NICE Planned Service/Schedule Changes

tvega961

I did a search and found this one: http://www.hempsteadplains.com/miditran.htm

The southern portion is the N45, the northern portion is a combination of the N78/N79, N35, N22, and then Brush Hollow Road to Jericho.

This is EXACTLY the schedule I was looking. I didn't remember all the details except Uniondale Avenue and N43 is the first route that popped into my head.

Look on the right side "See new schedule for Bellmore-Levittown-Hicksville-Plainview and Syosset." The Bellmore to Hicksville segment is today's N50 except Mid-Island couldn't use Newbridge Road into Hicksville. It went crosstown on Hempstead Turnpike and made a left on Wantagh Avenue and another left onto Hicksville Road.

The Hicksville-Plainview and Syosset continued to Walt Whitman on Jericho Turnpike.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They have the new schedules up! Check them out: http://nicebus.com/Maps_and_Schedules/Bus_Maps_and_Schedules/index.html

This is EXACTLY the schedule I was looking. I didn't remember all the details except Uniondale Avenue and N43 is the first route that popped into my head.

Look on the right side "See new schedule for Bellmore-Levittown-Hicksville-Plainview and Syosset." The Bellmore to Hicksville segment is today's N50 except Mid-Island couldn't use Newbridge Road into Hicksville. It went crosstown on Hempstead Turnpike and made a left on Wantagh Avenue and another left onto Hicksville Road.

The Hicksville-Plainview and Syosset continued to Walt Whitman on Jericho Turnpike.

So basically today's routes are the result of 1960's franchise restrictions? And if NICE attempted to restructure them there would cries of "hurting riders" SMH

This is on Long Island Bus Rider's NICE Flier.

I corrected some of them because they made little error.

NICE Service Adjustment by type (Proposal April 2012 Changes

1. Elimination of off-peak weekday service.

A. N21 WILL OPERATE ONLY ON PEAK HOURS; for non-peak hours on the route covered by N21, riders are being told that the N27 with timed-transfer will operate on the route with connection to N20 Glen Clove.

B. N27 (Glen Clove to Hempstead) will operate peak-service only (ELIM) with some stops to 60 Charles Lindberg (but unclear, only during peak-times?)

C. N45 (Bellmore-Merrick) will operate during PEAK hours only.

D. N62: WILL OPERATE PEAK SERVICE ONLY (ELIM of off-peak)

2. Elimination of Saturday service

A. N45 (Bellmore-Merrick) NO SATURDAY SERVICE- (NICE Notes that "Saturday riders can rely on N43 along Uniondale Av to Roosevelt Field Mall; in Bellmore, the N51 but Weekdays only"?) ALSO NOTE, N45 SERVES NCC CAMPUS

B. N51 Saturday Service DISCONTINUED NOTE: N51 SERVES NCC CAMPUS

3. Reduction of Saturday/Weekend Service

A. N27 midday/night and weekend service will operate only between Glen Clove & Roslyn LIRR (ELIM of weekend-midday and night service to Hempstead- for riders who need this there is the N23 from Roslyn LIRR which will operate to Roosevelt Field Mall and Hempstead via N27 Route south of Hillside Av.

B. N78/N79 SATURDAY SERVICE will also change in unspecified ways.

4. Elimination of certain stops or specific segments of stops on a specific rout.

A. N16 will not make stops between Rockville Center LIRR and Silver Lake. (ELIM)

B. N16 will no longer run buses only between Hempstead and Roosevelt Field only (ELIM of a certain route that is part of N16.

5. Elimated routes.

A. N74 midday service DISCONTINUED, but N73 will continue.

b. N78 Midday service will be DISCONTINUED.

c. N24 No service to 60 Charles Lindbergh (social services) (ELIM)

6. Consolidation of Routes.

A. N31/N32 Midday service will be combined and will also be slower (every 20 minutes, up from every 15) (+5)

B. N48/N49 Midday service will be combined and slower (+30 Minutes>60 Minutes); N49 Sunday unspecified "minor schedule changes,"

C. N54/N55 midday service will combine these two routes and add 30 minutes wait to stops (+30 Minutes>60 minutes); Saturday service will run every 40 minutes.

D. N70/N71/N72: service on these routes will be combined and will run every 20 minutes instead of every 15 minutes (+5 minutes)

E. N73/N74 peak service on the combined route (not sure if it is combined now) will run every 40 minutes (up from 30 minutes) (+10 minutes)

F. N78/N79 Service between Hicksville LIRR and Mineola Intermodal Transit Center will not operate at all times; NICE notes: N24 will continue service between Hicksville LIRR and Mineola, stopping at Roosevelt Field and going up Old Country Rd to Mineola through Jamaica; but this means fewer buses to Roosevelt Field going to Mineola (my comment)

7. Longer waits on some bus routes (Peak or off-peak)

A. N4 Peak Service every 10 rather than every 7.5 minutes (+2.5 minutes)

B. N6 (Hempstead-Jamaica Local every 10 weekday, on midday and Saturday, every 12 minutes (+2 minutes) in both directions.

