Random Thoughts Thread - Nassau Inter-County Express (NICE)

User

Yesterday's commute was a nightmare...

That n6 is absolutely horrible... I think that 12 minute headways during the day is horrible..

I get on the 11:00 Jamaica n6 out of HTC and by Westminster, we are crush loaded with no room on the bus... and we kept dropping off at every stop. And then we got to Elmont Rd (10 mins late btw) and there is literally 20 people waiting for the n6...

We were supposed to be due 179 @ 11:43 and we didn't get there until 11:57..

Going home wasn't as bad, but was really uncomfortable..

I was waiting at 169 @ 8pm and teh 8:04 comes and all the seats are gone and there are quite a few standees from 165.. so the bus is completely crushed (worse than the n6 I took to Jamaica) and it is literally like this all the way to Elmont Rd (we didn't stop until then.)

I get to HTC @ 8:50 (only 2 mins late at least) and as im waiting for the 9:00 Long Beach n15, I see 3 HTC bound n6s coming in behind around 8:57. This route bunches up worse than the MTA routes :o

I think something should be done about the traffic and the lights on Hempstead Tpke... Idk how none of the lights coordinate (one will be red, next will be green, next will be red, I thought this was a Nassau thing in general, but I don't really see those occurrences around WH & Lakeview..) and I think midday headways should be 8 or 10 minutes, not 12.

EDIT : As I'm reading the Sept 1 schedule for the n6/n6x seems like NICE has read my mind. Middays, headways are 10 mins...

but at night.... headways are 15 mins after 7:30 (currently, it is 10 mins until 8pm, where it is 15). (weekdays ofc).

The traffic light situation seems to be better on north-south roads (Route 107 is a good example) but these see more traffic than most of the east-west roads.  The N20 can get from Hicksville to Old Westbury in less than ten minutes if the LIE and Northern State interchanges are clear.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That n6 is absolutely horrible... I think that 12 minute headways during the day is horrible..

I get on the 11:00 Jamaica n6 out of HTC and by Westminster, we are crush loaded with no room on the bus... and we kept dropping off at every stop. And then we got to Elmont Rd (10 mins late btw) and there is literally 20 people waiting for the n6...

I was waiting at 169 @ 8pm and teh 8:04 comes and all the seats are gone and there are quite a few standees from 165.. so the bus is completely crushed (worse than the n6 I took to Jamaica) and it is literally like this all the way to Elmont Rd (we didn't stop until then.)

I get to HTC @ 8:50 (only 2 mins late at least) and as im waiting for the 9:00 Long Beach n15, I see 3 HTC bound n6s coming in behind around 8:57. This route bunches up worse than the MTA routes :o

I think something should be done about the traffic and the lights on Hempstead Tpke... Idk how none of the lights coordinate (one will be red, next will be green, next will be red, I thought this was a Nassau thing in general, but I don't really see those occurrences around WH & Lakeview..) and I think midday headways should be 8 or 10 minutes, not 12.

EDIT : As I'm reading the Sept 1 schedule for the n6/n6x seems like NICE has read my mind. Middays, headways are 10 mins...

but at night.... headways are 15 mins after 7:30 (currently, it is 10 mins until 8pm, where it is 15). (weekdays ofc).

The crowding is the main reason I avoid the n6 and it has always been packed. In fact its been so long since I've been on it, the last time we were on it we had the Cummins powered V's and I had one of the 200s and it was jam packed. This route has been needing artic buses for the longest time. The traffic lights are serious problem, one that I have brought up to NICE on numerous occasions. But they are out the control of NICE, and are maintained by the NYS DOT on State Roads and the County on other roads. The NYS DOT signals happen to be the worst. It sounds like Hempstead Turnpike (NYS 24) is similar to Jericho Turnpike (NYS 25). For instance all the lights in Floral Park are out of sync, whenever I'm on the n24 we wind up stopping at nearly every one. Even if we leave Jamaica on time, we're 10-15 min in the hole by Mineola. In Suffolk County many of the lights have a sensor to turn green for emergency vehicles, I would like to see such a system in place in Nassau and be used by both emergency vehicles and buses. Traffic signal priority is now being used in NYC, and it needs to expand to all the major roads with the busiest bus lines. It is a win-win situation, buses move faster, cost savings in operation, and passengers are happier. But it's an uphill battle when the average politician cares more about the motorist than the bus rider. And the motorists dont think they should have to wait for buses. But at least have the friggin lights in sync. Having to stop every other minute results in traffic jams, extra pollution, and wear and tear on all vehicles. What is the benefit of the current traffic signal setup...I don't know. A central computer should control all the lights so traffic is moved along as quickly and safely as possible.  

