Brooklyn Division Bus Proposals/Ideas

B36 Via Ave U

If the BQE won't do for a Brooklyn to LGA route, here's my new proposal:

B80: Limited-stop service between LaGuardia Airport, Queens, and Downtown Brooklyn via Jay St, Tillary St, Park Av, Williamsburg St, Rodney St (northbound), Marcy Av (southbound), Meeker Av, Kingsland Av (northbound), Monitor St (southbound), Greenpoint Av, 39 St, Northern Blvd, 49 St (northbound), 48 St (southbound), Astoria Blvd, and 23 Av (northbound). Makes only the following stops:

On Jay St:

Fulton Mall

Myrtle Promenade (A)(C)(F)(R)

On Park Av:

Vanderbilt Av

On Williamsburg St (northbound)/Classon Av (southbound):

Flushing Av

On Rodney St (northbound)/Marcy Av (southbound):

Broadway (J)(M)(Z)

Metropolitan Av (G)(L)

On Meeker Av:

Lorimer St

Graham Av

Kingsland Av

On Kingsland Av (northbound)/Monitor St (southbound):

Nassau Av

On Greenpoint Av:

Borden Av

On 39 St:

Queens Blvd (7)

Steinway St/Northern Blvd

On 49 St (northbound) and 48 St (southbound):

Broadway (M)(R)

30 Av

On Astoria Blvd:

78 St

82 St

On 23 Av (northbound):

87 St

94 St

Then all stops in LaGuardia Airport

You got a map link for this?

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If the BQE won't do for a Brooklyn to LGA route, here's my new proposal:

B80: Limited-stop service between LaGuardia Airport, Queens, and Downtown Brooklyn via Jay St, Tillary St, Park Av, Williamsburg St, Rodney St (northbound), Marcy Av (southbound), Meeker Av, Kingsland Av (northbound), Monitor St (southbound), Greenpoint Av, 39 St, Northern Blvd, 49 St (northbound), 48 St (southbound), Astoria Blvd, and 23 Av (northbound). Makes only the following stops:

On Jay St:

Fulton Mall

Myrtle Promenade (A)(C)(F)(R)

On Park Av:

Vanderbilt Av

On Williamsburg St (northbound)/Classon Av (southbound):

Flushing Av

On Rodney St (northbound)/Marcy Av (southbound):

Broadway (J)(M)(Z)

Metropolitan Av (G)(L)

On Meeker Av:

Lorimer St

Graham Av

Kingsland Av

On Kingsland Av (northbound)/Monitor St (southbound):

Nassau Av

On Greenpoint Av:

Borden Av

On 39 St:

Queens Blvd (7)

Steinway St/Northern Blvd

On 49 St (northbound) and 48 St (southbound):

Broadway (M)(R)

30 Av

On Astoria Blvd:

78 St

82 St

On 23 Av (northbound):

87 St

94 St

Then all stops in LaGuardia Airport

The B80 will operate from 6AM to midnight every 30 minutes.

Which depot should I assign the B80?

It'll probably be talk, but I think the service on the BM's to Manhattan end early on Saturdays.

To Manhattan:

I think the BM1 should run to 5:30 PM (Last bus outta Mill Basin)

To Brooklyn: 

Add an 8:20 AM BM3 trip from 57 Street

It allows for more service to/from Brooklyn.

It'll probably be talk, but I think the service on the BM's to Manhattan end early on Saturdays.

To Manhattan:

I think the BM1 should run to 5:30 PM (Last bus outta Mill Basin)

To Brooklyn: 

Add an 8:20 AM BM3 trip from 57 Street

It allows for more service to/from Brooklyn.

Old talk at that... I used to take those 22:20 BM3's from Sheepshead Bay on Saturdays back to the city... I don't hang out down there anymore...