C. N24 (Jamaica-Roosevelt Field (Peak Servery every 15 instead of 10 (+5)

D. N15 Midday and Saturday every 20 minutes instead of every 15 (+5)

E. N19 +10 minutes Peak Hours, Midday service (+30 minutes>60 minutes) and Saturday service (+30 minutes>60 minutes)

F. N72: midday service to Babylon LIRR will run every 60 minutes instead of every 30 minutes (+30 minutes)

OTHER CHANGES

(A). Improved Connection with LIRR.

* N14 will be timed to meet LIRR Express train from Rockville Ceter to Penn Station; afternoon bus will be timed to meet returing train (every 20 to 25 minutes)

* N54: will also be timed to LIRR Amityville)

(:P. EXPRESS BUSES ADDED.

a. N6 EXPRESS (HEMPSTEAD TO 179TH STREET/HILLSIDE, JAMAICA)

b. N22X (EXPRESS SSERVICE TO 179TH ST/HILLSIDE, JAMAICA, through Roosevelt Field)

(C). STOP RESTORED.

a. Service to Mercy Medical Center restored (formelly N17)

(D). Change of route.

a. N43 will make stops on eliminated portion of N16 and be extended to Hempstead. CHANGE OF ROUTE FOR N43.

(E). Increased trips or added frequency of trips on specific routes

a. N16 (Hempstead-Jamaica) EB trips will have additional trips added bet. 7pm & 8pm.

b. N20/N21 (Glen Clove-Flushing) will have running time added.

c. N40/N41 (Hempstead-Mineola will have additional NB trips bet. 8am & 9am.

d. N43 (formerly Freeport-Roosevelt Field) midday and Saturday will operate every 30 minutes instead of every 45 (reduction in waiting time) and will add weekday service to Hempstead Transit Center.

e. N74 WB trips will be added at the start of service.

f. N49 Saturday service will be every 40 minutes rather than every 60 minutes. (decrease in wait-time by 20 minutes)

g. N55 will be extended to Amityville LIRR (presumably it's not now)

(F) Reconfigured Routes.

N2/N8: TWO ROUTES COMBINED; what will be lost: N8 will no longer travel along Franklin Avenue.

N43/N16 will pick up some of the routes of the N16 currently served by N16 between Hempstead & Roosevelt Field, but which sounds like it will be discontinued)

N73/N74 combined peak service.

N78/N79: N78 will be discontinued midday; N24 will do route of old N78/N79 between Roosevelt Field & Mineola.

N70N71/N72 will be combined.

N54/N55 (Amityville) will be combined.

N48/N49 midday service combined.

N31/N32 combined

(G): Ambiguous (not sure whether these represent deviations from current service)

N20 Peak Service (every 5-10- NOT SURE IF THIS IS A CHANGE); Midday and Saturday service; every 20 Minutes between Great Neck/Roslyn to Flushing

N20 Sunday service: every 30 minutes between Great Neck/Roslyn & Flushing.

N20 Hicksville "still every 60 minutes"

N25 will have "additional resources added (not sure what this means).

I did a search and found this one: http://www.hempsteadplains.com/miditran.htm

The southern portion is the N45, the northern portion is a combination of the N78/N79, N35, N22, and then Brush Hollow Road to Jericho.

They have the new schedules up! Check them out: http://nicebus.com/Maps_and_Schedules/Bus_Maps_and_Schedules/index.html

So basically today's routes are the result of 1960's franchise restrictions? And if NICE attempted to restructure them there would cries of "hurting riders" SMH

Absolutely correct. Even after the MTA took over and could make route changes, there weren't many route changes, except for eliminations. I don't know all of them but I remember Mid-Island ran Hicksville-Oyster Bay, and Hicksville-Syosset, continuing to Walt Whitman. They also ran Massapequa-Huntington via Farmingdale and Rt 110.

There used to be a lot of Jones Beach service provided by Hempstead Bus, Mid-Island, Stage Coach, and Jerusalem Avenue.

Veolia took over three months ago and knows nothing about county transit history, not that they have to know.

I don't know if remembering this info is good or bad. It's good that my memory is functioning but bad I'm old enough to remember.

Hmm, they have some misinformation on there.

