What was your 1st ride on an MTA "express bus?"

S78 via Hylan

I used to ride the BxM1/2/3 fairly regularly since I was very little (<3 years old), so I don't remember my first ride on an express bus but I know it was on a 3000-series MCI Classic on one of those three routes; I think my first time on an express bus after the (MTA) bus takeover was on a D4500 on the BxM3 during the summer of 2008.

^ Same here, although I haven't even ridden an NJT MCI (only NJT buses I've ridden are NABIs). I'll probably take one in the future, if I can justify the cost.

I'm sure you've used Long Island RailRoad or MetroNorth... Not sure what the difference is that makes the price so justifiable vs an express bus esp. when they cost far more than an express bus ride... <_<

I'm sure you've used Long Island RailRoad or MetroNorth... Not sure what the difference is that makes the price so justifiable vs an express bus esp. when they cost far more than an express bus ride... <_<

How are you so sure he's used the LIRR or MNRR? And how do you know it wasn't to reach an area inaccessable by local bus & subway?

My first express ride was back in 2004 on the X17 during middays. We actually planned to take the S44 to the ferry, and then we saw the X17 and asked if it went to Manhattan, so we decided to try it out. It sure was faster than the ferry, I'll tell you that (Come to think about it, it took a while before I realized that the S62 was faster than the S44, but that's another story).

I've only used LIRR once in my life, and it was way back in the days when you couldn't just Google direction on your phone (around 2005). I thought it was my only way of getting home from where I happen to be at the time. If i had proper directions, I could have walked a couple blocks and caught a LIB to a subway station and avoided the $7 (not 100% sure of the price) expense.

Express buses you use to get to SI, to deep Brooklyn, to deep Queens, or to get to Riverdale and Co-Op City. If I'm going to SI (god help me) I take the ferry, if I'm going to Brooklyn I take the traina and the bus, if I'm going to Queens I take the bus, and if I'm going to the Bronx I take the train and then the bus. I only ever use Metro-North if I'm taking a much longer trip, never used it for something as short as an express bus trip. They're not equivalent for me.

Express buses you use to get to SI, to deep Brooklyn, to deep Queens, or to get to Riverdale and Co-Op City. If I'm going to SI (god help me) I take the ferry, if I'm going to Brooklyn I take the traina and the bus, if I'm going to Queens I take the bus, and if I'm going to the Bronx I take the train and then the bus. I only ever use Metro-North if I'm taking a much longer trip, never used it for something as short as an express bus trip. They're not equivalent for me.

lol... I'm not sure what you consider to be short because getting to Riverdale from Midtown can be over an hour easily at times depending on traffic.

and if I'm going to the Bronx I take the train and then the bus.

How about if you're going to Riverdale? :lol:

lol... I'm not sure what you consider to be short because getting to Riverdale from Midtown can be over an hour easily at times depending on traffic.

He said he doesn't take buses to go to Staten Island and that can easily be over an hour even without traffic. (And with the subway and ferry, it could take close to an hour just to get to St. George from Midtown). Obviously he doesn't consider an hour short.

How about if you're going to Riverdale? :lol:

Honestly I barely go to Riverdale, but there's a 1 train for that.

Honestly I barely go to Riverdale, but there's a 1 train for that.

lol... I have a buddy of mine who lives around the corner from me there on Johnson (Dominican dude) and he used to take the (1) train all the way to work where I'm at here on 5th Avenue. Don't know how he did it, but that could never be me. Now he uses MetroNorth. Occasionally I see him on the 09:22 from time to time out of Spuyten Duyvil.

Archived