NIMBYs Strike Again! Long Island City Residents Frustrated With LIRR Noise

6 Lexington Ave

It seems possible from Google Earth to build a platform over the yards and then put up a park on top of the platform. That way the can't hear the noise, the yard still exists underneath, and there is a park above.

It's a really, really bad idea when you have things that spew off emissions

This is up there with the perpetually-unhappy people who live along the Far Rockaway branch...complaining about the noise from trains that run on tracks laid well before their great-grandparents. The nerve of these animals. They should all be hanged. Stupidity is a great disservice to society.

The nerve of these animals. They should all be hanged. Stupidity is a great disservice to society.

What in the world are you talking about??? They have the right to complain, even if it's stupid and annoying. Living in a police state where everybody who you don't like gets killed sounds great until you ever disagree with the police...

Living in a police state where everybody who you don't like gets killed sounds great until you ever disagree with the police...

It's only a police state when the police do the punishing. ;-)

This is up there with the perpetually-unhappy people who live along the Far Rockaway branch...complaining about the noise from trains that run on tracks laid well before their great-grandparents. The nerve of these animals. They should all be hanged. Stupidity is a great disservice to society.

People shouldn't have the attitude that society needs to get rid of everybody who gets on their nerves. I mean, it applies to this forum that we're using right now. Just like you can't ban every single member who says annoying things, you have to accept that other people have the freedom to be annoying to a certain degree in society. It's just plain selfishness to defend your freedom when you think that other people don't have the freedom to say things that bother you. Buy some earplugs if it's so terrible to listen to these complainers, and by all means, stop reading this thread.

People shouldn't have the attitude that society needs to get rid of everybody who gets on their nerves. I mean, it applies to this forum that we're using right now. Just like you can't ban every single member who says annoying things, you have to accept that other people have the freedom to be annoying to a certain degree in society. It's just plain selfishness to defend your freedom when you think that other people don't have the freedom to say things that bother you. Buy some earplugs if it's so terrible to listen to these complainers, and by all means, stop reading this thread.

Kool-Aid tastes good on a hot day like this, doesn't it?

It just insane when these yuppies come into NYC and wan't to make changes to suit theirselves, then drive up costs. The freaking yard was there before the development was built and I'm sure the noise was there when they went to view the place and before they moved in; now its bothering you. Stop complaining and use some damn common sense!

It just insane when these yuppies come into NYC and wan't to make changes to suit theirselves, then drive up costs. The freaking yard was there before the development was built and I'm sure the noise was there when they went to view the place and before they moved in; now its bothering you. Stop complaining and use some damn common sense!

sorry to break it to you but common sense does not exist I know I know I just learned that the hard way out on the forums and in life not gonna point fingers. However some I get along with

You can't really call them nimby's because its not their back yard. That train yard been there way before they even thought about putting housing there. They knew where they were moving next too....

That seems to be irrelevant. ("I'm here now, so this train yard is a completely new and unprecedented land use.")

That seems to be irrelevant. ("I'm here now, so this train yard is a completely new and unprecedented land use.")

I was responding to the title .Nimby's are mostly people who don't want no change to their neighborhood ,like new development. Some think that will cause a change to their surroundings thats why it stands for Not In My Back Yard. But they are the change to the yard surroundings. So please explain to me how is that irrelevant.

I was responding to the title .Nimby's are mostly people who don't want no change to their neighborhood ,like new development. Some think that will cause a change to their surroundings thats why it stands for Not In My Back Yard. But they are the change to the yard surroundings. So please explain to me how is that irrelevant.

Easy... These particular neighbors are rewriting history so that the world began the day they moved in. ("I didn't see or hear the trains before I arrived. Therefore, I was here first and the trains represent an undesirable change.")

Easy... These particular neighbors are rewriting history so that the world began the day they moved in. ("I didn't see or hear the trains before I arrived. Therefore, I was here first and the trains represent an undesirable change.")

Where both on the same page and we both agree that their clueless. But even the biggest Nimbys in Manhattan would laugh at their cause. For example i live 4 blocks away from LGA. It would be foolish or downright idiotic for the CB in neighborhood to ask LGA to quiet the planes and move them somewhere else.People move here for location knowing well that planes fly over our houses daily and we here hear engines very early in the morning but we deal with it. Same goes for the people in LIC where location is great towards Manhattan ,but the difference is they forgot the memo that a train yard is nearby and is very noisy.

Archived