Poll - Who do you think should get the R211 contract?

RPTA

Now that the R179 contract has been awarded to Bombardier, who do you think should get the R211 contract?

Here is a partial list of manufacturers:

• Bombardier Transportation
  • Kawasaki
  • Alstom
  • Siemens
  • Nippon Sharyo
  • Kinki Sharyo
  • Construcciones y Auxiliar de Ferrocarriles (CAF)
  • AnsaldoBreda
  • Škoda Transportation

While I'm quite happy that Bombardier won the R179 contract, I personally would like to see Siemens win the R211 contract.

The MTA will only buy cars built in New York State IIRC, and Siemens manufacturing facilities are in California. Kinkisharyo only makes LRVs and their facility is in New Jersey (I don't even know if the NJ facility is still open), the other guys IDK about their locations (besides Kawasaki, Alstom, Bombardier, and CAF, all of which have NY facilities). Personally, I'd like Bombardier to win it, though I really wouldn't mind any of them. I'd prefer Kawasaki not get it though, since they've gotten their fair share of NYCT car orders, and I wouldn't want Alstom either since I don't really like their propulsion.

Bombardier with Alstom propulsion, probably. I don't care much, but Bombardier really did a good job with the R142s. People complain that NTTs aren't sturdy and tough enough, but the R142s seem like the most obvious counterexample.

Bombardier makes their own propulsion now which will be on the 179s, so no Alstom propulsion.

The MTA will only buy cars built in New York State IIRC, and Siemens manufacturing facilities are in California. Kinkisharyo only makes LRVs and their facility is in New Jersey (I don't even know if the NJ facility is still open), the other guys IDK about their locations (besides Kawasaki, Alstom, Bombardier, and CAF, all of which have NY facilities). Personally, I'd like Bombardier to win it, though I really wouldn't mind any of them. I'd prefer Kawasaki not get it though, since they've gotten their fair share of NYCT car orders, and I wouldn't want Alstom either since I don't really like their propulsion.

NYC Subway cars made by CAF might be an interesting change. Still, I would think it would most likely be Kawasaki, Bombardier, or Alstom for the R211.

Didn't they always make their own propulsion? It seems to be common for NYCT to use a different company for the propulsion than the carbody builder.

Strangely, the R142s were made by Bombardier but used Alstom propulsion, while at the same time, the R142As and R143s were made by Kawasaki but used Bombardier propulsion.

Strangely, the R142s were made by Bombardier but used Alstom propulsion, while at the same time, the R142As and R143s were made by Kawasaki but used Bombardier propulsion.

I know that the R142s used Alstom propulsion, I just was asking whether Bombardier could have made the propulsion.

I know that the R142s used Alstom propulsion, I just was asking whether Bombardier could have made the propulsion.

Actually, Bombardier got the propulsion technology from AdTranz, who they bought out in 2001. As far as I know, the contracts were already in place prior to the Bombardier acquisition of AdTranz. I don't think Bombardier had a propulsion system of their own prior to the buyout of AdTranz.

Actually, Bombardier got the propulsion technology from AdTranz, who they bought out in 2001. As far as I know, the contracts were already in place prior to the Bombardier acquisition of AdTranz. I don't think Bombardier had a propulsion system of their own prior to the buyout of AdTranz.

That would be correct. Besides, why would anyone want to give another contract to Alstom in the first place? Bunch of sore losing pricks. Let them come up with a genuinely better proposal before they get anything else from this country.

Hopefully this thread does not collapse like many other future car threads from the past....

For the R211, thats far back. I'm keeping my focus on whats here today.

Kawasaki or Alstom, I heard the R211's will be JUST like the R160's with Advanced Technology, (MTA) posted they want to have a standardized Fleet, you all should know what that means

And it makes sense! But all I can say, wait and see..

I won't get my hopes up regarding the look. The MTA seems pretty satisfied with the boring, stale, homogenized fleet. The very least I hope is they pick something other than black for the front of the trains. Make them: blue, red, etc. Something to distinguish them from the R143/160s.

How about making the NYC Subway a bit sexy and give it a modern and sleek flair, give Bombardier the order and the train's style should be the one photo'd in the link below.

http://en.wikipedia....nto_subway_car)

That's a great look. With how trains are now in sets vs married pairs, there's no need for the ends of every car to be the same. The R40s slope style could be applied now as cabs are full width and the middle cars no longer have cabs. So those gates won't be as needed as they were.

Now that the R179 contract has been awarded to Bombardier, who do you think should get the R211 contract?

Here is a partial list of manufacturers:

• Bombardier Transportation

• Kawasaki

• Alstom

• Siemens

• Nippon Sharyo

• Kinki Sharyo

• Construcciones y Auxiliar de Ferrocarriles (CAF)

• AnsaldoBreda

• Škoda Transportation

While I'm quite happy that Bombardier won the R179 contract, I personally would like to see Siemens win the R211 contract.

I've got 2 more transportation manufacturers the (MTA) should consider, either Pullman Standard or Westinghouse Amrail. I might be sure that the Second Avenue Subway will be the same platform length as the (A), (B), (C), (D), (E), (F), (N), (Q), and (R) lines on the BMT and IND Subway Systems.

I've got 2 more transportation manufacturers the (MTA) should consider, either Pullman Standard or Westinghouse Amrail. I might be sure that the Second Avenue Subway will be the same platform length as the (A), (B), (C), (D), (E), (F), (N), (Q), and (R) lines on the BMT and IND Subway Systems.

Both of those are out of business.

On Subchat I considered Jewett or Niles building the R211s.

Archived