Random Thoughts Thread - Nassau Inter-County Express (NICE)

User

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think there will be but they have to start investing. NICE could use a bigger budget and SCT could use a lot more money. SCT service is quite... crap. If they both get more money then they could actually make a whole lot of difference when operating as one.

I've gotten the 3 way transfer going westbound, but never eastbound. Heck, a subway-LIRR-NICE trip (eastbound) doesn't take a transfer even if the two ends are less than 2 hours apart, if the NICE route in question doesn't serve a subway station.

Back in 2010, after the huge service cuts to (MTA) services including Long Island Bus, the (MTA) wanted to start consolidating Long Island Bus into part of it's Regional Bus Operations. That would've meant shared equipment, shared services and so on. For a while, between after the service cuts and before the 2011 decision to drop the (MTA) from Nassau County's bus system, there was speculation that the (MTA) would also bid on Suffolk Transit to operate over there as well. The (MTA) knows, especially from the Long Island Railroad, how much of it's ridership comes from Long Island. If a united system were to come about in Nassau and Suffolk County, I wouldn't put it past the (MTA) to bid.

I wouldn't go so far to say SCT service is crap. From what I've seen at places like Sunrise Mall and Walt Whitman Mall, its more reliable than NICE, and the buses sound better.

It would have been very interesting if that had happened (sharing equipment and services) AND Nassau still decided to cancel their contract.

I think that was a very move on part of the (MTA)...  Share service and equipment, so you get Nassau's equipment, plus funds to buy equipment in the future...  Now you get Nassau's State and Federal money for transit service...  Little by little, start cutting service to Nassau citing that Nassau isn't contributing what you feel is the fair share.  Does anyone feel that is not what would have happened?  It's kinda legal stealing, you get equipment and money that the State and Federal Governments meant to serve the residents of Nassau.

Any reasoning?

There would be too much bickering between the County's over funding and service.  Each would want to pay the least and gain the most.

But I will say this...

Suffolk has always been anti-MTA despite the rumors from SCT B/O's every week that the (MTA) was taking over. Now that Veolia is in the picture it has a stronger possibility(anythings a stronger possibility of never lol).  If you google it you will find evidence that Veolia actually bid on some service that EBT (one of the company's that operates SCT lines) won this year, obviously Veolia was outbid or was turned down by Suffolk County.  

Suffolk County Officials have publicly said they are intrigued by the deal Nassau has with Veolia and will be "watching it closely."  I personally feel Suffolk will "watch" NICE throughout the orginal 5 year contract (ending 12/31/15) and either award all the routes to Veolia and have some type of rebranding of the SCT system.  OR award some of the routes to Veolia.  There has been talk of turning the S1 into SBS type of service, i believe they are looking to put together funding to test it for a year(?) I wouldn't be surprised if that "test" was awarded to Veolia.

I don't think it is likely (but I wouldn't it out) all it takes is a company like Veolia to convince both Counties that they could benefit from a combined service.  

No, SBS will not happen. The nay-sayers have already spoken in that other recent topic ;)

But yeah, Veolia could do SCT. I mean, "SCT, operated by Veolia". SCT is quite crappy in most areas right now. Veolia could improve that. It's not like anything would change drastically other than better service. It's still SCT, just with a new operator which has been proven an improvement in Nassau.

It would have been very interesting if that had happened (sharing equipment and services) AND Nassau still decided to cancel their contract.

I think that was a very move on part of the (MTA)...  Share service and equipment, so you get Nassau's equipment, plus funds to buy equipment in the future...  Now you get Nassau's State and Federal money for transit service...  Little by little, start cutting service to Nassau citing that Nassau isn't contributing what you feel is the fair share.  Does anyone feel that is not what would have happened?  It's kinda legal stealing, you get equipment and money that the State and Federal Governments meant to serve the residents of Nassau.

There would be too much bickering between the County's over funding and service.  Each would want to pay the least and gain the most.

But I will say this...

Suffolk has always been anti-MTA despite the rumors from SCT B/O's every week that the (MTA) was taking over. Now that Veolia is in the picture it has a stronger possibility(anythings a stronger possibility of never lol).  If you google it you will find evidence that Veolia actually bid on some service that EBT (one of the company's that operates SCT lines) won this year, obviously Veolia was outbid or was turned down by Suffolk County.  

