Random Thoughts Thread - Nassau Inter-County Express (NICE)

User

I not sure what happened tonight (Wed night), but the N6 to Hempstead was PACKED around 8:30pm or so.( Mind you, that's when the route is on 15 min headway) There were tons of people waiting, People walked to the terminal and 165th street & Hillside to make sure they got on the bus. 

The bus was so packed, 168th st stop was flagged! Flag city until Nassau County. 

I did see what appeared to be a broken down bus in the eastbound direction on Hillside Ave , I forgot where though, might have been between 169th and 179th or might have been closer to 188th.

Also, I heard the route was packed all evening even the express.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I was Flushing bus stop informing bus riders about LIBRU meeting, one of passenger told me 6:15 n20l Limited Hicksville never shows up every day.

I find it hard to believe that that happens every day. Also, when only one person (which we don't even know) says it I'm having an even harder time to believe it.

Edited by Vistausss

I find it hard to believe that that happens every day. Also, when only one person (which we don't even know) says it I'm having an even harder time to believe it.

It not only one passenger. Only one told me and other passengers waiting for n20/n21 agreeded.

Today after helping with Q70 at LGA, I made to 12:35pm n21 Glen Clove after stopping at 109th precint.

There was nice female driver helping new male driver. She was very kind to everyone.

Even she even told new bus driver that NICE Operation booklets has SO MANY DIRECTION MISTAKE. No wonder how new bus drivers get lost. Most passengers don't help new drivers at all.

Nah, it would be nice if getting my masters there but in retrospect I probably wouldn't have time with school and work to fit that in on the side.  According to seethroughNY Stony Brook bus drivers make about $68,000, not too bad, is hound still looking for a job? lol

Only if I can use you for a reference.

There really hasn't been an outcry for service in those areas for years. Back in MSBA times, you did have the N67 running between Glen Cove and Oyster Bay, but that was discontinued in 1975.

Which is quite weird because they do have an outcry for more LIRR service for years (along the Oyster Bay branch I mean). Especially the students. So you'd think they want bus service too...

Why was the n67 discontinued btw? Low ridership because of no outcry?

Which is quite weird because they do have an outcry for more LIRR service for years (along the Oyster Bay branch I mean). Especially the students. So you'd think they want bus service too...

Why was the n67 discontinued btw? Low ridership because of no outcry?

When you move to Long Island you will see how some people, especially from certain parts of the Island (and different social classes) view the LIRR V. Public transit.  Sure you can explain it, but I won't take out of discovering it. lol  "The LIRR is simply not public transportation darling, it's the LIRR darling, we're not those poor people who take the bus.  Are we still on for tennis this week?  Your country club or mine?  We can meet at the RR station.  Say should we take my benz or your land rover?" lol

I love the "Long Island House Wife,"  It's such a challenging career, seriously you see these people walking around whatever community you live in wiyj such an attitude (and all they really did with their life is marry someone with a good salary), or driving their soccer mom combat machine (aka mini van or suv) that is too large for them that they cannot control.  be warned, if you see them in a parking and you are going in opposite directions they automatically have the right of way to cut in front of to get the parking spot they want.  

Then you see them in the store talking to other Long Island House Wives in any given store you go to and they all make being a housewife, dropping the kids off at school, or soccer, shopping, registering little susy for dance class etc. seem like the most challenging job in the world. lol  ...and Joel Up Front is right, nothing better disturb there piece of heaven, keep in mind whatever area these people live in is the best if the live on the north shore they look down on the south shore if they live on the north shore "they can't afford a place on the ocean in Nassau County (south shore)..."  If you live in Babylon you look down on Huntington, if you live in Huntington and people live in Babylon, well you have a good laugh about it with your neighbors in Huntington...    If you live in Southern Nassau County and someone says they just bought  place in Massapequa someone would say to you "...not East Massapequa, right?!  Because your kids will go to the Amityville School District."  If you told them you lived in Amity Harbor (nice area) or East Massapequa but were planning on sending your kids to private school, or didn't even have kids people would still look down at you because you are in the Amityville School District.   lol  It really is hilarious...

Edited by Burrstone

It's more of a not in my back yard thing, not the roads...  Look at how some of the roads buses like the n79 take, heck look at some of the roads Suffolk and Huntington take in northport.  On the north shore it is more a "rural setting" but that doesn't mean there should be no buses because no bus service would exist anywhere on the north shore (HART, NICE, or SCT).

Golden Shore CAVEpeople would rather see Long Island bombed than have "poor people shuttles" return to their "glorious" corner of the Island.

Mid-Island transit ran a route from Hicksville to Oyster Bay many years ago & MSBA tried a route from Hicksville to Syosset, but was discontinued. The N67 was a former Hendrickson Bus Co. route taken over by MSBA ,along with the other private Nassau operators in 1973. It was discontinued in 1976 due to low ridership. It was even a "short fare" route.

I saw on the news that people on SNAP/"food stamps" in Nassau/Suffolk has- almost doubled with the "great recession" which made me wonder if people having to rely on the bus increased...

...this made me wonder about the social stigma of food stamps of and taking the bus...

This also made me wonder if given the choice would people on Long Island rather take the bus or pay with food stamps at the grocery store, if they had to make a choice in a rough situation...  That is a survey I would love to know the results of, especially on Long Island!

Edited by Burrstone

This also made me wonder if given the choice would people on Long Island rather take the bus or pay with food stamps at the grocery store, if they had to make a choice in a rough situation...  That is a survey I would love to know the results of, especially on Long Island!

Yuki, your help is needed! :D

I had close call with 4pm n27 Hempstead when I was coming off 15:50 Oyster Bay train at Roslyn Station.

Before I cross train track illegaly at Railroad Crossing, I didn't want to take chance missing n27 Hempstead bus because it was right in front of me when I made mad run and made it to n27 bus because this male driver came to Roslyn Station 6 minutes early from 4:26pm.

If it wasn't for Oyster Bay train, I have missed TAC Meeting.

Edited by FamousNYLover