The trip through Queens seems to take forever on the 22 and 24 compared to the 4 and Merrick Boulevard.

That's because the trip is actually longer. The northern part of Queens bulges out to about 260 something street.   On the N4 Hook Creek Blvd is around 246th st

That's why the N6X skipping Elmont Road was a dumb idea. They figured that the N1 would pick up the slack, but there are many going between Elmont Road and HTC also. 

If the buses are going to 15 min headways after 7:30pm that's going to suck. Sometimes If I'm in the city If its getting too close to the end of rush hour, I won't head back to Jamaica until later when the bus is less crowded, because it's crazy coming from Jamaica in the evening. 

N6 rules:

Rule 1. Get off the (F) at 169th street, If you don't you may not be able to board the bus!

Rule 2. If the line is long, walk to 165th street & Hillside and get on there, if the bus is extremely late just go to the bus terminal if you want a seat. It is definitely possible for the bus to be SRO from the terminal, and it still has to pick up at the subway!

Some people still get off at 179th street, I've been on buses that left them behind! Some drivers still stop, and enough people shuffle for them to board, but after that everyone else is screwed. Someone is usually passed at Hillside & Francis Lewis, Jamaica & Francis Lewis, and several people are generally screwed at Springfield Blvd. The N6X stopping at Springfield is going to help during rush hour, but outside of rush hour it's still a problem. 

The crowding is the main reason I avoid the n6 and it has always been packed. In fact its been so long since I've been on it, the last time we were on it we had the Cummins powered V's and I had one of the 200s and it was jam packed. This route has been needing artic buses for the longest time. The traffic lights are serious problem, one that I have brought up to NICE on numerous occasions. But they are out the control of NICE, and are maintained by the NYS DOT on State Roads and the County on other roads. The NYS DOT signals happen to be the worst. It sounds like Hempstead Turnpike (NYS 24) is similar to Jericho Turnpike (NYS 25). For instance all the lights in Floral Park are out of sync, whenever I'm on the n24 we wind up stopping at nearly every one. Even if we leave Jamaica on time, we're 10-15 min in the hole by Mineola. In Suffolk County many of the lights have a sensor to turn green for emergency vehicles, I would like to see such a system in place in Nassau and be used by both emergency vehicles and buses. Traffic signal priority is now being used in NYC, and it needs to expand to all the major roads with the busiest bus lines. It is a win-win situation, buses move faster, cost savings in operation, and passengers are happier. But it's an uphill battle when the average politician cares more about the motorist than the bus rider. And the motorists dont think they should have to wait for buses. But at least have the friggin lights in sync. Having to stop every other minute results in traffic jams, extra pollution, and wear and tear on all vehicles. What is the benefit of the current traffic signal setup...I don't know. A central computer should control all the lights so traffic is moved along as quickly and safely as possible.  

Hempstead Tpke used to be in sync all the way down, You would be able to go the From Elmont to Hempstead with the longest wait being Franklin Ave. But now I think they intentionally make signals out of sync for "traffic calming" and "safety".  Traffic signal priority would be great, I think it would increase bus ridership, especially in NYC as almost 50% of NYCT bus trips are stationary.

Edited by N6 Limited

Aren't the headways already 15 min after 7:30pm? I agree there needs to be more buses on the n6 in evenings. Often the thinking is on weekends and evenings ridership drops off alot, but that drop isn't as big as it used to be. I looked at the new schedules and it does appear the headways have been lengthened eastbound out of Jamaica after 7:30pm to 15 min instead of 8pm. Seems there are more going west, probably because "reverse peak" numbers are usually higher. Perhaps they saw ridership levels drop at that point, I dunno, but if you must take the n6 make sure you get on one before 7:30pm. Otherwise take the 22 or 24 to Mineola or RF and transfer to other buses. The n6 needs artics and thats the bottom line. No matter how many buses they put on the line they will be packed. I once remember seeing 3 crush loaded n6's in Jamaica just minutes apart. 