Suffolk County Officials have publicly said they are intrigued by the deal Nassau has with Veolia and will be "watching it closely."  I personally feel Suffolk will "watch" NICE throughout the orginal 5 year contract (ending 12/31/15) and either award all the routes to Veolia and have some type of rebranding of the SCT system.  OR award some of the routes to Veolia.  There has been talk of turning the S1 into SBS type of service, i believe they are looking to put together funding to test it for a year(?) I wouldn't be surprised if that "test" was awarded to Veolia.

I don't think it is likely (but I wouldn't it out) all it takes is a company like Veolia to convince both Counties that they could benefit from a combined service.  

I have been told by SCT drivers that they have seen Veolia employees with NICE vests looking at and riding some of the buses, so it wouldn't surprise me if they did get the SCT contract. As far as the (MTA), they will not be back, I think anyone who believes so is dreaming. And I think we are better off without them. All this talk about NICE being unreliable is odd, because I ride it almost everyday and most of the time my buses have arrived within 10 min of schedule. I only average one "no-show" a month these days. Yes the floors are dirty but the passengers are pigs. The (MTA) LIRR has been much worse, it has been late almost every time, and there's often catastrophic delays, like the train I was stuck for an hour in east of Jamaica because of a disabled train west of Jamaica. I really regretted not taking the n22 to the 179st subway. The (MTA) runs the LIRR and lately they are doing a worse job than anyone else. The fares are high, the trains are late and they are filfthy. The subway is actually much cleaner and more reliable. The (MTA) treats LI like a stepchild. The road with NICE has had some major bumps for sure, but we are getting better service, esp in the fall, they've done more for the n22 than the (MTA), it will now run every 20 min on Saturday! I can interact with NICE staff at the meetings, at the (MTA) hearings the elite running the show are surrounded by security and you will not be able to interact, other than a speech which they will not pay attention to (remember Mrs. McCartney texting?). The (MTA) is great for the city, but they treat LI'ers like crap. Metro-North for some reason isn't run as bad as the LIRR. Yes I think Nassau should pay more into their bus service, but we all know if we gave them the $36M, we wouldn't have the n87 back, we wouldn't have more frequent n22 service, we wouldn't have the new express routes either. Hey I was one of Veolia/NICE's biggest critics, but they were given a tough choice by Nassau, I know the (MTA) would've done worse. By and far they've proved it, the LIRR has been one of the worst public transportation systems I've dealt with the past couple of years. I do not want those people running my buses again. 

If Pine Power is sold, that's enough for me.  He was one of the most outspoken critics of NICE and Veolia at the beginning, if he sees things are getting better that is enough for me.  The thing about these survey's is that people love to complain, even if service was perfect they'd find something to complain about, complaining is becoming human nature.  I used to think Pine Power just complained for the sake of complaining but now respect his opinion because he can look at something he was once against and see the benefit, that it's getting better, see that we are getting extra's we would not with the (MTA) (like the n87 and n4x), and can admit it not just be anti Veolia/NICE just because that was his stance from the beginning

I have been told by SCT drivers that they have seen Veolia employees with NICE vests looking at and riding some of the buses, so it wouldn't surprise me if they did get the SCT contract. 

.I think we will see a Veolia/SCT partnership within the next 5 years, sooner if they choose Veolia to run the S1 SBS pilot program  But lol I think the people wearing Veolia vests are new NICE drivers in training (I've passed a"training bus with a few of them wearing that vest).  I don't think Veolia would send new drivers to scope out SCT as SCT would just give Veolia whatever information they wanted.  Before NICE launched Veolia had "traffic checkers" riding (MTA) LIB buses counting passengers because the (MTA) wouldn't share any of that information with Veolia.  These "traffic checkers" were not Veolia employees though, I've heard they' were hired through local temp employment agencies.

The (MTA) runs the LIRR and lately they are doing a worse job than anyone else. The fares are high, the trains are late and they are filfthy.

I agree with you LIRR trains are extra filthy lately and an "on-time" train going westbound in the morning is 3-5 minutes late and coming home at night my train usually gets in on average 10 minutes late (everyone pays attention to time getting into the city, I know I never paid attention to what time the train was supposed to pull into my station.  I started keeping track, my train is late EVERY TIME coming back at night).

