I-278

No, I'm pretty sure that the Brooklyn Bridge is not part of I-278. I-278 is the BQE, and then in Brooklyn it continues down the BQE to the Gowanus and over the Verrazano and through Staten Island to New Jersey.

All I did was just open up Google Maps.

Some fixes and answer:

-Interstate 278 is only from The Bruckner Interchange to US1&9 in Linden, NJ, not I95.

-It serves only The Bronx, Queens, Brooklyn and Staten Island. Not Manhattan, (The Battery Park Tunnel aka I478 unsigned extends to Manhattan's 9A.)

-The Brooklyn Bridge is not linked to the I278. But yes connected to it. I278 is the BQE heading north and south of Queens and Brooklyn. I have seen maps that did show I278 signed for the Brooklyn Bridge, but its incorrect.

-I278 use to end at Devoe Avenue where the current I895 serves but was extended years ago to the Interchange.

-I278 is an axillary route of I78, but doesn't connect to it due to the unbuilt Bushwick Expressway, which was suppose to run via the Williamsburg Bridge, accross northern Brooklyn to JFK and I THINK via the current I295 to the Bruckner Interchange, which did years ago divided.

More info on 278:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_278

Some fixes and answer:

-Interstate 278 is only from The Bruckner Interchange to US1&9 in Linden, NJ, not I95.

-It serves only The Bronx, Queens, Brooklyn and Staten Island. Not Manhattan, (The Battery Park Tunnel aka I478 unsigned extends to Manhattan's 9A.)

-The Brooklyn Bridge is not linked to the I278. But yes connected to it. I278 is the BQE heading north and south of Queens and Brooklyn. I have seen maps that did show I278 signed for the Brooklyn Bridge, but its incorrect.

-I278 use to end at Devoe Avenue where the current I895 serves but was extended years ago to the Interchange.

-I278 is an axillary route of I78, but doesn't connect to it due to the unbuilt Bushwick Expressway, which was suppose to run via the Williamsburg Bridge, accross northern Brooklyn to JFK and I THINK via the current I295 to the Bruckner Interchange, which did years ago divided.

More info on 278:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_278

Two tidbits,

The Bruckner Interchange is where I-95, I-278 and I-295 Meet

Wards Island is Technically in Manhattan

And yes I-78 was supposed to follow the Bushwick Expressway, to the Nassau Expressway, and the Clearview Expressway(I-295) to the Bruckner Interchange.

Two tidbits,

The Bruckner Interchange is where I-95, I-278 and I-295 Meet

Wards Island is Technically in Manhattan

And yes I-78 was supposed to follow the Bushwick Expressway, to the Nassau Expressway, and the Clearview Expressway(I-295) to the Bruckner Interchange.

Yeah I forgot about Randall/Wards Island.

And yes I know about the meet at the Interchange, but originally the 278 use to continue where the current I895 runs.

is it really that bad many of those people already come from jersey

Interstate 278, 495, 95/US1&9 all have to go through traffic problems going to/from NJ.

NY440's Outerbridge and Bayonne, I don't see very heavy traffic when I cross.

• 2 weeks later...

is it really that bad many of those people already come from jersey

Interstate 278, 495, 95/US1&9 all have to go through traffic problems going to/from NJ.

NY440's Outerbridge and Bayonne, I don't see very heavy traffic when I cross.

Mainly the Hudson River Crossings face the most difficult traffic problems (Holland I-78/Lincoln NJ-495/GWB I-95, US 1-9).

The Bayonne and Outerbridge (NY/NJ-440) might have peak hour conjestion, the Goethals (I-278) is probably the most conjested non-Hudson crossing.

I don't believe the Brooklyn Bridge is a part, but the NY-9A gets pretty close to call the Brooklyn Bridge its route.

No, the Brooklyn Bridge shouldn't get the 9A designation or even related to it, its two completely different roads.

• 4 weeks later...

Brooklyn bridge is maintained by the NYCDOT its not an interstate or state route.

The only one of the free bridges is a state route is the 59 st bridge which is NY 25.

At some point one of them was NY 27 many decades ago but thats long gone since the Prospect expwy was completd.

Archived