Nassau Inter County Goof's

They didn't even put schedules in the buses or anything. They should have done something Saturday. What with NCC's semester starting Tuesday, I hope nothing goes too wrong. OW already started classes and NICE isn't planning on altering the 20/21 schedules any time soon.

I agree, someone dropped the ball on this one, they should have at least owned up to the mistake on the website alerting the public of the lack of schedules for whatever reason.

The website said schedules would be released at terminals last week. Clearly, they didn't want to put two sets of timetables on the website. They just forgot to update the website. A call to customer service on Tuesday might spark a reaction.

I doubt customer service is going to do anything, ask a supervisor and see what they say happened at least you'll know. What reaction do you think will happen? I also doubt they simply forgot, something happened. There could have been a problem printing or delivering the schedule, but the schedules also weren't put online. IMHO something happened where they decided not to put the schedule online, not that they forgot.

Also, could it be whoever puts the schedules online does so by using the information of the printed schedule? No printed schedule, no online schedule...?

They still dont have the schedules on the website. And the service today was abysmal, sort of like it was in the beginning of the year. They were running a Sunday schedule but Roosevelt Field was open regular hours. This meant serious overcrowding and flagging problems on Jamaica bound buses in the evening. When I arrived at the mall from the n23 going south (which was running 8 min hot) there were hundreds of people waiting at stops 1 & 2, so many they were in the roadway. An n22 pulled in around 7:42pm and filled up after picking ppl up after 10 min, and left completely full people standing from front to rear, the remaining people (about 100) were complaining to the two supervisor cars there, but they never bothered getting another bus. An n24 pulls in next at 7:55pm, this was apparently supposed to leave at 7:15pm but was running 40 minutes late, about 60 people get on that bus, and it leaves with about 20 standees. More people arrive from the mall, fortunately the 8:15pm n24 showed up on time and actually left with no standees, still about 35 ppl still waiting for an n22, which doesn't arrive till 8:45pm or so! I'd have just walked the difference already, get on the 24 and just have a longer walk, since the 22 route isnt more than a mile or two away. The follies weren't done yet, the eastbound n22 at 7:48pm showed up at 8:10pm, about 20 min late, and then another eastbound n22, coming in from the wrong side (Ring Rd East) was right behind it (7:18pm - about an hour late). Then there were the buses I was on, the 5:14pm n20 didnt leave Hicksville until 5:30pm, and that bus and another one, the n23 I was on later, the b/o never bothered to open the back door. At least I was able to get a new n27 schedule on the bus, the timepoint changes are very small, which is probably why they didn't make a big deal with the new scheds. But NICE certainly was off it's game today, a combination of new drivers, labor day parades, and normal mall hours on a Sunday schedule certainly messed up things, but the big thing Veolia screwed up on was getting another bus for those n22 passengers. You'd think one of the two supervisors there, would've been able to call an extra bus from the depot nearby. But I guess money's too tight for that.
:(

They still dont have the schedules on the website. And the service today was abysmal, sort of like it was in the beginning of the year. They were running a Sunday schedule but Roosevelt Field was open regular hours. But NICE certainly was off it's game today, a combination of new drivers, labor day parades, and normal mall hours on a Sunday schedule certainly messed up things, but the big thing Veolia screwed up on was getting another bus for those n22 passengers. You'd think one of the two supervisors there, would've been able to call an extra bus from the depot nearby. But I guess money's too tight for that. :(

There are probably buses and operators stationed at Freeport to run extra service to the Beach so there should have been some available for the situation you described. Besides, with the cool temperatures today, there may not have been a need for a lot of extra buses and at least one could have been sent to RF.

There are probably buses and operators stationed at Freeport to run extra service to the Beach so there should have been some available for the situation you described. Besides, with the cool temperatures today, there may not have been a need for a lot of extra buses and at least one could have been sent to RF.

I highly doubt they are paying drivers to sit at Freeport to have buses "stationed" at Freeport to run extra Jones Beach service. IF they did and a driver picked to be extra for N88, are you sure Veolia wouldn't be violating the agreement they have in place with the union by forcing a driver who picked to be on the N88 to do the N22?

I highly doubt they are paying drivers to sit at Freeport to have buses "stationed" at Freeport to run extra Jones Beach service. IF they did and a driver picked to be extra for N88, are you sure Veolia wouldn't be violating the agreement they have in place with the union by forcing a driver who picked to be on the N88 to do the N22?

"Relief" buses for the N88 were running the opening three day weekend (Memorial Day) and as far I know, that was it. The N88s run by their schedules now and that is it.