Aren't the headways already 15 min after 7:30pm? I agree there needs to be more buses on the n6 in evenings. Often the thinking is on weekends and evenings ridership drops off alot, but that drop isn't as big as it used to be. I looked at the new schedules and it does appear the headways have been lengthened eastbound out of Jamaica after 7:30pm to 15 min instead of 8pm. Seems there are more going west, probably because "reverse peak" numbers are usually higher. Perhaps they saw ridership levels drop at that point, I dunno, but if you must take the n6 make sure you get on one before 7:30pm. Otherwise take the 22 or 24 to Mineola or RF and transfer to other buses. The n6 needs artics and thats the bottom line. No matter how many buses they put on the line they will be packed. I once remember seeing 3 crush loaded n6's in Jamaica just minutes apart. 

They are 10 mins until 8pm.. then it is 15 mins. Evening ridership doesn't drop as it seems, but on weekends yeah, at least on weekends I can fit on the bus if i get on at 179

Agreed, they need artics on the n6. Perhaps we will see that next year when they get that additional budget from NYCDOT. I know theyre going to replace older buses first but who knows: maybe there is some wiggle room to get a few artics (perhaps second hand?).

There is no "safety" with the lights being absolutely godawful when people have to speed to catch lights or (I've seen this happen way too many times) a bus stop is right beside a traffic light and people abruptly merge into the other lane, turn FROM the outside lane around the bus to turn, or worse yet, CUT A MOVING BUS OFF just to make the light.  If traffic isn't an issue on a route, odds are the lights will be.

There is no "safety" with the lights being absolutely godawful when people have to speed to catch lights or (I've seen this happen way too many times) a bus stop is right beside a traffic light and people abruptly merge into the other lane, turn FROM the outside lane around the bus to turn, or worse yet, CUT A MOVING BUS OFF just to make the light.  If traffic isn't an issue on a route, odds are the lights will be.

Drivers don't "have to" speed to catch the light, dangerous idiots decide to speed to catch the light when they see it turning yellow instead of waiting.  Do you know how many people I see in a day I see turning after an arrow or WAY after their light has turned red, so much so that te light is green in my direction...  You are really running a red light if oncoming traffic gets a green while you are still going.  But Nassau and Suffolk is full of idiots who feel they are rightfully first than everyone else and everyone must wait for them.  It is a combination of decades of horrible parenting and the cops allowing this behavior.  Shit, I saw two incidents involving Suffolk Police that made me sick, one was in front of me at a light I hear this squeeling after their light had turned red, some idiot either didn't see the red light or was going to run a light that had been red for a while but saw the cop at the intersection.  This person cam to such an abrupt stop that he spun out halfway into the intercession, his car was sideways into the lane next to him and there was smoke all over from his tires squealing  I was like "oh boy, you did this in front of a cop!"  When our light turned green I thought for sure the cop was going to make sure the guy wasn't drunk, on drugs, having a medical condition, ect...  NOPE!  The cop goes the other way and doesn't do anything!  What if this driver was drunk, high, having a medical condition, (or just a dangerous idiot who didn't see the light or likes to run red lights but saw the cop) and killed someone after that!?!  Next was the 4th of July, I'm coming back from going out east on Montauk highway on Copiague or Lindenhurst, traffic is backed up, there was a 2 or 3 car accident, not too bad but blocking the eastbound left lane and there looks like there is going to be another accident with people not paying attention, speeding and almost hitting the disabled cars.  There is a Suffolk cop that car was marked "COPE" a few cars up, (traffic is backed up on both sides) this cop refuses to do anything when the people involved in the accident are motioning for him, he drives past them, a guy involved in the accident runs over to him as he passes them and knocks on the cops window...  The cop and the motorist are both motioning with their hands like they are arguing (I cannot hear what is going on) then the cop makes a motion with his head like he is pissed off, puts his red lights on, pulls a u-turn and gets behind the cars that were in the accident.  Are you kidding?  This guy saw an accident with no officers on the scene and saw dangerous cars swerving out of the way as they came up on the accident.  As an officer of the law isn't it your duty to at least see if everyone is alright or needs immediate medical attention, maybe sit there with your lights on, make everyone get on the sidewalk so they are not seriously hurt with traffic passing?  Close off the lane and wait for the responding units to get their, NOT just ignore an accident even if you may be in a different unit or division!?!  AND THIS IS THE HIGHEST PAID POLICE DEPARTMENT IN THE COUNTRY IN ACTION!!!

