What would be the best way to improve weekend CPW service?

CDTA

Maybe a weekend (B) Train service might help riders along Central Park West in Manhattan, but I'm also thinking of another Manhattan Bridge switcheroo on Sunday February 22nd, 2015. Meaning that the (B) Train will once again run along the pre-July 22nd 2001 route on the West End Line operating between 145th St, Manhattan and Coney Island-Stillwell Av, Brooklyn skipping DeKalb Av at all times except weekday rush hours (trains are extended to Bedford Park Blvd, Bronx and stop at DeKalb Av). (D) Trains will once again run along its pre-July 22nd 2001 route on the Brighton Line, operating between Norwood-205th St, Bronx and Coney Island-Stillwell Av, Brooklyn running local in The Bronx and Brooklyn and express in Manhattan at all times, except weekday rush hours (peak direction only from 6:15-9:10 AM southbound and from 3:04-6:12 PM northbound, (D) Trains run express in The Bronx). Also, the (Q) Train will start running along the former <Q> line operating between 57th St-7th Av, Manhattan and Brighton Beach, Brooklyn weekdays only (late nights and weekends, (Q) Trains run to Astoria-Ditmars Blvd, Queens).

What on Earth are you talking about? The MTA doesn't have any plans to switch the (B) and (D) trains back to their pre-July 2001 service patterns in 2015. Nor do they have plans to make the (Q) the Brighton Express. And why should they? The current service patterns work just fine.

Now, as for weekend CPW service. Either run more (C) trains or run the (B) between 145th St (or even 168th) and 2nd Ave. No need for a weekend-only (K) service on top of the (C). The only reason to bring back the letrer (K) on 8th Ave is to rename one of the (A) branches in Queens.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's about capacity in the Cranberry St tubes, I think.

Even so, 8-min headways on the (C) corresponds to 7.5 TPH. The (A), outside of morning hours when it is more frequent, runs 8-minute headways (7.5 TPH) on Saturdays, with less service on Sunday. Hence, on a typical weekend with increased (C) service you'd have a maximum of 15-18 TPH through the tubes, so capacity shouldn't be an issue (compared to rush hours, anyway); I'm sure Cranberry can handle much more than 18 TPH peak.

Pre-cuts, the (A)(C) ran exactly those numbers. It was the (C) service that was cut back, the (A) was left alone because of the split terminals at the other end. I suspect those numbers will return. The (D) will also return to the 8-min headways (which I mentioned earlier and CCE mentioned again more recently). As TA said, they want to focus on the weekend, part of which has been dealt with by FASTRACK.

even though its just weekends, even all times I would have extend the (E) to Euclid to replace the (C) and have selected rush Hour trips to WTC (its current terminal) and have the (C) run between 168th st and WTC all times including at night and have the (A) run EXP in manhattan all times) have the (C) run every 3-5 mins during the rush hour and during the day have it run every 8 mins, the (E) would still keep its headways, at night the (E) would turn at WTC, this idea i think would help 8th ave out and it would also help out the Local Fulton st riders due to the (E)'s increased headways, the (E) can ether stay 100% R160's or use half of the (A)/©'s R32's or r46's doesn't matter, the (C) would still be 8 cars but with better headways

even though its just weekends, even all times I would have extend the (E) to Euclid to replace the (C) and have selected rush Hour trips to WTC (its current terminal) and have the (C) run between 168th st and WTC all times including at night and have the (A) run EXP in manhattan all times) have the (C) run every 3-5 mins during the rush hour and during the day have it run every 8 mins, the (E) would still keep its headways, at night the (E) would turn at WTC, this idea i think would help 8th ave out and it would also help out the Local Fulton st riders due to the (E)'s increased headways, the (E) can ether stay 100% R160's or use half of the (A)/©'s R32's or r46's doesn't matter, the (C) would still be 8 cars but with better headways

facepalm.gifWHY is this helpful? Just increase (C) service if you want to help the Fulton line...

Plus, you'll have real bottlenecks at Canal St and Hoyt-Schermerhorn. And, are there even enough cars to do this?

facepalm.gifWHY is this helpful? Just increase (C) service if you want to help the Fulton line...