Spring Creek Basin and East New York

The B13, B83, B84, and Q8 currently all run past the Brooklyn DDSO in Spring Creek Basin. The B83 will have its terminus moved away from  there in a few months, but the B13, B84, and Q8 will still run past it. The MTA has said that the B84's routing will remain the same. However, the Brooklyn DDSO past which all of these routes run is currently slated for closure by December 31, 2015, along with three other centers for people with developmental disabilities. Because of that, I see no need for any bus to run past the DDSO site en route to Gateway Center...and there would be no reason to not have the B84 take a more direct route to Gateway Mall. As such, I propose these changes, effective for winter pick 2016:

Q8/B84: Change the route completely west of Euclid Avenue to give this route its own market west of Euclid Avenue. I would propose this routing:

To Gateway Center: remain on Pitkin to Fountain, then: left on Fountain, right on Dumont, follow to New Lots Avenue, and left on Ashford Street. This route would then be combined with the B84, and run as follows: down Ashford Street to Cozine Avenue, left on Cozine, right on Elton Street, left on Vandalia Avenue, right on Erskine Street, right on Gateway Drive, to terminus.

To Jamaica, the combined route would be: from Gateway North via Gateway Drive, left on Erskine, left on Vandalia, right on Elton, left on Cozine, right on Ashford, right on Hegeman, left on Cleveland, right on New Lots onto Dumont, left on Logan, right on Pitkin, to Jamaica.

B13: Minor change in route to account for a deleted Q8 stop that does get ridership, and to catch more riders bidirectionally to reroute away from what would now be a zero-ridership zone:

To Gateway Center: via Stanley Avenue, remain on Stanley to Fountain Avenue, left on Fountain, past Cozine, then a right on Vandalia, left on Erskine Street, into the mall

To Wyckoff Medical Center: via Fountain Avenue, remain on Fountain to Wortman, right onto Euclid Avenue, right onto Stanley Avenue, and regular.

In addition, the B13 would no longer pull directly into the Brooklyn GMF, but would continue to stop just outside of it on Stanley Avenue.

One may ask why not keep the current B13 pattern to Gateway southbound past the DDSO site, and the answer is that with the DDSO closed permanently, it would be better to have bidirectional service through the residential area.

In a non-revenue change, permission would be applied from the DOT to allow buses to use Shore Parkway east of Exit 15. This would have the Q8 use the Belt Parkway as its deadhead route; currently, buses have to double back to Linden Boulevard to deadhead.

The Q8 to Gateway would get a bit longer, however, I see a cost savings here and a benefit to the customer owing to:

1. A more direct route from the neighborhood to New Lots and Gateway, bypassing the little-to-non-utilized stops on Flatlands Avenue (only Elton really gets any ridership)

2. New access from this area to the IND subway at Euclid Avenue.

3. Onward access to points east on the Q8 to Jamaica, Queens.

The revised deadhead would reduce the Q8's run-on and run-off in moderate traffic to about 10-12 minutes or so, as except for right by JFK Depot and Gateway Mall, the run-on and run-off would be on a limited-access highway. Additionally, buses would not be idle as much with a combined Q8 and B84 as it is with the B84 today...an idle bus does not make money.

Edited by aemoreira81

Old talk at that... I used to take those 22:20 BM3's from Sheepshead Bay on Saturdays back to the city... I don't hang out down there anymore...

Eh, I mean, before 10 AM and after 4 PM, buses are generally deadheading to/from Brooklyn.

Here's another proposal regarding the BM1:

Basically put, the BM1 would run up 70 street then onto Veterans, instead of making that awkward turn at Barone Triangle

The stop at Veterans and 71 Street would be moved to Veterans & 70 Street

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

Here's another proposal regarding the BM1:

Basically put, the BM1 would run up 70 street then onto Veterans, instead of making that awkward turn at Barone Triangle

The stop at Veterans and 71 Street would be moved to Veterans & 70 Street

Don't agree that Veterans/70th should be a shared stop (with the B41).... For one, sometimes B41's layover at that stop (instead of doing so "normally" along Veterans)... And more importantly, that stop holds a certain significance w/ Bergen Beach folks.... Needless to say, the Veterans/71st stop is a major pickup stop on the BM1....

