NIMBYs Strike Again! Long Island City Residents Frustrated With LIRR Noise

6 Lexington Ave

"Neighbors of a Long Island Railroad rail yard say they have had it with the constant noise.

Residents of Borden Avenue in Long Island City say noise pollution from nearby idling trains is severely disrupting their quality of life.

City Councilman Jimmy Van Bramer says noise complaints have increased in recent years as new housing developments have brought many new families to the neighborhood.

"We have asked Long Island Railroad to move these trains, to turn the engines off and to stop the idling," he said.

"The idea that you could shut down an operation like this, and one by the way, that's been here for over 100 years, a working train yard for over 100 years, it's just not realistic," said LIRR spokesperson Salvatore Arena.

The LIRR said it has implemented some rules to reduce noise, including changing equipment schedules and moving idle trains as far from Borden Ave as possible."

http://www.ny1.com/c...with-lirr-noise

(ridiculous, I couldn't agree more with the spokesman..)

City Councilman Jimmy Van Bramer says noise complaints have increased in recent years as new housing developments have brought many new families to the neighborhood.

"We have asked Long Island Railroad to move these trains, to turn the engines off and to stop the idling," he said.

Hmmm, has he ever thought that perhaps as more people come, the more likely someone is going to hear noise? Perhaps if there weren't as many people there, there wouldn't be as many complaints.

I means, that correlation doesn't necessarily causation, but just saying. (It does)

And tell us, Van Bramer, where, oh, where can we put these trains?

You can't really call them nimby's because its not their back yard. That train yard been there way before they even thought about putting housing there. They knew where they were moving next too , they don't like the noise tough luck !

You can't really call them nimby's because its not their back yard. That train yard been there way before they even thought about putting housing there. They knew where they were moving next too , they don't like the noise tough luck !

I would like this post, but I have reached my quota... :(

Like what? Stop running the trains?

I don't know what they should do...I'm definitely not complaining; like I said, It's not the MTA's responsibility to stop the noise. But if they can come up with some sort of way to make it quieter, than that would be good. As everybody is saying, though, that's seeming unlikely.

Wait they really can not do a thing because IIRC the area around the LIC yard is zoned industrial....so when these NIMBY's were looking at those fancy condo's and such they should have seen the train yard.

You are quite right. That zone is industrial so they can't say anything at all. Most of them are probably drones who wanted to be "closer to their jobs" at that trashy citi bank building. They didn't stop and think for second and say; "Hey if I live next to a train yard I will hear all of the sounds that emanate from that said yard, and if I hear those loud sounds they will keep me up at night, and if I am kept up at night I will end up being an annoying, irritating person who has the audacity to complain about a life choice that was totally based on preference."

head-desk-facepalm-demotivational-poster-1274356860.jpg

It seems possible from Google Earth to build a platform over the yards and then put up a park on top of the platform. That way the can't hear the noise, the yard still exists underneath, and there is a park above.

Build a platform over a strictly diesel yard? WOW!

Don't New Jersey Transit and Amtrak makes noise also when they go into Sunnyside Yard for layover?

Even Subway's Flushing and Astoria Line also makes noise?

If trains are stored in LI or near Jamaica, LIRR Rush Hour service or Cannonball service might become late.

You can leave vents to vent out the exhaust, but I think this proposal would be too expensive. I think trees and a sound barrier which was mentioned above would do just fine.

I don't the MTA will or even should do anything about it. It's a industrial zone and has been one for years. People chose to live in that zone and all of the hazards with it. They have the right to complain and will continue but with no results.

Archived