SCT Proposals 2012-2013 Thread

Yes, limited stop service, express service (if possible in 110 traffic) and allow the S1 to drive in the shoulder (where it fits). Strictly no parking or stopping on the shoulder of any vehicles except transit buses of course. Make the shoulder a bus lane during rush hour traffic. The only problem is drivers are complete idiots in this area and I could many accidents happen because idiots doing whatever these in their besides just concentrating on driving would enter the shoulder to make a turn and collide with buses already in the lane. Yes the person would obviously not have looked but probably sue Suffolk County and EBT looking for a big pay day.

But IMHO the bus should the shoulder during rush hour or do a previous poster suggested make an HOV/bus lane. The only problem with that is how would a bus get over from the left lane to make a stop, then get back to the left lane? Sure limited stops or express stops could be used but this could become very problematic.

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it is about time Suffolk County or the (MTA) explored light rail up 110 connecting the Ammutyville RR & Huntington RR.

Well that could help, but most of the stops it would make would be on expressways or colleges, except in Amityville and Huntington where the stops are more within intersections. An express would operate no faster than the current S1 does. The S1 would sure likely to have limited stop service

Well that could help, but most of the stops it would make would be on expressways or colleges, except in Amityville and Huntington where the stops are more within intersections.

I was inmpressed by the light rail system theyre building on University Ave in St, Paul, MN. They are building the light rail (with stations) in the middle of the street, with train. Trains coming in opposite directions would not stop at the same place. You'd have the intersection and the platform for a train going in particular a direction would stop before the intersection.

=======S+S===== = is the rail S is the stop for a train going in each direction before and after the intersection (+ is the intersection).

I was thiking along 110 there could be a stop every few/ or major intersections. Have trains stop in the station on red, so the intersection would never be blocked by a stopped train, traffic from cross streets crosses the tracks in the intersection on thier green (when a train is in the station. You could time the train and lights so it would always a green when moving.

Take the left lane out on both sides of route 110 and whala, you have room for a light rail, and hopefully take more caars off the road.

I thikn it's time for a system like this on 110, although I was impressed that the city of St. Paul and the state of Minnesotta got the money for such a large project in this economy.

Edited by Burrstone

Honestly the S1 can use limited-stop service

The thing is that it's running every 15-20 minutes, not every 5-10 minutes like here in NYC. So that means local rider get screwed with infrequent service (I mean, yeah I know most routes still run less often than every 30-40 minutes, but still)

The thing is that it's running every 15-20 minutes, not every 5-10 minutes like here in NYC. So that means local rider get screwed with infrequent service (I mean, yeah I know most routes still run less often than every 30-40 minutes, but still)

.....is why I generally don't advocate for LTD service in suburban areas.

.....is why I generally don't advocate for LTD service in suburban areas.

The county is said to be working on a BRT program for the 110 Corridor, as well as one for Nicholls road which would allow a bus to run from Patchouge to Stony Brook Via SCCC Selden.

Haha I've been on the S1 that has gotten so bogged down in taffic during rush hours and then having to pick up passengers along the way... The longer the bus got delayed there more people waiting to board (people coming 10 min early for the next bus.) It was not uncommon, especially on Fridays to hear the driver behind us on the radio telling the driver they can see him and to only worry about getting to Amityville RR they'll worry about picking everyone up.

I've always wondered about SCT and EBT... I used to take the 6am bus out of Amityville RR and it seemed like the lady on the 6am had a hard time getting there in time. However, the guy who did the 6:15 (or was it the 6:20?) was sitting there every morning before the 6:00am got there, drinking his coffee, watching. I remember a couple of times she was late, equipment problems once, and her just coming in late one day. She was like 10 min late once and like 12 min late the other time. I also remember another time I was trying to make the 6:15 and was cutting it close, I thought the bus left a few minutes early but I found out later I saw her flying out of the area bc she was ordered to FLY up 110 until she was back on sched then start picking up. Meaning everyone waiting until that point had to wait for the 6:15 bus...

Why in the hell would dispatch or the supervisor not just put the 6:15 bus on 6am if its already at Amityville RR and put the late bus on the 6:15 knowing the buses run every 15-20 min?

They can't run the 6:15 on the 6:00 if the 6:00 is late because they probably, like every other company, have all the drivers schedules planed out in advance for the picks,

The 6:15 is there ahead of the 6:00 because I have the feeling that the 6:00 S1 from Amityville does the first run on the 1A which has the first run arriving at Amityville at 6:00, but the 6:15 just starts off there. If the 6:00 does do the 1A before the S1 it does make sense to have them run the 6:15 S1 instead of the 6:00.

They can't run the 6:15 on the 6:00 if the 6:00 is late because they probably, like every other company, have all the drivers schedules planed out in advance for the picks,

Obviously I know why it wasn't done, I thought that went without saying. Come on...

AND IF the 0615 is there and the 0600 is running late WHY CAN'T the 0615 that is there start the 0600? Let's forget about run picks and unions, let's think about the riders, they are obviously taking the 0600 because the 0615 doesn't work for them.