Remember what the old BM1 routing used to look like in the area:

[Where it never ran along veterans to ralph.... Instead, it came off 66th, to av u, looped on veterans, to (serve that very) 71st (stop), back to av u, to mill, up ralph (past veterans) towards manhattan]

Here's a pic from off an old map, instead of just relying on my word:

zQNAFzt.gif

I think what the BM1 does now is actually more feasible than having buses come off Av U, to E. 70th, to Veterans (as you're suggesting), even though it appears awkward (as you put it).......

Spring Creek Basin and East New York

The B13, B83, B84, and Q8 currently all run past the Brooklyn DDSO in Spring Creek Basin. The B83 will have its terminus moved away from  there in a few months, but the B13, B84, and Q8 will still run past it. The MTA has said that the B84's routing will remain the same. However, the Brooklyn DDSO past which all of these routes run is currently slated for closure by December 31, 2015, along with three other centers for people with developmental disabilities. Because of that, I see no need for any bus to run past the DDSO site en route to Gateway Center...and there would be no reason to not have the B84 take a more direct route to Gateway Mall. As such, I propose these changes, effective for winter pick 2016:

Q8/B84: Change the route completely west of Euclid Avenue to give this route its own market west of Euclid Avenue. I would propose this routing:

To Gateway Center: remain on Pitkin to Fountain, then: left on Fountain, right on Dumont, follow to New Lots Avenue, and left on Ashford Street. This route would then be combined with the B84, and run as follows: down Ashford Street to Cozine Avenue, left on Cozine, right on Elton Street, left on Vandalia Avenue, right on Erskine Street, right on Gateway Drive, to terminus.

To Jamaica, the combined route would be: from Gateway North via Gateway Drive, left on Erskine, left on Vandalia, right on Elton, left on Cozine, right on Ashford, right on Hegeman, left on Cleveland, right on New Lots onto Dumont, left on Logan, right on Pitkin, to Jamaica.

B13: Minor change in route to account for a deleted Q8 stop that does get ridership, and to catch more riders bidirectionally to reroute away from what would now be a zero-ridership zone:

To Gateway Center: via Stanley Avenue, remain on Stanley to Fountain Avenue, left on Fountain, past Cozine, then a right on Vandalia, left on Erskine Street, into the mall

To Wyckoff Medical Center: via Fountain Avenue, remain on Fountain to Wortman, right onto Euclid Avenue, right onto Stanley Avenue, and regular.

In addition, the B13 would no longer pull directly into the Brooklyn GMF, but would continue to stop just outside of it on Stanley Avenue.

One may ask why not keep the current B13 pattern to Gateway southbound past the DDSO site, and the answer is that with the DDSO closed permanently, it would be better to have bidirectional service through the residential area.

In a non-revenue change, permission would be applied from the DOT to allow buses to use Shore Parkway east of Exit 15. This would have the Q8 use the Belt Parkway as its deadhead route; currently, buses have to double back to Linden Boulevard to deadhead.

The Q8 to Gateway would get a bit longer, however, I see a cost savings here and a benefit to the customer owing to:

1. A more direct route from the neighborhood to New Lots and Gateway, bypassing the little-to-non-utilized stops on Flatlands Avenue (only Elton really gets any ridership)

2. New access from this area to the IND subway at Euclid Avenue.

3. Onward access to points east on the Q8 to Jamaica, Queens.

The revised deadhead would reduce the Q8's run-on and run-off in moderate traffic to about 10-12 minutes or so, as except for right by JFK Depot and Gateway Mall, the run-on and run-off would be on a limited-access highway. Additionally, buses would not be idle as much with a combined Q8 and B84 as it is with the B84 today...an idle bus does not make money.

- Extending the Q8 to New Lots (3) & then combine it with with the B84?

Ridiculous waste of mileage; a senseless backtrack - Makes more sense to run the B84 itself up to Euclid subway then to have Q8's coming from Jamaica running to New Lots (3), then doing the B84 route.....

The last thing the Q8 needs is an extension anyway, especially meandering whilst in Brooklyn like that.... I'll go as far as to say that the Q8 should be reverted to terminating at Euclid subway - and for god sakes, do what needs to be done with the B13 - Beef up service on that route.... The problem is, since the B20 runs up penn. towards Broadway Junction, it takes away from any real boost in B13 service - even those folks out there in Spring Creek clearly want the B13 over the 20.....