Plus, you'll have real bottlenecks at Canal St and Hoyt-Schermerhorn. And, are there even enough cars to do this?

thats why i said the (E) would use half of the (A) or (C) equipment, the (C) uses 18 transets currently, the (E) uses 26 train sets unless that changed by having the (C) ending at WTC at all times Would help the (C) would use about 10 train sets the rest would be used on the (E), if they modify the amount of trains and etc. it could work, thats just my idea, even though this won't really happen

thats why i said the (E) would use half of the (A) or (C) equipment, the (C) uses 18 transets currently, the (E) uses 26 train sets unless that changed by having the (C) ending at WTC at all times Would help the (C) would use about 10 train sets the rest would be used on the (E), if they modify the amount of trains and etc. it could work, thats just my idea, even though this won't really happen

Firstly, you said that the (C) should run every 3-5 minutes, so I've got a feeling that you wouldn't have very many cars left after all. Still, I'm waiting to hear WHY this is better than just increasing (C) service.

Firstly, you said that the (C) should run every 3-5 minutes, so I've got a feeling that you wouldn't have very many cars left after all. Still, I'm waiting to hear WHY this is better than just increasing (C) service.

they have a lot of cars left that just sits around, the (C) during normal times uses 144 out of 222 current R32's so there would be enough to ether increase (C) service or an (E) extension, this was just an idea i threw in, because it would help, i rather a (C) train run at WTC at night than to ride a local (A) train

Have the (A) arrive twice within the first ten minutes with the (C) arriving once, next ten minutes the (C) arrives twice and the (A) once during rush hour and midday on weekdays (and weekends too). The (C) can end at midnight and begin at the AM Rush.

Actually, since the subject has been moved to weekends service, we can send it trough Rutgers.

NONONONONONONONONONONONONONONO, NO.

That will cause a bottle neck at W.4th, not a good idea at ALL.

Because people here want to see the (K) just for the sake of seeing a new line. In other words, FOAM. There's no point in a new route. Just make the (D) local, or have the (B) run on weekends. You might as well increase (C) service and have some trips run shorter.

I AM NOT A FOAMER!!!!!!

I am serious about the (K). Short turning (C)'s is the same thing, except having random (C)'s terminate at WTC will DEFINITELY confuse people. That's why I'd designate those trips as (K).

Threxx maybe a young teen at 12-13 years of age lol that thinks he knows everything on NYC subway.

Are you implying something about my age again? :angry:

they have a lot of cars left that just sits around, the (C) during normal times uses 144 out of 222 current R32's so there would be enough to ether increase (C) service or an (E) extension, this was just an idea i threw in, because it would help, i rather a (C) train run at WTC at night than to ride a local (A) train

This makes no sense. Short turing (C)'s and/or bringing back the (K) makes more sense as you don't overserve 8th, and you have spare cars left over. This is just going to stretch the spares thin. The (A) is fine late nights. It's not about what you'd rather do, it's about what's best for the system.

The (K) shouldn't be used. Make use of the (D) or the (B), but not the (K). And people should realize that we are talking about a weekend expansion. Why would the MTA make a new route just for the weekends? And what would happen on weekdays? 3 lines using the local tracks?

I explained this. The (K) would be six TPH. It won't be overcrowded. You're not taking the idea seriously because you saw (K) and automatically though "FOAM". Don't do that, it's narrow-minded.

How about just increasing weekend (C) service? There seems to be enough room in the Cranberry St tubes.

Not really, Fulton Street dosen't need the extra service, but Manhattan does, that's why the (K) makes more sense, The (K) can supplment weekdays as well...

Umm... Fulton can use extra service as well. The area between Broadway Junction and Euclid is always quiet, but the service is aimed at the growing areas north of the junction.

I have lived on that line for years, and I have never been on a crowded train on Fulton (weekends). The service isn't needed.

Not really, Fulton Street dosen't need the extra service, but Manhattan does, that's why the (K) makes more sense, The (K) can supplment weekdays as well...

