature. But we have to start funding the transit system at a proper level. The county needs to pay its fair share and allow the public to have a say in how the transit system operates, by giving riders voting power on the Transit Advisory Committee.

Adam Garfield, Stony Brook

Editor's note: The writer is a staff member for the New York Public Interest Research Group, an advocacy organization, who isbased at Nassau Community College.

These organizations don't do their research. Its obvious they don't ride the bus.