- B13 commentary..... I get all that about not running down fountain to the end, to gateway drive.....

Just one minor problem w/ the rest of it though....

Where are you putting a bus stop (towards gateway) between [fountain/vandalia] & [the proposed MTA stop, for the Red Lobster & the Olive Garden]? You can't put a bus stop b/w the [Home Depot entrance/exit] & [erskine/gateway drive]....

- Spare the remark stating an idle bus makes no money, when you'd purposely prolong an already long route over that same route that you claim spends too much time being idle.... Both amount to counterproductivity, no matter how you wanna verbosely & eloquently display your suggestion here....

Don't agree that Veterans/70th should be a shared stop (with the B41).... For one, sometimes B41's layover at that stop (instead of doing so "normally" along Veterans)... And more importantly, that stop holds a certain significance w/ Bergen Beach folks.... Needless to say, the Veterans/71st stop is a major pickup stop on the BM1....

Remember what the old BM1 routing used to look like in the area:

[Where it never ran along veterans to ralph.... Instead, it came off 66th, to av u, looped on veterans, to (serve that very) 71st (stop), back to av u, to mill, up ralph (past veterans) towards manhattan]

Here's a pic from off an old map, instead of just relying on my word:

zQNAFzt.gif

I think what the BM1 does now is actually more feasible than having buses come off Av U, to E. 70th, to Veterans (as you're suggesting), even though it appears awkward (as you put it).......

Yeah, I remember that long route.

The BM1 would stop across from the B41 bus stop, on Veterans Avenue itself, at E 70, not on E 70 Street itself, unless you're saying B41's lay over there.

https://www.google.com/maps/ms?msid=204750700533050976010.00050193f1bdabca4b4ff&msa=0&ll=40.618611,-73.907261&spn=0.012069,0.026157

Yeah, I remember that long route.

The BM1 would stop across from the B41 bus stop, on Veterans Avenue itself, at E 70, not on E 70 Street itself, unless you're saying B41's lay over there.

https://www.google.com/maps/ms?msid=204750700533050976010.00050193f1bdabca4b4ff&msa=0&ll=40.618611,-73.907261&spn=0.012069,0.026157

Nah.... I was talking about along E 70th (where B41's sometimes layover at)

Anyway, I honestly don't see the point in moving that stop a block away... Because you feel the current turn is awkward?

Again, it would take time to make those turns onto & off of 70th (so I'm not seeing much, if any time savings)... Whereas running to veterans/Av U to make the turn is a little more fluid....

Hell, I think the Mill Basin bound turn off flatbush to Av K is awkward (and annoying, if you don't have an experienced driver)... Doesn't mean I think the BM1 should be re-routed in the immediate area....

Edited by B35 via Church

BM6: Express weekday and Saturday service between Beach 116 St/Rockaway Beach Blvd in Rockaway Park, Queens, and 57 St/3 Av in Midtown Manhattan via Beach Channel Dr, Flatbush Av, Cortelyou Rd, Prospect Expy, Brooklyn Battery Tunnel, Downtown Manhattan, FDR Dr, 23 St, 6 Av, and 57 St. Operates from 7AM to 9PM every 30 minutes during weekday rush hours and every hour all other times.

Edited by lara8710

Flatbush Avenue would be a deterrent to use anyways, on top of the current BM's which are close to Flatbush at most points, don't even fill up to begin with that much (off-peak hours). I think peak hour service in the area is served well by the four BM's, no need for a fifth one.

Not necessary. Thats what the QM16 is for

I can't believe it we agree on something.

^^ This guy/gal is still at it w/ this Brooklyn/LGA proposal......

We didn't forget about your proposal... We're purposefully ignoring it - Since again, there's no serious demand for it.....

Quite frankly, you got more commentary than it deserved, to tell the truth.....

I do remember something you said about the B20 being shunned. How frequently does B83 run? How frequently should B13 really be?