Question about seats

Abba

Guest Lance

@ Via G: I think the point Tokkemon is trying to make is that regardless of which transit system you're using whether it's the NYC Subway, SEPTA, the MBTA or what have you, the fact remains that they're public transit systems, which means their cleanliness is partially at the mercy of its riders. And let's face it, some of the folks who ride the trains are as nasty as the day is long.

If there's room and the cats don't stink, I'm taking that seat. Furthermore, if the train appears very crowded and I see space in the middle (even if it looks like there's no room through the doorways), I'm squeezing my way on. If cats don't like that - tough. (Please note that I *do* say excuse me and exercise courtesy; just saying what I'd do.)

@ Via G: I think the point Tokkemon is trying to make is that regardless of which transit system you're using whether it's the NYC Subway, SEPTA, the MBTA or what have you, the fact remains that they're public transit systems, which means their cleanliness is partially at the mercy of its riders. And let's face it, some of the folks who ride the trains are as nasty as the day is long.

LOL... This is true, but there is no question that some lines are cleaner than others and I think you know that, which is partially due to like you said, the riders on the line. For example, I find the Riverdale express buses to be pretty clean and the Madison Avenue local buses overall. The Lex. local bus line though is another story, so it varies. However, public transit or not, there is still a certain level of cleanliness that one should expect. It is a service after all.

Guest Lance

So I've noticed.

Anyhow, since I didn't answer the question at hand in the first place, I'll do so now. Unless there's something (or someone) disgusting on the seat, there isn't any room for me comfortably or I'm feeling particularly chivalrous at that time, I'm sitting down. I'm not going to be worried about microscopic germs on the seats, poles, etc. Nasty stains and people? Sure. Stuff I can't see with the naked eye? I really can't be bothered to care that much.

So I've noticed.

Anyhow, since I didn't answer the question at hand in the first place, I'll do so now. Unless there's something (or someone) disgusting on the seat, there isn't any room for me comfortably or I'm feeling particularly chivalrous at that time, I'm sitting down. I'm not going to be worried about microscopic germs on the seats, poles, etc. Nasty stains and people? Sure. Stuff I can't see with the naked eye? I really can't be bothered to care that much.

lol... That's the thing though... That's more common on the subways these days, hence why I stand. I'm telling you I took the (6) train down to Union Square to Whole Foods and there was this guy that got on at 33rd street. Looked like a total bum (dirty and such) and he went and sat down and everyone whirled around at him like he's sitting here? I thought it was funny actually as I was standing of course. I thought to myself better them than me. He had his little cup and everything.

Well, so that's you. We are NOT you, so therefore some of us will take the seat regardless of how dirty it is.

If I see a bum sitting in a seat and get up, obviously in that case, I'm NOT sitting there regardless. In general I try not to sit in the 2 seaters or 4 seaters at the end of the newer trains as that's where those bums tend to have sat in. And if the people are obese or too loud, I would pass on taking the seat and just stand.

Well, so that's you. We are NOT you, so therefore some of us will take the seat regardless of how dirty it is.

If I see a bum sitting in a seat and get up, obviously in that case, I'm NOT sitting there regardless. In general I try not to sit in the 2 seaters or 4 seaters at the end of the newer trains as that's where those bums tend to have sat in. And if the people are obese or too loud, I would pass on taking the seat and just stand.

Yeah I know it's ME and I'm entitled to do as I please, just like you are so don't go giving me grief for choosing to stand on the subway.

Yeah I know it's ME and I'm entitled to do as I please, just like you are so don't go giving me grief for choosing to stand on the subway.

You're the one going on and on in this thread saying how much those seats disgusts you. We get it already... No one is givingyou grief about standing. You do whatever makes you happy, we others will do as we please. That was my point.

You're the one going on and on in this thread saying how much those seats disgusts you. We get it already... No one is givingyou grief about standing. You do whatever makes you happy, we others will do as we please. That was my point.

Very good then. Now let's drop it.

Actually that isn't true. Compare an express bus from Midtown to Downtown to say the (4) train from Grand Central to Bowling Green and they both take about the same amount of time.

Two words: Hell no. I don't think you could get from 42nd Street to Battery Place in 15 minutes on an express bus unless the B/O is flooring it and there are very few people getting on.

In any casem, for me, it depends how much space we're talking about and the people I'll be sitting next to. As long as the seat is reasonably clean and the people aren't obnoxious, I'll sit.

Which express bus route goes from Grand Central to Bowling Green?

Sorry to get off topic...But if we're talking about this, I'd like to know.

lol... I was making a comparison about travel times from Grand Central to Bowling Green and I was talking from experience. For example, if you take the (4) or (5) from Grand Central to Bowling Green, it takes about 20 minutes roughly via subway and it is about the same amount of time on say the X10 or X12 when there is no traffic. I know because I've tried the experiment and I would try to meet an express bus Downtown at the last stop using the (4) or (5) from Grand Central if I was a bit behind trying to get the express bus in Midtown and sometimes I didn't catch it because they both take about the same amount of time.

Archived