Training and Schoolcar...

DOB2RTO

1. So far, it's been books, listening, writing, and watching films. Toady was TWU Orientation at TWU union hall. Roger stopped in to say hello, gave a little speech, then was asked stupid questions, and got some stupid comments from some, who was "hurt" by the strike. I hope they pass everything, so they can see why the TWU really striked. When the MTA bug gets in their a$$, they will see what really goes on here, and how workers are treated. Maybe they will do like I did, and apologize on day 1 of road training to their T/O trainer, when they get chewed out at the end for being late (we all might be late). Outside of that, I wasn't to excited Roger came in. I can't see what the hype is about him.......

2. NASCAR is crazy. Popping jokes all the time, acting crazy, making me laugh.........(I don't call him NASCAR at class)......

3. Tomorrow we get our "stuff". We are back at the school in Brooklyn, and should be measured for our uniforms tomorrow....

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well on the uniforms I have to say the train operator uniforms look pretty good. Engineer pinstripes just like if you were an engineer on an interstate railway. What do the classrooms look like? They have to have desks and chairs like a regular school classroom but what do the instructors write on, blackboards, smartboards or what, is it technologically advanced or very old/dour looking? I imagine it looks more like a big office than a classroom in a regular school.

1. So far, it's been books, listening, writing, and watching films. Toady was TWU Orientation at TWU union hall. Roger stopped in to say hello, gave a little speech, then was asked stupid questions, and got some stupid comments from some, who was "hurt" by the strike.

ha...sounds a lot like classes in school used to be (but im sure you know that ha). always people raising their hands to ask a dumb question or make a dumb comment. I consider myself a smart guy but when I was in school for the most part kept my hand down and my mouth quiet in class...If its really important the instructor will usually talk about it and I alwyas took the attitude of im here to learn NOT im here to show off what i know. I think its Good to participate when you're a little kid cuz face it kids don't have the attention to sit down and listen that long but once people DO no need to play 20 questions...

Remember first year college one kid who had to go on these long tangents, got so bad by the end everyone was groaning the SECOND we saw his hand go shooting up, think we all breathed a sigh of relief when he xferred out...

that said there ARE good questions but i saw them Few and Far between over my classroom days...thankfully that time is done now, at least for the time being

2. NASCAR is crazy. Popping jokes all the time, acting crazy, making me laugh.........(I don't call him NASCAR at class)......

so when do we at NYCTF get to see his "stand up" routine?? ;):D

Well you always get a few in a bunch that think they know it all and then do something supid they may get terminated for it. Lets see for them most part everyone will be late during posting. When I take a student I don't expect them to be on time but I want them to operate safely/properly and work with the Conductor. The last student I had from the Street I was hard on him and I found out a few weeks ago he is operating very well so it was worth me acting like a drill sargent.

We got no tools yet (we will get our vests, keys, and handle tomorrow), and we will have to go down to Manhattan (our instructors will take us there), to get our radios, and other stuff.....Tomorrow the real training starts, and we got introduced to our 2 instructors......

I also took some pics:

B Train

cid__0717080534.jpg

My D train

cid__0717080647.jpg

3 bonus shots (keep mouth suds to a minimum).......One car is still at the school facility.....R110B 3005

cid__0717080953.jpg

cid__0717080954.jpg

cid__0717080955.jpg

You didn't get measured for your uniforms yet wow I got measure for mine before I even went to schoolcar. Hmm I wonder who your assigned motor instructors will be I had 2 great guys that trained me.

Good luck on your signal test !

Well on the uniforms I have to say the train operator uniforms look pretty good. Engineer pinstripes just like if you were an engineer on an interstate railway. What do the classrooms look like? They have to have desks and chairs like a regular school classroom but what do the instructors write on, blackboards, smartboards or what, is it technologically advanced or very old/dour looking? I imagine it looks more like a big office than a classroom in a regular school.
I wish we would get engineer's pay!(L.I.R.R.+METRO NORTH)In fact,an instructor today said it has something to do with the Federal Gov't why we're not called engineers and get the pay:confused:The school is a "SCHOOL" looks exactly like an gradeschool or High School.It has classrooms,desks,chalk boards everything you'd see in a regular school.The classrooms also have some things you'd see in a train station too.Train signals,rails from the tracks,train car in the yard,equipment etc.The T/O students actually sat in the auditorium until we break down into smaller groups.The instructor's for now, show slides and videos and they read to us from the literature that they hand out.I wouldn't call the school advanced like state of the art,but it's not a Pos place either.It's a cool experience!

