Bee Line Strike (its about to go down)

mark1447

The company that runs Westchester’s Bee-Line bus system continued contract talks with its drivers and mechanics last week as the current three-year agreement came within days of its end.

Jerry D’Amore, president of Liberty Lines, the bus company, said he was optimistic that an agreement would be reached before the contract expires at the end of Wednesday night, but that talks would likely go almost till the end.

“This is a very typical negotiation for us,” D’Amore said Friday evening. “We will settle probably on the 29th.”

D’Amore and a spokesman for the union representing the employees said they disagreed over the company’s requests that the workers accept a 3-year wage freeze and greater contributions to their health benefits.

Jim Gannon, the spokesman for Transit Workers Union Local 100, said the union membership is expected to vote in Yonkers this afternoon to authorize the negotiating committee to call a strike if necessary. He stressed, however, that there are no plans for a job action yet.

“That doesn’t mean that they’re going to strike,” he said of the vote. “That means they’ll give the committee the authorization to strike if things really get messy.”

The employees went on strike for seven weeks in 2005. But D’Amore said the current negotiations, which began early this month, are proceeding more like the subsequent contract talks in 2009, which drew almost no attention.

The contract covers 418 bus drivers and 154 mechanics. More than 100,000 passengers ride the buses each weekday.

Continues here:

Westchester Bee-Line company, union continue talks; contract ends Wednesday | The Journal News | LoHud.com | LoHud.com

Executive Board Authorizes Liberty Lines Strike | TWU Local 100

I hope none of you guys depend on Bee Lines...

I saw some people standing outside of the (MTA) building this morning there on Madison as I was walking down the street to head to my office around the corner. Are those guys part of this strike?? :confused: They had what appeared to be some sort of posters.

I saw some people standing outside of the (MTA) building this morning there on Madison as I was walking down the street to head to my office around the corner. Are those guys part of this strike?? :confused: They had what appeared to be some sort of posters.

VG8 don't worry. Only the BXM4c the White Plains-Yonkers-Midtown would be shut down if a strike occurs. I am sure all (correct me i am wrong) of the Yonkers-depot lines i.e The BXM1 BXM 2 BXM3 and BXM18 are unaffected since they are now a (MTA) Bus company. With that said, can't gurantee they won't be worker slow downs, i.e 'sickouts' in support though.

TWU and Occupy Wall Street were there earlier to "mic check" a (MTA) board meeting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67V6sbvFr8w/

VG8 don't worry. Only the BXM4c the White Plains-Yonkers-Midtown would be shut down if a strike occurs. I am sure all (correct me i am wrong) of the Yonkers-depot lines i.e The BXM1 BXM 2 BXM3 and BXM18 are unaffected since they are now a (MTA) Bus company. With that said, can't gurantee they won't be worker slow downs, i.e 'sickouts' in support though.

Oh I'm not worried at all... I'm sure the BxM1 BxM2 BxM3 and BxM18 to Riverdale should all be fine. :cool:

TWU and Occupy Wall Street were there earlier to "mic check" a (MTA) board meeting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67V6sbvFr8w/

Oh God... More Occupy Wall Street folks... :(

This could have foamer potential, imagine if they make Metro North free (Within their service area) if Bee Line goes on strike?!

I would imagine most Bee line customers cannot afford to ride Metro North on a regular basis, I feel for them as the ride on the 20 is a lonnggg ride from The BX to White Pains. And yea people actually ride the route end to end.

When they had a G.O with the (7) line a while back, the LIRR was free from Woodside to Flushing, I wonder if Metro North will do something similar for the stations within Bee line's service area.

I think most of the BL routes will be covered by Dollar Vans and private owned buses. (Like when Green Lines went on Strike)

I'm one of the few people who can say I ridden a MC9 on the Q40! :cool:

This could have foamer potential, imagine if they make Metro North free (Within their service area) if Bee Line goes on strike?!

I would imagine most Bee line customers cannot afford to ride Metro North on a regular basis, I feel for them as the ride on the 20 is a lonnggg ride from The BX to White Pains. And yea people actually ride the route end to end.

When they had a G.O with the (7) line a while back, the LIRR was free from Woodside to Flushing, I wonder if Metro North will do something similar for the stations within Bee line's service area.

I think most of the BL routes will be covered by Dollar Vans and private owned buses. (Like when Green Lines went on Strike)

I'm one of the few people who can say I ridden a MC9 on the Q40! :cool:

The (MTA) did not do it during the last strike in 2005. I doubt they will do it now while we still in tough economic times.

I did remember the (MTA) adding and increasing service on Northern Bronx routes that are near the Yonkers, Mt. Vernon or Pelham Township borders.

i.e BX7, BX9, BX10, BX16, BX31, BX34 and BX39. Meaning they add a few more buses and also adding artics to say routes like the BX7 that don't normally use them. That the best that will happen.

Who ever changed the title, I appreciate it!

I only depend on BL, when head to Westchester a few times during the week, even tho i don't live in there. Hope for the best!

Maybe increased Metro-North service, and as mentioned, extra busses, but I don't think free is the way to go or paying commuters on MNCRR would be annoyed as heck...

That could work, but won't help for those who live far from a Railroad station.

To bad the (MTA) can't help a little, for routes that cross the border line or near. Such as the BX16 in Pelham.

Alternatives

Bx9 - Bronx/Yonkers border

BxM3 - South Broadway/McLean Avenue/Getty Square

Bx16 - Bronx/Pelham Manor border, Bronx/Mount Vernon border, Mundy Lane area, upper Boston Road

Bx16/Bx31/Bx34 - Bronx/Yonkers border

Bx26 - lower Boston Road

Bx30 - Boston Road

Alternatives

Bx9 - Bronx/Yonkers border

BxM3 - South Broadway/McLean Avenue/Getty Square

Bx16 - Bronx/Pelham Manor border, Bronx/Mount Vernon border, Mundy Lane area, upper Boston Road

Bx16/Bx31/Bx34 - Bronx/Yonkers border

Bx26 - lower Boston Road

Bx30 - Boston Road

GreatOne you forget about the BX7 and BX10 at Riverdale Ave/262nd (Mt. Saint Vincent College) as well.

GreatOne you forget about the BX7 and BX10 at Riverdale Ave/262nd (Mt. Saint Vincent College) as well.

I didn't forget, they don't matter since the Bx7 and Bx10 aren't alternatives to the W8. The other routes can provide an alternative for some along other BL routes.

Archived