Punching buttons at Times Square

nostalgia

At Times Square, the shuttle operator has to push some buttons before leaving the station. I can't see the buttons' labelling because the stand is inside a cubicle on the platform. The only way to reach the buttons is from the cab.

What are the buttons? Are they connected to switching the current of traffic? I don't see any buttons at Grand Central but it looks like there is a control tower where dispatchers can see operations.

Thank you.:confused:

Im sorry unless they did MAJOR work over there last time i checked there was Gap Fillers there...

When was the last time you been there???

I was last there last Friday, February 17. I didn't see any gap fillers like those that were at South Ferry before the station was reconfigured.

Gap fillers work automatically. The GP light illuminated after the fillers extended. The operator pulled out of the station very slowly, the fillers felt the train movement, retracted, and the GP light went out. The operator then proceeded on signal indication.

Gap fillers work automatically. The GP light illuminated after the fillers extended. The operator pulled out of the station very slowly, the fillers felt the train movement, retracted, and the GP light went out. The operator then proceeded on signal indication.

Hmm if i recall the Gap Fillers buttons arent in the head out postion at Times Square...

Hmm if i recall the Gap Fillers buttons arent in the head out postion at Times Square...

Since I moved to New York last October, I've ridden the shuttle numerous times, particulary tracks 1 and 3 and every car and never saw gap fillers. I've seen gaps, but no fillers.

Yes, gap fillers are indeed under the platform, about 6-9 inches or so. They're invisible unless you actually look down into the gap, unlike Union Sq and SF loop.

I'll look for the gap fillers the next time I'm at Times Square. However, this doesn't answer the original question of what are the buttons in the control stand on each Times Square platform.

Although there doesn't seem to be a picture online, the gap fillers are not South Ferry/Union Square - type ones; they come out a few inches underneath the platform.

And yes, I know it's not an absolute source, but Wikipedia confirms this.

a better source:

IRT Times Square-Grand Central Shuttle: Times Square

quote form nycsubway:

The Times Square shuttle platform has a gap filler underneath the platform in a different style than South Ferry and 14th Street. These gap fillers are solid plates rather than the slotted type and are underneath the platform. To operate the gap fillers, the train operator pushes a button on a selector board.

At Times Square, the shuttle operator has to push some buttons before leaving the station. I can't see the buttons' labelling because the stand is inside a cubicle on the platform. The only way to reach the buttons is from the cab.

What are the buttons? Are they connected to switching the current of traffic? I don't see any buttons at Grand Central but it looks like there is a control tower where dispatchers can see operations.

Thank you.:confused:

Like Toto in the Wizard of Oz, I "pulled back the curtain" and looked inside the stand at Times Square on Track 1. The buttons are marked "In" and "Out" so there are gap fillers. There are buttons at the other end on a steel beam so the fillers can be operated from both ends. These fillers are NOTHING like 14th Street. At 14th Street, the fillers are even with the train. These fillers aren't even with the train and are BELOW floor level. This suggests their purpose is to catch people who lose their step coming off the train.

In the words of Emily Letella from Saturday Night Live nevermind. :P No longer confused.

I'll look for the gap fillers the next time I'm at Times Square. However, this doesn't answer the original question of what are the buttons in the control stand on each Times Square platform.

Was there last night the buttons controlling them are on the Side facing Times Square as i noted.. Not to hard not to see that black box....You cant see it if a train is there of course...

Was there last night the buttons controlling them are on the Side facing Times Square as i noted.. Not to hard not to see that black box....You cant see it if a train is there of course...

But you have to know the black box is there to look for it. I never looked for it. I thought the controls were only at one end.

But you have to know the black box is there to look for it. I never looked for it. I thought the controls were only at one end.

Sometimes if you can ya gotta look..

Never know what ya may find! Or heck just ask somebody...

• 5 weeks later...

I waited for the shuttle Saturday night at Times Square and wanted to see who operated the gap fillers. The motorman punched the "out" button for the fillers. The conductor at the other end opened the doors after looking at the monitors to ensure the fillers were out.

Note: The fillers don't come out for every car.

Archived