They still dont have the schedules on the website. And the service today was abysmal, sort of like it was in the beginning of the year. They were running a Sunday schedule but Roosevelt Field was open regular hours. This meant serious overcrowding and flagging problems on Jamaica bound buses in the evening. When I arrived at the mall from the n23 going south (which was running 8 min hot) there were hundreds of people waiting at stops 1 & 2, so many they were in the roadway. An n22 pulled in around 7:42pm and filled up after picking ppl up after 10 min, and left completely full people standing from front to rear, the remaining people (about 100) were complaining to the two supervisor cars there, but they never bothered getting another bus. An n24 pulls in next at 7:55pm, this was apparently supposed to leave at 7:15pm but was running 40 minutes late, about 60 people get on that bus, and it leaves with about 20 standees. More people arrive from the mall, fortunately the 8:15pm n24 showed up on time and actually left with no standees, still about 35 ppl still waiting for an n22, which doesn't arrive till 8:45pm or so! I'd have just walked the difference already, get on the 24 and just have a longer walk, since the 22 route isnt more than a mile or two away. The follies weren't done yet, the eastbound n22 at 7:48pm showed up at 8:10pm, about 20 min late, and then another eastbound n22, coming in from the wrong side (Ring Rd East) was right behind it (7:18pm - about an hour late). Then there were the buses I was on, the 5:14pm n20 didnt leave Hicksville until 5:30pm, and that bus and another one, the n23 I was on later, the b/o never bothered to open the back door. At least I was able to get a new n27 schedule on the bus, the timepoint changes are very small, which is probably why they didn't make a big deal with the new scheds. But NICE certainly was off it's game today, a combination of new drivers, labor day parades, and normal mall hours on a Sunday schedule certainly messed up things, but the big thing Veolia screwed up on was getting another bus for those n22 passengers. You'd think one of the two supervisors there, would've been able to call an extra bus from the depot nearby. But I guess money's too tight for that.
:(

Did you take video? I'm interested to see this.

I don't know anything about the labor agreement. To understand interlining at Freeport, I sat at the station around 6 PM on a Saturday and observed. The N88 headway is 30 minutes but on my visit, there were more than two buses a hour.

Some n88 drivers goes loop. Some n88 drivers goes through and sometimes pick up at E. Bathhouse first, then goes through W Bathhouse and Central Mall before going back Freeport Station.

According to the timetable, every bus goes to E and W Bathhouses and Central Mall.

I meant some n88 drivers goes through loop, then some B/O pickup in order from W. Bathhouse to E. Bathhouse via Central Mall. Some B/O sometimes pickup first at E. Bathhouse and goes through W Bathhouse and Central Mall before going back to Freeport Station.

It still serving every Jones beach stops.

I did not say b/o skip the stop.

If you see my picture of Jones Beach photo, I got off at E. Bathhouse and walk to West Bathhouse, which was same B/O on same bus.

"Relief" buses for the N88 were running the opening three day weekend (Memorial Day) and as far I know, that was it. The N88s run by their schedules now and that is it.

Did you take video? I'm interested to see this.

Unfortunately I didn't. The bus service this week hasn't been much better. Most buses are running an average of 15 min late, one n27 pwned me today was over 40 minutes late. There seem to be alot of new drivers out there, plus NCC is back which is causing delays on all the routes that go through there (which interline with other routes spreading the delays).

That n27 I was on today left RF 30 minutes late, but 1530 is a POS that cant get out of its own way, so we wound up 40 mins late by the time it got near Glen Cove.

Unfortunately I didn't. The bus service this week hasn't been much better. Most buses are running an average of 15 min late, one n27 pwned me today was over 40 minutes late. There seem to be alot of new drivers out there, plus NCC is back which is causing delays on all the routes that go through there (which interline with other routes spreading the delays).

That n27 I was on today left RF 30 minutes late, but 1530 is a POS that cant get out of its own way, so we wound up 40 mins late by the time it got near Glen Cove.

Yea, NICE is getting new drivers. I can relate to your problem too. Two weeks ago, I took the N54 up to Hempstead from Sunrise Mall. The bus arrived at Sunrise Mall about 15 minutes late. Turns out the driver was being trained on the route and where to go by a NICE b/o also on-board. He was learning the turns and missed some stops, stopped short, swerved a little bit to the side making me think we were gonna hit the sidewalk, and stopped way ahead of bus stops to the point where people who were waving crazily had to run for the bus. When we did finally arrive at Hempstead Transit Center, we were about 50 minutes late.

• 2 weeks later...

Thats not an invisible street. The n24 terminates inside Mitchell College in East Meadow. Thats why. It no longer utilizes Hempstead Turnpike.

Mitchel (ONLY ONE "L") College closed decades ago.

Apparently, there's a building for a company called "Sodexo" there now, across from the TOH Ballfield.

Anyone notice an error on the destination sign? Instead of the route number it shows a graphic of a bus, instead of the it displays 6 numbers that looks like a date (I think the last two numbers is 06 or 08?)... I've seen this several times twice this morning at sunrise mall within minutes of each other.

Anyone notice an error on the destination sign? Instead of the route number it shows a graphic of a bus, instead of the it displays 6 numbers that looks like a date (I think the last two numbers is 06 or 08?)... I've seen this several times twice this morning at sunrise mall within minutes of each other.

That sounds like some default setting if the code can't be properly displayed, it shows what you described. I've never seen that though, see if you can get a photo sometime.

• 2 months later...

W Beech St & Grand Blvd, Long Beach: the bus shelter faces backwards (i.e. toward the sidewalk)

Yes, I know its a city issue and not NICE's fault but I might as well post it here.

LOL, I've seen those before somewhere, I forget where, but I thought they were that way intentionally for some reason that I didn't know...

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=W+Beech+St+%26+Grand+Blvd&ll=40.586044,-73.684423&spn=0.006966,0.016512&sll=40.586055,-73.684239&layer=c&cbp=13,182.87,,0,13.53&cbll=40.586043,-73.68454&gl=us&hnear=W+Beech+St+%26+Grand+Blvd,+Long+Beach,+Nassau,+New+York+11561&t=h&z=17&panoid=GdyvPF-epfKGm5iuWJZlEg

Archived