Last month a conductor asked a lady for her ticket, she had the biggest attitude ever refused said she was an (MTA) employee completely ignoring and disrespecting the conductor.  He explained to her she was violating the rules by not showing her pass when it was requested.  She flashed him the pass with the biggest attitude, he came back after collecting the other tickets in the car and said "you know you can get you can get your pass revoked for doing what your doing, and you wanna give me a hard time about it."  She insisted she wasn't giving him a hard time, they were all fake nice to each other for a minute, then he said "your giving me a hard time like that, I'm being a nice, I should've pulled your pass, but I didn't because I'm a nice guy."  She gets all ghetto with "what the f uck is you gonna do?  You gonna pull my pass!?!  You punch tickets, and your gonna pull my pass."  The conductor walked away, and she said the last line over and over until she got off the train.  As a "customer" I was outraged, I wish they pulled her and her attitude off the train and revoked her right to ride to work for free while others have to pay $200+ a month for the privilege.   

If I was managing a gas station, fast food joint, or whatever low paying entry level job you can think of and I heard an employee talking to another like that (especially cursing) in front of customers to see I would have terminated the employee on the spot for the way they represented the company and treated a fellow employee in front of paying customers...  ...but this is the way the LIRR allows employees to act in front of paying customers...  

...oh and it was a crowded train with people standing, the employee with the bad attitude was sitting.  If these people ride for free it should be a rule that on SRO trains they have to give up their seat to a paying customer.

Yeah, you know what. I have a task for whoever wants to do it. Someone dig up information and tell me how much the MTA executives got in bonuses and salaries in 2011 and the years before that when they pressured Nassau for money and all they got were service cuts. I'm curious to know.

I'll see if I can find anything, but am getting tired, might call it a night.  

You might find this interesting, lots of information salaries for 2010, as positions decreased salary costs increased.

This is where all of the money is going, look at LIRR pay, it is outrageous!  Kind of ironic all these big earning salaries in 2010 considering the (MTA) system wide cuts in 2010, huh!?!  

http://www.empirecenter.org/documents/pdf/stny-payroll-mta-july-2011b.pdf

Again I say the MTA is not set up to do what it is intended, give the community a ride, but rather to make sure everyone in the wink and nod club has a good salary, fantastic benefits, and a pension.  Forget about riders, the (MTA) is around for one reason and one reason only to give certain people a certain job, as long as the (MTA) is around is around that is never going to change.

Well I tried to see if I can get that double transfer yesterday on the n6.

I did this :

(going to Queens)

10:23 n15 to HTC 10:36 (was an Orion V CNG too #1686)

10:48 n6 to 179 11:32 (#1660)

11:38 (F) train out of 179

and got it.

(going home)

7:20 (6) train @ 33 St to 51st St 7:25

7:35 (E) train to Roosevelt Av 7:46

8:00 (F) train to 179 ST 8:25

I run up the stairs and see #1663 on the n6 @ 8:26

got off at Fulton/Terrace and cross the street @ 9:02

Then @ 9:06 the n15 Long Beach bound comes and I get on and the 3way transfer worked as well. #1650

so its confirmed that it works both ways using the n6...

now next week i'll test it on the n4.

now next week i'll test it on the n4.

Coming back will you be using subway, n4, other NICE line?  I'm interested to see what happens because coming eastbound I've done (E) - n4 - n19 and have been charged an additional fair getting on the n19. (J) - n4 - n19, been an additional fair on the n19 and throughout the years have entered at various different subway stations on different lines and have transferred to the (E) or (J) - n4 - n19 and have been charged $2.50 when I got on the n19 everytime.  :(

Coming back will you be using subway, n4, other NICE line?  I'm interested to see what happens because coming eastbound I've done (E) - n4 - n19 and have been charged an additional fair getting on the n19. (J) - n4 - n19, been an additional fair on the n19 and throughout the years have entered at various different subway stations on different lines and have transferred to the (E) or (J) - n4 - n19 and have been charged $2.50 when I got on the n19 everytime.  :(

n15. So the n4 ride will be less than the one you've done. Lets see how it goes.

