What bus would you order?

(Let's pretend) Mike Setzer came up to you asked your opinion on wether NICE should go with Orion for the new buses this summer, or... What bus would you pick to come into Nassau County?

I'd probably go with C40LF (if they had enough parts to build them after the (MTA) order) or go with MTS.

(Let's pretend) Mike Setzer came up to you asked your opinion on wether NICE should go with Orion for the new buses this summer, or... What bus would you pick to come into Nassau County?

I'd probably go with C40LF (if they had enough parts to build them after the (MTA) order) or go with MTS.

If it was up to me, I'd order 75 new NABI CNG 40-LFW 3Gs and give the leased MTA units back instead of retiring the Orion Vs. The NABI CNG 40-LFW 3Gs I can see doing well in Long Island.

I would say "Use the buses you have now until Novabus Comes out with their LFS CNG. Then demo it for a month, if its a success, buy about 40 instead or shit-rions.

The problem with waiting is that the 5's need to be replaced and are becoming unreliable.

Are the garages and garge doors at MF & RVC big enough to accommodate double deckers?

No, but there are parking lots in the back outside. Double deckers could enter through the back.

And also, everywhere around Long Island, there are low-hanging power cables and overpasses that double deckers wouldn't make. I just don't like the idea and don't see it being right to get DDs.

No, but there are parking lots in the back outside. Double deckers could enter through the back.

How would the buses be serviced if they can't fit inside?

And also, everywhere around Long Island, there are low-hanging power cables and overpasses that double deckers wouldn't make. I just don't like the idea and don't see it being right to get DDs.

I posted the specs somewhere from ABC companies, the height of their double deckers are 13' 1". The average tractor trailer with a box van needs a clearance of 13' 5", so if a tractor trailer fits so will the double deckers, so if you've seen a tractor trailer on the road a double decker can use that road. If we are talking about busy routes on busy roads, the double decker is fine, we're not talking about sending these bad boys down residential side streets. Obviously NICE would have to check some LIRR bridge heights...

Servicing buses outside? In the winter, yea, probably not!

However, I'm pretty inside MF (and I think RVC) are big enough inside to accommodate the DD's. The garage doors/entrances (might) have to be adjusted (if they are not large enough already).

I'd suggest this:

-Retire Orion V's for public auction.

-Retain Orion VII #1700-1799.

-Return Orion VII #1800-1839 to the (MTA).

-Test and Order Orion E10-3G.

-Test and Order New Flyer DE60LFA or Alexander Dennis Enviro500 for high-ridership routes.

That's why NICE is considering double deck busses, could be an Alexander Dennis Enviro because of their love of such busses.

The LFA was replaced by the LFR BRT and the Xcelsior, and double deckers almost cost as much as artics these days.

Archived