Second Avenue Subway Discussion

CenSin

Bad idea, IMO. The (T) could be as much as 18 TPH, we need to keep it out of Dekalb Junction. I say drop Phase 4 and connect it to Rutgers instead and send it to Avenue X. It could only be 15 TPH, but it is enough to service 2nd Avenue for now.

The (T) will have to run less than 18 tph if ever joins the (F) in the Rutgers tunnel. The (F) is already at 15tph. The (T) would have to be limited to 15tph.

As for Culver, running both the (F) and (T) trains south of Church would be overkill. The Culver el is already overserved with 15 (F) tph. It would even more so with 15 (F)'s and 15 (T)'s (even if they originate at Avenue X). A better use for the (T) in Brooklyn would be to run it express between Jay St and Church Ave and have the (T) replace the (F) to Coney Island. The (F) would then run local from Jay to Church and terminate at Church with the (G). This way, the (T) would have direct access to a train yard and the (F) can run a shorter, more reliable route.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As for Culver, running both the (F) and (T) trains south of Church would be overkill. The Culver el is already overserved with 15 (F) tph. It would even more so with 15 (F)'s and 15 (T)'s (even if they originate at Avenue X). A better use for the (T) in Brooklyn would be to run it express between Jay St and Church Ave and have the (T) replace the (F) to Coney Island. The (F) would then run local from Jay to Church and terminate at Church with the (G). This way, the (T) would have direct access to a train yard and the (F) can run a shorter, more reliable route.

However, Culver gets very crowded on weekdays. I can see short turning some (probably the current Kings Highway trains) to Church, but not all.

im noticing that this thread has already made a complete 360. we've already discussed a loop. a connection to the centre st subway and using Rutgers. And that "its useless if it doesnt go to the outer boros" line, service to throgs neck, co-op, and every other option conceivable..

and until phase 3 is built, all second ave trains will come from CI( as Q's).

as i stated before, the documentation on SAS at mta.info mentions yards throughout all 4 phases. Lay-up tracks will be provisioned starting with phase 2.

I just thought of something. What if the 2 Av subway had tracks to go down into the middle tracks at Chambers St (J)(Z)? That could change the game you don't think? And please don't get on my ass for this, just making a proposal.

We already said this. Also, I'm wondering why the (T)'s last stop isn't closer to Whitehall. Then a connection could be made.

We already said this. Also, I'm wondering why the (T)'s last stop isn't closer to Whitehall. Then a connection could be made.

It's only 4 blocks, the connection can be made into the station.

I just thought of something. What if the 2 Av subway had tracks to go down into the middle tracks at Chambers St (J)(Z)? That could change the game you don't think? And please don't get on my ass for this, just making a proposal.

We said this can't work because the (T) would be too frequent to go through 4th Avenue and Dekalb Junction.

Well, it was never said they have to send all the trains to Brooklyn. Maybe they could terminate some in Manhattan. Either way ideally, the (T) would run thru southern Brooklyn using the existing tunnels.

The only other option would be to build a new river tunnel and connect it to the Fulton line via the Transit Museum (which then would need to be relocated).

Well, it was never said they have to send all the trains to Brooklyn. Maybe they could terminate some in Manhattan. Either way ideally, the (T) would run thru southern Brooklyn using the existing tunnels.

The only other option would be to build a new river tunnel and connect it to the Fulton line via the Transit Museum (which then would need to be relocated).

There isn't any money to build a new river tunnel, and new tracks can be built under the museum for that anyway.

The (T)'s that turn in Manhattan would be empty, just further crowding the full route ones. Connecting to Culver is the best idea.

Well of course there's no money, but eventually in the future there might be a need for another tunnel as I doubt all the other existing tunnels can maintain the levels they have if the population continues to rise.

But the point is, there's only so many trains you can fit in the tunnel and to maintain the tph needed for the SAS. It's either short turn the (T) or the other line it runs with going into Brooklyn.

What if the (T) replaced the (R) in Brooklyn and the (R) terminated at Whitehall?

I'm not to keen on this one, as most riders want Midtown, not the East Side. I still think some (R)'s should go to 95th Street in this situation...

Or, if the (T) were built on the same level as the (B)(D) at Grand st. and you can have select (T) trains run with the (B) to Brighton.

What if the (T) replaced the (R) in Brooklyn and the (R) terminated at Whitehall?

Hem, when I was still in favor of annexing the Nassau line for the southern part of the SAS, I did feel the (T) should go to 95th-Bay Ridge full time and the (R) either being cut back to Whitehall or 9th av. I'm not sure how far the last stop on Water St would be and if they will connect a passageway to Whitehall though. Edited by Grand Concourse

I'm not to keen on this one, as most riders want Midtown, not the East Side. I still think some (R)'s should go to 95th Street in this situation...

The (T), assuming built as designed, DOES go to Midtown. Right under the Chrysler Building.

The entire Second Avenue Subway will be served by the (T) between 125th Street and Hanover Square. The (T) is joined by the (Q) between 125th and 72nd Streets. There's no need to change any service patterns and routes, especially since its better that riders needs to stick to the way the subway system is.

Edited by RollOverMyHead

The Chrysler Building is nowhere near 2 Av.

@Rollover the (T) will be almost pointless as a Manhattan shuttle. It needs to go to the outer boroughs, preferably the Bronx, but more realistically Brooklyn.

The (T) will sure be extended to the Bronx and Brooklyn in the faraway future. We'll just wait and see. :)

The Chrysler Building is nowhere near 2 Av.

@Rollover the (T) will be almost pointless as a Manhattan shuttle. It needs to go to the outer boroughs, preferably the Bronx, but more realistically Brooklyn.

It dosen't use 2nd Avenue the whole route; it does use 3rd Avenue for a short time near 42nd Street.

Anyway, here are some proposals I have/or heard.

Have most (R) trains terminate at Whitehall Street while (T) trains run to 95th Street via Nassau Street and 4th Avenue local.

Have some (F) trains terminate at 2nd Avenue or Church Avenue while the (F) runs express and the (T) runs local on Culver.

Construct a new tunnel connecting just before the transit museum (not using those tracks) and run the (T) via Fulton Street local to Euclid Avenue (or even Rockaway Park to replace the (S).)

Edited by ThrexxBus

125 St - Hanover Square hardly seems like a shuttle. Not every Manhattan rider is going to/from the outer boroughs, and there will (hopefully) be convenient transfers to other lines that go to them.

Fine, call me a foamer...Here's my crazy proposal:

(T) to Brighton Beach via Nassau St and Brighton Express

(B) via Fulton Local to Euclid Av

(C) terminates at WTC

:D

Edited by TheSubwayStation

Fine, call me a foamer...Here's my crazy proposal:

(T) to Brighton Beach via Nassau St and Brighton Express

(B) via Fulton Local to Euclid Av

(C) terminates at WTC

:D

It may not be that crazy, except it could clog 8th Avenue. It gives riders more choices.

And all the time I was under the impression that the SAS was a replacement for the 2nd and 3rd Avenue Els. You know, the areas of Manhattan that lost rapid transit service years ago. Now the Lionel Loonies have decided to improve upon a concept before it's even completed. WOW. Run trains everywhere while forgetting the original plan.