Mostly maintence cause they should hire more mechaines buy more tow trucks.I can't count how many times I seem a bus being towed by a private towing company

Buying tow trucks would be such a waste of money especially with the limited funds NICE has to work with.  These trucks are very expensive and the people who operate them get paid  very good wage....  It is SUCH a better idea just to pay a little bit of money to get your buses towed back when needed than waste hundreds of thousands buying tow trucks!  Not many fleets (of anything that I can think of) have their own tow trucks, they contract it out.  Think of any of the biggest trucking companies in the area, more times than not they will contract out their tow service.

He meant this:

Thanks, I was wondering.  

If ya'll (what I wanna be from the south tonight) remember the (MTA) took the (MTA) logo off the building in Mitchel Field in Garden City and left "Long Island Bus" ..   I guess the (MTA) was only concerned with the (MTA) logo and not the term "Long Island Bus," that looks like the case with this building, the (MTA) logo seems to be associated with LIRR on the building and they just left "Long Island Bus."

I think in the beginning the (MTA) was worried the public would think Veolia was running an (MTA) service or that Veolia would try to pass themselves off under the (MTA) brand, but I think Veolia has branded NICE in a way that the public wouldn't be confused that the (MTA) no longer cares, I could be wrong though.

Edited by Burrstone

For some reason,when the Metrocard was introduced to LIB, only certain 3rd-leg transfers from the subway to Nassau were allowed. For example: N4 to the N15 &32, N20,21 to the N57,58,25 & 23,N22,22A to the 25,N6 to the N1,2,3,etc. There might be others that I can't recall.

Thanks, I was wondering.  

If ya'll (what I wanna be from the south tonight) remember the (MTA) took the (MTA) logo off the building in Mitchel Field in Garden City and left "Long Island Bus" ..   I guess the (MTA) was only concerned with the (MTA) logo and not the term "Long Island Bus," that looks like the case with this building, the (MTA) logo seems to be associated with LIRR on the building and they just left "Long Island Bus."

I think in the beginning the (MTA) was worried the public would think Veolia was running an (MTA) service or that Veolia would try to pass themselves off under the (MTA) brand, but I think Veolia has branded NICE in a way that the public wouldn't be confused that the (MTA) no longer cares, I could be wrong though.

Yeah, I guess that is true. I mean: it doesnt really matter that it says Long Island Bus. Most commuters commute anyway and the bus system is on Long Island so... Although I find NICE a much better name as it reflects Nassau in the name instead of Long Island (which one, especially tourists, could get confused about thinking that the system covers all of LI).

For some reason,when the Metrocard was introduced to LIB, only certain 3rd-leg transfers from the subway to Nassau were allowed. For example: N4 to the N15 &32, N20,21 to the N57,58,25 & 23,N22,22A to the 25,N6 to the N1,2,3,etc. There might be others that I can't recall.

subway -> n4 -> n15 works? :o that's perfect!

In my experience subway -> n6 -> n15 or n72 has worked for me.

TO NICE Bus Members & Long Island Bus Riders Union:

Today at Great Neck Station, I was at Great Neck Station around 12:55pm and 13:02pm n25 Lynbrook didn't show up yet.

Around 13:20, 19 passengers were waiting for 13:02 n25 Lynbrook bus. At 13:24, 13:02 n25 Lynbrook Bus was #1799 left 22 minutes left at 13:24 without picking up passenger. I heard phone conversation from unhappy man this female driver ALWAYS REFUSED TO PICKUP PASSENGERS. I heard that she has nasty altitude and she always does this according to conversation I overhead from Man's phone call.

She cannot do this because n25 is busy bus route.

Then, our good female driver #1775 on 13:32pm n25 Lynbrook had to pickup 13:02 passengers and realized all the passengers about 200-300 passengers were bypassed by 13:02 n25 Lynbrook Bus Driver. #1799 even didn't pickup elderly female lady with walkers and canes!

13:02 n25 Lynbrook #1799 female driver NEED TO STOP REFUSING PASSENGERS because it's am important bus route that connecting three major hospitals and some patients have appointments they need to keep.

TO NICE BUS- PLEASE FIRE THIS FEMALE DRIVER ON 13:02 n25 Lynbrook #1799 IMMEDIATEL