NYPD checking buses at certain locations?

Acela Express

Not sure if this is something new, but there were a pair of officers at Utica Ave & St. Johns Place earlier this afternoon asking operators if everything's "okay", then recording our badge number and last name.

I'm curious if they're doing this to all the "rough" routes, or just all over?

I have seen this once, back in February in the Bronx. Northbound BX19 at 163rd Street getting filled up and was stopped by one officer asking for the B/O's info and then headed to the back to pull out a teenager who entered the rear.

I heard rumor when I took Bx12 SBS Few Months Ago in 2011 I think when one passenger didn't like SBS Payment, I heard conversation between male B/O and male passenger and male B/O said COP boarded the bus and asked for SBS Receipt.

Can Cops do the fare inspection besides the current T/A inspectors?

Can Cops do the fare inspection besides the current T/A inspectors?

I believe so. I have seen NYPD pull off farebeaters from buses, and looking at SBS tickets is no different.

Weirdly enough, one time on the Q46, a guy refused to pay the fare, and when we got to the Queens Blvd. terminal, the B/O called the console for police to respond and MTA Bridges and Tunnel police showed up, not NYPD. They eventually got the guy to just pay the damn $2.00 (this was a few years back), but I didn't think MTA B+T even had the authority to respond to these calls.

Archived