I've heard this so many times before from b/o's EVERYWHERE these "excuses" and it has become a pet peeve of mine. IMO it sounds like b/o's have forgotten why they have a job, to give the community a ride! If you listen to MANY of them you'd think these jobs have been created to cater to what works best for them.

The 6:15 is there ahead of the 6:00 because I have the feeling that the 6:00 S1 from Amityville does the first run on the 1A which has the first run arriving at Amityville at 6:00, but the 6:15 just starts off there. If the 6:00 does do the 1A before the S1 it does make sense to have them run the 6:15 S1 instead of the 6:00.

The 0600 comes directly from the yard (at least it did when I rode it) a couple of months later a new lady was on the route (I dunno if it was because of run picks or if she replaced the other lady) she had a school bus run after the the s1. She was flying like a bat out of hell telling anyone who would listen that "she cannot be late for her school run again." She was telling people she had a split shit, go in early do the s1, get back to the yard pick up her school bus, do the school run, go home, come back do her pm school bus run, go back to the yard grab a transit bus and do an s1 to huntington and back... Long split up day!

I don't think the 0615 did anything before that because it was a 8xxx series bus and I've seen them on the s1. I did see him in a new Orion every now and again for a week at a time but that was when the new Orions just came in and I think they were letting everyone have a turn before they assigned them.

Obviously I know why it wasn't done, I thought that went without saying. Come on...

AND IF the 0615 is there and the 0600 is running late WHY CAN'T the 0615 that is there start the 0600? Let's forget about run picks and unions, let's think about the riders, they are obviously taking the 0600 because the 0615 doesn't work for them.

I've heard this so many times before from b/o's EVERYWHERE these "excuses" and it has become a pet peeve of mine. IMO it sounds like b/o's have forgotten why they have a job, to give the community a ride! If you listen to MANY of them you'd think these jobs have been created to cater to what works best for them.

The 0600 comes directly from the yard (at least it did when I rode it) a couple of months later a new lady was on the route (I dunno if it was because of run picks or if she replaced the other lady) she had a school bus run after the the s1. She was flying like a bat out of hell telling anyone who would listen that "she cannot be late for her school run again." She was telling people she had a split shit, go in early do the s1, get back to the yard pick up her school bus, do the school run, go home, come back do her pm school bus run, go back to the yard grab a transit bus and do an s1 to huntington and back... Long split up day!

I don't think the 0615 did anything before that because it was a 8xxx series bus and I've seen them on the s1. I did see him in a new Orion every now and again for a week at a time but that was when the new Orions just came in and I think they were letting everyone have a turn before they assigned them.

I was taking a guess based on the schedules, I've never seen EBT before so I have no idea how they run things.

Normally the drivers need to be trained on the buses before they can drive them.

EBT's union I believe is the same one that some bus company out in Staten Island, that got in trouble a few years ago, had.

I didn't mean to say that it was right to have the 6:15 sitting there if the 6:00 is late, But if the 6:00 driver has to do a school bus run, having them do the 6:15 when they finally arrive, may not work out for them.

If EBT though has it worked so a driver can do a transit run then a School Bus run and back to transit then thats something, and probably the only operator that does that. I know Suffolk Bus Corp allows the drivers of the 6A, who doesn't make full time I gather, the ablity to pick up a Mini bus run through their sister company Suffolk Transportation Service.

Exactly how would they do this in the awful traffic on 110? Dedicated lane?

I don't know anything else other then Suffolk is working on it, though that would be the likely guess.

I think they would do it the way the MTA planned making the BX41 sbs: The two middle lanes would be bus only for BRT and the stations on the road literally would take out another lane in each direction. If BRT does go as planned, the S1 local rush hours should terminate at WWM and S1 BRT would go The full route but limited stop from WWM to Amityville

I think they would do it the way the MTA planned making the BX41 sbs: The two middle lanes would be bus only for BRT and the stations on the road literally would take out another lane in each direction. If BRT does go as planned, the S1 local rush hours should terminate at WWM and S1 BRT would go The full route but limited stop from WWM to Amityville

That sounds like a good plan, but if there is going to be a lose of a lane for other traffic then I would bet that either the State or county would ask for 110 to be widen to add a lane for the lost one.

My guess would be that during the rush hours one lane in each direction would be for buses only, either just for the BRT route or for both BRT and Local. I mean the loss of one lane is better then the loss of up to three lanes.

The BRT projects probably won't be done for years yet, since there are so many things to study. Like Traffic patterns and planning. Both NYS 110 and CR 97 are busy roads, and the loss of even one lane would probably make traffic worse. Besides both are pretty dangerous roads, with probably at least one accident happening somewhere along the roadway a day. I mean Suffolk had to reconfigure the intersection on CR 97 that the S58 and S71 use to use to get from College Road to CR 97, now the two routes have to use Portion Road to get onto CR 97, because of the high amount of accidents that happened at that intersection.