Again, why shouldn't Fulton Local riders benefit from increased (C) service? I posted the CPW local numbers earlier in the thread; I suppose I should post the Fulton Local ridership numbers also (from 2011 - in weekday / Sat / Sun format):

Lafayette: 4,665 / 3,964 / 2,860

Clinton-Wash: 5,698 / 3,833 / 2,984

Franklin*: 4,629 / 3,452 / 2,839

Kingston-Throop: 5,152 / 3,579 / 2,756

Ralph: 5,007 / 3,227 / 2,426

Rockaway: 4,971 / 2,946 / 2,206

Liberty: 2,687 / 1,369 / 1,078

Van Siclen: 2,854 / 1,804 / 1,373

Shepherd: 2,968 / 1,793 / 1,395

SUM: 38,631 / 25,967 / 19,917

MEAN: 4,293 / 2,886 / 2,213

*Franklin ridership shown only 4/5 of the total, rounded up, to account for the shuttle; the Franklin (S) uses 150' consists which is 1/4 of a full trainlength.

So yes, Fulton Local stations have less ridership than CPW local stations. But then again, the corridor only sees 7 TPH peak during rush hours and 5-6 TPH other times - hardly a frequency that would encourage ridership (the Fulton express stops - even the ones not shared with other lines - have much higher numbers, which leads me to believe that more weekend service would encourage some ridership here). Additionally, there is no need whatsoever for a weekday (K) service; the (E) supplements the (C) in the 8th Ave CBD with frequent service, while the (B) supplements the (C) on the CPW.

Again, why shouldn't Fulton Local riders benefit from increased (C) service? I posted the CPW local numbers earlier in the thread; I suppose I should post the Fulton Local ridership numbers also (from 2011 - in weekday / Sat / Sun format):

Lafayette: 4,665 / 3,964 / 2,860

Clinton-Wash: 5,698 / 3,833 / 2,984

Franklin*: 4,629 / 3,452 / 2,839

Kingston-Throop: 5,152 / 3,579 / 2,756

Ralph: 5,007 / 3,227 / 2,426

Rockaway: 4,971 / 2,946 / 2,206

Liberty: 2,687 / 1,369 / 1,078

Van Siclen: 2,854 / 1,804 / 1,373

Shepherd: 2,968 / 1,793 / 1,395

SUM: 38,631 / 25,967 / 19,917

MEAN: 4,293 / 2,886 / 2,213

*Franklin ridership shown only 4/5 of the total, rounded up, to account for the shuttle; the Franklin (S) uses 150' consists which is 1/4 of a full trainlength.

So yes, Fulton Local stations have less ridership than CPW local stations. But then again, the corridor only sees 7 TPH peak during rush hours and 5-6 TPH other times - hardly a frequency that would encourage ridership (the Fulton express stops - even the ones not shared with other lines - have much higher numbers, which leads me to believe that more weekend service would encourage some ridership here). Additionally, there is no need whatsoever for a weekday (K) service; the (E) supplements the (C) in the 8th Ave CBD with frequent service, while the (B) supplements the (C) on the CPW.

I never said they shouldn't benefit. I agree with the notion that the (C) should be 7-8 TPH on weekends, it just isn't pressing. The (K) / (C) short turns should be implemented on weekends, bringing the (C) to 12 TPH. (7 to Brooklyn, 5 terminating in Manhattan.)

So you're saying you agreed with the service cut when the (C) was slashed back to 10 mins from 8. As you know, the (A) never changed at all for obvious reasons.

No, I didn't. I never said that anywhere!

I never said they shouldn't benefit. I agree with the notion that the (C) should be 7-8 TPH on weekends, it just isn't pressing. The (K) / (C) short turns should be implemented on weekends, bringing the (C) to 12 TPH. (7 to Brooklyn, 5 terminating in Manhattan.)

You say 7-8 TPH worth of weekend service on the (C) isn't pressing, yet you press for 12 TPH for CPW...which is it?

Realistically, methinks the MTA will either increase weekend (C) service to 8-min headways or do nothing at all; the money this (K) service would cost is better used beefing up service around the city.

I would have no problem with solution 1A ( (B) weekend service). It is the most cost-effective and most practical idea. I don't see why extra tracks in the tunnel are needed to run more than 6 TPH on the (C). They are able to manage just fine with the increased frequencies on the Fulton Line during rush hour. They could run the (B) from 145th St-Herald Square on weekends. I have an objection to 1B, because the (M) is needed on Queens Blvd during weekends as the (R) is often more crowded on weekends than weekdays (at least along Queens Blvd) due to mall traffic.

Archived