Bee Line Strike (its about to go down)

mark1447

The contract expires "midnight Feb 29". Does that mean if no agreement is reached, the strike will start at 0001 Feb 29? Or 0001 Mar 1?

Since Bee-Line doesn't run 24 hours, I presume that the end of the service day will be met, but if there is a strike, it would be after the last scheduled bus pulls in.

Since Bee-Line doesn't run 24 hours, I presume that the end of the service day will be met, but if there is a strike, it would be after the last scheduled bus pulls in.

From what I can tell, the last bus (a southbound 20) goes out of service at 01:54AM in the Bronx. It then has to deadhead to the depot(s). (how many does BL have anyway?)

Alternatives

Bx9 - Bronx/Yonkers border

BxM3 - South Broadway/McLean Avenue/Getty Square

Bx16 - Bronx/Pelham Manor border, Bronx/Mount Vernon border, Mundy Lane area, upper Boston Road

Bx16/Bx31/Bx34 - Bronx/Yonkers border

Bx26 - lower Boston Road

Bx30 - Boston Road

Yeah.......... Thats a good alternative only for those who live near the Bronx Border. Not a good alternative way further above, except Metro-North and the Peekskill Buses.

I didn't forget, they don't matter since the Bx7 and Bx10 aren't alternatives to the W8. The other routes can provide an alternative for some along other BL routes.

Yes it can be an alternative, but only for a few blocks. Maybe even Ludlow Street, if people can walk it.

Heres an update:

Westchester Bee-Line bus contract talks head into overnight | The Journal News | LoHud.com | LoHud.com

Yeah.......... Thats a good alternative only for those who live near the Bronx Border. Not a good alternative way further above, except Metro-North and the Peekskill Buses.

BxM3 is a good alternative for South Broadway (and the beginning of McLean Avenue) up to Getty Square

BxM3, won't do since they are only doing Pickups only heading to Manhattan. Unless the MTA were to allow people to get off in the Bronx. But even that, I'm not sure if people would want to pay 5.50, if they can just walk to 261st Street for the Bx9. I've done it many times, and its not that bad. Even tho there is a slight hill south of McLean/US9.

Another update, Bee-Line Service will continue to run today, while the folks in Tarrytown talk.

BxM3, won't do since they are only doing Pickups only heading to Manhattan. Unless the MTA were to allow people to get off in the Bronx. But even that, I'm not sure if people would want to pay 5.50, if they can just walk to 261st Street for the Bx9. I've done it many times, and its not that bad. Even tho there is a slight hill south of McLean/US9.

Another update, Bee-Line Service will continue to run today, while the folks in Tarrytown talk.

I'm talking about those going to Manhattan from South Broadway (and Getty Square). If they are not near the Bx9 the BxM3 is an alternative, cheaper than Metro North (and closer as well). Those above McLean may consider this option (if they can afford it).

BxM4C riders who live near or on McLean (between South Broadway and Central Avenue) could try walking to the BxM3 if they are up for it.

But since Bee Line is running, these alternatives currently aren't a big issue.

This could have foamer potential, imagine if they make Metro North free (Within their service area) if Bee Line goes on strike?!

I think most of the BL routes will be covered by Dollar Vans and private owned buses. (Like when Green Lines went on Strike)

I'm a north Yonkers resident ;) During the 2005 strike Metro didn't have anything like that. Also Metro only has but so many stops. Ex. living on Central Ave is no where near any of the 4 city of Yonkers stops. If I need to go from Yonkers to say White Plains or Scarsdale, I would have to take a train down to Harlem 125 to transfer to go north. To transfer to the New Haven line would mean 2 different commutation tickets since NH isn't cross-honoured with the other lines because of its weird zones. Commutation passes into Manhattan are ridiculously expensive.

We don't have dollar vans or any other buses, just the local cab companies. During that 2 and a half month ordeal the cabs charged a lot more than usual. Why not? we had nothing else, hence so many people carpooling and losing their jobs.

I work overnight at 242nd Van Cortlandt Park. I was soooo happy to see a BeeLine bus down on the street Thursday morning. Having to go down to 225th to go to Marble Hill to hope I can ride for free to Yonkers and then still have to walk up several large hills from there to get home, was not looking pretty. The BxM3 stops further up from 242, but only discharges customers.

There really aren't too many alternatives for BeeLine riders, barring the very southern edges of Yonkers, Mt V, and New Ro. I need these talks to wrap up successfully and soon.

I was on board bus 609 today, and i noticed that the strike flyer posted in the rider-information plexi had March 1st scratched out and replaced with the 15th. I remember reading that the strike was postponed for at least 2 weeks and in other places I read the strike was postponed infinitely. Anyone know of any truth behind the March 5th date?

This is the latest from the Westchester County government:

Buses Run As Contract Negotiations Continue Last Updated on Friday, 02 March 2012 10:53 Buses are running today and for the foreseeable future, as talks continue between Liberty Lines Transit, Inc., the private company that operates most public bus routes in the county, and the Transport Workers Union (TWU).

The current contract expired at midnight Feb. 29, but both sides agreed to "stop the clock" indefinitely.

County Executive Robert P. Astorino praised the decision of the union and management to take steps to avoid a strike.

"The 100,000 riders of the Bee-Line bus system awoke to good news this morning: all of our buses are running. There is no strike by bus drivers and mechanics. Beyond the riders, a strike would have put at risk critical public services provided by our hospitals and other businesses that have many employees who rely on the bus to get to work

"Following many hours of what has been described as fruitful negotiations, the two sides have announced they have 'stopped the clock' indefinitely. This will give them time to work further on a new contract. I know the union and management will continue to work to reach an agreement that is fair to both sides. I thank both sides for their efforts so far."

Archived