You didn't get measured for your uniforms yet wow I got measure for mine before I even went to schoolcar. Hmm I wonder who your assigned motor instructors will be I had 2 great guys that trained me.

Good luck on your signal test !

Nope...we all got measured today.The signals are what we HAVE to master.They said we need to get a 100 on the test.DOB met his instructors today,my group didn't get one yet.

What do they use that 110B car for?

Also why is one of its trucks outside the train? Did you see what type of populsion system it had?

I think they use it as a logo for MTA DOS (Department of Subways) Training center logo......

The propulsion, I don't know, and the truck on the outside, is a 3rd truck. Two are under the train where they suppose to be.......

I think they use it as a logo for MTA DOS (Department of Subways) Training center logo......

The propulsion, I don't know, and the truck on the outside, is a 3rd truck. Two are under the train where they suppose to be.......

The R110 is used for training purposes for NYPD TB division if you noticed when you get to the third floor of schoolcar in the gym you will see like a cut out version of a train up there. I believe they also practice lifting the train with airbags for 12-9 accidents as well.

There is also 2 more R110 cars at Coney Island Yard they use for Fire School you will see those soon.

Fire School thats a fun day and I hope the special effects work too!

There is also 2 more R110 cars at Coney Island Yard they use for Fire School you will see those soon.

We go to fire school car Monday. 1500hrs report......

To all: We got our tools, (except radios, and masks)..... A Div people got love, as B Div persons got old heavy used brake handles. A Div's came new, still sealed in the package.......

We go to fire school car Monday. 1500hrs report......

To all: We got our tools, (except radios, and masks)..... A Div people got love, as B Div persons got old heavy used brake handles. A Div's came new, still sealed in the package.......

Pffft A division have fun on that ATS system they use down there I will stick to my good old B Division I like working on different equipment that doesnt watch my every single move.:rolleyes:

Yeah I was kicking and screaming being forced to B Div but after hearing about the ATS in A Div and T/O's being taken out of service left and right now I think it was a Blessing they sent me to B Div. Some of the C/R I know that got promoted with me that got thier A Div are C/R's again.

I see they changed things you use to have to pass your first practical before going to Fire School.

Yeah they got to be nice to the A Div Class after all when your on the road "Thats you to go" will be your new middle name.:rolleyes:

Wait till hes road extra working "The Beast" lol it will be worse than the (L) or (R).:)

Wait till hes road extra working "The Beast" lol it will be worse than the (L) or (R).:)

Please remember, I don't come over as a C/R, or off the street. I come over as a Bronx B/O (MaBSTOA). You all call the 2 line the beast, and speak of hot trains, etc... It's no different than the DOB. You all have steel wheels, I come from rubber ones. Most rules are exacly the same. I've had hot buses, and horrible lines. Try working the Bx41, Bx36, Bx9, M100, Bx19, or the Bx3 during the rush hour. You all will know what "the beast is". They could put me on that 2 line, 5 days a week. From the divison I am coming from, it wouldn't make me flinch......I've dealt with far worse routes, that run for 1hr 17 minutes each way, and you end up later than that. Don't forget a B/O is the C/R, T/O, S/A, and Collecting Agent, all in one.....:D:p:p......We had people watching us on the road (hiding sometimes)......Last thing, I don't worry about what time I will get home, as I don't plan my home life with what time I suppose to clear from work. I plan my home life around my RDOs. So nice try guys.... Hopefully, if I pass everything, have little to no issues with RTO, and become a TSS years down the road, I'll make sure if you two are in your current titles, that I carry four or more pens, since I will run out of ink, writing the list of violations up on you two. I'll make sure I'll write up others rarely, so when i write you two up, it sticks B):P:p:p:p..........

Amen to everything about the DOB. What's a TSS?

Train Servise Supervisors. They go out when there is train trouble, accidents, emergencies, and train new personnel who are new Tower Operators (T/WO), Train Operators (T/O), and Conductors (C/R), etc....Train Dispatchers (T/D) assign jobs, do scheduling, record time, and if in the Yard, they assign trains, find areas for Bad order trains, assist in barn moves (car shop), etc.......

Archived