Using Single Rides on local buses. Transfer?

Far Rock Depot

Ok. so heres what happened. i get on an eastbound M8 and used a single ride. when i asked for a transfer, he said "no' telling me theyve never issued transfers because its a "single ride".; told him its to another bus. he repeated himself. So instead fo transfering to the M14A, i had to walk the rest of the way home in the rain. During the walk home, i was able to asked two B/Os stopped at a light/bus stop and they both told me i was to be issued a transfer. So i called customer service and was told that no transfers to other local buses are issued. i asked her when did this start? ive been a commuter for decades and never had this problem. she said aways and when i prceded to tell her thats wrong caus every other time for years it wasnt a problem so when did this new policy start? she repeated herslf and rudely put me on hold..."permanant hold". I called a second time and once the rep was clarified that no subway trip was being used, he filed my complaint.

So i would like to as th DOB employees here:

When did this policy(if its true) become effective? Haas the public been notified about this? Transfers have been issued before. Its a one way fare. regardless of how fare was payed, a transfer to a second local bus route is included right? or is this a new scam by having riders pay a quarter more for the convieniance of not having to go find change in exchange for not being issues a "transfer upon request at fare payment?

Thanks for all inquiries peeps.

Yes, you should have been issued a paper transfer.

(But why do you use $2.50 single rides on buses when you could pay $2.25 in coins or $2.10 with a bonus MetroCard? Even without the transfer issue, you're ripping yourself off.)

If its a single ride card or with the fare of 2.25 via change, then a transfer is always given when requested.

Just in case if this involves the card itself. Just covering all the bases.

658_002.jpg

Well, even internally its debated. Thanks for the pic Cait Sith! I totally forgot it said that in the back.

@Andrew I couldn't get change, nor did I have an empty ppr metrocard to just add 2.25.

Someone needs to tell the driver of run 8 on the M8 and 2 customer reps this.

Well, today I'm at work and only have 3 bucks with no where to get change without spending money and no empty metrocard to add 2.25 to. I'm assuming the summer pick has begun and ill be stuck with that same driver till september. I'm going to try again and this time, show him the back of the ticket and see what happens.

Summer pick doesn't start until July 8th....s/he is acting like a complete ass...these are the situations when you should write a letter...remember the pen is mightier than the sword don't even waste your breath arguing...I remember when I was younger this same thing happened to me on the Bx12 it was extremely frustrating.

Well, even internally its debated. Thanks for the pic Cait Sith! I totally forgot it said that in the back.

@Andrew I couldn't get change, nor did I have an empty ppr metrocard to just add 2.25.

Someone needs to tell the driver of run 8 on the M8 and 2 customer reps this.

As I said, you should have gotten the transfer - but I still don't understand why you would choose to pay $2.50. Every bank and many stores will gladly give you a roll of quarters for a $10, or, better yet, buy a MetroCard for $10 and you earn a 7% bonus. Instead of using up $10 over four rides, your MetroCard will have $1.70 left over, and you can refill it with another $10 to bring the balance up to $12.40 (enough for five rides with $1.15 left over). In the long run, the savings are substantial.

As I said, you should have gotten the transfer - but I still don't understand why you would choose to pay $2.50. Every bank and many stores will gladly give you a roll of quarters for a $10, or, better yet, buy a MetroCard for $10 and you earn a 7% bonus. Instead of using up $10 over four rides, your MetroCard will have $1.70 left over, and you can refill it with another $10 to bring the balance up to $12.40 (enough for five rides with $1.15 left over). In the long run, the savings are substantial.

as i stated before, sometimes i have only one way fare on me and no empty metrocard forcing me to get a single ride.

I know the fare differences. Sometimes the single ride is my only option.

UPDATE: that driver last friday let me on for free apologizing for being wrong and not giving me a transfer. Respect.

(But why do you use $2.50 single rides on buses when you could pay $2.25 in coins or $2.10 with a bonus MetroCard? Even without the transfer issue, you're ripping yourself off.)

Exactly why I never used one to this day.....

UPDATE: that driver last friday let me on for free apologizing for being wrong and not giving me a transfer. Respect.

Good.

at least he swallowed his pride & carried out proper policy when you boarded w/ the single ride this time.....

I've got the same problem on the B64. He said no for the transfer after I used the single-ride metro and I was like "What?! The card said so". Probably he only gives out transfers if I paid 2.25 in coins. Damn the MTA needs to know what they are putting in the single-ride metrocards.

And by the way, the bus operator gave a mean look after I asked him for transfer.

Paid $2.50 for the metrocard and I don't get a transfer. What a waste of my money !

Archived