Absolutely correct. Even after the MTA took over and could make route changes, there weren't many route changes, except for eliminations. I don't know all of them but I remember Mid-Island ran Hicksville-Oyster Bay, and Hicksville-Syosset, continuing to Walt Whitman. They also ran Massapequa-Huntington via Farmingdale and Rt 110.

There used to be a lot of Jones Beach service provided by Hempstead Bus, Mid-Island, Stage Coach, and Jerusalem Avenue.

Veolia took over three months ago and knows nothing about county transit history, not that they have to know.

I don't know if remembering this info is good or bad. It's good that my memory is functioning but bad I'm old enough to remember.

Its good! Thanks for providing the information.

Edited by N6 Limited

My thoughts about N79,

First good, Starts earlier for better selection if you want to go to Hicksville. More likely to be on time now due to the shorter run time.

Bad, New times are awful for business it was the same times for maybe the last 4-5 years I don't really remember. They got rid of an 11 PM run thats needed for people who work at shoprite the Pizzerias and other businesses that are open late. Also makes my traveling longer too.

I laugh at wimpy n17 service.

I just noticed that the N17 only has 4 stops! It's basically a Hospital shuttle. I guess that's why it isn't paired with the N16.

My thoughts about N79,

First good, Starts earlier for better selection if you want to go to Hicksville. More likely to be on time now due to the shorter run time.

Bad, New times are awful for business it was the same times for maybe the last 4-5 years I don't really remember. They got rid of an 11 PM run thats needed for people who work at shoprite the Pizzerias and other businesses that are open late. Also makes my traveling longer too.

Wow, the last N24 from Hicksville is at 8:22PM, that sucks for anyone that works late along Old Country Road, They may have to take the N24 to Hicksville, and Backtrack on the N22, or N49 if they're going to Hempstead.

As for the N78/N79 it seems like the N79 meets up with the N24, but the N78 is whatever.

Edited by N6 Limited

1)If I was coming from anywhere west of Mineola Intermodal Center, I'd rather not have to transfer to get to all of the stores passed East Gate Blvd. If I go shopping at the Source Mall, Best Buy, Walmart or go out to eat at Ruby Tuesdays, It's nice to know that I could take a N24 to Queens and not have to take a bus for 5 mins to the mall then wait at the mall for a N24.

2&3) What other choices are there? Yes the N70/N71/N72 are more direct, but if you miss a N72 you can take a N43. Or you can ride with your friend after a Concert to Roosevelt Field so they can catch their bus, and you stay on to Hempstead to Catch yours. Connecting more destinations adds passenger trips.

4)Don't forget the purpose of any bus route isn't always to get from one end to the other. How many people ride from Great Neck to Lynbrook on the N25? The N43 may be "redundant" in that it connects Freeport to Hempstead, but that's not the point. The point is another way to connect NCC to Hempstead iefficiently, while also providing benefits for riders along different segments of the route. A Direct ride from Hempstead to Target,the Lowes Theater, Applebees is going to generate trips. That's on top of students that will use it because of the elimination of N16 short trips. Higher Utilization of existing trips = lower cost.

1) You could make that argument for riders east of Hicksville, though. :P Keep in mind that there's no guarantee that there will be less turnover on the N24 at the RFM compared to the N78/79 at Hicksville.

2 & 3) Like I said, run the N78/79 to Hempstead (so they serve Old Country Road rather than the N24), and have it be the one to take over those extra runs.

Aside from that, there are no other routes I can think of for the extension, aside from the N43. Maybe the N31/32, but that's about it.

4) True, but like I said, another route could provide the same benefits. The N78/79 could provide direct access to places on Old Country Road, in addition to serving HTC-NCC riders.

Easy Pay express pulls additional money when the balance isn't low enough in my opinion. I got my Unlimited Cards from 179th street or Hempstead Bus Terminal.

Since the card refills automatically when it goes below (I believe) $20, essentially they always keep $20 of your money.

FUNNY ppl seem to listen to me everytime I give transit advice even in LI ohh DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE human stupidity!!!!!!! especially in LI when it comes to transit ppl are so clueless when I talk about transit they mistake me for an LI native literally!!!! none of em knew I lived in brooklyn.

I think almost anybody on this forum could sound like an LI native. It doesn't take much effort to read a bus map.

Select N6 runs are a much better idea again read my last posts to see why. It keeps N24 from becoming more unreliable. let a few N6 trips do it en rte to hicksville via old country rd.

Let me get this straight. The N24 will become more unreliable by going down Old Country Road, but the N6 (which is known for its heavy crowds) won't?

Leave the N6 alone. It's fine as a Jamaica-Hempstead route. Let some other line get a boost in ridership.

For the "combinations", the N70/71/72 have always been combined.

