Unplanned Subway Service Changes

Guest lance25

To add on to this, you're assuming these situations will manifest themselves on a regular basis. Nine times out of ten, those crews you're calling for will be sitting around doing nothing and getting paid for it.

Another thing, those trains that are currently stored on the Broadway express tracks were previously stored on the unused tracks at Lexington Av-63 St. That option is no longer available for obvious reasons.

• Replies 8.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They'd have to have "switchmen" with "WAA" (Work As Assigned) jobs, which you have at terminals and yards, but they're not going to bother to have them as gap stations like that (the put-ins and layups are done by the road crews). 

The only thing I can see them do is have a roving switching job, who would report to some centrally locate place, like in Manhattan (like the platform jobs), and would be on call and be able to get someplace quick where a delay erupts like that, but I don;t think they're going to bother setting up such jobs.

(2)(3)(4): northbound service is running with delays because of track maintenance at Franklin.

(C): southbound service is express in Brooklyn because of a water condition at Ralph.

(N)(Q): southbound service is local from Canal to Atlantic via tunnel due to FDNY activity at Canal St express bridge platform.

Service Change  Posted: 05/31/2015  8:55PM 

Due to water conditions at Richmond Valley and Prince's Bay, there is no SIR trains between Tottenville and Eltingville in both directions.

Shuttle buses will provide service between Tottenville and Eltingville.

Please allow additional travel time.

Service Change  Posted: 05/31/2015  9:56PM 

Due to track maintenance at Canal St, the following service changes are in effect:

Southbound (Q) trains are running local from 57 St-7Av to Canal St.

Southbound (N) and (Q) trains are running on the  line from Canal St to DeKalb Av.

Allow additional travel time.

@Abba, Daniel, and Lance.

Years ago I used to do a (5) put-in from the express n/b track between Atlantic and Franklin Avenues. Same situation Abba described. I was the 4th train,IIRC, in that line. The trains located north of me were (4) trains and they were laid up by am finishing crews after the rush hour. I was a pm crew, starting at Utica Avenue. The crews that moved the trains ahead of me were crews from Woodlawn and were making s/b trips toward Atlantic Avenue during the early midday hours. The Utica Avenue switchmen were relaying (3) trains at Utica. The (4) crews at Atlantic were either on lunch or scheduled to make n/b trips from Atlantic. Except for the lone TSS at Atlantic there was no one available to move those put-ins out of the way except him (and me). If the blockage was between Franklin and Atlantic n/b there wouldn't be a way to even get to those trains where I was located. My train was located under the 7th Avenue Brighton Line station and could only be reached through the emergency staircase from the n/b 7th Avenue station or by walking back from the n/b Bergen St platform on the express tracks while climbing up and down three (4) trains. Not very quick work. I was actually caught up in the scenario Abba mentioned and I waited about an hour before they found people to move the trains laid up ahead of me. No crews available to move those put-ins and the lone TSS was directed to the problem train at Eastern Parkway-Brooklyn Museum. I sat back and read my newspaper. Not a common problem so when it happened we just rolled with the punches and played it by ear. Even when the problem cleared up I was stuck because two of the crews scheduled to make those (4) put-ins located ahead of me were turned back north at Bowling Green. It worked out OK for me and my C/R because by the time we got to Dyre we could only make our last trip back to Utica and layup in New Lots Yard. Win some, lose some. Carry on.

Edited by Trainmaster5

On a side note Trainmaster 5 they haven't done that G.O on a

Weekday in quite some time.I think since the (5) started running Middays to Flatbush it would be just to

Inconvenient to do it.

They would just simply cut the (5) back to Bowing Green if they needed to do that G.O again.. Just like how the (Q) is cut back to 57th when there is a midday G.O on the Astoria line.

But yea they haven't done that "(4) ends at Atlantic middays" G.O in a while, the last time I remember them doing it, Redbirds was still in service and 62s was the backbone of the (4) line.

Edited by trainfan22

They did it after the redbirds but not too often.They usually do it when the (3) has to terminate at Utica due to Livonia Line work.Maybe now that they are working on the EL they will do it at some point.But now they have a new tactic.(5) terminates at Bowling Green.(3) terminates at Flatbush.And (4) terminates at Utica

Edited by Abba

So there was actually a problem at Brooklyn Museum and they had to find people to move those trains?