Theyd better make the bus stops before the traffic lights then, right on the street. If theyre stuck in traffic for that long then they dont even hold up traffic.

Anyone planning on taking the first n4X?

Theyd better make the bus stops before the traffic lights then, right on the street. If theyre stuck in traffic for that long then they dont even hold up traffic.

If the bus stops were before intersections they might have to stop while the light is green then get stuck behind the red light further delaying buses while they had to wait for the light to turn green (then wait for traffic stopped at the light to merge back into the lane and pass the intersection), imagine this multiple times on a route and how much it could really delay the bus...  Whereas stopping after the intersection they can just go whenever traffic allows...

Honest to god Brett, what was wrong with his post deserved a downvove?  I asked, and he answered...

I am since I have to join LION protest in Merrick that day, so taking n4x to n19 will be perfect for me. Properly in evening, since I have to go to Flushing Meadow Park meeting in morning.

I'm actually thinking about taking it the opposite way, n19 to the first westbound n4x, just because I think it'll be pretty cool to take the first bus...  ...but then again it is a Sunday and will really have no way to go using the n4x so I'll probably be lazy and just the n4x on Tue....  Although I'll probably be really lazy on tue and take the LIRR.  I kind of want to see what levels the n4x gets before I take it, i don't want to be dealing with crowded buses.  Plus I'm sure the first few days the n4x will be bogged down with people who don't know its express making the bus stop at stops it's not supposed to stop at....

Maybe Burrstone or Hound can answer this for me..

Sometimes when I'm on an N/3G that's been stopped for a minute or so, I hear the air brakes (as if it was pulling into a terminal and the bus operator released/activated the air brake) and the engine revs drop.  What is happening?

Like a rapid release of air?  If that's what it is all air brakes have a system governing the amount of air in the system, if there is not enough air in the system it will kick in and make more, if there is too much air in the system the system releases air...  You will hear all types of trucks and buses with air brakes make that shhhh (or swish) sound when releasing air...   if that's not what you're talking about I have no idea especially if it is specific to the N/3G as I have never driven one...

The n4x runs weekdays only, so you can't take it on a Sunday. Your first day to take it would be Tuesday anyway.

Oh...  Well then, it looks like the universe is coming together for me.  :D

Edited by Burrstone

Like a rapid release of air?  If that's what it is all air brakes have a system governing the amount of air in the system, if there is not enough air in the system it will kick in and make more, if there is too much air in the system the system releases air...  You will hear all types of trucks and buses with air brakes make that shhhh (or swish) sound when releasing air...   if that's not what you're talking about I have no idea especially if it is specific to the N/3G as I have never driven one...

Oh...  Well then, it looks like the universe is coming together for me.  :D

I'll try to look for a vid, it's something I've noticed with the NGs and after.  It's a bit hard to explain, but it's more quicker than the air brakes being put on.

Like a quick release, a quick sound like the driver pulled or released the parking brake?  If I'm thinking of what you describing it is the system releases air which also expels moisture and debris from the system.  But we could be talking about two different things here...  

I am since I have to join LION protest in Merrick that day, so taking n4x to n19 will be perfect for me. Properly in evening, since I have to go to Flushing Meadow Park meeting in morning.

So Brett, you ask whos gonna take the first n4x and as soon as someone responds you downvote em? Thats not very NICE.

So Brett, you ask whos gonna take the first n4x and as soon as someone responds you downvote em? Thats not very NICE.

I asked if anyone was planning on taking the first n4x, it was me...   :D   I'm still deciding if I'm going to take the n4x Tuesday or the LIRR, probably the LIRR.

Anyone planning on taking the first n4X?