Also, the N4 is seeing reduced service between RVC and Jamaica, but there's increased service between Freeport and RVC (from 15 minutes to 10 minutes)

N43 is non stop from RFM to HTC. That's what happens in change of lost service on the n16.The n23/n27 should be combined in one, since I don't see the point ofThe N23 to be onBoth n23 and n27 schedules.Also, the 6X is running to the Jamaica Bus Terminal. The n17 looks like f****** crap with that schedule.:tdown:.

The n43 also runs to Hempstead Weekdays only.

I'm shocked

Anyone who rides NICE bus daily, let me know if you see them putting up new signs at Hempstead or Roosevelt Field for the new routes like the N23 that will be entering the terminals now. I'm wondering if now, they're gonna start making the new bus stop signs.

This may affect some of you, apparently the circus is in town:

http://nicebus.com/Passenger_Information/Service_Alerts/index.html

Service Alerts

n15 / n35 -- EXPECT DELAYS on Monday, March 19th from 12:00 p.m. until 1:30 p.m.

On Monday, March 19th between approximately 12:00 p.m. to 1:30 p.m., n15 buses from Hempstead will be detoured off of Clinton Road and Washington Avenue due to the arrival of the Circus Train. n15 buses will be rerouted along Franklin Avenue instead of Washington Avenue. n35 will run on Clinton Road and will turn right on to Commercial Avenue and cross railroad tracks at Quentin Roosevelt.

Service from Stewart Ave to Roosevelt Field will not be available.

n27 / n24 -- EXPECT DELAYS on Monday, March 19th from 1:30 p.m. until 4:30 p.m.

On Monday, March 19th between approximately 1:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m., n27 will be detoured off of Oak Street and Commercial Avenue. Buses will be rerouted on Westbury Blvd to Charles Lindbergh Blvd and then thru Nassau Community College to Stewart Avenue. n24 buses will run on Stewart Avenue and make a right on Selfridge and then travel thru Nassau Community College. They will then turn right onto Charles Lindbergh Blvd and terminate at 60 Charles Lindbergh Blvd.

Please allow for additional travel time on this afternoon to ensure that you arrive at your destination on time, as buses are expected to run late due to excessive traffic.

n16 -- EXPECT DELAYS on Monday, March 19th from 7:30 p.m. until 9:00 p.m.

On Monday, March 19th between approximately 7:30 p.m. and 9:00 p.m., n16 buses will be detoured off of Charles Lindbergh Blvd between Earl Ovington Blvd and Quentin Roosevelt Blvd due to a "Circus Animal Walk" from the Children's Museum to the Coliseum. n16 Buses will be rerouted thru the NCC campus and will exit the campus by taking a left on to Stewart Avenue. Buses will then turn left on to Quentin Roosevelt Blvd en route back to Westbury Blvd.

Please allow for additioinal travel time to ensure that you arrive at your destination on time.

n19 -- EXPECT DELAYS on Saturday, March 31st from 8:45 a.m. until 10:30 a.m.

On the morning of Saturday, March 31st, at 8:45 a.m., n19 buses will be detoured on Merrick Road between Park Blvd and Unqua Road, and along Unqua Road as well, due to a parade. The parade should be finished by 10:30 a.m., and we will resume normal service shortly thereafter. Buses will be rerouted during this time frame along Park Blvd. and Sunrise Highway.

Please allow additional travel time on this morning, to ensure you arrive at your destination on time.

1) You could make that argument for riders east of Hicksville, though. :) Keep in mind that there's no guarantee that there will be less turnover on the N24 at the RFM compared to the N78/79 at Hicksville.

2 & 3) Like I said, run the N78/79 to Hempstead (so they serve Old Country Road rather than the N24), and have it be the one to take over those extra runs.

Aside from that, there are no other routes I can think of for the extension, aside from the N43. Maybe the N31/32, but that's about it.

4) True, but like I said, another route could provide the same benefits. The N78/79 could provide direct access to places on Old Country Road, in addition to serving HTC-NCC riders.

Since the card refills automatically when it goes below (I believe) $20, essentially they always keep $20 of your money.

I think almost anybody on this forum could sound like an LI native. It doesn't take much effort to read a bus map.

Let me get this straight. The N24 will become more unreliable by going down Old Country Road, but the N6 (which is known for its heavy crowds) won't?

Leave the N6 alone. It's fine as a Jamaica-Hempstead route. Let some other line get a boost in ridership.

For the "combinations", the N70/71/72 have always been combined.

Also, the N4 is seeing reduced service between RVC and Jamaica, but there's increased service between Freeport and RVC (from 15 minutes to 10 minutes)

well my backup idea was extend N31/32 instead of n6

for the hicksville extension.