Yes, they had to find people to move those put-ins. As Lance and EricB alluded to there aren't people(extras) waiting around to move those trains. Those were supposed to be handled by regular road crews when they arrived at Atlantic Avenue. Some of those people were already on trains making trips between Atlantic and Woodlawn. Any extra people located at Utica,or Flatbush couldn't reach the put-ins or the trouble train at Brooklyn Museum because of the blockage. They rounded up a TSS from Brooklyn Bridge, one from DeKalb, and an off-duty IRT dispatcher, to move the trains ahead of me into Atlantic Avenue. The (4) line Supt. and my rabbi at Operations and Planning were well aware of the risk involved as we three had talked about it previously and my (5) line Supt.had no say so in the matter because my C/R and I were the only foreign crew directly involved in any potential incident at that location. I actually think you're too focused on only part of the situation. On that day when the problem at Brooklyn Museum cleared up and the G.O. was over those of us located on that section of express track were the last ones to move. I know EricB and maybe Lance can see where I'm going with this. IF those trains ahead of me and the train behind me were moved to clear that track where were they supposed to be moved to and with what personnel? The only train with a crew was mine. The correct procedure was followed. The n/b local track was cleared up, the n/b trains stuck behind it (2) and (3) trains started to move again. Service was restored from Utica and Flatbush Avenues, 7th Avenue line service was restored between Wall St or Chambers St and Brooklyn, the G.O. ended and New Lots service resumed and the congestion was relieved both north and southbound. Your concern and solution were well thought out but in the grand scheme of things it was determined by the Chief Transportation Officer that those lay-up/put-in trains were to be left alone as much as possible. That's been standard IRT protocol as long as I can remember. Before all day IRT express service began in Brooklyn we stored (5) trains on the n/b tracks between the north end of Nostrand Avenue to Utica, as well as south of Utica. Utica Avenue was the southern terminal for the (5) line while the (2) came out of New Lots. As far back as I can remember, before 1960, any time there was a blockage on the local track between Utica and Nostrand Avenues those put-ins were not moved, period. Even if service had to be suspended those trains remained where they were. The reason given was always the same. If those trains were to be moved they would cause worse problems for all involved. Sometimes we have to look at the big picture. Carry on.

Service Change  Posted: 06/02/2015  6:35AM 

Due to switch problems at Wakefield-241 St, there is no 2.png train service in both directions between Wakefield-241 Stand Nereid Av.

As an alternative, customers are advised to take the  Bx39 bus making nearby station stops.

Delays Posted: 06/02/2015 10:19AM

Due to signal problems at Dyckman St, southbound trains are running with delays.

Due to signal problems at 49 St, some southbound , (N)(Q) and (E) trains are running express from 57 St-7 Av to Times Sq-42 St.

It looks like maybe today they didn't put the put ins on the express tracks

The only reason they were there last week was because the Q was short-turning at 57/7 due to GO in astoria 10am-3pm. 

Signal problems at 49th street (N)(Q)(R) running express from 57th street to 42nd street.

They need to fix the issue. Maybe set up a emergency GO for late night to allow workers to fix the issue

There's a full-weekend GO scheduled for this weekend. Cannot come soon enough. 

So is it Because of (5) midday service why thy don't do Utica G'O's anymore ?

Not in the old way terminating the 4 at Atlantic Av and the 3 cut back to Utica.

Apparently, this weekend, they're testing to see if both the 3 and 4 can be turned at Utica Av during the Livonia Av shutdown.

Service Change  Posted: 06/03/2015  3:06PM 

Due to signal problems at Wakefield-241 St, the following service changes are in effect:

(2) trains are running with delays in both directions.

Some northbound (2) trains are terminating at E 180 St, Gun Hill Rd or Nereid Av.

Some northbound (2) trains are running express from Gun Hill Rd to Wakefield-241 St.  

Apparently, this weekend, they're testing to see if both the 3 and 4 can be turned at Utica Av during the Livonia Av shutdown.

I prefer this setup moreso than the usual one. I mean the (4) can get crowded at times during the weekend and Utica Av has more ridership than Flatbush Av. Also, whenever they shut down the entire Flatbush branch segment, they always re-route the (2) to Utica.

Utica can handle both the (4) and one of the two West Side lines. No reason why they can't. It only takes at most 5 minutes for a train to be fumigated before proceeding to the relay, not to mention one train originates/terminates on the express track and the other train originates/terminates on the local track. Both the (3) and (4) run roughly every 10-12 minutes on weekends anyway, so I don't really see it being much of an issue.