Also, would it be such a tragedy for SCT to play nice with the MTA and let you buy a uniticket with the monthly for the railroad, because theres plenty of people who use both now and i feel like its a huge deterrant that keeps commuters from using the bus. Or is this the MTAs fault you cant get a Uniticket for SCT?

I would call it the S97

I would think that it probably would be, either that or probably in the 70's or 80's (So they could say that they have a bus route in at least every number range)

Also, would it be such a tragedy for SCT to play nice with the MTA and let you buy a uniticket with the monthly for the railroad, because theres plenty of people who use both now and i feel like its a huge deterrant that keeps commuters from using the bus. Or is this the MTAs fault you cant get a Uniticket for SCT?

Souffolk Officals seem to have a love hate relationship with the MTA. Currently I believe its still in hate mode over the Payroll tax a few years ago, and the lack of service to the East End with the LIRR.

I would think that it probably would be, either that or probably in the 70's or 80's (So they could say that they have a bus route in at least every number range)

Souffolk Officals seem to have a love hate relationship with the MTA. Currently I believe its still in hate mode over the Payroll tax a few years ago, and the lack of service to the East End with the LIRR.

I was planning to fan LI's Summer only services, but not after I realized after 2:51 PM the following train from Montuak leaves at 10:31 PM

well if they want to act like brats over it who loses? everybody because both organizations lose riders and those who want to use it have to sit in traffic, and those who would drive anyway have more cars on the road to deal with.

(MTA) didn't do this when it ran LIB. you had to buy a monthly LIRR and buy a monthly metrocard on top of it, maybe a slight discount on the metrocard. I always thought (MTA) should have given you a free transfer to LIB, you pay so much for a LIRR ticket and they couldn't even give you a free bus ride before/after. If they screwed LIB rides out of an additional 2.25 after a LIRR ride and they controlled LIB why would they play ball with SCT? Riders would live a unipass or for SCT to take metrocards but I have a feeling (MTA) would want to keep a majority of the money.

My guess would be that during the rush hours one lane in each direction would be for buses only, either just for the BRT route or for both BRT and Local. I mean the loss of one lane is better then the loss of up to three lanes.

The BRT projects probably won't be done for years yet, since there are so many things to study. Like Traffic patterns and planning. Both NYS 110 and CR 97 are busy roads, and the loss of even one lane would probably make traffic worse. Besides both are pretty dangerous roads, with probably at least one accident happening somewhere along the roadway a day. I mean Suffolk had to reconfigure the intersection on CR 97 that the S58 and S71 use to use to get from College Road to CR 97, now the two routes have to use Portion Road to get onto CR 97, because of the high amount of accidents that happened at that intersection.

No matter what this will have to be done by the state or Suffolk County will have to get permission from the state to this as 110 is a state road.

(MTA) didn't do this when it ran LIB. you had to buy a monthly LIRR and buy a monthly metrocard on top of it, maybe a slight discount on the metrocard. I always thought (MTA) should have given you a free transfer to LIB, you pay so much for a LIRR ticket and they couldn't even give you a free bus ride before/after. If they screwed LIB rides out of an additional 2.25 after a LIRR ride and they controlled LIB why would they play ball with SCT? Riders would live a unipass or for SCT to take metrocards but I have a feeling (MTA) would want to keep a majority of the money.

No matter what this will have to be done by the state or Suffolk County will have to get permission from the state to this as 110 is a state road.

WRONG MTA did have a LIB Uniticket and still does with NICE the extra cost was $28 per month & still is. MTA always had LIB uniticket. I see many N74/73 &sometimes N40&50 riders board with uniticket

When exactly did Unitickets become available for LIB? And why did they play ball with HART and Long Beach then?

As far as metrocards go does the MTA still take money from the NICE or Bee-Line fares that get paid in metrocard?

Does MTA make money off NICE using metrocards? Yes. Is it just off the lease Veolia pays on the fareboxes, or do they get more? I'm not going to guess. I was not aware of a unipass on the LIRR and LIB, I would have used if last year. How much on average did it save riders? Can you give me an example.

I have no idea what the deal is between HART & Long Beach, again I'm not going to guess. History has shown us SCT has been in no way interested in using the card, SCT has shown its not not willing to play ball with the (MTA) . SCT has shown it has wanted as little to do with the (MTA) as possible. There's also bad blood between Suffolk and the (MTA), was there the same animosity between the other agencies you asked about? I really don't know and every situation is different, so asking why they played ball with other agencies isn't an answer to what's going with this situation.

If we haven't seen a uniticket between SCT & LIRR in the past couple of decades I don't think we'll see it anytime soon. For a uniticket to cost passengers less either SCT, the MTA, or both would have to agree to reduce their fare. Do you really see SCT or the MTA letting go of part of their fare?

As for SCT using a metrocard, we've seen through history that is not going to happen. IMHO the metrocard is a dying breed, it'll probably be around for our lifetime but their are now fareboxes with credit card readers, and the technology such as Blink allowing passengers to wave their credit card over the farebox. I can see agencies getting these fareboxes in new bus orders a d getting grants to replace or retrofit fareboxes already are already in the system. Even the MTA is looking into this technology in the subway.