Free WiFi Through September at Six Subway Stations

Free WiFi is available through September 7 in six subway stations in Manhattan's Chelsea neighborhood.

transit_wifi.jpg

The pioneering project – sponsored by Google offers and provided by Boingo Wireless – keeps New York straphangers connected to the latest news, information and fun and is part of Transit Wireless's contract with the Metropolitan Transportation Authority to provide wireless service in 270 underground subway stations, including both cellular DAS networks and Wi-Fi infrastructure.

Riders can maintain their digital lifestyle – connecting to the Internet with smartphones, tablets, e-readers and other wireless devices while waiting for a train at six Chelsea stations. Users should look for the "Free Boingo WiFi" SSID to make sure they're connecting to the official subway network.

In 2012, cell phone, data and Wi-Fi access from Transit Wireless and Boingo will expand to 30 additional stations on Manhattan's West Side, including Times Square, Rockefeller Center and Columbus Circle. Wireless services ultimately will be available to 1.6 billion annual riders at more than 270 underground stations throughout Manhattan, Brooklyn, The Bronx and Queens.

The subway system would become New York City's largest Wi-Fi hotzone and each underground station will serve as a digital oasis where riders can find reliable, easy-to-use Internet access.

"We're glad our riders will be able to access free WiFi this summer in six subway stations to stay connected while they're underground," said MTA Director of Strategic Initiatives Jerome Page. "Reliable WiFi underground is an important benefit for straphangers in New York City subway stations."

Subway stations where Wi-Fi is available are:

• a.pngc.pnge.png at 14 St
  • l.png at 8 Av
  • c.pnge.png at 23 St
  • 1.png2.png3.png at 14 St
  • f.pngm.png at 14 St
  • l.png at 6 Av

Under agreements with the MTA and Transit Wireless, AT&T and T-Mobile customers can now use their cell phones and also send and receive wireless data messages from these stations.

As part of the service, E911 also provides added security underground with uninterrupted access to 911 and the ability for 911 dispatchers to know when a call is being placed at street level or underground in the subway. Wi-Fi has started at these stations and it has proved successful.

Boingo sucks raw ass. It sucks at JFK and everywhere I've used it.

Of course they would choose them! They choose the cheapest service avalible, and then the customers complain that it sucks, then the (MTA) dosen't give a damn about it because they have "more important matters to handle."

Nice! Hopefully they get Sprint cell service in the stations next or soon, since I have Sprint, but I think it makes more sense for them to be focusing on getting Verizon next. Most people use Verizon for wireless, I don't get why they didn't try to get their network installed first instead of AT&T & T-Mobile.

Boingo sucks raw ass. It sucks at JFK and everywhere I've used it.

Yeah, I agree, especially considering that you actually have to pay for it at the airports. Is the Port Authority so damn cheap that they can't have free wi-fi like almost every other airport I've been to? Thankfully JFK Terminal 5 (the JetBlue terminal) has a separate and free wi-fi service, and I fly JetBlue a lot.

Nice! Hopefully they get Sprint cell service in the stations next or soon, since I have Sprint, but I think it makes more sense for them to be focusing on getting Verizon next. Most people use Verizon for wireless, I don't get why they didn't try to get their network installed first instead of AT&T & T-Mobile.

Yeah, I agree, especially considering that you actually have to pay for it at the airports. Is the Port Authority so damn cheap that they can't have free wi-fi like almost every other airport I've been to? Thankfully JFK Terminal 5 (the JetBlue terminal) has a separate and free wi-fi service, and I fly JetBlue a lot.

why because its easier for them to use gsm networks before than to get wcdm networks which takes time to do.

If you wanna boost your Wireless Connection, just look for these babies in the ceiling. This is the Wireless Router. I noticed I passed these and the signal boosted, plus the labeling on one of the pipes..

slsd21.jpg

I have verizon, so I can't comment on the phone reception, but the wifi sucks in these stations. This is not new info- the wifi has been in place for a while, and I have tried it on the (F) platforms at 14th street and the (E) at 14th--the signal will show up, but I can never actually connect to a website.

Also, I just love how the MTA has all the "keep electronics hidden to prevent robberies" campaigns while installing wifi, which will...get more people to pull out their electronic devices. Real intelligent.

Of course they would choose them! They choose the cheapest service avalible, and then the customers complain that it sucks, then the (MTA) dosen't give a damn about it because they have "more important matters to handle."

If I recall correctly, the MTA isn't paying for it. The Wi-Fi provider is paying for the installation.

The only addition to what they've had/been testing since last year is 23rd Street (C)(E)... I'm always reminded where I'm at when I roll into one of these stations and my phone starts getting text messages.

I'm writing you up for having your phone on while on duty.

Archived