M Train Riders Brace for Construction

East New York

BUSHWICK—More and more riders have come to rely on the M train — with the Central Avenue and Knickerbocker Avenue stations experiencing some of the largest ridership jumps in Brooklyn, a recent report showed.

The Central Avenue stop saw a 17 percent ridership increase from 2010 to 2011 and ridership at Knickerbocker Avenue rose a 12.8 percent,

MTA figures revealed.

"Several stations served by the M had large increases, due to continuing growth in those neighborhoods (especially Williamsburg and Bushwick)," said Deirdre Parker, an MTA spokeswoman.

And locals said the unsurprising increases spoke to the influx of residents — and Manhattan commuters — to the area.

"I've seen more and more people use this station because more people are moving here," said Ilma Luiz, 38, who has lived by the Knickerbocker stop for 20 years. "It gets crowded now."

But the surge in riders only means that more people will be inconvenienced when the increasingly popular stations are shut down for construction, each for about five months at a time.

In August, structural work will begin at the Knickerbocker stop, and next year the Central Avenue stop will close for lengthy repairs.

The stations' control houses will be rebuilt, the staircases will be replaced, and other general structural repairs will be done, Parker said.

She said the MTA would add overnight B54 bus service during the repairs, and that it would announce more details on travel alternatives when the station shutdowns neared.

Read more:

http://www.dnainfo.com/20120413/williamsburg-greenpoint-bushwick/m-train-stations-see-ridership-jump-brace-for-construction#ixzz1rzYoemvP

A pity that the MTA made a policy of removing secondary staircases on most of the Eastern Division stations. I used to use the Wilson Avenue exit at the Knickerbocker station years ago. With stations now being automated, some of these stations could have their secondary exits reopened or replaced. It would give options to those who live between stations.

They shouldv'e done this before the cuts IMO..... Far enough that they would bother less passengers, but close enough that they don't pull any crap and get it done on timr.

They shouldv'e done this before the cuts IMO..... Far enough that they would bother less passengers, but close enough that they don't pull any crap and get it done on timr.

Yes the (MTA) should done these repairs before the cuts. However if you read the article carefully these '2' Mytrle Ave stops has seen recent increased ridership. It sounds like more of the Hipsters and other so called under 30 professionals are now sing the now direct Midtown (M) from that part of Brooklyn and Ridgewood, Queens. Thus this mergering of the (M) and (V) 2 years ago is the only widely succesful change of the 2010 Doomsday Cuts and service changes.

PS. I thought the B54 was already an all night route running every hour. Sounds like they be running a 24/7 shuttle serving these stations and Mytrle-Broadway in addition to (B54) service.

If that's the case what is 2 extra buses an hour going to do? I saw the local buses today on Broadway while I was on the BxM1 heading to the city and the shuttles and the Bx7s and Bx9s were packed like sardine cans because of no (1) service. They need more artics for these situations. Using those little NGs doesn't cut it.

Like with any bus moves it comes down to what's available. Sure ideally every subway shuttle should be mostly artics. However, that would mean 1-4 depots pulling more than their own weight vs distributing the burden over more depots which have just 40' buses. For Brooklyn where there are no artics, the local depots have mainly 40' buses and that includes those lf buses. Usually shuttles are covered by bus depots within the borough and then other depots are involved if more buses are needed.

If that's the case what is 2 extra buses an hour going to do? I saw the local buses today on Broadway while I was on the BxM1 heading to the city and the shuttles and the Bx7s and Bx9s were packed like sardine cans because of no (1) service. They need more artics for these situations. Using those little NGs doesn't cut it.

3 buses an hour (20 minute headways) is better than 1 bus per hour (60 minute headways), isn't it?

It's late nights and they're closing one station. How much service are they supposed to run?

Now, during the week, it's a different discussion. Then, they'll probably have to run more shuttles,a but again, it's only one station, and the surrounding stations are fairly close (so a lot of people could just walk there), so you're not going to need a whole bunch of shuttle buses.

Where in the world is Fresh Pond going to get artics from?

Where in the world is Fresh Pond going to get artics from?

where in the world are they going to put them. I been working shifting tricks and i must say there no room for them, there no room for what we have now. What i would do is run a short turned B54 from Myrtle Wyckoff to Myrtle Broadway giving rides what they really wanted, a transfer to the J or as far as the G at Marcy but no further . I worked the B54 for a few pick so i can pretty much tell you where the ridership is.

Archived